Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

AA skin that desires a uniform complexion (kinda long)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
disgtgyal

Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
hi, i'm a newbie that would like some advice or suggestions. I'm african american skin complexion lightish brown those who are familar with MAC i'm NC45. I have some dark spots from old acne scars and just an uneven skin tone on my cheeks from trying to use fade creams. I've tried microdermabrasion and i experienced some scarring although it did help a bit. I'm considering chemical peel for a more uniform complexion. Based on some research i did the best peels for my skin are salicylic acid and TCA, which one would you guys suggest and what strengths also where can i purchase them. P.S my skin tends to heal with a scar more times than not, and when its a severe wound i form a small keloid. Thanks in advance for you imputs and suggestions
disgtgyal

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
bumping for any type of imput or help....
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
My understanding is that azelaic acid is the best ingredient for fading dark spots caused by acne. (Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation) You might google it to see if there is specific information for African-Americans. Also, if you are not using a C serum yet, I would highly recommend you consider this. C limits melanocyte production so it evens skintone and reverses hyperpigmentation. This usually takes about 3 months of daily use. My favorite is the C+ Firming serum (Cellular Skin Rx). EDS sells that one and Vivier/others here that are also popular.

As for peels, platinumskincare.com has many choices. The thing is I have heard that AA skin has a tendency to form keloids so you have to be extremely careful with peels to avoid peeling more in one area and less in another and thus ending up with uneven skintone.

They are very helpful at platinum. I'd give them a call and see if they can give you more specific info for your skin-type.
disgtgyal

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:37 pm      Reply with quote
thanks betterat40 i'll look into the vitamin c serum and also c what i find on google about azelaic acid
Melasmaisew
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
I would suggest to go ahead with the chemical peel. I'm dark skinned too, being Indian and all..and I had a chemical peel done for melasma and acne scarring about two years back. It was a Tca peel and I got it done at a spa. I think it worked great..after the skin peel away..I saw a significant difference..and should have gone ahead and done a couple more.

I've used skinculture peels too. Just type skinculture into a search engine..and you will find their site.I did the 4000 peel. They work very well..but you have to be VERY precise in following the directions..no room for mistakes. If this is your first peel..I would advise that you get it done somewhere..and not try anything yourself. Make sure the percentage of the peel is low (12.5-20%), and that the esthetician has experience in working with darker skintones.
disgtgyal

Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
thank you melasmaisew, i always thought the tca peels are a no-no for darker skin because you can develop keloids. When you had your first peel done did your skin become more uniform and were the old acne scars gone or visibly reduced?
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:44 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |