Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Vitamin C better in AM or PM?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
monamuk

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:51 am      Reply with quote
hello,
I just started using Vivier Vit C Serum, both the ones for eyes and face, and have two questions:

1. Is it better to use in the AM or PM? I have been using in PM but do want to start Retin A and have heard Retin A is better in PM. Don't think I should be layering them as someone told me in a different post - that I should wait till vit c is fully absorbed (20 min) and I don't have that much time to go back and forth with my beauty routine Smile

2. Do I have to purchase both the eye serum which is lower % and the face serum or can I start using the face serum on both my eye area and face after I run out of the eye serum?

Thanks in advance!
mom2tommax
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
I have always heard to use Vitamin C in the AM.

Lori

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
I use Vit C at night....my skin needs the full effect. I have a tendency to correct makeup and think I wipe the Vit C off when I correct my MU application.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
AMis better because it helps protect against damaging UVA/UVB rays.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
lithia wrote:
AMis better because it helps protect against damaging UVA/UVB rays.

but the effect is good for 3 days correct???

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
I'm confused too. I thought we should use Vitamin C at AM but Re'Vive and MDSkincare suggested to use their Vit-C at night.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
I remember from past discussions that it doesn't really matter whether you put it on day or night, but most people seem to prefer to do it in the morning.
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
I would use it in the AM because can benefit more from its sun protection. Its a great idea to use Vit-C in the morning and Retin-A at night.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
I was just reading about this on some Dermatologist site (looking up Retinol) and from what they said topical Vit C can be used anytime, it's just a matter of preference, as the effects will last up to 48 hrs. Retin A products on the other hand must be used at nite as they can cause photosensitivity and skin discolorations if used during the day, esp. in sunlight. It also said that retin a should not be used with other actives because it can lose its efficacy as it needs to absorb into the deeper epideral layers to work. Vit. C is an active. Hope this helps! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
Sportygirl is right. It really doesn't matter when you use vitamin C. HOWEVER, retin A, retinol, etc. - any product with heavy actives, should be used at night. Using Retin A in the morning is just insane. As it is, when you are using it, you have to really use a good sunscreen - even stronger than you might use otherwise - since it really increases your skin's sensitivity to the sun...
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
katee wrote:
Sportygirl is right. It really doesn't matter when you use vitamin C. HOWEVER, retin A, retinol, etc. - any product with heavy actives, should be used at night. Using Retin A in the morning is just insane. As it is, when you are using it, you have to really use a good sunscreen - even stronger than you might use otherwise - since it really increases your skin's sensitivity to the sun...

this help!!!! Thanks!
Chrissie

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
I use Vit. C Serum in the morning. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
I use Cellex-C and I prefer using it at night.
doba
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
I use Vitamin C at night.
Seaera
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:17 am      Reply with quote
I use mine in the a.m.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
It should be used in the AM to reap the biggest benefits. C absorbs free radicals caused by exposure to UV light, cigarette smoke and other pollution. You are more likely to encounter these during the day than at night. Free radicals are unstable oxygen molecules that hook up with the giant collagen molecules in your skin to stabilize themselves. When they do that, they make your collagen layer become thin and brittle. Thus your skin loses firmness and elasticity prematurely. Sooooo, I'd use it every AM to stop this from happening.

If I didn't already use other stuff at night, I'd use it then, too. C is necessary for collagen synthesis. So night-time use would seem to be a good time for this to occur. (Totally unscientific statement there. Smile

About the 48 hours - this is not correct. C stays present in your skin actually for 72 hours! BUT, the plasma level in your skin drops precipitously over the first 24 hours and only trace amounts are left at 72 hours. That's not enough protection for me so I use it every day. I also take internal antioxidants (C and E, Selenium)to up the antioxidant plasma levels in my skin to as high as they can get.
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
As far as using the same serum for your face and eyes, that is totally an individual thing. I use IS Clinical proheal and I apply it under my eyes when I am applying it to my face. Some people who have more sensitive skin may need a lower % under their eyes. I would try it if I were you. Go slow. Start maybe every other day under eye application to make sure you don't have any adverse reaction. If you do notice extra dryness, you may need to use a lower % vit C. If you don't feel and dryness, then you should be fine. Just remember to go slow and don't rush it.
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
I'v heard recently that you can't use toner right before Vitamin C b/c it can degrade it somehow.

Anyone hear this? I went through an entire bottle before I heard this.

Just in case I don't have toner in my AM regimen.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |