Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Foundation brush- yay or nay?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
Do you use a foundation brush to apply your makeup? If so or if not, why?

I've been told that it applies liquid foundation more smoothly and evenly and can provide better coverage.

Wondering what all your thoughts are on this...

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
I use MAC's foundation brush to apply foundation, concealer, and even tinted moisturizer. It provides a nice even finish and seems to minimize pores, too. I find the brush better than sponges because I feel like I'm actually rubbing the product off with the sponge. I also think I get a more controlled coverage with the brush, too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
I think i get better control and finish with my fingertips. The sponge absorbs alot of foundation, so you are wasting alot of foundation everytime you apply with a sponge. A foundation brush can get quite pricey though

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
I prefer using my fingers. It's easier, cheaper and easier to clean.
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:57 pm      Reply with quote
LandB wrote:
I use MAC's foundation brush to apply foundation, concealer, and even tinted moisturizer. It provides a nice even finish and seems to minimize pores, too. I find the brush better than sponges because I feel like I'm actually rubbing the product off with the sponge. I also think I get a more controlled coverage with the brush, too.

Same here. I used to think that my fingers did a good enough job but then I tried the brush out at the counter and found that when it comes to the sides of my nose and filling in pores and my stupid chicken pox scars, my fingers can't beat the brush. The brush is also excellent for when I don't want to do a full-face but only on areas where I need some coverage because the brush blends the foundation into my skin seamlessly.

I dip the tip of the brush in my foundation bottle or pour a drop of foundation on the back of my hand and work the brush from there.

IMHO it's a necessary makeup tool, superior to the sponge for applying liquid foundation and offers better control for coverage than your fingers.

HTH! Smile

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
I used Jane Iredale foundation brush when I use her liquid foundation. It's smoother and more even. Different cosmetic line has different preference. I went to Bobbi Brown they used fingers. I went to Laura Mercier they used brushes.

Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:10 am      Reply with quote
I like to but I don't always (not when I'm in a hurry). Btw, here's a previous poll on this and also some opinions: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=2827

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:18 am      Reply with quote
What a great thread, I am going to watch with interest Very Happy

5% products discount

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:42 am      Reply with quote
I find the warmth of my fingers tend to make the liquid foundation easier to blend. An SA once applied Prescriptives Flawless Skin on me using a foundation brush and I found the coverage too heavy and a little bit streaky. I have used a sponge but found it was difficult to blend and wasteful as it was absorbing the foundation.
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:50 am      Reply with quote
I use a perscriptives foundation brush. I love the way it makes my makeup go on and I feel like I'm not tugging at my face as much.
oli_d
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:30 am      Reply with quote
personally i prefer a sponge over a brush because you can mould it to fit any section of the face, around the nose and especially around the eyes, you can blend in contouring products if needed as well. To avoid wasting alot of foundation, wet the sponge with water before hand, that way it won't absorb your foundation. And to get the right finish you pat it on the skin rather than smooth over. But for normal day to day application i just apply with my fingers as it is quicker and you will get a lighter, more natural finish. I have used a brush as well, but i still preffer a sponge.

oli
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:43 am      Reply with quote
I bought one and never use it. I prefer my fingers/sponge the best.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:45 am      Reply with quote
im thinking of getting the MAC foundation brush. Is it worth spending the $38 canadian dollars?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:56 am      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:
im thinking of getting the MAC foundation brush. Is it worth spending the $38 canadian dollars?

it's probably one of the better priced pro brushes you can get, so if you were going to get one i'd say that would be the one to get.

oli
doba
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:31 am      Reply with quote
I use a sponge, it gives me a much better coverage then my fingers. Now, thinking of getting the brush.
Sassyred
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:33 am      Reply with quote
I have by MAC but never use it! the only reason is I hate cleaning it after each use so I use my hand.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:35 am      Reply with quote
I think you might be wasting a lot of product on the sponge though. And I prefer the brush because it feels better than poking at my face with my fingers. Alas, I'm not very graceful... Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:36 am      Reply with quote
If you want to "try" one before you invest in an expensive one my CVS and Rite Aids have a set of brushes that are very inexpensive ($15-$5) and they are really nice (for the money). They have a foundation brush that you could try and see if you like the way it feels.
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:09 pm      Reply with quote
I have both the MAC and Px ones. I use the MAC more because it's fuller and feels softer on the skin. For more sheer coverage I use a damp sponge and stipple, then blend. Never use my fingers as foundation always ends up streaky.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
great input, everyone! Thank you Smile

I have also heard that one should invest in good brushes b/c it can make a lot of difference. I believe this and I also like how soft the more expensive brushes can be on my face. I am very sensitive to that sort of thing.

I am definitely going to give a foundation brush a try. (I am currently trying JI's liquid foundation and find that, when worn under the pressed powder, it evens out my complexion a lot better and provides a good base to apply the powder to compared to wearing powder alone. It also help tones down my redness when my skin is having a bad day. But that's a whole other thread!)

Now, I need to decide which brand to try... Wink

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
muzzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:28 am      Reply with quote
Ive been using Smashbox's foundation brush for a couple of years now and loveeee it. I use it with whatever liquid foundation I am using at the time. For me, my face seems to get oilier quicker when I use my fingers to apply foundation... plus it's harder to "airbrush" over the final finish without having "finger prints" and areas of more deposits of the foundation than with the brush. It doesnt absorb like a sponge either ( though I like latex sponges too) so its more economical in the long run. The increased surface area of all those bristles seem to fill in any visible pores around the nose that finger ( and even sponge ) application leave sitting only on the surface, that's a good benefit!

Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |