Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
adult hormonal acne.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
aprilha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:31 am      Reply with quote
i was wondering if there are any products specifically targetted at adult hormonal acne?

because i find teen anti-acne products dont work on me any more..

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:11 am      Reply with quote
I battled throughout my teens with acne.
My best suggestions would be:

*Supplements: Zinc, Fish Oils, B Complex, Vit C
*Healthy Diet
*Keep Skincare Routine simple, I love witch Hazel and Tea Tree Oil for use as treatments.
*Homeopathy to balance out the system.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:49 am      Reply with quote
aprilha wrote:
i was wondering if there are any products specifically targetted at adult hormonal acne?

because i find teen anti-acne products dont work on me any more..

I typically cannot use most acne lines, as they are too harsh and didn't seem to help hormonal breakouts anyway. In terms of hormonal acne, what has helped me the most (and also helps with PMS) is Evening Primrose Oil supplements. I agree that a healthy diet is important, too.

Tina
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:13 am      Reply with quote
i get hormonal acne because of PCOS and i've found that what is working for me right now is using Saw Palmetto supplements and at least 7000 IU of Vit D everyday for the last 2.5 months.

I haven't had any visible or painful breakouts with this regime even through my monthly cycles...

best wishes

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:48 am      Reply with quote
thanks for all the advices...

i'm taking EPO right now...i guess it helps a bit...

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:05 am      Reply with quote
Your doc can also prescribe aldactone for homonal acne.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
check out the L'Oreal line. They just came out with an adult acne skincare kit and a adult acne peel kit. I am 30 (almost) and have acne and the Peel kit has really helped (so far). I have only used it a couple of times but I did notice results. I also used proactive and had success with it. I only use proactive when I have a bunch because it really drys my skin.
DoubleTrouble
5% products discount

Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

My dermatologist prescribed aldactone also. It
really helped me with the hormonal breakouts.
I also use Retin-A Micro at night. The birth
control pill, Ortho-Tricyclen is also good for
hormonal breakouts.

Good luck !
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:56 pm      Reply with quote
I am really confused about dr. giving aldactone for adult acne. It is an oral used for the following:Spironolactone is used to treat high blood pressure. Lowering high blood pressure helps prevent strokes, heart attacks, and kidney problems. It is also used to treat swelling (edema) caused by certain conditions (e.g., congestive heart failure) by removing excess fluid and improving symptoms such as breathing problems.

This medication is also used to treat low potassium levels and conditions in which the body is making too much of a natural chemical (aldosterone). So can someone help me on how this helps skin conditions. I am really searching for something that works.
DoubleTrouble
5% products discount

Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hi

My doc explained it better to me but it is
supposed to block the bad hormones around the time of your menstrual cycle. I guess it's the
male hormones that are wreaking havoc !

It is a diuretic, also. But it is prescribed
by dermatologists for hormonal acne.
aprilha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
thanks for all the advices... i'll look into it with my doctor!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:31 am      Reply with quote
Aldactone/Spironolactone is also prescribed for blocking androgens in the skin which is what acne is caused by. Too much free testosterone messes with the cell receptors in the skin and triggers acne. Aldactone fits into the receptors on the cell surface and blocks the action of testosterone from having as much effect on the cell.

That's how i understand from my doctor how it worked when i was on it for my PCOS....

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:32 am      Reply with quote
That's my understanding also. You can google aldactone for acne and there are a lot of postings on it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:43 am      Reply with quote
What about Differin???? I've been using it for a year or so, and only have occassion breakouts.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
I used Differin a few years ago and it made my skin red and break out more but I do have very sensitive skin.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
I tried Aldactone but was going numb in spots all over my body so I quit using it too soon to know if it would have helped my skin. I must have really weird body chemistry.
Kar

Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:24 am      Reply with quote
Hello,
I would try the B Kamins acne products. Good luck. Smile
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:46 am      Reply with quote
Hi Kar
Do you recommend B Kamins because this is similar to Aldactone? I have yet to google it, but I am thinking about trying an oral hormone sup. I starting doing research on my skin and noticing that NOTHING topical is working, even RX medicines. No Vitiamns really "solving" the problem. So I started thinking that since the male hormone can be the culprit of hair growth (getting a few hairs on my chin lately) and culprit of bad skin, I thought what the heck, right. I do not want anything really messing with my "system", but can you tell me more Kar about B Kamins ?
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:03 am      Reply with quote
I have a question, do your acne come before or after "the time of the month"? Because it's so weird, that I get some bumps after.... Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:09 am      Reply with quote
Mine is all the time. Daily I have outbreaks. My outbreaks are small, but daily I get one or two. Not just around that time of the month, that is why I am thinking that my hormones may be to blame.
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:51 pm      Reply with quote
This is the first time I have ever heard of spiro being prescribed for acne. A few years back, my derm recommended it for hair loss. He referred to it as anti-androgenic. It didn't work, in fact it made it worse, so I stopped using it. I still believe the hairloss is hormone related but that he was focusing on the wrong ones. We have many types of hormones in our bodies that all have to be in balance. When they are not, we can get conditions like acne, dandruff, weight gain, bone loss, cramps, etc. My docs never once did a hormone test before prescribing me meds for hormones. I have recently decided to take matters into my own hands, get off the pill and go see a naturopath for hormone tests. I'm tired of all the trial and error.
mithai
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

If you do a search on acne.org....you will see that actually a lot of women have seen miracles for there acne problems with spiro...yes this works when you have excessive androgens...it blocks androgen receptors or something. Hormones can cause a lot of of problems in our bodies which may or may not look related. I have PCOS and I am taking a med which is actually used for diabetese(spell!).....Now i dont have higher sugar levels at all but PCOS seems to be insulin related which in turn effects the hormones.....blah blah...it is a long chain reaction which makes total sense if you are patient enough to try and read!....But guess what it has helped my acne so much....I am not 100% clear but it is a lot better Dancing ....And when your hormones are out of whack in a BIG way....no amount of topicals will help...I was breaking out so bad for 3-4 months, saw top Derm, nothing helped....then seeing a endocrinologist and my ob/gyn made a world of difference!....Now, did I ramble Rolling Eyes
natsumi
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:25 am      Reply with quote
Clindagel worked wonders for me. I had clear skin and then all of a sudden started getting cystic acne on the sides of my face. The derm prescribed Clindagel which I applied once a day and no more acne! I still use it now, and the little white bumps that used to become inflamed now just come to the surface.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:40 am      Reply with quote
Clindagel was prescribed to me as well, and I must say it really was the only thing "that" helped. I seems though as things work in the beginning, my skin becomes immune to them and then they do not work any longer. I am really considering asking my derm for "spiro". I have read posts here and done research. It seems my skin problems are hormonal. My skin becomes a total grease pit after about 20 minutes after washing. I think my problems are my hormones, plus as I stated I am growing hair (in places I should not be!). It seems my readings are screaming HORMONES! What do you think???
cloud_9
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:02 am      Reply with quote
3rd on the Clindagel. I actually use a generic clindamycin topical solution ($12!) and it is the only thing that's ever worked for me. I wrote about it , I think it's on the product review board. It's an antibiotic, so no irritation or peeling or anything. It's worth a shot.

berguis, is the super oiliness a sort of new thing since you started clindagel? because that is one of the side effects (I have the same thing).
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:39 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |