Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Anyone here had Lasik surgery?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:42 am      Reply with quote
Was wondering if anyone has had (or knows someone who has had) Lasik eye surgery or similar.

I am wondering how much it costs around the world...

Here in Japan it costs around US$3,000 - 5,000 for the basic Lasik (depending on the reputation of the clinic) but there are some places without "famous" doctors that do it for about $1,500.

Any info or feedback appreciated - we are looking at doing this for two people so have been wondering if it is better value to take a vacation to Canada or US for treatment Laughing

wonder if there is "couple" discount? Laughing
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:08 am      Reply with quote
I got my new "laser eyes" (love calling them that! Laughing ) a few years ago, when Boots Laser Eye Clinics were still in operation.

It was supposed to cost £2,000 for both eyes to be done, but I got it discounted down to £1,500 - and worth every penny.

I'd advise you to really, really look into this, though, before going ahead. Don't want to scare you, especially since it's worked so well for me, but there are potential dangers that you should be aware of. If I were you, I'd check out as many testimonials as possible - both good and bad. At least then you'll know what to expect.

Also, make sure you look into the clinic's reputation and results, and that of the consultant who will perform your op. Better to spend more money on a more experienced and highly competent consultant than to save money by taking a risk.

I still get a huge kick of waking up in the morning and actually being able to focus. Very Happy
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:08 am      Reply with quote
I had it done in Dec 2004. I was blind as a bat, had been wearing glasses since I was in the 4th grade.

My results were tremendous. Within 12 hours of the procedure I was seeing 20/30 - by the next exam 10 days later I actually see 20/15 now.

My procedure cost 1,400. No pain. Some discomfort following the procedure to lights, but they recommend taking a nap afterward to avoid that problem. I was seeing 'halos' around lights (akin to being in a clorinated pool too long) for about a month. It faded gradually and was never really a problem.

My only issue is I wake with dry eyes. Nothing a drop of eye drops doesn't take care of.

I do know of others who haven't had the smooth results I have, but I couldn't be happier about it and wish I had done it years ago!!

HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:24 am      Reply with quote
That's me, blind as a bat. My one and only fear in life is that Tokyo will have its earthquake in the middle of the night and I wont have my glasses handy.

I have been terrified for years and years to have this done, having heard the minority bad stories about adversity to light etc. (and figuring with my luck that would be me).

But I figured that with the progress that has been made and with an extra decade under their belt it might be worth looking into for me. Other than being blind (my contacts are -5.75 right eye and -7 in left) I dont have any eye problems.

I am just sick of contacts, glasses, wrinkles from glasses, squinting, and of course that nighttime fear. Laughing
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:46 am      Reply with quote
My girlfriend had a procedure done some years ago, where they cut and removed the "membrane" (for want of a better word). Her vision was improved tremendously - for a couple of years. Then she had to go back and have one eye redone which didn't last - she's now back to being blind as a bat and using glasses.
I'm not sure if it was Lasek surgery or not, but it cost $4,000 ($2,000 for each eye).
Just make sure you research the procedure and the surgeon thoroughly before you entrust your eyes to him/her!
Anya
TAMgirl99
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:56 am      Reply with quote
I had lasik done about 5 years ago and it was absolutely the best thing I've ever done for myself. I had horrible vision (couldn't even come close to making out the big "E" on the eye chart) and now I'm 20/15. I had no problems with it at all, although I had an excellent doctor (inventor of one of the lasers). At that time it cost $1495 per eye but that was because my vision was so poor. Most people paid $995 per eye. I don't think prices have changed much.

Anya - It sounds like your friend had the manual (not laser) procedure done. The laser is much safer and more accurate, with less downtime and better results.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:10 am      Reply with quote
Hi all - Are you guys afflicted with near or farsightedness? I'm farsighted and am also curious about Lasik, but treating my problem in this way seems to be newer than treating nearsightedness, and it's thus more expensive from what I understand.
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Tamgirl, Yeah, her surgery was manual and it was done in the early days of the process (about 10 years ago). I'm sure they've come a long way since then, so hope I haven't scared Tiger_Tim off having it done Shock
I know lots of people who've had Laser surgery done and found it (so far) to be very successful.

Anya
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
Laughing not scared off.. but still quaking in my boots.

We are likely to go with a line of clinics here run by the guy who invented .. um... oh well, he is someone super special. Laughing

He does the procedure where the corneal flap is also cut by laser rather than metal instrument.. it costs about $2700 to have it done or if you want this dude himself to do it then add on about $1700 for the privelege.

Now we have to sit and think... bonus time is coming in June... hmm
lithia
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:14 pm      Reply with quote
I did Lasik eye surgery two years ago,now everyting is ok, till now no other problems. Sometimes I feel my eyes a bit dry.
Molly229

Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
Does it hurt? I'm so scared of this, but am going to look into getting it done as well and give myself a year to get the nerve up. I'm afraid of pain.

I know of several people who have had it done and said they'd do it again in a milisecond.
lithia
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:41 pm      Reply with quote
no pain, just got irritating eyes and my tears came out all the time duing the first day. The second day was fine.
red head
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
I had it done one year ago in Feb. I opted for the far vision rather than the mono vision (one eye for reading one for distance) because of my age (47) I now have 20/15 in both eyes it took away the astigmasim (?) and I only need to wear +1 readers when I use the computer at work but hey its worth it to watch a movie, swim everything withoug glassed. 3 years ago I lost a pair of kate Spade perscription glasses in the ocean$$$$$, It does not hurt and by the evening I could see the tv clearly. Cost $4,000 total 3 year period if you need tweeking and all office visits. We have a great md here that is one of the pioneers in this field. Wore glasses since i was 5-Good luck
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:56 am      Reply with quote
Hello
My SO had it done around December. He was blind as a bat, contacts always! It says it is the best thing he has ever done. His cost was around $3000K, but he said it was well worth it. No time at all to recover and can see EXCELLENT. I actually went to the appointment with him and watched it get done. WOW it was amazing. I have told everyone I know that he says it is WORTH the money!!
CK
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:34 am      Reply with quote
A friend of mine had Lasik surgery over a year ago at the "most famous" private hospital in Hong Kong (it's the hospital for celebrities) and it costed around USD$3000. She recovered in no time at all after the surgery (she checked in and checked out all by herself) and has not experienced any side effects (I heard that some can't read very small letters after Lasik surgery). Smile
rgw0125w
5% products discount

Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
I had it done about 5 years ago. Best thing I ever did for myself. I can wake up in the morning and see right away. I'm also an avid diver and what a pain it was with contacts. I was also farsighted.

Recovery on one eye was 3 days total the other eye I got an infection and had to see the doctor daily for the first week then three times the next week, lots of antibiotic cream and drops but after wards no problems.
Cost was around 1800 for both eyes.
spygrrl
5% products discount

Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:27 am      Reply with quote
I had Lasik done on my severely nearsighted eyes about 8 years ago.

At that time the procedure was relatively new, and it was $ 2400 per eye, $ 4800 total. Prices have since come down drastically, at least here in the US.

It was a gift from my parents. I've been blind as a bat since I was born, and was still getting worse in my mid twenties, after most people's eyes had stopped changing. When my optometrist told me I had a good chance of going legally blind by 40, my folks gave me this huge gift.

Make no mistake - it was a huge decision. Do you know the phrase "Murphy's Law"? Murphy's Law says anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, and in the worst possible way. I've had enough bad things happen to me in my life - big bad things, not little bad things - that long ago I'd earned the nickname Mrs. Murphy.

Anyway I was very scared. I hated not being able to focus past the end of my nose, or read the time on the alarm clock a mere foot away from me. I'd done a lot of research over the years and had kept up with the changing procedures and such, back from the 80's when they did it with a knife and it was called "radial keratotomy" (RK). I'd always hoped someday I could afford to do something about it. From what I read at the time, less than 1% of people who'd had Lasik experienced any significant problems after their surgery. But 1% is not zero, and I figured with my luck, I would fall into that less than 1%.

Amazingly, this was one of the only instances of my life where I did not have Mrs. Murphy syndrome. Both my eyes were nearing -10.00 diopter range of myopia (nearsightedness). I think one eye was at -9.25, and the other at -9.75. I had some astigmatism in both eyes, worse in one than the other. I ended up slightly over-corrected in one eye, so one eye is about perfect vision and the other has just a touch of hyperopia. I had serious halos when nearsighted, and though they are much reduced, I still have some halos at night, like around streetlights. But truly, it has been a gift.

If for any reason you are thinking of visiting the US to have it done, read my next post for a recommendation. (I didn't want this to be too too long of a post)

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
Wow! that is good info.. see, I am like that - feeling I will fall into 1%. Oh to be able to apply make up without my nose pushed against the mirror... Laughing

Thanks, Spygrrl!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:39 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |