Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How do I lose weight?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
AAAAAAaaaarrrrggghh...I've been trying to lose weight for years! I lose 5-10 lbs and gain it back. Has anyone tried anything that WORKS? Any recs?

I take karate, so that's FAB exercise. I've been on Zoloft and think that might be part of the problem. I'm trying to ween myself from it and take St. John's Wort instead.

I have trouble staying away from the goodies most days. PLUS hubby brings home all sorts of junk despite my protests. But, still, I can't get away from junk food forever. How can I eat right even when there's cake and pie etc all around? I don't buy that stuff much anymore, but hubby still does.

I have about 30 lbs to lose. Hydroxycut worked for me for about one week. And now I don't know (again).

Help please! Thanks!
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
Are you a carb lover? My brother-in-law just recently lost 20 pounds by cutting out sodas (even diet ones) and rice. He used to eat lots of white rice. Now he only eat the whole grain kind, the kind the resembles bird seeds with different shades of brown color Laughing . Lots and lots of veggies and water.

My friend lost 30 pounds on the zone diet.

Good luck! Hope your hubby will stop bringing home temptations.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
its basic math...less in + more exercise = weight loss

Now finding motivation is a completely different story. I have none.

I find that when I drink alot of water, the weight is easier to lose. My sister and her husband just started a lemonade diet, he lost 10 lbs in a couple of weeks. Its pretty much a fast, so if you can tolerate it for a couple of days, and get over the "I'm hungry" phase, its not so bad.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
I've been on diet for last 30 years. My weight yo-yos 5~15 pounds. Finally I figured out that TO LOSE WEIGHT IS EASY, TO MAINTAIN THE WEIGHT IS HARD. It's a life long thing. You do need the motivation and discipline. Watch your diet and exercise regularly. If you had a sweet treat then cut some calories on your next meal. Throw away all junkies your hubby bought. Not long, he'll stop buying it. Protest is not enough you need some action.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:16 pm      Reply with quote
i lost a lot of weight by giving up sodas, alcohol, meat, and fast food.
i hate excercising, so I just watch what I eat. Make sure you eat in moderation. Eat little meals often, because if you eat a big meal, your tummy will stretch (no good).
Drink juice. Fresh juice is better, but If you dont have to make it (like me), try one of those "naked" or "odwalla" juice. They are good and I dont think they are fatty. They are full of vitamins and other good stuff.
And also.... if you are worried about not having enough protein by not eating meat, you can try to eat tofu. It is healthy and cheap...
Good luck... let us know how it goes.
anya
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:46 am      Reply with quote
I'm the last person to be giving weight loss advice, since I seem to be on a permanent diet and can never keep it off. But maybe you will have better luck TooInvolved if you :

- eat slowly (chew, chew, chew)
- don't cram food - stop between mouthfuls
- listen to your stomach, when it feels full, stop eating

I got this advice from Paul Mckenna Will Make You Thin, hypnosis tape Very Happy According to Paul, people spend too much time thinking about food, except when they're eating it - which in my case is very true!

Here's a link to his UK TV show site:

/http://www.skyone.co.uk/mckenna/

If you can get his tapes and have the discipline to listen to them every day, they're awesome!

HTH
Anya
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:54 am      Reply with quote
I lost over 40 pounds on a low glycemic index diet. Yes calories count but high protein and good fat makes you feel full so the diet is easy. I never went off it. Also the ease with which I lost the weight compared to earlier attempts makes me believe that the simple carbs do cause bad effects on your metabolism.

Another benefit: I have long thin legs on low fat diets I lost so much muscle from my legs I looked like a lollipop on two sticks. With the low glycemic index diet I gained muscle without exercize and my legs look great.
Lanie
5% products discount

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
Atkins is the only thing that truly works for me. I lost 30lbs in 3 months a few years ago. Of course I went back to eating fast food and put it all back on Embarassed I wish I had never stopped because I didn't find it that hard to follow, but getting back on the plan has been horrible.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:31 pm      Reply with quote
Lanie: I started on Atkins then modifyed to include many fruits. I also do not eat bad fats like pork rinds. I've kept the weight off for 3 years now. About once per week I eat out at a nice place and eat potatos, sushi pastries but since I'm overall keeping simple carbs in check I'm doing well now. In addition to keeping the weight off I've drastically lowered blood pressure, gotten rid of wrinkles and am off diabetes meds. I also have very low cholesterol. For me this type of diet was a god send.
cloud_9
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:39 pm      Reply with quote
No matter which plan you do (or whatever plan you make up yourself) just don't go overboard and lose weight too quickly. I did this on atkins and started losing hair. I talked about it on the "hair fall" thread. Just a thought. Smile
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:50 pm      Reply with quote
The only thing that has ever worked for me is "Fit for Life". Do a search online. It has been around forever and is not a gimmick. I am on it again now...it is tough in the beginning but if you stick to it you will see results!
Lanie
5% products discount

Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:47 pm      Reply with quote
sharky, i did the same thing. I did the 2 week atkin induction phase and then did my own modified atkins plan. I allowed myself plenty of fruits & veggies but just stayed away from sugars and breads. It really does work.
betty77
5% products discount

Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
I recently lost about 60lbs and the only thing that really worked for me was to exercise a lot running and swimming etc and doing some weight training. I still have about 10lbs to go and I know how frustrating it can be. I do think it is best to lose the weight slowly also so that you don't mess with your metabolism too much.
I am not the best a controling my diet but it is definetly best to stay clear of processed foods as much as you can and to eat lots of soups.
I read recently that a man can lose most of his excess body fat through exercise alone but that a woman needs to exercise and change her diet to get just a fraction of the reults a man can get ....no fair!
jamie630
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
My neighbor told me that he lost 40 pounds in one month by eating 4 cans of tuna and 2 slices of whole wheat bread every day. Personally, I think I'd be full for the whole day eating that, adhering to the "eat small meals every 3 hours" mantra. I would add a plate of raw veggies and and a fruit here or there. Are there any health problems with this?

I think he's bullshitting about the 40 pounds in a month thing. But hey, I love tuna and could eat it at every meal.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
jamie630: you know what.... I remember that my ex bf's roommate from college only ate tuna and wheat bread.... (tuna sandwich, i guess). In addition to that he exercised like 2 hours/day; and yeah... he was really fit.....
maybe thats the tuna...... Very Happy
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
I'd be afraid of eating that much tuna because of the mercury content!
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
Any gimmick like the tuna might work but 3 years later he'll be as fat or fatter because he certainly did not learn any healthy eating habits.

I agree that slow weight loss and permanent change in eating habits work. I know that exercize is important for health but it can't help you lose much weight. Even if you exercize 30 minutes a day at top intensity (with heartrate up) you might burn 300 calories at the most (thats 100gms of beef or fatty fish, 2 plain pizza slices or a small piece of cake). Most people even those who exercize regularly don't get anywhere near this level. Also most people have increased appetite after exercize. You need to take in less calories to lose weight.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
PS any fast large change in diet whether or not to a healthier form will have transient bad effects. These can include nausia, hair loss calcium loss and blood sugar problems.
Why? Your body has an inertia to it, it's used to reacting in certain ways and takes time to change. There have been several studies on yo yo dieting documenting bad changes.

I know everyone wants fast loss but slow loss stays with you and is healthier.
TooInvolved
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! Thanks for your replies! As usual, you're great!

The calories burned in a karate class are supposed to be 700-800, which is amazing. But I know I have to control my eating. I just don't know how.

My hubby says most diets will work as long as you can stick to them. That's the problem. here's what I've tried just over the last few years or so:
Jenny Craig - I felt hungry a lot
Weight Watchers - I'd usually eat up all my pts before dinner
Body For Life - I'd love to lift weights and for the two weeks I did it, I was cut nicely. And then I got so sick of it and the cardio too
Atkins - I LOVE carbs, so depriving myself of them meant I overate protein. Like half a pound of bacon a day (no, I have no self control). The grease made me feel sick and it constipated me. (no giggling out there...)
HydroxyCut - Worked for one week and I was so happy! Then the appetite suppressant stopped supressing.
Hollywood Diet - I was hungry and I didn't lose much weight for all the self-deprivation
L.A. Weight Loss - Worked for a while, but it was pricey and I got tired of the way I had to eat

I bet there are others I'm forgetting.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:17 pm      Reply with quote
Tailor a diet to your own needs. My Atkins type diet does not include tons of bacon and does include berries every day. You want a diet that you can stick to long term. Lots of choice, lots of green and cruciferous veggies.
Maybe only eating truely whole grain or high fiber pasta would work (see the spaghetti thread here there are plenty of great tasting alternative noodles). Actually it's the glycemic load that is important so things like carrots that have a high GI but little sugar are fine.

Also a friend of mine is doing the Weight Watchers Low Glycemic index diet and loves it. She has lost an average of 1 pound a week even with significant cheats.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
For a 145lb woman at near peak heartrate it would take over an hour continually at that level to burn 700-800 calories. Good if you can do it but it is a lot.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
I've been working out in the morning. I find that it's a lot easier to just work out first thing in the morning and forget it about. One less thing to worry about. Plus it makes you more conscious of what you eat during the day. It really makes me think twice about having sweets during the day.
mixCD
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:51 am      Reply with quote
well my advice is not only excercising but doing strength training. And strength training builds muscle and muscle burns fat. Now don't think because your building muscles your gonna get buff. Nothing like that. Eat well like lots of fruits, cereal, chicken, yogurt. DOnt starve yourself cause thats bad. You can still eat alot and still loose weight. Just eat right..

Also take vitamins as well. I'm taking these vitamins you know to be healthy fit and stuff like that. And i notice while im takin them I tend to not have an appetite. Im not overweight and i do excercise to keep in shape but i love to eat so i reduce the dosage lol because sometimes i dont get hungry because of all the nutrients the vitamin gives me.. Dont know you can try it if you want.www.ouramazingvitamins.com

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
The best "diet" I ever had was when I went on the elimination diet when I was nursing my daugther. Cut all dairy, soy, wheat and egg out of your diet and you will lose weight! I think I dropped 30 pounds in 6 months. Didn't even exercise!
freefall2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:09 am      Reply with quote
I'm working on this right now too. I gained some weight in the past year after heart surgery and then having to give up my favorite exercises, running and tennis, because of several herniated disks. I've gone up a clothing size. Image

I was always able to eat a lot because I got so much exercise. Now I'm having a hard time getting enough cardio in so I have to watch my intake. I've made up a workout schedule of yoga 3 mornings a week, working out at the gym 3 mornings a week and a walk for about an hour every afternoon that I can do it. I also scuba dive every sunday. Fortunately I have several girlfriends here who were happy to get on this training schedule with me. Having workout buddies helps so much.

As for food, I've cut out refined carbs so I'm trying to have some lean protein with fresh veggies at every meal. I printed out a food journal and write down everything that I put in my mouth. Already I've noticed that this helps make me accountable. Everytime I reach for the fridge for a snack I think about having to write down what I eat and I get a glass of water instead. I'm rarely hungry, I mostly snack out of habit.

I don't have a scale right now so I'm using measurements and the way my clothes fit to watch my progress.

Having the support of friends and family is so important.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:46 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |