Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dry skin vs. sensitive skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
alice~in~wonderland
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:47 pm      Reply with quote
I'm a little unclear of the difference.

I've been told I have sensitive skin particularly since the area around my nose (and part of my cheeks around my nose) gets so dry after I wash my face. I've been using Thalgo for sensitive skin (wash, tone and moisterisor) and quite like it. So far, it's had a good effect on my skin, but I'm hoping to expand my options.

Any suggestions for products to try?
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
Sensitive skin can be either dry or oily. While I have sensitive oily skin, it still gets dehydrated and I'll get dry flakes.

I would try DHCC. It's very effective and does not dry out my skin like some cleansers can. I really don't like it when I have that tight, itchy, stripped feeling after cleansing. DHCC doesn't do this at all.

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:57 am      Reply with quote
I have skin like that-- it gets particularly dry right around my nose (the oiliest part of my face). I don't so much have product suggestions, but I can say don't try too many different sort of products (especially if you're sensitive), as you want to regulate your skin, not confuse it. Get into a good regime (which it sounds like you have), balanced out by exfoliation and a hydrating mask a couple times a week. Find the right thing for you, then stick with it!
alice~in~wonderland
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:
I have skin like that-- it gets particularly dry right around my nose (the oiliest part of my face). I don't so much have product suggestions, but I can say don't try too many different sort of products (especially if you're sensitive), as you want to regulate your skin, not confuse it. Get into a good regime (which it sounds like you have), balanced out by exfoliation and a hydrating mask a couple times a week. Find the right thing for you, then stick with it!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one Smile Out of curiousity, what do you use?
natsumi
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
ulana wrote:
the area around my nose (and part of my cheeks around my nose) gets so dry after I wash my face.

That's exactly the same area where I get dryness and little bumps from sensitivity. I've been using squalane oil which has helped with the dryness, and a little bit with the bumps. Also, I had been using a DDF foaming cleanser before but was told by my derm that foaming cleansers are too harsh for sensitive skin. He suggested Dermalogica's Ultracalming Cleanser which I've been using for about 10 months and love!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:59 am      Reply with quote
I've got dry-normal skin which is also a little oily on the nose but I'm sensitive to moisturisers, cleansers and most sunscreens Confused The sensitivities will show up as little flesh-colored bumps, or red pimple-like bumps or red/scaly patches. Lovely, huh? Once the outbreak is under control, the once-red areas will generally be drier than the normal areas and be flaky.

Ulana, it sounds to me that you've just got dry skin and your nose/cheeks are not really sensitive. Maybe the Thalgo is drying and you need a heavier moisturiser. Dr. Hauschka is a good line to try, and the PSF line is well-regarded. I'm still waiting for my PSF order so can't give my opinion yet. HTH. Smile
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
i like the dermalogica line for sensitive skin. Their gentle soothing booster is awesome!! If you have sensitive skin that is prone to be red and blotchy, this stuff is great for you
alice~in~wonderland
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
great! Thanks for the input. Time to expand my selection Smile
natsumi
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
Stardust - do you use anything to keep the outbreaks in check? A makeup artist suggested emu oil so I might try that. It's supposed to help with skin irritations.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 9:15 am      Reply with quote
ulana wrote:
[

Glad to hear I'm not the only one Smile Out of curiousity, what do you use?

I'm also acne-prone so I use Proactiv. The toner is my saving grace-- keeps the benzoyl peroxide from drying me out. Before I used it, my skin was awful. Pimples and flaky patches. It really balanced my skin out. It's what works for me.

I also use DHC Cleansing oil at night to take of makeup and right now for a day moisturizer I'm using Dove lotion for Sensitive Skin.
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 11:15 am      Reply with quote
natsumi wrote:
Stardust - do you use anything to keep the outbreaks in check? A makeup artist suggested emu oil so I might try that. It's supposed to help with skin irritations.

For me, the best thing is avoidance and sticking to a few tried and true products. Needless to say I fall off the wagon a lot, especially after reading the rave reviews here. Laughing, forgetting that not everyone has sensitive/allergic skin. Sad

I haven't tried emu oil but I have been experimenting with rosehip oil. I like it but I've been getting a few clogged pores along the jawline so I'm going to take a break and see if they go away. Other to-try items are PSF and Mir products.
jn1234
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 9:57 pm      Reply with quote
I totally agree with stardust. I have very sensitive skin. In the past, I got a lot of friendly opinion from friends but as stardust said, not everyone has sensitive/allergic skin. Good for one doesn't mean good for all. I stick to 1-2 brands and use the same products for more than 5 years. A lot of people/magazines say, "you must try different products so that your skin can absorb different ingredients and can be more beautiful". As a person who has sensitive, I only want healthy skin!!!! I don’t want to take any risk on my skin anymore.
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
jn1234 wrote:
I totally agree with stardust. I have very sensitive skin. In the past, I got a lot of friendly opinion from friends but as stardust said, not everyone has sensitive/allergic skin. Good for one doesn't mean good for all. I stick to 1-2 brands and use the same products for more than 5 years. A lot of people/magazines say, "you must try different products so that your skin can absorb different ingredients and can be more beautiful". As a person who has sensitive, I only want healthy skin!!!! I don’t want to take any risk on my skin anymore.

jn1234 - what brands and products have you found that work for you? I'm still looking for a good cleanser and exfoliator that work, yet don't irritate. Do these products even exist? Brick wall
Safire
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 03, 2006 6:04 am      Reply with quote
I have sensitive, combination-dry skin & I have been using Avene products for a few weeks now & I think it's quite good & definitely worth a try. Their products are designed specifically for all the various sensitive skin types i.e. oily, acne-prone, dry, mature, normal/combination....apart from that I've been using some Dr H & Decleor products as well.
jn1234
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:58 am      Reply with quote
[quote="stardust"][quote="jn1234"]I totally agree with stardust. I have very sensitive skin. In the past, I got a lot of friendly opinion from friends but as stardust said, not everyone has sensitive/allergic skin. Good for one doesn't mean good for all. I stick to 1-2 brands and use the same products for more than 5 years. A lot of people/magazines say, "you must try different products so that your skin can absorb different ingredients and can be more beautiful". As a person who has sensitive, I only want healthy skin!!!! I don’t want to take any risk on my skin anymore.[/quote]

jn1234 - what brands and products have you found that work for you? I'm still looking for a good cleanser and exfoliator that work, yet don't irritate. Do these products even exist? Brick wall[/quote]

Hi stardust,
I hope I could see our reply earlier. I didn't realize until today!

When my skin was very worse, I saw a few doctors. When one didn't work (or said he/she could help), I shifted to another immediately. The last one (which definitely helps!)recommended me to use DDF products including DDF Blemish Foaming Cleanser. DDF Ultra-lite oil-free moisturizing dew and DDF Matte Finsih photo-age protection. They all work very well.

I did try a few other DDF products. Some of them work well such as the tonic while some (especially the masks) make my skin itchy. I like the boosters of dermalogica which make my skin soft and smooth in the winter time!
mixCD
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:08 pm      Reply with quote
i somewhat have dry skin..

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:50 am      Reply with quote
I find the whole labelling thing confusing. I think i actually have combination skin but sometimes it's sensitive as well. I think it depends on the products I use. If they are too rich I find my skin gets very oily on the T-zone and if it is too drying I feel like my face will crack.

Juliette
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:58 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |