Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Strange PayPal question....
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:33 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone else noticed that many of the online retailers that you had previously done business with suddenly no longer accepts payment via PayPal? This has happened to me with numerous places from which I buy frequently so I was wondering if PayPal suddenly changed their rules and now charges a larger fee to utilize their services or the like, which would perhaps cut into a retailers profits or something if they had to pay more fees or whatever to have a business account....

Obviously I’m much aggrieved buy this turn of events because I do a lot of my “business” (i.e.: custom purchases for overseas EDS members) via PayPal, then turnaround and use the funds in my account to buy stuff for me Very Happy as I’m trying very hard to get out of the habit of using credit cards. I’ve been trying to live by the motto: if you can’t pay cash for it, then you don’t need it! And, naturally, I considered PayPal to be the same as cash, so it didn’t count! I’ve been getting buy in this suddenly PayPal-less world by using my Visa Check Card, but I still miss the convenience of buying most things with PayPal like I was able to do in the past.

Has anyone else noticed this trend, too? Any ideas what’s behind it?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:29 am      Reply with quote
I think there are a couple of reasons...

Paypal did raise their fees some but nothing to make it prohibitive. The real problem is the way they deal with disputes. If a buyer files a complaint, they immediately deduct the money from the seller's account. They then proceed to take up to 2 months to sort things out. During that time, do they give the money back to the buyer???? Nope. They just hold on to it.

I've been on both ends of the deal. In one instance, I had purchased an item on eBay from an international seller. I never got it, she stopped responding to my emails, etc. I filed a PayPal claim. They took 6 weeks to resolve it. Finally, they found in my favor, but by then, she had closed her account.

In another instance, I sold a guy something and when it arrived, he claimed it didn't work. I told him to return it. He didn't - instead he filed a dispute on eBay. They deducted the money from my account and conducted a 2 month review. In the end, they decided that if he returned the item, they would refund the money to him. Something I would have done from day one. He finally did return the item, which incidentally worked fine. I resold it for more than he had paid in the first place, but for months, I didn't have the item or the money!

I love to trade on eBay and I don't do it as a business - it just helps me to assuage my guilt. If I buy something extravagant, I feel better about it if I sell something from last season that I got tired of, etc. Even so, this practice drives me crazy. If I were selling to try and make some extra money, or if I was trying to launch a business, it would be a major, major obstacle.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:00 am      Reply with quote
Hi

They have put their fees up. Paypal have also had a lot of negative publicity recently, they've been on a UK consumer programme, "Watchdog" for the last two weeks because if there's ever a problem with a buyer claiming they haven't received something from a seller they automatically refund the money back. A lot of sellers are getting fraudulent claims so are a bit reluctant to offer it now.
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:04 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't noticed etailers no longer taking PayPal. The company bothers me though and I think they deserve some of the bad press.

I used to use my bank account only with PayPal, like you Carrie, I don't want to spend $ I don't have, until last November I paid $50 US to a seller and the package didn't come so I filed a complaint. When all the dust settled, PayPal ruled in my favour and refunded me what the seller had in his account at the time $16 US. This is all I recovered from this seller.

This wouldn't be so bad if PayPal didn't encourage us to use them to take money directly out of our bank accounts and not use our credit card through them. They say we are protected up to $1500 US (I'm not sure of the amount, it's $1000+). We are not protected if the seller has cleaned out their account. I think with all the profit PayPal makes that they should guarantee our purchase and refund us whether the seller has the money or not. This is what the credit card companies do. If I had paid with my credit card through PayPal I could have contested the charge and I would have recovered all of my payment.

So, we are not protected by using PayPal, I will never again use anything but my credit card to purchase online, if a seller only has a personal account with PayPal (no cc accepted) they won't get my business.
/rant

If I am to pay you Carrie I would use my bank account, but I only do this with friends or sellers I've dealt with before and trust.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:19 pm      Reply with quote
I agree - it's terrible the way paypal encourages to use your bank account rather than your credit card. They have your bank account as your default payment and you have to change it EVERY TIME you make a transaction if you want to use a credit card. If you modify your transaction it resets the payment method to your bank account. This can be problematic if you don't keep a lot of cash in your checking account because it can cause your checks to bounce!! Also, if you file a claim that a buyer didn't send the item and they can't prove that you recieved it (through tracking/delivery confirmation) they automatically refund your money. This is good news for buyers but seriously sucks for sellers. So...paypal definitely has it's problems.
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
Okay ladies... I have a stupid question. I have only been using paypal with my CC. never link it to my bank account as I am paranoid about hakers and things like that. So far I havent had to receive funds from anybody. Recently, somebody trasnfer fund to me for shipping cost (under $10). My question is whether this amount would be creditted to my CC or it would just sit in paypal as available balance?
thanks
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:05 pm      Reply with quote
roadtonowhere wrote:
Okay ladies... I have a stupid question. I have only been using paypal with my CC. never link it to my bank account as I am paranoid about hakers and things like that. So far I havent had to receive funds from anybody. Recently, somebody trasnfer fund to me for shipping cost (under $10). My question is whether this amount would be creditted to my CC or it would just sit in paypal as available balance?
thanks

The $10 (minus the fees PP charges to accept that payment) will be in your PayPal account, I don't believe it will have anything at all to do with your credit card.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
lolli: so, in my next paypal purchase, will paypal take it out of the available balance then charge the rest to my CC or .....?
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:28 pm      Reply with quote
roadtonowhere wrote:
lolli: so, in my next paypal purchase, will paypal take it out of the available balance then charge the rest to my CC or .....?

Yes, that's what will happen.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
lolli: thanks for the explanation
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
You are welcome, roadtonowhere. I've been using eBay and PayPal for 5 years this month and it took me a long, long time to figure it out. It can be confusing.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
Want to add that even after 5 years of selling and buying and talking to others I still have to ask about things, plus, they change things often which confuses matters considerably. I read a news group, alt.marketing.online.ebay there's some good info there.

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.marketing.online.ebay?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
You can use the money that was transferred to you for your next purchase or you can have paypal send you a check.
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
I had no idea PayPal would send a cheque! Very cool!

For the future too, you can apply for a PayPal debit card, it costs nothing to use and I can use it here in Canada anywhere they take Mastercard, if I use it to make a purchase, I get a small amount cash back. If I use it at a bank machine though I'm charged a 1 or $2 fee, can't remember how much. Enough though that I make a point to never take my balance out at a bank machine.

You wouldn't need it connected to a bank account but could still access the payment, I believe.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
chimera wrote:
You can use the money that was transferred to you for your next purchase or you can have paypal send you a check.

how do i get paypal to write me a check? I could not find the link.
cheers
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:01 am      Reply with quote
roadtonowhere wrote:
chimera wrote:

how do i get paypal to write me a check? I could not find the link.
cheers
FYI - they charge a $1.50 fee to send you the check.

As for the link, it's located under the "Withdraw" button -- click on it and a page will come up showing various options such as transferring the funds to your bank account (free) or getting a check to you, etc..

Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:37 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |