Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pale or Tanned this summer?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:30 am      Reply with quote
Thought this would make an interesting topic.

So are you planning to be tanned this summer?

If so will it be natural, fake or both?

If fake, what product are you planning on using?

For everyone, what Sunscreens are you planning on using for face and body.

If you are choosing not to opt for a tan, what has influenced this choice?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:25 am      Reply with quote
Definitely tanned and it will be fake. I will use Liz Earle for the face, neck, decollete and Jergens for the rest.
mylovebug
5% products discount

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:27 am      Reply with quote
Hiya!!

I am planning a fake tan, not too tanned, just enough to take the glow white away!! Surprised I am using Dove Summer Glow, but i wanna try Savage Bronze Sunless Tanning Mousse because of the good reviews, it's worth a try for £8! Wink
Sunscreen always on face, will be buying MD Formulations Total Protector SPF30 in Light and body will have sunscreen when exposed.
Not sure which bodt sunscreen to go for.

Very Happy
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:35 am      Reply with quote
Hi mylovebug

What's the Dove Summer glow smell like and is is idiot proof like the Jergens? I might give that a go.

Sarah
mylovebug
5% products discount

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:49 am      Reply with quote
Hi Sarahb,

Well i like the Dove, it doesn't smell, it smells like a body lotion and it doesn't smell anything like the johnson's one,i can't compare to Jergens as i haven't tried it.

My friend used it and didn't get on with it, but it was because she applied it like a body lotion rather than a fake tan, so my advise would be apply it like a fake tan!!

For the price you can't go wrong!!

HTH
R
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:32 am      Reply with quote
I have decided this summer to be good and try to keep out of the sun!!

So have got some Dove Summer Glow for my body and some Johnson's Holiday moisturiser for my face.
I'll be using Avene Lait Sunscreen.

Looking at recent photos and one's from last summer it made me realise I actually look better when I am paler! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:45 am      Reply with quote
I usually am pale, will use a self-tanner if wanting a bit of colour. I will never bake in the sun again!
Allie Grace
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:12 am      Reply with quote
I'm so glad you brought this up! I have been considering for the first summer ever to not get "tanned" as I normally do. I usually go for a sunkissed look with self tanners and a LITTLE sun.

Tanning has always helped Cover my flaws, I have Never had great skin, gave up on it as a teen and just lived with it- really sad, I'm talking ZERO skincare. I'm 42 now, it's time to try again and see if I can at least not be ashamed of my skin with the acne scars and a million other flaws. This board has been a huge help btw.

Here's the reason for the change of heart about self tanners and sun...I have been going through a makeover these past couple months...since January. I'm taking really good care of myself with super healthy food, exercise 60 min a day (very challenging), and new found skincare. This "makeover" began for health/medical reasons, but the side effects are beauty:) Lost 15 lbs too...10 to go and its' melting off.

Sooo, I was debating all week with my Jergens lotion to hide my flaws -which are'nt as bad now as they were a few months ago- but keep putting it off. Yesterday I go to see a friend with my Pale face LOL...and I get the best compliment right out of the blue- I am beautiful, I don't need makeup, I have a certain glow. MOI? Say What????I NEVER get compliments like that. My lashes are dyed, I was wearing tinted moisturizer, a tiny bit of blush and a little burt bees lip shimmer with lip enhancer...I guess I looked makeupless.

That sealed it LOL...I may use a little Jergens, but I am going for a paler softer "glow" look this year.

Sorry for the long post, but I am very pleased and wanted to share!

I need a good sunscreen and will start my search soon.

Allie Grace
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:16 am      Reply with quote
im going to get a little bit of a tan this summer, but i know tanning all the time is going to catch up to me when i get older. Im going to protect my face with sun lotion and use bronzer on my face when i go out.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:20 am      Reply with quote
If you fallow the fashion then you should stick to the pale and natural skin for this summer season. As for me, can't resist to get some sun on my face and body,no matter what they say, so I will probably get tanned (may fake tan).

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:23 am      Reply with quote
Allie Grace the reason I have baked myself in the sun the last years was because it covered my blemishes and ance scars, it was only when I looked at past photos I realised I just looked like I have spent too much time in the sun!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:40 am      Reply with quote
Summer is so hard for me... I grew up going to the beach, so I was tan from May to September and tan lines would last for months.

I'm 28 now, and a few years ago Neutrogena had a booth at a fair and they took one of those special photos that shows you your sun damage, and it was frightening! I have a fair amount of freckles and moles, but practically my whole face was "freckled" with sun damage.

I wear sunscreen now whenever I'm going to be outside for a prolonged time (I know I need it daily, and I used to, but I haven't figured out what to work into my current regime), but even so--I anticipate spending days at the beach.

It's probably my favorite thing in the world--laying on a fluffy towel getting all warm and toasty and relaxed, then frolicking in the waves. I took up surfing last summer--so that will probably actually help--I'll be covered up whenever I'm on my board, but I just can't resist being outside.

My favorite sunscreen for body (and I use it on my face when I go to the beach or the amusement park, etc.) is Coppertone Endless Summer UltraSheer Sunscreen. It comes in a variety of SPFs and it is not greasy or thick feeling like so many others. I can use it on my face and not break out, and it's relatively matte. They do make a version for faces, but I haven't tried it yet.
Allie Grace
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:48 am      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:
Allie Grace the reason I have baked myself in the sun the last years was because it covered my blemishes and ance scars, it was only when I looked at past photos I realised I just looked like I have spent too much time in the sun!

Oh... so you too huh!!!

Self tanners can be such a blessing, even just a little can help minimize my scars, I just won't do as much this year.

You know something else I noticed is that when I went too tan (be it self tanners or reg sunshine) it will actaully accentuate any wrinkles.

I'm trying the Neutrogena Acne Fading peel and it seems to be helping...although right now I am trying so many different products for the first time that I'm not sure which one is helping what until I stop using it LOL!

Allie
Allie Grace
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:05 am      Reply with quote
tularyn, I feel for you, I grew up on the beach too, I LOVE the feeling of the sun and the waves. My ex husband was a surfer:)

Doc told me recently to stay OUT of the sun...wear sunscreen and a big hat. I cannot picture myself "frolicking in the waves" wearing a big floppy hat and maybe a moo moo dress LOL. Sort of ruins the mood.

No matter for me now though, I'm no longer living on the beach now, moved to the shady Pacific Northwest so it's not as hard for me as it must be for you. I'll be trying your sunscreen btw.

Allie
CyndiK.
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:07 am      Reply with quote
Like this topic...reading everyone's plan...

I'll use Jergen's Glow, actually the CVS knockoff; the smell doesn't bother me...maybe 'cause I only wear it on my legs and belly; for me the shade and intensity are perfect. I spend so much time outside that my upper body gets a tan in spite of diligently applied high spf screens - matches my Jergen's legs. I'm plan to try the Zirh shaving gel recommended by Caretake and have a new Quattro ladies razor that I hope will cut down on my shaving...optimizing the leg tan.

Because I'm healing a face scar (very important) and obvious common sense reasons, I need as much block on my face as possible short of a completely white face I hope. Sad The humidity of my climate and my activities (read perspiration) leave chemical screens not-good-enough. I would LOVE a GREAT physical face block, as Skinceuticals Sport 45 is, but I’m desperate to find less shine...it's just crazy shiny oily looking...if you have similar concerns and know of something I might try...please let me know. The shine is blinding. Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:09 am      Reply with quote
I plan to tan at the beach and on the boat. Its the reason I live on the coast!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:16 am      Reply with quote
I am pale, and will use a self-tanner when I want some colour.
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:31 am      Reply with quote
Can I ask about some of the products people here are mentioning, i.e. Jergen's Glow? Is that a self tanner or something else? I WOULD like something that would make me a little rosier but I'm not into the fake tan thing.

This summer will be the first that I will deliberately avoid the sun and tanning. I used to love to get a slight tan every so often...it made my eyes look brighter, just gave me a healthier appearance in general.

But the permanent damage the sun does is no longer worth the tan for me. Starting to see the damage has scared me right out of THAT!
Allie Grace
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:41 am      Reply with quote
just an aside...I believe that a little sunshine in moderation is good for me personally.... I did'nt mean to sound like a shadow person who only goes out wearing a large hat and a moo moo LOL.

I would use a sunblock/screen all over if I planned to spend the afternoon in the full sun...everything in moderation. imho:)

Allie
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:47 am      Reply with quote
My natural skin colour makes me look like one of the undead who is feeling extremely ill (despite already being dead). Shock

When I wear fake tan (which never gives me a very strong colour because I'm so blummin' pale to being with) everyone tells me how healthy I'm looking.

So I'll be plastering myself in the stuff.

The sun just turns me bright red, burns, makes me faint and gives me sunstroke. I try to avoid it at all possible costs.

If you ever see an idiot on the beach, wearing a big coat and trousers, that'll be me. Laughing
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:58 am      Reply with quote
I do agree that a little bit of sun is beneficial, after all we all need Vitamin D.
I read a beauty book by Leslie Kenton who advocated sitting out in the early morning and late afternoon sun. That way you still get the beneficial rays but not the extreme midday sun.
There is reason for siesta!! Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
I am very pale ... have always been very pale.

When I was a teenager ... many many moons ago ... I used to get so frustrated because I would neither tan nor burn.

My brother and I would be on the tennis courts the same length of time ... but he'd come home "black" [really darkly tanned] and I'd come home with a couple of pink bits on top of my shoulders ... that would be gone by morning! Crying or Very sad

Of course, those were the days when everyone sat out in the sun to "tan" ... except me ... because I got bored after about 3 minutes. Laughing

Of course, I didn't know then that bright sunlight tends to trigger my migraines ... so as an adult, I tended to stay out of direct sunlight ... preferring not to have a headache ... and it wasn't like I was going to tan anyway! Laughing

So ... now, of course, tanning is bad. Laughing So perhaps my skin had the right idea all along! Laughing

I get out in the sun, but tend to stay shaded as much as possible ... to avoid migraines ... but I would love something that would give me a "glow".

I may look into this Jergens stuff ... Very Happy

But in answer to the original question ... I will go around pale again this year ... why spoil my perfect record? Laughing

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
I have always been out in the sun as soon as it appears, not too ofter here in Scotland and not as hot as you lot get it in other places but I love having a bit colour about me - this year though I have to change all this - I have been using Renova and TCA peels, my skin is aging prematurely down to all the years lying out with nothing but oil on, I will have to try to keep out of it and wear sunscreen. Maybe I will get a bit of a tan on my body then out a fake tan on my face then I wont feel so bad........ I just dont see the point of lying at the beach all day to be white at the end of it.......... I know it damages you but dont you just love having a glow about you? Why are all the things we love so bad for us?????
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
This is what I keep telling myself.... I will enjoy the sun in moderation while taking reasonable precautions such as sunscreen and a hat while enhancing my natural glow with self-tanning products.

What will probably happen, however, is that I will get a tan. I just can't get away from my 50% mediterranean heritage. The sun, oh how I adore thee. Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
I love looking tanned and sun kissed. I have had so much sun exposure due to my active childhood and many years of doing outdoor sports. But I have seen the toll it has taken on my skin especially my face.

I am kind of opting for pale... I have gotten used to it the past few years that I haven't been outdoors as much as before (I never knew I could look so much like a road map with so many of my veins showing!). I just don't have the time, patience, nor the money to self-tan/ fake-n-bake.

Basically, I am all for protection from the sun. Cool So this summer because I think I will be outside a lot (outdoor swimming pool, mountain biking) I am going to be slathering myself with sunblock or wearing whatever I can to cover my skin (yup, if you see a woman swimming laps with long sleeves on- that's me! Very Happy ). I am going to use Skinceuticals' physical sunblock or find something equivalent but perhaps less expensive.

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:24 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |