Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Professional microdermabrasion (revisted)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Bridget
5% products discount

Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:52 am      Reply with quote
A while ago I posted about getting free microderms from an esthetician (friend of a friend) at a spa.

There was some debate over whether it was appropriate to get microderms at a spa vs. dermatologist's. I have to say after doing my research on the spa and checking up on the esthetician's credentials, I feel fully comfortable with it. I guess this has to be a matter of individual preference, though.

I wanted to ask others who have had microdermabrasions what results they experienced, if they were pleased with the results, and how long you saw them "last."

As far as my own treatments, I've had three so far and I am LIKING the results. It's more subtle than I had hoped for, but I have to say my skin is a lot smoother and softer. I touch my cheeks sometimes and am shocked at how soft they feel -- like baby skin! Also, I have acne scars which are becoming less noticeable. Still have three treatments to go and am excited to see my skin improve more.

The only complaint I have is that I'm seeing no effect really on my fine lines (I have some around my eyes). In my research, I read that microderm would improve the fine lines and so far I see no evidence of that.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:57 am      Reply with quote
I have had 7-8 on my face and 3 on my neck and chest and although it does help with softening and smoothing and making skin look brighter, it did not help me with fine lines either, to a very noticable degree. Now, they do have to keep the settings lower for me because of my rosacea so I may not be a good source to judge that on. I do enjoy them because they always follow up with a nice soothing mask. Mine were also given by the easthetician at my med/spa not by the doc himself (he just does the botox/resty) but felt the ladies were very gentle and knowledgable.
Bridget
5% products discount

Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:25 am      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
I have had 7-8 on my face and 3 on my neck and chest and although it does help with softening and smoothing and making skin look brighter, it did not help me with fine lines either, to a very noticable degree.

That's a shame to hear it didn't help with your fine lines, either. I wonder how these websites can go about claiming that microderm does that. Or maybe it just works for some people and not others. I'm fairly young so my lines aren't that bad yet, which I thought gave me a better chance with it helping. Oh well! Rolling Eyes
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:15 am      Reply with quote
It could also be that some people are able to tolerate the higher settings, which is more abrasive, so I would assume removes more, like sandblasting. I have very fine, sensitive, THIN skin, so it would only make my skin worse I believe. I do it just to remove surface dullness and flakiness.
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:36 am      Reply with quote
Micro cannot be done around the eyes as it would be much too harsh for the delicate eye area. The closest they can get is up to the very outside of the orbital bone. Any lines inside this area would have to be treated with a mild exfoliater like Retinol. As far as wrinkles go, they improve over time, but as with any treatments, once they're discontinued, the excess sebum and dead skin cells start to build up again. Once the initial treatments are completed, you need to follow up with treatments every 4 to 6 weeks to "maintain" your new healthy skin.

5% products discount

Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:38 am      Reply with quote
My esthetician certainly doesn't go right up near my eyeballs, but she does cover the crow's feet area that I'm concerned about... and I haven't seen any progress there. I was hoping for results there, but now I'll just settle for the smoother/fresher skin that microderm seems to reveal.

I do wish the procedure was less expensive. I can't afford to go in for "maintenance" once a month at $120 a pop. At best I might be able to do it 3-4 times a year.

At such a price, you kind of wish you would see *dramatic* results. I do feel like the procedure is getting a lot of hype and there are some inflated claims out there.
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:50 am      Reply with quote
I saw "dramatic" results after my initial 7 treatments, and had tons of compliments on my skin. I quit the procedures for a few months but have since gone back to them, as my face had never looked better, than it did after the micros. Now I am just using much better skin care products in between visits, and for the first time in years, I am beginning to really love my skin! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
We got our treatments for 40.00 each if you purchase a package of 6. Also, my med/spa offers a free maintenance micro w/ purchase of botox in the glabellar area (the 11"s) so I have taken them up on that once a year when I have a touch up. I've amassed a few, passed some on as gifts and used some. My aesthetician does not pass over the eye area either, just above the orbitol bone, down the nose, and closer to the temple. She barely touches my crow's feet area because of my sensitive skin. It's always such a strange sensation, sort of like being licked by a cat but allover your face.
hendricks
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
i had five treatments done at my derm's and the results were great but not "dramatic". I also didn't see much change for my forehead fine lines as well as indented acne scarring. I now do it at home with epidermx followed by silkia camellia oil and i can honestly say i am getting dramatic results after a couple of months. The home version is not as deep as the derm's per treatment basis but the cumulative results are fabulous.
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
Isn't that funny! I had the opposite results with Epidermx. I found it very harsh on my skin, and although it smoothed ok, I didn't see any difference in lines or acne scars (I only have three), so thought it might diminish them. I did not re-purchase, and went back to the professional micros. Everybody really does have unique skin, and we just have to do what works best for us I guess. I really wanted the Epidermx to work because it's a much cheaper route to go. Oh well.... Sad Sad

Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:03 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |