Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Shampoo/ Conditioner for Dry, Thick Hair
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, everyone! I decided I need some haircare help. I recently switched from my stand-by (Neutogena Triple Moisture) because it just didn't seem to do the trick anymore, as I've heard can happen. The girl that has cut my hair for years said I should try Paul Mitchell Super Skinny as it would be good for my hair type-- long, very thick, coarse (naturally curly; I blow it out every other day), and DRY. I bought the shamp and conditioner and it's not so great. It makes my hair "skinny" if by "skinny" Paul Mitchell means flat. And making my hair flat is no small feat. It makes my hair feel dull and it doesn't smooth the ends. Really, all I think it's doing is coating my hair with silicones to make it heavy. This is gross, especially since my hair is already heavy.

I've had my run-ins with different products-- Philosophy It's All in your Head (ok, not great), Redken All Soft (the shampoo didn't seem like it cleaned my hair), Infusium (eh). I guess what I really want is a shampoo that cleans without stripping and a conditioner that will smooth even my ends. All the while saturating my hair with moisture. (Now that I think about it, perhaps I'm asking too much!! Shock )

So I'm at loss. I'm sick of buying product after product and having it not work. So, I was wondering if anyone out there knows of good products for my hair type. Color care isn't an issue (I'm highlighted). I'd like to stay away from sodium lauryl sulfate as my hair drys up so easily. I'm open to natural products, if they smell good (my experience is that they're all smelly!), and I'm willing to order something but I'd rather be able to get it at a salon or store. Also, I'd love if it were inexpensive!
Caspers Mum

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:26 am      Reply with quote
I too have thick, naturally curly hair (curls are only at back though!) My hair is slightly dry, but only at the ends. Remember my posts about my Suave conditioner? It's still doing the trick Very Happy

However, here are some products which you may want to consider. As scent is an important issue for me, know that these aren't potently perfumey.

Shampoo: Terax Miele, Pureology Hydrate Shampoo, Kusco Murphy Seriously Hydrating Wash for Dry Hair, L'Oreal Kérastase NUTRITIVE Shampoo.

Conditioners: Terax Crema, Pureology Hydrate Conditioner (leaves the scalp cool & tingly!), Kusco Murphy Heavenly Moist Rinse for Dry Hair and K.M. Intensive Treatment, L'Oreal Kérastase NUTRITIVE.

You should probably use a leave in conditioner too.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:55 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestions-- I think i'll seek out the Purology products first, as I've seen them in the salon store at the mall. I do use a leave-in, but my fav (a tresemme product) was discontinued so I'm on the hunt yet again for something new!

Also, has anyone tried Jonathan products? He sells his stuff on QVC, says it's vegan, SLS free, etc. Is it too good to be true, I'm wondering?
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:17 am      Reply with quote
Try Ojon! It is awesome!!! I'm going today to buy the rest of the line....then I'll do a review. I bought it at sephora (ultra hydrating cond).
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:31 am      Reply with quote
I'm using Super Skinny right now too and am also not overly impressed with the shampoo and conditioner. The serum is fab though, I put it on the ends right before I dry my hair and it really seems to help stop the frizzies. I just ordered some MOP Glisten products from QVC in a moment of weakness (there was a special going on which I just couldn't resist), can't wait to try those now!
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:46 am      Reply with quote
I think our hair sounds really similiar. Also my hair is VERY long and it's heavy naturally! I no longer spend big bucks on hair products unless I KNOW they're fabulous. I think I've tried everything! Surprisingly one of my favorites is from the Suave line. I really like the Professionals Humectant line. I don't consistantly use anything though so I don't know how it would perform over time, if it would quit quickly. It's pretty cheap, but it does contain Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate Sad
I've been seriously thinking about trying some of that Ojon, but I wonder if I would get the same results from just using some pure palm nut oil (the secret of this product). Although I'm not exactly sure where to find some pure palm nut oil...
Caspers Mum

Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
[quote="violetanne"]I do use a leave-in, but my fav (a tresemme product) was discontinued so I'm on the hunt yet again for something new!quote]

A couple of good leave-in's: Terax Original Lotion Hydrate, or Kusco Murphy Dry Leave In.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
Olivia wrote:
Try Ojon! It is awesome!!! I'm going today to buy the rest of the line....then I'll do a review. I bought it at sephora (ultra hydrating cond).

I guess I never considered Ojon because I used a sample of the treatment stuff, and it smelled like peanut butter and didn't seem to do too much to make my hair "better" (though I didn't leave it on too long because of the smell!) Does the shampoo/ cond. have this same smell?
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 05, 2006 4:49 pm      Reply with quote
I just wanted to share what I found on my hunt for a good shampoo and conditioner. I researched Ojon, Jonathan, Kerastase, and a couple others, but found myself unwilling to splurge on these products since I splurged on the Paul Mitchell and it sucked.

I reasearched organic products, and really was interested in the Aubrey products, but there's no retailers around here that sell it.

My grocery store actually has a very nice selection of organic/ natural products-- Avalon, Jason, Nature's Gate, Kiss My Face. I picked up Nature's Gate Persimmon and Rose Geranium moisturizing shamp/ conditioner (after reading about it on MUA, of course), and I love it!

After just using it once, my hair is shiny, smooth (way smoother than Super Skinny made it), and it smells wonderful, my ends aren't crispy (a big pet peeve).

I found that this product lathered better than Super Skinny, even though it has no sulfates. I can still feel the silicones on my hair from the PM, so I will have to clarify tomorrow, but I'm excited about my new find. It wasn't so different in price than some salon products (about $8 a bottle), but works better than some I've tried.

You know, the Pm shampoo isn't bad, but the conditioner is just awful. I think I'll use it as a shaving cream. Waste not, want not!!
raine
5% products discount

Sun May 07, 2006 8:19 am      Reply with quote
TIGI range of shampoo and conditioner is not bad for dry hair..

other than that, if you can get hold of really good hair mask like the one from philips kingsley, it really really help lots!!

i sometimes use hair masks from other brands to act as conditioner.. there are quite a lot of good japanese brand conditioner out there which works really well.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 9:00 am      Reply with quote
I got the MOP Glisten shampoo and conditioner, and have been using it for the last few days - so far, so good! My hair feels soft and silky right to the ends, which always get dry. I'd definitely recommend these.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 9:27 am      Reply with quote
violetanne--- I'm so glad you discovered the Nature's Gate shampoos and conditioners. Aren't they just fabulous?? I totally think they work better than the salon stuff I was shelling out big money for. Right now I use the shampoo/conditioner for color-treated hair that's asian pear and red tea scented, and it is just heavenly! (my hair isn't colored, I just love the way this stuff makes my hair so shiny^_^)

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 9:30 am      Reply with quote
Mmm, of course I just had to google these products after reading that, and they look divine! Some of the skincare products look very interesting too, have you tried any of those?
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't tried any of the Nature's Gate skincare-- I was going to check out the grocery store to see if it carried these too but I haven't had a chance. I know they carry alba and other natural brands.

Manslayerliz, I liked the smell of the asian pear/ red tea too! I read the ingredients, and it was much the same as the formula I bought, but I loved the fruity smell of the persimmon stuff. You're right, these are fabulous haircare products. Unassumingly so, but great! For so long I've been looking for a moisturizing product with a great scent.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
Same as violetanne, I haven't tried any of the skincare products yet, but I've been tempted to after having such good luck with the shampoo and conditioner!

Mon May 08, 2006 12:41 am      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
I just wanted to share what I found on my hunt for a good shampoo and conditioner. I researched Ojon, Jonathan, Kerastase, and a couple others, but found myself unwilling to splurge on these products since I splurged on the Paul Mitchell and it sucked.

I reasearched organic products, and really was interested in the Aubrey products, but there's no retailers around here that sell it.

My grocery store actually has a very nice selection of organic/ natural products-- Avalon, Jason, Nature's Gate, Kiss My Face. I picked up Nature's Gate Persimmon and Rose Geranium moisturizing shamp/ conditioner (after reading about it on MUA, of course), and I love it!

After just using it once, my hair is shiny, smooth (way smoother than Super Skinny made it), and it smells wonderful, my ends aren't crispy (a big pet peeve).

I found that this product lathered better than Super Skinny, even though it has no sulfates. I can still feel the silicones on my hair from the PM, so I will have to clarify tomorrow, but I'm excited about my new find. It wasn't so different in price than some salon products (about $8 a bottle), but works better than some I've tried.

You know, the Pm shampoo isn't bad, but the conditioner is just awful. I think I'll use it as a shaving cream. Waste not, want not!!

Uh ... no kidding you've researched other lines, and have found that P.M. sucks. P.M. is a very basic haircare line, and if you've wasted your money on this line, hoping for results ... sorry, but I am not sympathetic
Neutral

The other, more expensive lines, have been sugggested to you, and also have been voted as effective by other consumers, via magazine votes or otherwise. Statistics do not lie!

At the very least, I advise that you try the Pureology Hydrating Conditioner. It is well worth it's money. Organic, conscious, and ... expensive.

Syr
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
My hair are thin not thick, but always dry and devitalized. I absolutely love Sebastian Xtah Hydrating shampoo. The travel size is ideal to try it. There is a conditioner of the same line which I dont use but that should be good for you to add.

Its not all natural but its fantastic and the scent is wonderful too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
I have naturally thich and wavy hair that is dry due to me highliting my hair. I like the K-pak line for dry hair. It's shampoo and conditioner smells yummy too like coconut, as if your on some tropical getaway hehe. Also Biosilk serum is great for after you get out of the shower, you can put it on damp or dry hair to give your hair shine, and take away any frizzy's. It is lightweight and wont de-volumize your hair either.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
Caspers Mum wrote:
violetanne wrote:

Uh ... no kidding you've researched other lines, and have found that P.M. sucks. P.M. is a very basic haircare line, and if you've wasted your money on this line, hoping for results ... sorry, but I am not sympathetic
Neutral

The other, more expensive lines, have been sugggested to you, and also have been voted as effective by other consumers, via magazine votes or otherwise. Statistics do not lie!

At the very least, I advise that you try the Pureology Hydrating Conditioner. It is well worth it's money. Organic, conscious, and ... expensive.

Well, the Paul Mitchell I considered a splurge because I believe $11 for a bottle of conditioner to be expensive. Futhermore, I wasn't looking for sympathy, I was just talking about shampoo.

I found something that works, and is reasonably priced. I like to pinch my pennies. Sorry? Question
Syr
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 5:07 pm      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:

Well, the Paul Mitchell I considered a splurge because I believe $11 for a bottle of conditioner to be expensive. Futhermore, I wasn't looking for sympathy, I was just talking about shampoo.

Uhm its really hard to find a good hydrating shampoo under $10... the travel size of the one I suggested you costs $6.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
Don't feel too bad violetanne--- I think that $11 is a lot for conditioner too! Thank goodness for Nature's Gate, right?^-^

Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:41 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |