Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Aveda Rosemary Mint - yikes!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
I recently returned from a long weekend in Arizona where the resort (also hosting a spa) used Aveda products. Wanting to keep my suitcase as light has possible, I decided to take a leap of faith and rely on the shampoo and conditioner provided in the room. It was Aveda's Rosemary Mint shampoo and conditioner.

Let me make the following disclaimers - the air is very dry in Arizona and my skin was drier than I've ever seen it (first time I ever had a matte T-zone!)- but this stuff dried my hair to a straw-like consistency. My boyfriend said it felt like a horse's tail. I couldn't get a brush through the back of my hair without his help. I had no choice but to wash daily because of the chlorinated pool water, but jeepers creepers! Thank goodness for my holy grail of hair clips.

P.S. - I have oily hair, too.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hi LandB - My husband always brings little bottles of this home with him from trips. I've never used it because I can't STAND the smell. Now that you've said it dried out your hair, I never will! No wonder he can turn around and use Aveda Confixor liquid gel afterwards -- it's THE stickiest stuff and gunks up our bathroom. But maybe he needs it to offset the shampoo.

I DO love the smell of their little soaps though -- lemon and sage, I think. Did you have any of those in your room? I've even bought large bars of it -- such a nice, fresh fragrance.
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
I love the smell of this shampoo but it was just so drying. My brother-in-law brought back tons of little bottles from his business trip Sad

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:32 am      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:
I DO love the smell of their little soaps though -- lemon and sage, I think. Did you have any of those in your room? I've even bought large bars of it -- such a nice, fresh fragrance.

They did have Aveda facial and bath bars... didn't detect a strong smell of lemon and sage but it was a nice clean smell. I think they were glycerine (sp?) soaps. I tried the facial bar once and wasn't horrified, but after the shampoo/conditioner tragedy, I reverted back to the little bottle of cetaphil that I brought. The bath soap was decent and not overly drying.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:17 am      Reply with quote
I've never been able to get on with Aveda shampoos either, but their energising body wash is lovely, very fresh and minty scent.
BBD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:09 am      Reply with quote
I never had good luck with their stuff either. I think ABBA haircare products are similar in concept but much better in execution. I love the creme moist shampoo and the moisture scensation conditioner. They are everything that the Aveda should be, but aren't.
lin23
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:19 am      Reply with quote
I've been in a spa recently where they used Aveda products only and my skin couldn't really handle the treatment (was full of nasty whiteheads afterwards, and the "gentle" peeling irritated my normally not so fussy skin ). On the top, I just couldn't stand the minty smell so I had to rely on my own shampoo and shower/bath-products from home... So I'm not so kean on Aveda anymore
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:12 pm      Reply with quote
Ack! That sounds awful...thanks for the warning.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:05 am      Reply with quote
I actually love that minty smell, especially the energizing body wash which is so refreshing. There's also a rosemary mint body wash which is nice too, but I find it a little more drying. The scent is pretty strong though, I think you either love it or hate it. They do cute little bottles (50 ml I think) you can buy to try the products out though before purchasing the full size (and I've always found them to be very generous with free samples too!).
shanno
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:43 pm      Reply with quote
This very much tracks with my Aveda hair care product experiences--I want to like them but I never seem to. Sad
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
i have normal hair, and i love aveda rosemary mint shampoo. it leaves my scalp feeling minty, just like nioxin, except that it does not give me acnes alng my hairline.
roadbee
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
I have the rosemary mint shampoo in a cupboard somewhere. The pick-me-up smell appealed to me but its performance didn't do anything. It's been so long I can't remember why I stopped using it.
laeticia
5% products discount

Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:46 pm      Reply with quote
when i stayed in a backpackers while i was in aust we were given small bottles of the rosemary mint shampoo and conditioner, as i was travelling light i used it and it dried out my hair, the other girls i lived with had similar experiences as well
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:32 am      Reply with quote
When I was in Las Vegas some years back I was so glad to come away from that dry air, it was great for my face, for the first time...no oily skin!!
Bad for everywhere else, I had to rashen showers as the water really dried my skin out and a bath was out of the question! I remember being a right grumpy sod on the plane home due to having a chapped bottom Laughing
I would recomend try the Aveda shampoo in a non Arizona envirnment Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:36 am      Reply with quote
The only time I have used this shampoo and conditioner was also when I was staying in a hotel and the whole range of Aveda Rosemary Mint products was in the bathroom. Aveda must be really pushing this stuff to hotels!

I really liked the fragrance and the shampoo/conditioner were fine for my hair. Then again it was in Singapore with about 95% humidity, a bit different from Arizona I imagine Smile
annachan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:52 am      Reply with quote
I like the shampure range from Aveda(conditioner and shampoo)smells yum and is gentle on my fine dry curly hair......
MAC8
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:58 am      Reply with quote
LandB, thanks for this post - it really got me thinking about the issue of relative humidity. Last evening, I looked up the relative humidity where I live (Northern California), and was shocked to see it was 16%. For comparison purposes, the relative humidity in Las Vegas at the same time was 15%, and 13% in Death Valley ("the driest spot in North America"). Meanwhile, the relative humidity in a couple of East Coast spots I looked at was in the mid to high 60% range.

Anyway, this certainly explains my constant search for ways to put more moisture in my hair. I am now looking up plants that grow in Death Valley, so I can try to figure out ways to incorporate them into my hair and skin care Laughing .

I just looked up the weather. Apparently we are having a "humidity wave" Very Happy today due to a shift in the weather pattern. We are up to 53%, vs. 43% in Las Vegas and 47% in Death Valley.
Agave
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:00 am      Reply with quote
Hmm... now I'm happy I never bought this Shock

I happen to use and LOVE the Pure Abundance shampoo and conditioner (as does my mother,) but, yeah, Aveda's products are often hit or miss Smile

Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
Wow! I had the same exact experience but I thought I just had wacky hair! I was wanting to try this shampoo and conditioner for the longest time because I heard so many good things about it and I really love minty hair products. We were staying at a Ski resort B&B in Colorado(note...plenty of moisture). I was so excited to see our room stocked with Aveda. I asked for some extras because I was sure I would love it and they gave me a bunch...mint rosemary shampoo conditioner, lotion, body wash, and a bar of soap. The only thing I liked was the bar of soap. The lotion and body wash were okay but nothing special and the shampoo and conditioner turned my hair to straw like no other shampoo ever has! I actually took the stuff home to NM and tried it a few more times just to be sure and always got the same horrible dry hair. At least there are other minty (cheaper and much better) products out there so I'm not too disappointed.
sassy180
5% products discount

Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:34 am      Reply with quote
I never really liked any of the Aveda hair care line. I do add a few drops of rosemary essential oil to my regular shampoo and I love it.
sissyp
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
I have always loved the concept of Aveda and have tried many of their products. I was really hoping to love their skin care but found it too harsh on my skin; always had a reaction. I have however had good experiences with the color conserve shampoo and conditioner and I do like the Caribbean cody cream. I tried the rosemary/mint shampoo and conditioner while living in the Caribbean and liked the cooling sensation with the hot weather but it was not conditioning enough for my sand and sea dried hair.
Agent OO-CAT
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
I have used the Rosemary and Mint shampoo for years and loved it. My guy friends always commented that my hair smelt lovely and was so soft. I use the Voluminizing shampoo now and like it too. I haven't been complimented as much...but then again, I have fewer guy friends now...
teatea
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
the aveda mint shampoo makes my scalp burn!!!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:36 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |