Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Tips for less hair breakage and more growth?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 5:21 am      Reply with quote
Anther question. I just searched the WEB and found many MNT products none with ingredients. What can you list the ingredients for the Shapely product?
Thanks.
RMB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 7:47 am      Reply with quote
Just wondering, but is everyone sure they're washing their hair correctly?

When attacking grime, shampoo doesn't make a distinction between A. Just the right amount of natural oil to protect and add luster to your hair and B. Excess oil.

So to strike a good oil balance has a lot to do with your mechanical movements, and not just the products you use.

I only work up a lather at my roots (where my scalp and hair meet). That's where hair is oiliest. And where if you strip away too much "good" oil, the oil will replensh itself quickest. The rest of my hair only gets a slight touch of shampoo - when I shower the lather I've worked up through my hair.

I've found I can enjoy the best of both worlds: Washing my hair everyday and feeling clean. And still maintaining non-dry/brittlely, healthy, shining hair.
mimsy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 9:12 am      Reply with quote
Sharky, the ingredients for the MTG were listed in an earlier post on this thread by wendy@aol.com. The web address was:
http://healthyskin.infopop.cc/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/1990018252/m/7420019114
Ingredients are listed in the next to the last post.
HTH Wink
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 9:23 am      Reply with quote
RMB wrote:
Just wondering, but is everyone sure they're washing their hair correctly?

When attacking grime, shampoo doesn't make a distinction between A. Just the right amount of natural oil to protect and add luster to your hair and B. Excess oil.

So to strike a good oil balance has a lot to do with your mechanical movements, and not just the products you use.

I only work up a lather at my roots (where my scalp and hair meet). That's where hair is oiliest. And where if you strip away too much "good" oil, the oil will replensh itself quickest. The rest of my hair only gets a slight touch of shampoo - when I shower the lather I've worked up through my hair.

I've found I can enjoy the best of both worlds: Washing my hair everyday and feeling clean. And still maintaining non-dry/brittlely, healthy, shining hair.

This is the way I do it as well. It's especially beneficial for girls with long dry hair like me. Smile THen I do the opposite with my conditioner-- more concentrated at the ends. I still rarely wash everyday, though. I go every other day.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 10:46 am      Reply with quote
That mane and Tail product contains petroleum distillates as a first ingredient. It should be said that some people get severe reactions to this (pulmonary edema) so be careful when you use it.

Sulfur and zinc stearate may be what is doing the job?

I remember dandruff treatments when I was young that were petroleum distillates and sulfur very smelly!
mimsy
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 10:51 am      Reply with quote
The petroleum distillates were my first concern also. Cade oil is an abortifacient so I'd be careful.
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
I'm sure it is the sulphur. I would actually like to fnd a way to make my own topical sulphur treatment to avoid that ingredient. There are other things I'd like to replace the MTG oil with anyway that would be better for growth.

I could end up making my own Fast Growth Serum that is safe as well.
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 1:19 pm      Reply with quote
Well I posted the dangers on the original thread with the gals who have been using this for months and months. This was the response:

"We've already emailed Shapley's about it. It's in one of the threads along with their email regarding it. They use a safe petroleum distillate, (there are many different types)."

Noone on that thread reported any problems either.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
Wendy: I'm experimenting with hair serums also so if you find good ingredients and good ingredient sources let me know.
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 8:40 am      Reply with quote
I emailed Shapely's myself with my concerns on the PD. Here is their response:

Good morning, Wendy,

Thank you for your email regarding Original M-T-G. I understand and appreciate your concerns about using any product.

The petroleum distallate that is in Original M-T-G is basically mineral oil which is used in many cosmetics. It is actually safer to the environment than mineral oil which is one of the reasons we use it in our animal application.

We are in the process of getting ready to submit this product (same formula with an added fragrance) for safety testing. I can share that we have had the formula reviewed by a FDA consultant and they have found no problem with using it on humans. It is hard to forecast when it will be available but we are doing our best to get it completed soon.

As for complaints, the ones we have received directly is usually due to an allergic reaction to the sulfur. We have not received many calls with complaints, but have received numerous calls and emails regarding the great results. It is because of this that we are pursuing this market.

I have been following the comments on the different hair care forums and will be happy to share what I have read on those. The biggest complaint that I have read about is the smell! There are also reports of a rash on the neck on some people and that their silver jewelry tarnishes. The latter is a result of sulfur and silver combination and can be cleaned. Some people say they get a tingling effect when they use Original M-T-G. With these comments on the forums, I have no way of knowing whether they are using Original M-T-G alone or mixing it with other products (including essential oils). When mixed, I have no way of determining whether the side effects are from one of the other products or a chemical reaction caused by mixing them. People have been using Original M-T-G for years and have come into contact with it on a daily basis with no issues.

I hope this information helps alleviate some of your concerns.

Best regards,

Cindy S. Carfore
President, Shapley, Ltd.
Well until they come up with something that smells better, I am still on my quest for my own homemade hair growth serum with a pleasant smell. I may even be able to find something that can provide faster growth while at the same time help hair to become healthier. What good is long hair if it is not healthy?
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 8:42 am      Reply with quote
Wendy, do you have the photos to post of your hair growth yet?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 9:19 am      Reply with quote
YEs the title of the thread is NEW Photos of... in this forum.
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 3:43 pm      Reply with quote
I asked a cosmetic Chemist to break down each of the ingredients in MTG. Here is his response:

"It’s interesting that my INCI dictionary lists Sulfur as an antidandruff agent and hair conditioning agent. The cade oil is also listed as a hair conditioning agent so maybe there is something to this formula for hair treatment. The Glycerine is just for water retention. The zinc stearate is a viscosity modifier and the petroleum distillates is probably the carrier (solvent) for all the ingredients."
Trish
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 5:19 am      Reply with quote
I've done tons of stuff with my hair and in the past it's been totally fried but I've been able to color it and bleach and with the proper care i don't really have problems these days.

First of all no more than two things on your hair--bleach and color or color and perm..you get the hint.

Don't wash your hair everyday--you can rinse it everyday and use conditioner but don't use shampoo everyday--use it every other day or every third day best.

Use products like overnight repair system at first if you hair is totally ruined.

Good shampoo and conditioners are Frederick Fekkai and Pantene anti breakage series.

Put tons of hair conditioner and a plastic cap after you wash your hair --cut little holes on the cap and get in the shower--the steam of the shower will make the conditioner penetrate better.

Take vitamins--

Trish

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 7:28 am      Reply with quote
I have dry hair with oily scalp. If I use conditioner that help my dry and breakage prone hair then my scalp will be too oily. What can I use that would help my hair stop falling out, more growth, and do not make my scalp too oily?
angel06
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 7:39 am      Reply with quote
i found inositol so good in keeping my hair grow faster, although i used it for anxiety but it really benefit my hair, makes it grow way faster... Smile
tidieu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 7:41 am      Reply with quote
angel06- is inositol a supplement that you take daily?
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 30, 2006 5:21 am      Reply with quote
angel 06, is the inositol you take for your hair the powder or the tablets?

and how much do you take?

thanks

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 30, 2006 4:15 pm      Reply with quote
I was suffering from hair breakage until i had a good hair trim and stopped using curling/straightening irons. I also use a clay hair mask weekly.
nikkilici0us
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
use a wide comb with wide spaces between the teeth and brush from the bottom to the root - use fortifying creams.... try Ojon hair treatment, and aquage shampoo [ask your hairdresser]
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:26 am      Reply with quote
it's been awhile since this was updated.

Any more good comments about Shapely's MNT?

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
I need my hair to grow too. My hair grows so slow.....
Im also trying to grow my hair colour out. I just want my natural hair colour.
Does anyone know how to get rid of your old hair colour??? Is there any magic potions you can use.......

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
Take supplements (a multivitamin, silica, MSM, etc.), eat a healthy diet, use a boar-bristle brush and only brush your hair once a day, preferably before washing it. Use a gentle, sulfate-free shampoo and suds up only the scalp, rinse thoroughly with warm (not boiling hot) water and use a rich conditioner on the ends. Use a wide-toothed comb to get out the tangles. Try not to blowdry or flatiron, or restrict it to special occasions (heat styling is sooo damanging).

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
Good dry shampoos are available now from Aveda and Frederic Fekkai (I think that's the other brand) and they are available in different colors. I have only tried the Aveda one...worked pretty good.
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
PROTEIN TREATMENTS for hair that breaks. And anything that really moisturizes.

I use Aphogee protein Treatment every 4-6 weeks (get on Amazon)-That is KEY for restoration
Redken All soft shampoo
Redken Water Rush moisturizing cond
Redken leave in Moist Ends
Redken Silk Fuel every other week

In May my hair was falling out and felt like straw-literally. It was AWFUL

Now my hairdresser can't believe how good of shpe it is in now.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:13 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |