Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Healing Skin Wounds and Preventing Scars
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:30 pm      Reply with quote
I got a bunch of nasty road rash abrasions over a month ago. One was really bad and large on the inside of my arm. It really hurt at first and scabbed up. The scab fell off about a week or so later, but ever since, even though it doesn't hurt anymore and I don't feel it anymore it is still very pink and dry there. It is like a big pink circle and has some skin peeling. I was putting aloe vera on it and rose hip seed oil to moisturize and prevent scarring, but I can't say I always remember to put it on. Also the smaller ones on my hands and knee are also still pink and not totally healed yet with fresh healthy skin. I know that it takes up to 2 years for wounds to totally remodel the skin and that they never fully regain their original skin strength. But do you know how long these types of wounds should return to a normal skin color and look healed? And is there anything that can be done to help the healing and prevent scaring besides aloe and rose hip seed oil? For over a month now I have had to wear long sleeve shirts and sweaters only. I used to love to wear tank tops or even at least short sleeve shirts. But both because I don't like the way it looks and to protect it from the sun until it looks like normal skin again (hopefully!). Thanks!
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
I heard tea tree oil helps healing!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
A couple of months ago I consulted a homepathic doctor because my wounds (minor cuts, acne etc) were healing very slowly, nothing topical was helping. He tested for diabetes to be on the safe side (and I'm ok). So he recommended that I take Echinacea extract in either homeopathic pellet or regular pill every day. It speeds up healing from the inside. It really helped, I mean I could see the progress within days. He said to take it for 1-2 months though.

And lavender oil helps avoid scarring if applied topically.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
My husband had surgery last year and was advised to use Mederma on the incision. There's absolutely no scar and it's impossible to even detect where he was cut. But abrasions may be different. And timeliness of application may be a factor as well.
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
You may want to check out the Scar Heal site. I ordered the cream and silicone sheets after surgery last year and my scars are barely visible now. Some were keloid scars that were quite raised and are copletely flat and white now. The reddish-pink was gone in about 3 months. You would probably juat need the cream for the scars that your describing. You can check out the site at www.scarheal.com

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:36 pm      Reply with quote
Sportygirl,
do you know if this would work on old scars?
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:49 am      Reply with quote
check out brave soldier: http://www.bravesoldier.com/

it helps to put it on immediately (always carry it in my bicycle bag), but will work even after the fact. it may not be as quick as you'd like, but it does heal! i've had many a nasty road rash and all have healed with nary a scar thanks to brave soldier. it will look normal again! meanwhile, wear your road rash with pride Very Happy
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:50 am      Reply with quote
Thanks. I will look into all these things. When everything was still an open wound I only used herbal anti-bacterials like tea tree oil etc. and calendula gel. I also tried supplementing with extra zinc and vitamin c at the time. I saw the brave solider stuff, but didn't have any. Maybe it would be good to get in case anything like that ever happens again the future. The fact that I was only wearing a short sleeve shirt and no gloves or any other protective gear or clothing when I flew off my bike didn't help.

That is interesting about the echinecia. I had never heard that about echinecia and wounds before. I'll certainly look into it. Gawd, I hope I don't have diabetes or anything. That's why I'm kind of concerned wanting to know what time frame is normal for these types of wounds to heal. The initial healing from open wounds to scabs and then to fresh closed skin all happened in less then 2 weeks. It would of been quicker except for the first several days I had covered them from air to prevent the scabbing stage and then changed my mind and let that happen.

But someone mentioned 3 months for the pink to go away. Is that a normal time frame about too for road rash type of wounds, from those who have had those before? Thanks.
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:01 am      Reply with quote
BYRG wrote:
Gawd, I hope I don't have diabetes or anything. That's why I'm kind of concerned wanting to know what time frame is normal for these types of wounds to heal.... But someone mentioned 3 months for the pink to go away. Is that a normal time frame about too for road rash type of wounds, from those who have had those before? Thanks.

i seriously doubt you have diabetes. it's been quite a while since i've had dealt with it (my bike's not with me in france -- yet), but i remember it seeming to take forever for the pink to go away. like i said, wear it with pride! you were active.... and definitely get some brave soldier for the future. (it even helped heal road rash on road rash. trashed myself training when i got sloppy then got run off the road in a race. like a true cyclist, i was more concerned about my bike Very Happy ) you'll heal!
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:55 am      Reply with quote
Thanks. That's good to know it's pretty normal to take a long time.

I can't say I'm much of a cyclist, it was the first time it happened to me on a bike. But I remember my first response was to get up as soon as I could and get back on and continue riding pretending nothing happened. But then I looked down and was bleeding everywhere. Funny you don't feel anything with all that adrenaline. Then when I got home my biggest concern was how long it would take to heal enough to workout again and if it would scar. I felt a huge sense of impatients. The deep ones in my hands were the worse because of all the nerves I guess. I read so many suggestions and things to put on them and each thing I tried burned intensely. Esp. this anti-infection tincture http://800herbdoc.com/p60.asp
Whoever thought to put garlic juice and cayenne pepper in open wounds is insane! Shock

Anyways, thanks, I'll get the soldier stuff for my emergency kit. Also heard that it is better to let them heal moist then dry with special second skin bandages.
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:24 am      Reply with quote
pumaka- Sorry no, I don't know about "old" scars but maybe the site has something about this. My scars were fresh and it worked for them! Very Happy Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:31 am      Reply with quote
BYRG wrote:
Whoever thought to put garlic juice and cayenne pepper in open wounds is insane! Shock

Anyways, thanks, I'll get the soldier stuff for my emergency kit. Also heard that it is better to let them heal moist then dry with special second skin bandages.

ouch ouch ouch!!!

brave soldier does NOT burn, thank god! (well, anymore than actually touching the wounds do.... you know what i mean.) do yourself a favour a buy some cyclist gloves. their padded to protect you from the handle bars but ALSO to protect your hands from a fall (as you found out yourself). as an added bonus, it protects the back of your hands from the sun better than any sunscreen! and healing moist is a good thing -- i prefer the spenco brand myself. kept me riding with minimal discomfort.

now get to it! back on the bike!!!
(she says very jealously Bad Grin )
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:32 am      Reply with quote
pumaka- the site says they have done research on scars up to 16 years old that this treatment has worked on. You may want to read the information on front page. It says that Plastic Surgeons and Derms all over the world use this method.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:37 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |