Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

::Review:: Clarisonic Face Brush
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
TameraT
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
Ok. I have a question. I just got the Clarisonic brush. I've only used it about 2 times. But now my chin is breaking out with pimples, and since using dr. denese and lightstim, I've never broke out.

Only since I started using th clarisonic (AND ONLY on the CHIN AREA) Of course this was where most of my blackheads sit. Maybe this is purging?

Any suggestions?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
TameraT- are you using the cleanser that came with it? It made me breakout but now I just use my Obagi gentle with it and no problem. I threw the Clarisonic cleanser away.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR
I have used the cleanser that I've always used. I didn't use theirs except for the very first time. But the other 2 times, I have not.

I think it is just purging, and if it is, hopefully it will be clearer after it is purged.

5% products discount

Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:47 am      Reply with quote
I also had a few breakouts the first few times I used my clarisonic. Stopping using the cleanser did help but after I broke mine and started using the replacement again after a few week break (with my usual cleanser) I did get a few small breakouts. They do go away.
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
Those of you who break out from the cleanser should switch to another one. The Clarisonic cleanser has Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan) Extract, which is highly comedogenic, and could be the reason for your breakouts.
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
Ladies,

Do you think this brush is ok to use on skin that is somewhat reactive and has capillary damage?? My skin has thinned abit this year and now broken caps are showing add to the fact I have more blackheads. Your input is greatly appreciated. Very Happy I've teetered back and forth about this gadget! I certainly don't want to make my skin worse!!

TIA

Lisa

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
Lisa, I don't want to suggest one way or another for you, but I will relay my story and let you make a decision for yourself:

My t-zone has enlarged pores as does the area of my cheeks next to my either side of my nose (I'm oily). I'm fair-skinned and tend toward redness, especially on one side of my face that has what I can only guess is a mild case of rosacea (sp?). I also have some broken caps and I'm sure the rosacea area looks the way it does because of some broken caps.

I use my Clarisonic usually twice a day and I must say that when I am done, my face is far less red that it normally is when I use my hands or a washcloth. Its like the Clarisonic doesn't irritate my skin at all, which is odd for me because a lot of stuff does make it red. I've noticed that my pores are smaller and the blackheads have reduced (but not gone away yet entirely - I'm thinking of using Mandelic acid or BHA or something on them). I think any exfoliation the Clarisonic does is very very mild (though I am still using it on the lowest setting and still using the sensitive brush and have been for the month I've been using it, but I do one entire minute each on my forehead, left and right side of face, and my neck). Also, the rosacea spot on my face has improved and is smaller and less red.

Smile
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:11 am      Reply with quote
I do know they carry a disclaimer that Clarisonic is not to be used on rosacea skin. I use it, but very carefully on the areas with broken caps.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:15 am      Reply with quote
Lifeplyr01.
I too have rosacia. However, it is not as bad as it used to be.

I have used the Clarisonic, and my skin purged in the chin area. Which now is ok by the way.
It is pretty clear again. So I think the clarisonic brought some icky stuff to the surface to get out.

I actually thought that the Clarisonic was too wimpy for my face. But, as I kept using it, I found that I really like how my face feels after using it. I will continue to use it and it is a keeper along with my Lightstim.

My husband was joking about all my gadgets now sitting on the sink counter.

I just told him, well I wanted to be equal to all your electronics, etc. ha ha

I do like the Clarisonic. I was really on the fence about it, I didn't want to be redder in the face. But I don't see that happening.

I like it.

Before:
Large Pores.
OILY skin.
Red skin.

After:
Small pores (Barely noticible)
Not very oily anymore.
Red skin has been reduced.

But I also do the beginning Factory settings.
20 seconds on Forehead
20 seconds on Chin, nose
10 on Left side cheek area
10 on Right side cheek area.

Sometimes I don't feel like it is enough, but I think, cool it Tammy. That is enough.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:35 am      Reply with quote
I am dying waiting for this thing to arrive! I ordered it last monday, so hopefully it'll be there when I get home.

Do most of you use it in the morning or at night? I'd rather use it at night, but I don't know if my mineral makeup will be a problem.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:04 am      Reply with quote
I use it am and pm, and like TameraT I keep it on the default setting.

Its grrrrreat! I hope you get on well with it. I love mine.
Lifeplyr01
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks ladies for your input!! I know it's so hard to judge being that we can't see each others skin. My dilema now is whether to purchase a Zeno or the Clarisonic (uuggh I've been having hormonal breakouts most of this year.)

Good thing my Bday and Xmas is coming up. Bad Grin

Again thanks!
Lisa

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
Lifeplyr01 wrote:
Thanks ladies for your input!! I know it's so hard to judge being that we can't see each others skin. My dilema now is whether to purchase a Zeno or the Clarisonic (uuggh I've been having hormonal breakouts most of this year.)

Good thing my Bday and Xmas is coming up. Bad Grin

Again thanks!
Lisa

I think you will be very happy with the Clarisonic. I had a wave of hormonal breakouts on my chin this summer and this thing has helped so much because it brought those suckers to head quickly so i can extract and medicate, or else they would have painfully lingered under my skin for weeks.
marnie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
I'm so glad to read about others experiences with this - I have been tempted by it for so long. I think I will probably go ahead and get it soon.
reignofterra
5% products discount

Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:16 am      Reply with quote
Hi there -

Just wanted to chime in and say that I've been using my Clarisonic for 10 days now, and I'm really liking it. I have oily, breakout-prone skin, and I've only gotten 1 pimple in the last week, compared to the 3-4 I'd normally get. My skin is much smoother, too. So far, my pores haven't been significantly reduced, but they are pretty huge to start with, so I'm hoping that with time they'll shrink. I would suggest sticking to the factory defaults at least for a while. I don't have very sensitive skin, but I used the Clarisonic for 2 minutes with the gentle brush and my face was RED.

All in all, I'm loving this brush. I live in Germany where the voltage is 220, and I bought a transformer so I could use this. So glad I did! Razz
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
I've got to add my raves for this device. I've had mine since early September and it has done a wonderful job of keeping my combination/prone-to-congestion skin clear and smooth. My huge pores are much smaller-looking and the rather noticeable blackheads on my nose are nearly gone. Since I've startd using it, I've not had any significant breakouts or zits--just a few, small, not-very-noticeable bumps here and there which may have more to do with other components of my skincare routine (Paula's Choice 2% BHA). Overall, my skin is smoother and clearer than it's been in quite a long time.

I use it on the factory settings, but have moved on to the normal brush. For some reason, it seems less scratchy on my skin than the sensitive one! I use this at night after I remove my MMU and sunscreen with some sort of cleansing oil (and rinse off the oil), and in the morning. I'm just using the classic Clearasil cream cleanser with this, just because I had it lying around and didn't want to buy a new one.

Of course, manual exfoliation isn't the only thing I'm using to keep my skin clear. I've always used an AHA of some kind at night and recently have also incorporated a BHA into my routine. So I'm currently using Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid during the day, along with a homemade Vitamin C serum, and am alternating between MaMa lotion and Green Cream (level 6) at night. So far, I'm very happy with the results. I think my skin is getting more refined every day. The Clarisonic has done an excellent job of keeping "the flakies" from these chemical exfoliants away as well. I think that the manual and chemical exfoliation complements each other--the BHA cleans out the pores, the AHA attacks the dull surface skin, and the Clarisonic sweeps away the remainders.

That sounds like an awful lot of exfoliation (I even use Pernox occasionally) but my skin is very tough and never gets irritated. I think it's working out for me overall--if you have problems with your skin getting congested easily, I'd recommend you try the Clarisonic for awhile in combination with an AHA/BHA routine--you'll be amazed at the results!
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks to all these raves, I got one and have been using it for a week. Like a loon, I hated to JUST throw away the cleanser that came with it, so I used it for 3 days. The stuff is terrible. For all those who have yet to order the clarisonic, just throw away the cleanser when you get it. It has no redeeming qualities. As for the clarisonic itself, I am liking it so far. I think I see a little improvement in texture and pore size. It hasn't bothered my rosacea at all and my skin looks healthy. And it certainly cleans well. I will write a full review after a month.

One question, do you all think it would be okay to use MD Formulations Glycolic Cleanser with the clarisonic? I don't want to over exfoliate.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:18 am      Reply with quote
the more i use it the bigger my pores seem to be.. but a lot clearer though! i still like it
summerbluz

Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:48 am      Reply with quote
I have been using for a couple of months and think this is a great product.
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:00 am      Reply with quote
As promised, here is my review. I used the Clarisonic for 3 weeks (sensitive brush, once a day, gently, exactly as directed), and have decided to return it. At first, I saw a little improvement in texture and pore size. The results looked like I had just done an at-home mini peel or mask; I saw very similar results to when I had used PSF's pumkin peel, Fresh's rose mask, and those 2-step mini peels like the ones by Oil of Olay and Philosophy. BTW, I did not use any masks or peels during the time I used the Clarisonic because I wanted to be sure any results were just from the Clarisonic. I normally would do a mask OR peel just twice a week.

The improvement never went beyond that initial improvement and after a week, my skin started to look a little worse. And I noticed more broken caps than I had before (I do have sensitive skin and rosacea). Now that I think about it, I would never use those masks/peels every day but maybe that's what I was doing in effect with the Clarisonic.

I still had a few blackheads around the nose and the Clarisonic never helped with that at all. I noticed no diminishing of the few fine lines I have, but then I only used the Clarisonic for 3 weeks.

Finally, the Clarisonic was a hassle to clean the brush head, charge, etc., and using it was not a pampering, pleasant experience. I'll stick with my pretty smelling, twice weekly masks and peels.

P.S., Ignore my earlier advice about throwing away the cleanser. Keep the cleanser so that you can return the product if you do not like it after a month. Wink

Jeannine wrote:
Thanks to all these raves, I got one and have been using it for a week. Like a loon, I hated to JUST throw away the cleanser that came with it, so I used it for 3 days. The stuff is terrible. For all those who have yet to order the clarisonic, just throw away the cleanser when you get it. It has no redeeming qualities. As for the clarisonic itself, I am liking it so far. I think I see a little improvement in texture and pore size. It hasn't bothered my rosacea at all and my skin looks healthy. And it certainly cleans well. I will write a full review after a month.

One question, do you all think it would be okay to use MD Formulations Glycolic Cleanser with the clarisonic? I don't want to over exfoliate.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:46 pm      Reply with quote
I just got my Clarisonic brush last night and have used it three times now. I have very high expectation in this tool given the rave in the forum, and I have to say, it didn't let me down. Although it seems too early to say this, but I really like it and can't wait to share my excitement here. I notice an improvement in my skin tone right after the first use. I hope it can get rid of the stuborn blackheads and bumps with increasing uses. Let's see what happen.
carmenlu
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:52 pm      Reply with quote
Can anyone recommend a cleanser to use with the Clarisonic brush? I didn't bother to try the cleanser that comes with it since everyone says it is terrible. I am now using the DH Cleansing milk which I put aside before. I want something that has more cleaning power and deosn't leave a residue after rinse.
dollbird
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:38 pm      Reply with quote
I use Dermalogica Ultracalming Cleanser with mine. It is a gel that gives good 'slip' to the brush, and doesn't sting when it gets into my eyes, because i like to keep my eyes open while using my brush to properly see where i need to maneuver it. It doesn't leave a residue but is not the most powerful of cleansers. I find that since i'm already getting most of my cleansing from the brush, it is better to use a gentle cleanser as opposed to a super deep-cleansing one, for fear of irritating my skin.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:41 pm      Reply with quote
Wanted to update - used it for over 2 weeks now. Have switched to normal brush head for a few days and for some reason the FEEL of the sensitive for me is a bit coarser though the normal brush head gives more friction. My pores are smaller - it hasn't cleared my congestion though - gotten better but not cleared yet. Hopefully the longer I use it the better it will be. I think it's a good combination with my other acne stuff. I use it w/my Primavera cleanser works very well (I tried it with Bliss' Clog-Dissolving Cleansing Milk for more slip but I hated it. Primavera works nicely. On my makeup days I use it with my Jurlique Foaming Cleanser which also works well. Basically I didn't get any WOW results but I like the slow gradual improvements I seem to be getting, and it does keep my pores clearer than when I'm not using it.
tundratidy

Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:54 am      Reply with quote
Well I have had this brush for over a year now and have to start out with saying I do love it. It has really helped with my texture. However I have sent the unit back 2x for the sonic action not working properly. They have been great, and sent a new unit promptly. My newest one has had the same problem, but I noticed if I pull the brush head off and then put it back on again, then sort of tug it out it will work again. I never used the products they sent, just used my normal stuff. My sister has also sent hers back, but she also really loves the brush results.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:24 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |