Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
variations on DIY vitC serum?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
jemstar
5% products discount

Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
Hi-Just wondering if anyone out there has made the vitC serum without propylene gylcol or glycerin? Since I can't seem to find PG here and glycerin is just too sticky, I just mixed a pinch of the vitC crystals with some grapeseed oil and the next day, I noticed an improvement in my skin. However, the 3rd day, there seems to be no effect and my pores seemed stretched out. Would the serum with PC maintain the effect of the first day?

Just curious ^^
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:53 am      Reply with quote
Hi jemstar,

Did you mix the Vitamin C crystals with water and then add the oil?

If you can't find PG [did you check with your local pharmacist? That's where I got mine here in Canada.] and you don't want to use glycerine ... why not just use water?

Vitamin C serum made just with water is fine, although it will only last a couple of weeks.

The other option, that I read in one of the many Vitamin C threads on this board, is to use KY as your mix ... since it's bascially water and PG. Do a search on Vitamin C on these boards or on KY and you should be able to find the right product to purchase.

Water and oil don't mix ... whereas PG and water do mix ... as does glycerine and water. I guess I just don't see the value in substituting grape seed oil for PG ... and I don't know if the oil interferes with the active at all.

That said, I do put Vitamin E and Lecithin with my Vitamin C serum ... but it's necessary that I shake it vigorously prior to each use because the lecithin isn't enough of an emulsifier to blend the Vitamin E with the water/PG portion.

HTH

Mary

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:59 am      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:
Hi jemstar,

Did you mix the Vitamin C crystals with water and then add the oil?

If you can't find PG [did you check with your local pharmacist? That's where I got mine here in Canada.] and you don't want to use glycerine ... why not just use water?

Vitamin C serum made just with water is fine, although it will only last a couple of weeks.

The other option, that I read in one of the many Vitamin C threads on this board, is to use KY as your mix ... since it's bascially water and PG. Do a search on Vitamin C on these boards or on KY and you should be able to find the right product to purchase.

Water and oil don't mix ... whereas PG and water do mix ... as does glycerine and water. I guess I just don't see the value in substituting grape seed oil for PG ... and I don't know if the oil interferes with the active at all.

That said, I do put Vitamin E and Lecithin with my Vitamin C serum ... but it's necessary that I shake it vigorously prior to each use because the lecithin isn't enough of an emulsifier to blend the Vitamin E with the water/PG portion.

HTH

Mary

Wow, this can get a little confusing....I've read that to not use water only as it immediately begins to degrade, that is unless you use it right way, and make it fresh every time you use it.

Also, Mary, how much Vit. E. do you use to make yours, and can you use it alone in the C serum without the Lecithin?
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Gayle,

Well ... yes, Vitamin C degrades fairly quickly. Indeed, the moment you pick an orange from a tree, the Vitamin C within it begins to degrade.

However, it's not an instantaneous degradation.

Certainly the less water you have in the serum, the longer it will last ... however, you do need water with l-ascorbic acid for it to dissolve.

If you doubt the integrity of your serum, you can do a little "in home" experiment. [I got this from another thread or forum ... can't recall which.]

Take an apple and cut it in half. Use a drop or two of your Vitamin C serum and coat half of the exposed flesh. Now ... leave both halves exposed to the air. If your Vitamin C is still "effective" ... the half that's coated with it will stay white ... while the other side will turn brown.

I tried this and left the apple halves for a couple of days. The coated side was just starting to turn brown at the edges ... and this is with the serum exposed to open air.

As for the Vitamin E ... I use the contents of one capsule [400 IU of Vitamin E]. I suppose you could leave out the lecithin ... I just included it because it's an emulsifier ... and even those it isn't enough to emulsify, I continue to put it in. Laughing

Mary

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
I'm about to make mine with Aloe Vera Gel as an alternative. I'll let you know how I like it.
jemstar
5% products discount

Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:26 am      Reply with quote
hi hpjrt,

thanks for your suggestions, I got out the ol bottle of glycerin (10%) and mixed it with some evian spray (80) and added the vitC crystals (10%) in a small 10ml dark bottle. The crystals melted with a few shakes and then I applied and voila- the same skin effect of the first day that i used it- Yah!

I should try it with vitE though. Also, here, there is a vit c serum that has gotten great reviews with chitosan (crab/prawn shells)... hmmm there must be an utimate formula out there....
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:40 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |