Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

URGENT advice needed re: IPL for spider veins
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Everyone,
Today I went in for a consultation to get my spider veins removed on my face (mostly around my nose and mouth), and of course they want me to pay immediately, before the treatment has been done. I was not expecting this, and so before I go ahead and drop $300 for this, I was wondering if ANYONE out there would be able to make me feel a little more comfortable about what I'm getting into.
I have never had any kind of treatment like this done, and my skin is otherwise perfect--normal, not sensitive, no visible sun damage, no acne scarring, just some very fine lines and these darn spider veins that I have had my entire life. I am 30 years old and I am sick and tired of putting concealer on them, and I heard on this site that IPL was the safest, most effective way to get rid of them.
So, the place where I am going is called "Pure," and they are based in Toronto--anyone had any experiences, positive or negative with them?
The laser they are using is a "Palomar" apparently state-of-the-art laser, and they agreed to do the area around my nose and out toward my cheeks (not the entire face) in two sessions for $300.
I would be thrilled to have any input regarding the following:
--will the texture of my face be different on the lasered areas?
--how long will redness last?
--how rare is it that people get badly burned/scarred, and what skintypes are more likely to react adversely?
--anyone have a bad experience with this procedure?
--would i be in better hands, financially and/or medically, at a dermatologist's clinic?

I am really scared of scarring and burning or hyperpigmentation, since my skin is not mature and doesn't need photorejuvenation to begin with--but that is what this procedure is, or so I'm under the impression. I'm mostly asking anyone and everyone in lieu of getting a 2nd opinion, since there really isn't time to do so!

Best,
avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:30 am      Reply with quote
I had IPL treatment for for facial spider veins. The veins that were treated are gone, but new spider veins popped up near where the old ones were within a month! After it happened, I complained to my dermatologist about it. She said it was normal (no mention of this before I had the treatment!) but offered to repeat the treatment at no cost since I was displeased. The same thing happened again. The new ones (faint red lines) are not as bad as the old ones (blue thicker lines as I'd had them for 15 years), but I am still disappointed with the results.

Bottom line is that I would do it again to treat prominant blue spider veins, but I would tell the derm to leave the little red spider veins alone (what's the point since they will only be replaced).

Also, it hurts, especially around the nose! Take some ibuprofin or other painkiller beforehand. Your skin may feel raw a week later (mine looked good for 36 hours and then freaked out for 3 days) and may be red and irritated. Use gentle stuff like jojoba or coconut oil and avoid irritating products like retinols.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:15 am      Reply with quote
After having 4 Ipl's and a Yag laser for just the spiders on my nose and several target areas (so has my hubby), although costly to some, I think it is worth it. I had had it done at my med/spa and derm and the med/spa did a much better job because they do an extreme high volume of cosmetic IPL's, but that's just in my case. You could try to check them out if you have like a Better Business Bureau or google them to see if there are any reviews out there. Also, ask how many the tech has done as far as experience.
Yes, they can grow back and that is why I do a yearly maintenance IPL to maintain if you have a lot of them.
I have always had redness and bruising (Which is very common) from the burst vessels. Not always allover, but in a few places, which fades in a few days-to a week. That depends on your reaction to bruising, my hubby does not. It also depends on skin thickness. I know lots of people who have had this done but I don't know of anyone being burned or scarred personally. My derm burned me a little in one spot but it was minor and peeled right off. He felt worse than I did, I wasn't even aware it happened.
It is a little painful, but not once it is over. It is like being snapped with a rubberband. I took ibuprofin.
If the veins bother you, then go for it.
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:12 am      Reply with quote
Hi!
Well, I am still SO apprehensive about this, and I just realized that there are a host of other posts asking the same kinds of questions--so I am glad that I am not the only one! I just talked to the woman with whom I had a consultation, and they will do a test on my cheek before I actually go in for the trestment. Apprently they will need to use a more powerful laser for the area around my nose, which might cause a bit of scabbing--but they said that even this could be covered by makeup--is that true? I just really don't want anyone to know that I am doing this (I'm not telling anyone)! I am in a doctoral program, and will be having my exams soon, and do NOT want a panel of academics to think that I am THAT vain to have a laser treatment done to my face... I AM that vain, but it is really more of a practical solution to a problem I have dealt with my entire life... and it is relatively affordable.
So my new question is: will people around me know that I went in for a treatment? Or will I have to make myself scarce for an entire week afterwards? I am just 30 years old and have otherwise perfect skin, and I really don't want to ruin it! I have a pic on MUA if anyone is interested to see what my skin looks like--it was taken in a cab a few months ago.
Thanks!

avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
It's good that they will do a test treatment. My hubby does it on a Fri. afternoon and works on Monday, no problems redness gone. It takes me about 3-4 days and I can cover the bruises (Burst blood vessels-very normal) w/ makeup. I've gone out the next day w/ friends to dinner and it bothered me more than them. They claimed they did not even notice.
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 4:43 am      Reply with quote
Everyone's skin reacts differently, so it's hard to say how noticeable the side effects will be for you. For me, my nose got pretty red and sore looking (I have rosacea and sensitive skin so no surprise), but my red scaly nose looked like it could have been from a really bad cold or allergy attack. Sneeze a couple of times and let their imaginations assume you're recovering from allergies... No need to say anything or explain.

BTW, it was bad for 3 days then completely cleared up in a week.

avalange wrote:
Hi!
Well, I am still SO apprehensive about this, and I just realized that there are a host of other posts asking the same kinds of questions--so I am glad that I am not the only one! I just talked to the woman with whom I had a consultation, and they will do a test on my cheek before I actually go in for the trestment. Apprently they will need to use a more powerful laser for the area around my nose, which might cause a bit of scabbing--but they said that even this could be covered by makeup--is that true? I just really don't want anyone to know that I am doing this (I'm not telling anyone)! I am in a doctoral program, and will be having my exams soon, and do NOT want a panel of academics to think that I am THAT vain to have a laser treatment done to my face... I AM that vain, but it is really more of a practical solution to a problem I have dealt with my entire life... and it is relatively affordable.
So my new question is: will people around me know that I went in for a treatment? Or will I have to make myself scarce for an entire week afterwards? I am just 30 years old and have otherwise perfect skin, and I really don't want to ruin it! I have a pic on MUA if anyone is interested to see what my skin looks like--it was taken in a cab a few months ago.
Thanks!

avalange

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 7:57 am      Reply with quote
I've only had IPL done on my face once. It cost 500 dollars for a tiny red dot about the size of a small pimple about an inch under my eye. I would look up close and see it faintly starting to spread and freaked out. I only needed two treatments but after the first one it was almost totally gone, I couldn't even see it anymore. The $500 was for three treatments and I only had two but she said if it came back she would do one for free. It hasn't yet, knock on wood, but its been about two years. I was barely red in that area and it hardly hurt. It felt like someone was hitting you with rubber bands for a few seconds and thats it. It always startled me more than it hurt. If I got another one on my face I would do it again, before it gets big of course because the darn thing costs more the bigger it is.
Elfie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 11:32 am      Reply with quote
I just had laser done on my face last Monday. I looked like ground beef for about 3 days, day 4 things were starting to fade. As of today I have some bruising still, but I can see a definate improvement. I did agree to very agressive tx just to get it over with, not sure I'd do it again that aggressively. The laser itself wasn't that painful, but closer to the eye you see the light before the pain and pretty soon you start feeling the pain before it's even there, sort of a Pavlov dog thing. I was given a serum of vitamins C and K, green tea and aloe and it has definately soothed the area. I had a Candela Laser V-Beam and it was $150 to walk in the door and $1.00 a pulse. They did 200 pulses the first time. I did get a 20% discount since I work there. By the way this was done in a Cosmetic Surgery office and this was done for tx of both spider veins and rosacea-something about the laser inhibits flushing. So far so good.
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 01, 2006 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
Everything I've ever read says V-beam is the best laser for redness/broken veins. I've never heard of the laser you mentioned.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 5:00 am      Reply with quote
I had some spider veins zapped with a Candela laser several years ago in London and although it was quite effective the bruising was horrendous. I looked like a train wreck for at least 10 days afterwards. I hear that the newer lasers like v-beam are less likely to cause such extreme bruising as the older ones though, am thinking about getting some more done. Will make sure I have some time off work planned though just in case!
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 03, 2006 10:20 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Annie R, Jeannine, Razinkane, Elfie, and fifi for your input--I really appreciate it. I had the test spots done today, and while they targeted a small spider vein on the side of my face, I see no redness and the vein is still there... perhaps it will fade with time, we shall see.
I went to another place to get a second opinion, but she does not do "spot-treatments" and tried to sell me a $3,000 package (5 full-face/neck/decolletage and jan marini products, etc), when the first place (Pure laser) I went gave me a "student-discount" (she is a mom with a college-age daughter, and very humane) for $300 for a series of three treatments around my nose and cheek area. I am very pleased with the level of service, professionalism, and understanding at Pure laser. Especially since this is not a permanent fix to the problem, which I accept--I would like to develop a relationship with someone for this issue, especially since it has so many other benefits (anti-aging, collagen stimulation, etc).
Well, I am not exactly sure if I am the best candidate for this, since I have Type III skin (it works best on pale skin), but I am willing to try it out for the price.
So far, just a slight bruise on my neck that looks rather like a hickey! I am very excited and will keep you posted--Pure Laser has the palomar "rejuve-lux" ipl machine, which, the second doctor conceded, is really state-of-the-art. I purchased PSF's 02 serum and ala complex for maintenance and recovery and will let you all know how the process goes!
avalange

fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 12:11 am      Reply with quote
Well, if I was in your area I would definitely be spending some time at Pure Laser, it sounds like a real gem!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:29 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |