Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Help! Stuck with either flaky or shiny skin.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:33 am      Reply with quote
I have pretty dry skin with fine lines, but regular exfoliation and good moisturisation help to keep this in check - and I've been able to wear JI Amazing Loose Base MMU with no problems. Well, almost no problems.

The one unwanted effect the JI Loose Powder does give me is rather too much shine. Add sunscreen (Avene Spray SPF 40+) into the mix and my face is so shiny that I'm sure people can see their own reflection in it! Shock

I thought I'd solved this problem a couple of days ago when the BE Mineral Veil sample I bought arrived. It worked beautifully on my suncreened skin, even without any foundation underneath - no shine and an evened out, radiant skin tone. It looked fabulous.

Unfortunately, after a few hours, I checked to see how the Mineral Veil was faring and it seemed to have caused my skin to dry out, causing flakiness. Such a disappointment.

Anyway, I've been reading loads of reviews here and elsewhere on other products that might help my skin instead, but they all seem to be aimed at those with oily skin, not dry.

Please, please, please could anyone let me know if they've had any success or could suggest a solution to getting rid of the shine without drying my skin out? (And if a product also gave the gorgeous Mineral Veil effect, so much the better - but that's not vital, it'd just be nice.)

Things I've been considering are:
Jane Iredale Absence
Jane Iredale Amazing Matte
Jurlique Rose Silk Powder

Or can you think of anything else?

And is there anywhere I can buy samples of these to try? (Otherwise it's going to be pretty expensive.)

I'd be ever so grateful for any feedback - and sorry for the huge, long post. Embarassed
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
If I recall correctly the Jane Iredale Absence gets prety poor reviews.
I have seen nothing but praise for the Jurlique Silk Dusts though Very Happy
On make-up alley try doing a search through the swaps, I am sure there are several Jurlique Silk Dust samples listed.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:06 pm      Reply with quote
Dr. Feelgood from Benefit might work(should be called "Love It or Hate It" 'cause that seems to be the consensus) or Smashbox Photofinish. And, though I haven't tried this either, I read in a sunscreen thread here someone suggested dusting w/ cornstarch after ss and before mmu. They said it's milled fine enough for that.

Let me know what works for you; I'm on the same trail as you and will be looking into these products as well. Cyndi K.
queenmama1
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:49 am      Reply with quote
I've used the JI Amazing Loose Base for about two years now, and I love it! I had the same problem as you, and after reading about it on this wonderful forum (I'm a great lurker!), I purchased the Jurlique Rose Silk Dust. It works perfectly to keep the shine you get later in the day under control. I would try it if I were you...the wonderful smell is an added bonus.
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:09 am      Reply with quote
I've tried both the JI Absence and the Jurlique Rose Silk Dust. Neither did anything for my oily skin. I can get similar results to the Jurlique by just using a regular rice powder type product at half the price. I'm still trying to find a suitable product to help my oily skin. I've tried Decleor Ylang Ylang products (which worked for a while but then started drying out my skin), Carekate's Milk of Magnesia trick (didn't work for my skin), T LeClerc powders (nice but did nothing to control my t-zone) and various other blotting powders and matifying products. I'm almost resigned to the fact that my skin is either going to be too oily or turn flaky and dry when I go overboard with the oil control products. Rolling Eyes
At the moment I just blot my skin with tissue paper when it gets too oily. At least it's saving me money instead of wasting it on products that do nothing to control the shine. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:30 am      Reply with quote
Thank you all for your help! Very Happy

rosebud - The Jurlique is definitely what I'm leaning towards trying at the moment. Plus I've still got my lovely $50 voucher to spend, so I'm thinking of putting it towards some Valmont Eye Cream and now maybe the Rose Dust.

Cyndi - Although I absolutely hated Dr Feelgood and I'm worried that the pure cornstarch might be a wee bit too dry for my skin, the Smashbox Photofinish is going on my list to try. Thanks for your suggestion - it seems to be a pretty popular primer.

queenmama - Do you have dry skin too? That Amazing Base is my best foundation ever. I really, really hope the Jurlique (or something else if that doesn't work for me) will make it look even better on me.

Toe - Your skin sounds a lot oilier than mine, and you're still getting flakey skin. Ouch! Poor you. Not fun at all. You have my sympathy.
queenmama1
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:56 am      Reply with quote
Majorb, I have mature, combo, sensitive skin that has really improved since I started lurking on this forum about two years ago. I found that I don't need the Rose Dust during the winter months here, but, since the weather has started warming up, I started using it again this week. I had forgotten how wonderful it is...my makeup looked great even later that night! I really think you'll like it.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:08 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |