Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Rose Hip Oil vs. Retin-A
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
Wouldn't Rose Hip Oil be safer and without the side effects of Retin-A? Has anyone had experience with it to see if it worked like it says it does and how does it compare? Thanks. Here's some info on it....

" Rosehip Seed oil & Trans-retinoic Acid (Vitamin A)

Rosehip seed oil is an excellent source of topical trans-retinoic acid (vitamin A) in a natural form. Retinoic acid, found in Tretinoin, also called Retinol (Vitamin A), is a topical application for treating a variety of skin disorders which has been well researched and recognized for almost 30 years. Synthetic Tretinoin is a very strong substance and must be applied under medical supervision with possible undesirable side effects. Rosehip Seed Oil, however, produces all the benefits of Tretinoin, but without the undesirable effects since it is in a natural state as part of a complex system of unsaturated fatty acids. Therefore, its action is controlled and slowly released by nature, eliminating the rash of overdoses."

"TRANS-RETINOIC ACID
Dr. Berta Pareja and Dr. Horst Kehl, succesfully identified the presence of Trans-Retinoic acid as the component responsible for the remarkable pharmacological properties of Rose Hip Oil. Trans-Retinoic acid is a derivative of Retinol (Vitamin A) and is marked as Tretinoin.

The therapeutic effects of the topical application of Tretinoin, in the treatment of a variety of dermatology disorders, have been well-researched and recognized for almost 30 years. The most significant results have been produced in the treatment of photo-aged skin - skin damaged by excessive exposure to sunlight. Tretinoin can produce quick and positive changes in the skin, but because it is a very strong substance, it must be applied under medical supervision.

Rose Hip Oil produces the benefits of Tretinoin, but without secondary side effects, because the Trans-Retinoic Acid contained in it is in a natural state as part of a complex system of unsaturated fatty acids. Therefore, its action is controlled and slowly released by nature, eliminating the risk of overdoses. "

http://www.uncleharrys.com/infobase/product/rosehip.php

http://www.abateit.com/science2.htm
I'm Kiki
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
Ooooo, I'm really interested in the answer to this! I use RAM, but ONLY for anti ageing.. If it does work, will it work as fast and as well...
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:54 pm      Reply with quote
I have used Rosehip Seed Oil for quite a while ... but I never assumed that it would be either as effective or as strong as tretinoin.

Yes Rosehip Seed Oil contains Vitamin A ... but whether that form of Vitamin A can be absorbed as deep as tretinoin is something I don't know.

As for side-effects from tretinoin, the only ones of which I'm aware are peeling and redness ... and this is generally the result of not using it properly. Some people just slap on tretinoin ... never having read or realized how important the instructions were.

You're supposed to work up to the percentage of tretinoin very slowly, to give your system a chance to get used to tretinoin.

I'm using .01% ... which is the lowest percentage of tretinoin available. This is still stronger than any retinol you can purchase over the counter ... and my skin is adapting to it nicely. In a few months, I'll move up to the .025% ... until my skin gets used to that.

Otherwise, I am unaware of any "side effects" from tretinoin ... but then I'm no expert. Very Happy

The article you use is highly suspect ... not that I can intelligently argue the "science" it may or may not contain ... but because it
contains at lease one very misleading statement.

Quote:
Retinoic acid, found in Tretinoin, also called Retinol

Tretinoin is very different from Retinol ... it is never referred to as retinol.

Retinol is a precursor to tretinoin. Retinol does not require a prescription whereas tretinoin does. Retinol is a "baby sister" to tretinoin.

Now ... I am not a scientist ... nor do I have any scientific knowledge ... I have to rely on people far more learned than I to interpret these things for me.

While scientific studies praise the wound healing properties of Rosehip Seed Oil ... this is the first time I've seen it referred to as a substitute for tretinoin.

Just my two cents.

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,
Rose Hip oil has Vitamin A, but it is not the same as vitamin A in Retin-A. Retin-A has different formula and diferent purpose than Rose Hip oil. I never heard that someone substitute them. You can use every day Rose Hip oil, but I wouldn't suggest to use Retin-A on the regular basis, not for a sensitive skin.
HTH Smile
Lara

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
Well nuts.. I figured that, but hoped...
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:04 am      Reply with quote
Rose hip oil is a good emollient for skin and a good antioxidant, but I doubt very much if it would take tretoins place.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:24 am      Reply with quote
I've been using it for quite a few weeks now and the only thing I don't like is the smell - a bit like strong, over-stewed tea.

It feels nice and comfortable on my skin, seems to give me more of a "glow" and I've noticed a decrease in the small amount of blotchiness I had before.

I'm definitely sticking with it.
pumaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:05 am      Reply with quote
Majorb,
do you use it straight on skin or dilute with some other oil? and if dilute, in what proportion? Thanks!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:25 am      Reply with quote
I'm using Kosmea Rosehip Oil and the instructions tell you to apply it on slightly moistened skin. So I just smooth it on immediately after applying toner (currently just plain old rosewater).

For the Kosmea, no dilution is necessary. I think this would be the same for other brands, but I'm hoping someone here will be able to confirm whether that is so.
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:42 am      Reply with quote
Hi Majorb,
can you tell me where do you buy this type of rose hip oil (Kosmea), please.
Thanks
Lara

Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
I've used two different rosehip oils before (one of them Kosmea) and neither required to be diluted. Both were to be applied to damp skin. There are many raves regarding rosehip oil and it healing skin and also fading pigmentation and scars.

Lara - Kosmea is an Australian natural skincare brand (http://www.kosmea.com.au/) and a really good one at that. It is widely available in health food shops in Australia and New Zealand as well. I have seen it sold online in the US as well, so if you google for Kosmea you should be able to find some over there and it will probably be cheaper than getting it from Australia and getting it sent over.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,
I am not sure if rosehip oil and rosehip seed oil are the same, but you can find rosehip seed oil at Skinactives.com. Just go to the product catalog under "R". They say that you can apply it directly to the skin where you have a scar. I'm sorry I don't have any experience with this myself, but I'm sure others know of some good websites too.

This is the first I've heard of it being retionic so I was surprised to see that skinactives also claims it to be true. Here's what they say:

Quote:
Further Information: This organic, cold pressed oil is made fresh from the seeds of the wild rose (Rosa affinis rubiginosa) that grows in Chile. Rosehip oil is a concentrated solution in linoleic (41%) and linolenic acid (39 %), two essential fatty acids that are found in the structural lipids of the cell but humans cannot synthesize them. It also contains trans-retinoic acid, tocopherols and carotenoids (responsible for the pink/orange color of the oil). In clinical studies with humans, rosehip oil was effective in aiding tissue regeneration in surgical wounds and in the treatment of keloids. This is my favorite oil, cold pressed from seeds of rosa mosqueta in the Andes. This oil does not smell of roses (it is not an essential oil but a "fixed" oil), so don't be surprised.

If you email them directly, they get back to you very quickly. I'll bet they could give you a nice comparison to retin-A.
Mabsy

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
Good point pnw - to clarify, the Kosmea rosehip oil is made from the seeds and also the skin.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:04 am      Reply with quote
Lara - Mabsy's advice is excellent. But do check on prices, as it is certainly cheaper for us here in the UK to have Kosmea shipped over from Australia, believe it or not! Shock

Mind you, we usually pay a high premium for most imported stuff here.
Mabsy

Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:16 pm      Reply with quote
majorb wrote:
Lara - Mabsy's advice is excellent. But do check on prices, as it is certainly cheaper for us here in the UK to have Kosmea shipped over from Australia, believe it or not! Shock

Wow, I just assumed we get ripped off an all products in Australia. It's cheaper for me to get Jurlique from EDS most of the time Laughing

Anyway, I am happy to CP Kosmea if anyone needs it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
About 3 months ago I decided to try an experiment with rose hip oil after I found out about it's link to retinol. For the last 3 months I have used Kosmea Eigth Natural Wonder on just my neck area of a morning (followed by Kosmea sunscreen) and the Eigth Natural Wonder followed by Kosmea Rose Hip Oil on my neck at night. I spray my skin with their rose water mist so the rose hip oil absorbs very nicely. I had some quite noticeable sagging skin on my neck which I am happy to say seems to be disappearing. I am going to continue this routine just on my neck for a few more months to see if it improves further. As an added advantage, my neck skin is lovely and smooth now also. I don't know whether it is due to the rose hip oil, eigth natural wonder or a combination of both.

Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
bushy - any thoughts on Photolagen vs the Eight Wonder serum? I am not sure if they can even be compared but I am loving Photolagen right now and have a bottle of the Eight Wonder waiting (travel size). It's taken lots of will power not to cave and start using it instead of the Photolagen just out of curiosity.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:43 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy, I don't think I would compare them as I like both of them and each is very different. I quite often use eigth wonder of a night with Photolagen over the top and some mornings if I am in a hurry, I just use eigth wonder on my face as well as neck and then apply sunscreen. I think these two products will always be in my drawer as my main staple products.

Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:32 am      Reply with quote
bushy wrote:
Mabsy, I don't think I would compare them as I like both of them and each is very different. I quite often use eigth wonder of a night with Photolagen over the top and some mornings if I am in a hurry, I just use eigth wonder on my face as well as neck and then apply sunscreen. I think these two products will always be in my drawer as my main staple products.

Thank you! I will try to incorporate both after I finish my Replenix Green Tea serum (which I'm also liking).

Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:53 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |