Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Which make-up brush brand to buy?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Poll :: Which are the best make-up brushes?

Bobbi Brown
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
Shu Uemura
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Armani
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mac
36%
 36%  [ 7 ]
Lauren Hutton
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
NARS
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Sephora
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 19

tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:01 am      Reply with quote
Well, today I bought the Bobbi Brown foundation brush! First step! I also looked at MAC and found they were pretty much the same, except that I liked that Bobbi Brown had a slightly shorter handle and it was also like $10 cheaper!

None of the brushes are sold in sets here but the individual price was comparable.

Bobbi Brown foundation ($30 on Gloss.com) was 4,000 yen (about $34).

The MAC foundation brush was around 5,000 yen here (around $43), which is a much bigger difference to the $32 on Gloss.com

will add some more cuties to the collection next month!! Thanks everyone for your comments!!
pinkmelody
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 26, 2006 7:48 am      Reply with quote
I think that Bobbi Brown's bruhs is softer for some reasons
qisme615
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 26, 2006 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
I like Paula Dorf's makeup brushes, very nice and bought the travel size brushes.
kez
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 27, 2006 8:38 pm      Reply with quote
Hi I am interested to know whether you purchased any brushes yet? If so what brand did you go with? As i am looking for a foundation brush. SmileI am currently leaning towards MAC. Thanks
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 28, 2006 12:01 am      Reply with quote
I bought the Bobbi Brown foundation brush in the end. I have only used it a couple times because I had a problem - my eyes were so bad I could not get close enough to the mirror to see to blend (the handle of the brush kept me too far from the mirror) Laughing

After having lasik last week I intend to give it a full test out next week! (along with my Guerlain foundation primer sample)

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 28, 2006 1:30 am      Reply with quote
I am so sorry, you must think i am so stupid, when i wrote before i hadn't read the second page Embarassed I hope your eyes are seeing better now and that we get to read a review on the foundation brush soon Very Happy
vpmiyu
5% products discount

Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:36 pm      Reply with quote
Anyone know how Smashbox brushes compare? I punked down some serous money for those a few years ago... just went with the first thing I saw. I don't use makeup brushes often but just want to see if they are really worth anything!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:33 am      Reply with quote
I voted for MAC........
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:11 pm      Reply with quote
I like Trish Mc or Shu but not on the list, so I voted for BB. but I also have MAC and Smashbox brushs that have held up well for going on 8years. Just clean them properly and often.
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:11 pm      Reply with quote
I like Trish Mc or Shu but not on the list, so I voted for BB. but I also have MAC and Smashbox brushs that have held up well for going on 8years. Just clean them properly and often.
KNFN
5% products discount

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:10 am      Reply with quote
Wow, I never realized how many brushes I use until I wrote this. I think i might be high maintenance! Confused

Smashbox - Eyeliner Brush
Smashbox - Powder Brush 1 (for blush)
LORAC - Brush 110 for Powder
LORAC - Brush 111 for eyelashes/eyebrows
LORAC - Brush 108 for eyeshadow base
Sephora - Eye Shadow Brush
Sephora - Smudge Brush
Alchemy - Concealer Brush
MAC - 222 Blending Brush
MAC - 225 Blending Brush
MAC - 239 Shading Brush
MAC - 213 Fluff Brush
happyhippie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:36 am      Reply with quote
I love the Jane Iredale brushes Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
nikkilici0us
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:37 am      Reply with quote
MAC brushes are great

I have a kit from isomers thats hand tied and soft real hair<3 love it
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
tiger tim--japonesque has an awesome travel tube (i tend to like travel versions better as they're easier to apply with) that has like 2 eyeshadow brushes, a lip brush, a concealer brush and a blushbrush. the eyeshadow, concealer, and lip brushes are awesome (yucky on the blush brush), but the price is well worth it for the first 4 brushes alone--about $15 and they come in a choice of colors too, turquoise, fuschia, orange, green, silver or black. http://www.japonesque.com/prod_travelbrushes.html (scroll all the way to the bottom)

japonesque is quite high quality brand that kinda gets ignored for some reason. i have also their travel kabuki brush which is also very nice.

for foundation brushes, i have the chanel, lancome, and sonia kashuk (target brand) brushes. i really like the chanel brush and the lancome brush, skip the sonai kashuk one--that was my first foundation brush.

i also have an assortment of chanel brushes, all for the eyes, and i have to say i love their eyeliner brush--it's not the angled one, but their brush #4. #4 applies cake eyeliner like a dream. i also have the mac #311 and i don't recommend that for cake eyeliner though i have heard it is good for gel liners.

oh yeah, and stay away from cat cosmetics brushes. i got the little travel version and my god, these are AWFUL. they are flimsy and just plain terrible. i don't see how they're getting such awesome reviews on MUA.

HTH!

5% products discount

Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:08 am      Reply with quote
I use smashbox brushes and think their one of the best. I've had my #01 brush now for 5 years ish and it still cannot be beaten for mineral makeup application!!
I agree with lianne the brush is sooooo soft, it's lush!! Very Happy
gosa
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:30 am      Reply with quote
the brushes from Shu Uemura won't disappoint you... i've got a big blush blush and it always makes me feel so good whenever i put makeup on.
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:59 am      Reply with quote
Bobbi Brown and Mac are both excellent. One MUST buy is the Mac Foundation brush (#190?). It costs $37+tax (Sad) in Canada, but I got it off eBay for 20 Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy It is amazing. I used to use sponges for foundation, but I find that using the brush is better because it doesn't suck up the foundation like the sponges, so you can save on foundation Smile

Also, if you find the BB and Mac brushes expensive, which they are :P, go for Quo brushes. They have that in Canada only I think. I'm not sure where else you can get it. They are very comparable for a much better price! You can probably get them on eBay as well :P HTH
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:44 am      Reply with quote
Thought I would add a rave for MAC 263 Angled brush. I don't just love it, I A.D.O.R.E it!!!! Got it a few days ago. It's the BEST eye liner brush ever. You can get a really really thin line - almost like no eyeliner. Before that I've had the two BB eye liner brushers. I don't like the BB fine liner - it's not fine at all!
Verdigris
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:02 am      Reply with quote
I just came on here to look for brush recommendations and found just the thread for me! Very Happy I currently have an A'squirrel set and also a MAC travel set (from the last holiday collection) but find the MAC a little scratchy around the eyes, and the A'squirrel just doesn't give me enough brushes to use the 53 eye colours I like to apply in one day. So I predominantly need eyeshadow brushes. The Japonesque ones look very interesting, just off hand, does anyone know where I can get them that ships to Australia? I am about to do some investigating...
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Verdigris wrote:
I just came on here to look for brush recommendations and found just the thread for me! Very Happy I currently have an A'squirrel set and also a MAC travel set (from the last holiday collection) but find the MAC a little scratchy around the eyes, and the A'squirrel just doesn't give me enough brushes to use the 53 eye colours I like to apply in one day. So I predominantly need eyeshadow brushes. The Japonesque ones look very interesting, just off hand, does anyone know where I can get them that ships to Australia? I am about to do some investigating...

FYI MAC travel sets CANNOT compare to the real thing at all. I have both and MAC travel sets shed and are way scratchier than the full sizes. Not to mention all the travel sets because they're more mass-produced are all MADE IN CHINA (which very much turns me off) but all my full sized MAC brushes are made in various places depending on which type of brush it is so I have their brushes made in France, Japan, USA, etc. That also gives me more confident that the full sizes use REAL HAIR versus synthetic which is probably what their travel sets are. So just so you know MAC makes great brushes except for the travel sets. But japonesque brushes are definitely a good choice (although also made in china). They are very very soft.
teatea
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:17 pm      Reply with quote
I love Nars,
I have been disappointed with Bobbie Brown.
Verdigris
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:21 am      Reply with quote
sormuimui wrote:

FYI MAC travel sets CANNOT compare to the real thing at all. I have both and MAC travel sets shed and are way scratchier than the full sizes. Not to mention all the travel sets because they're more mass-produced are all MADE IN CHINA (which very much turns me off) but all my full sized MAC brushes are made in various places depending on which type of brush it is so I have their brushes made in France, Japan, USA, etc. That also gives me more confident that the full sizes use REAL HAIR versus synthetic which is probably what their travel sets are. So just so you know MAC makes great brushes except for the travel sets. But japonesque brushes are definitely a good choice (although also made in china). They are very very soft.

I have heard/read that the travel sets are nowhere near as good as the full sized ones, but the retail prices of MAC brushes in Australia are ridiculous (the #187 brush is US$62 here) so am a bit hesitant about buying more brushes here. Trying to check out the brushes on the website isn't much help either, as it doesn't tell me what the brushes are made of.
milodomi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
shu uemura or bobbi brown Smile
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
Bobbie Brown
Emma2006
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:09 am      Reply with quote
My fave brushes are as follows:
Trish McEvoy Powder Brush.
Trish McEvoy #11 liner brush
MAC skunk brush (#187)
NARS bronzer brush
Lancome foundation brush
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:51 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |