Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Which make-up brush brand to buy?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Poll :: Which are the best make-up brushes?

Bobbi Brown
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
Shu Uemura
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Armani
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mac
36%
 36%  [ 7 ]
Lauren Hutton
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
NARS
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Sephora
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 19

CMAYC
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:16 am      Reply with quote
Definately MAC. Mine are as good as new over a decade later! Their brush cleaner is awesome too.
saz07
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:49 am      Reply with quote
I used used MAC brushes and other cheap brushes. I switched to Jane Iredale brushes about a year ago and they are amazing. They provide the skin with a flawless finish whether its the eyes, lips or face. Also it is good to clean the brushes in soapy water at least once a week and allow to dry naturally because they trap bacteria (all brushes)

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 6:45 am      Reply with quote
Laura Mercier and BB
Mom2Busy2Boys
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 10:59 am      Reply with quote
MAC!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 11:53 am      Reply with quote
My all-time favorite brush is from Jane Iredale - the Handi brush - I think it's called - love it. I have MAC, Sephora, Bare Essentail and Lauren Hutton brushes... And others... Laughing
Katsey
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 7:59 pm      Reply with quote
I love MAC brushes. Highly recommend the 219 pencil brush - I use it everyday in the crease of my eyes and at the corners for smokey eyes. I love 217 for blending my eyeshadow, and 213 or 239 for applying your base eyeshadow. For face - 190 foundation brush and 129 for blush.
Katsey
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 08, 2008 8:03 pm      Reply with quote
Also, and I don't know if its already been mentioned, but a good start point is brush sets that come out around the holiday season. Its a bit away so if you want them now, and they aren't as good quality as the regular brushes, but its something to think about.
fang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 09, 2008 1:44 am      Reply with quote
how often should i wash my brushes with brush cleaner if i use them every day?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 09, 2008 5:57 am      Reply with quote
I think the one i'll buy is Bobbi Brown.
All my friends said those are really really good.
seno
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 09, 2008 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
Estee Lauders foundation brush is the best. Also make sure that whatever you buy it's authentic. If buying online make sure its a reputable site. I know of alot of fake Chanel, Nars and MAC.
Loumomofthree
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 3:16 am      Reply with quote
shelly59 wrote:
MAC,without a doubt. I did have two BB brushes, but they shed all the time and I pitched them out. MAC is cheaper and, imho, better quality.

I also like Laura Mercier's eyeliner brushes.

For REALLY inexpensive brushes that "do the job but if they are lost its no tragedy"... like what I take on holiday Cool , Sonia Kushiak(sp?) for Target is a nice line.

I read somewhere that Sonia Kushiak brushes rank right up there with other name brands..without the high price tag..but I wonder about the longevity..
londonfan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 7:24 am      Reply with quote
I would even suggest another brush: adesignbrushes!
They are incredible and supply to Smashbox as well
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 9:52 am      Reply with quote
I bought A'Squirrel about a year and a half ago based on recs from this post. I was looking for high quality with a NOT high price. They seem fine, but here is my dilemma. BTW, I've had this same issue with drugstore brands as well as high end brands (Bobbi Brown, Trish McEvoy).

They ALL leave little pieces of hair on my face Mad I can't stand it b/c then those tiny pieces get into other things, like my concealer, L2K wand, etc. Anyone have a solution???

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
lavendula
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 10, 2008 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
Now I am using brushes from lancome. I think they are nice.

5% products discount

Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
I got a Lancome brush set for free as a promo. It`s actually just one handle with exchangeable heads. I only use the powder/blush brush and am happy with the result. Otherwise I use the concealer brush by Clinique and the eye shadow brush (also Clinique). I`m not sure how they compare to the ones mentioned on this threat by I can`t complain about them.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:37 am      Reply with quote
tsjmom wrote:
They seem fine, but here is my dilemma. BTW, I've had this same issue with drugstore brands as well as high end brands (Bobbi Brown, Trish McEvoy).

They ALL leave little pieces of hair on my face Mad I can't stand it b/c then those tiny pieces get into other things, like my concealer, L2K wand, etc. Anyone have a solution???

I have several Bobbi Brown, 1 MAC and 1 Trish Mcevoy...and none of them shed. I may have noticed one hair every 6 months or so...but that is it. I am therefore wondering what brush cleanwser you are using? And if afterward you lay them flat to dry so the water in the bristles doesn't weaken the glue?
Just a thought...
tsjmom
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:05 am      Reply with quote
myamax wrote:
tsjmom wrote:
They seem fine, but here is my dilemma. BTW, I've had this same issue with drugstore brands as well as high end brands (Bobbi Brown, Trish McEvoy).

I have several Bobbi Brown, 1 MAC and 1 Trish Mcevoy...and none of them shed. I may have noticed one hair every 6 months or so...but that is it. I am therefore wondering what brush cleanwser you are using? And if afterward you lay them flat to dry so the water in the bristles doesn't weaken the glue?
Just a thought...

I just use the liquid hand soap at the sink, shake the excess water off, and then stand them upright. I never thought about weakening the glue. I get several short hairs every day and it's really annoying.

What is the exact proper way to clean them? (...going back to the remedial class Embarassed )

46, curly dk blonde hair, fair, blue eyes, very oily T-zone. HGs: Tazorac .05% gel; Avene/Bioderma s/s (very high spf AND ppd); Cellbone vit Cie 20%; Cellbone Hyperpeptides; IFP 5% bha/10% aha; Obagi Clear; 'curly girl' method (no poo, just co wash) for my 3b curls.
myamax
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:47 am      Reply with quote
Perhaps it is the 'standing upright' that is the problem?

Not sure if this is the 'certified' correct method, yet I have been doing this for about 8 years now (still have the same Bobbi Brown brushes!) and it's working for me.

I use shampoo and cool water. Somewhere I read that hot water can damage synthetic brushes and I have two Alima #25's so I am careful about that. Figure hot water cannot be good for the real bristle brushes either though.

put a small dollop of soap or shampoo in the palm of the hand. Wet the brush (bristles only)in water - I hold onto the handle and just run the bristles under water, or dab the brush bristles a few times into the sink type of idea.

Swirl the brisltes into the shampoo in your palm for aprox. 3-5 seconds and then rinse well. You can tell you have rinsed well enough if you swirl the brush against a part of your hand that doesn't have shampoo...if it foams, rinse it some more.

Hold the handle of the brush so bristles are pointing downward and give the bristles a gentle squeeze to get the bulk of the water out. Don't twist or wring, just squeeze keeping the bristles straight and together.

Smooth any flyaway bristles into shape and lay them flat to dry on top of a towel or facecloth...the material will help soak up some of the water.

Hope that helps!
jellyberry
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:28 am      Reply with quote
I love using JASON organic shampoo as a cleanser with the smashbox brush cleaner in between washes. Before I use them after washing, I always flush them up and zap it with a hairdryer for a few seconds! As for brushes...everydaymineral has amazingly soft brushes! They don't shed and are very moderately priced...$12/brush? Smile
Grace_K
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
MAC and Bobbi Brown. The best brushes I ever got.
suzannek
5% products discount

Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:55 am      Reply with quote
I really like Lumiere brushes. I purchased the Professional brush set last fall when they had a prebuy special and I could not be happier. In fact after giving many away as gifts, I still have some that I have not yet used. Even at full price, I beleive they are reasonably priced for the quality.
NJ
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:26 am      Reply with quote
I love Ecotools bamboo brushes. Not only are they environmentally friendly, their brushes are sooooo soft and inexpensive I want to buy their entire line of brushes.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:32 am      Reply with quote
I vote for MAC and Armani..im using MAC..they are really good brushes... and Armani is the one i alwys wanted to get..but since i've got MAC at the moment.. maybe reserve Armani for later..
Chanel have good brushes as well... they look good... maybe iL try 'em one day if i get the chance...

Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:40 am      Reply with quote
Always love Bobbi Brown brush
Majolenka
5% products discount

Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:03 am      Reply with quote
I have read in a magazine that natural hair brushes are better for applying powder products because you have more control and don`t cake up easily. Whereas creamy based products like foundations concealers and lipsticks are better applied with synthetic brushes. Can any of you more experienced confirm this? Thanks

Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:08 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |