Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Chick-lit recs
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 12:08 am      Reply with quote
I'm looking for recs for light readings, particularly chick-lits. The last, most recent ones I read were those by Sophie Kinsella (her shopaholic series -although I HATE that she makes shopalholism to be synonymous with obsessive-compulsive lying Rolling Eyes )

Anyways - having to read academic journals and books for work and grad school is enough. You got anything easy and interesting for me to read?

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
maddy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 1:17 am      Reply with quote
There are many...Trying to remember them is the hard bit.

Have you read the Bridget Jones books? they are my favourite. The way she thinks to hereself is just like I do. And I am sure like all women. also have recently read The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffeneger (possibly- unsure of author as have lent book to friend). Not strictly chick lit but an amazing love story.

Have also found website, "www.whatshouldireadnext.com". Worth a look- just type in the name of a book you liked and it comes up with others that you mightr enjoy, based on the reading lists of other people.

Good luck and I hope you find some fantastic reading material.

x
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 2:59 am      Reply with quote
I tend to totally devour books (ie. start it, like it and dont go to bed till finished) so I dont go out buying them TOO often...but here are some I have read recently:

They are all really light reading (OK, except the last on the list that had me balling my eyes out at one part).. happy endings (though in some cases kind of weak and predictable), but all in all a decent read.

I have also put them in the order that I liked them.

Be Careful What you Wish For: Alexandra Potter
Other People's Marriages: Shane Watson
Everyone Worth Knowing: Lauren Weisberger
In Her Shoes: Jennifer Weiner
Left Bank: Kate Muir
Mrs. Kimble: Jennifer Haigh (twice read)
Chocolat: Joanne Harris (twice read)
Plantation: Dorothea Benton Frank (twice read, balled both times Embarassed )

I would also recomment reading the book Le Divorce. The movie did NOT do that book justice! I forget the name of the lady who wrote it, but she has also written Le Marriage and L'Affair, which are both on my Amazon wish list!!

I would also go with the Bridgette books, but dont read her in bed if the person beside you is sleeping (too much Laughing )... the book of Forest Gump was SIDE SPLITTING funny (absolutely HATED the movie though).. and of course if you have not read Harry Potter (whilst not chick lit) then you must. I have read each of them about 6 times too (when I run out of new books I keep going back to them.. plus since I know the story, I can limit my reading to just 20-30 mins Laughing )

Happy reading!!
natsumi
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 8:40 am      Reply with quote
I The Time Traveller's Wife. I've read it 3-4 times and cried every time. I read that Brad Pitt holds the movie rights to it, so I'm hoping that it does get made into a film. While not chick-lit, Running with Scissors (Augusten Burroughs) made me laugh a lot so it might be good for de-stressing.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 9:30 am      Reply with quote
I would look for anything by Jane Green or Jennifer Weiner--they're my two favorites.

There's actually a publishing company called Red Dress Ink that publishes just chick lit. Don't know if this link will work, but you can search "red dress ink" in Amazon and find a whole bunch of recommendations:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=pd_kk_sr_1/002-5513100-8996006?index=stripbooks&field-keywords=red%20dress%20ink

If you like historical fiction, I HIGHLY recommend anything by Philippa Gregory. She writes these wonderfully entertaining novels set in English history. Great heroines, and plenty of drama, hijinks, etc., just set back around the time of Henry the Eighth or Queen Elizabeth I. They're slightly more highbrow than traditional chicklit, but very easy to read.

I'm in the midst of my last round of finals (graduating law school this month!), ever, and the book that I can't put down unfortunately is NOT a legal text... it's Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts.

Decidedly not chicklit, but it's so beautifully written and interesting... I picked it up at Costco b/c it had a pretty cover. It's about a former drug-addict/felon who escapes from prison in Australia and ends up in Bombay. I'm only 100 pages in (out of 900!!!), but it's enthralling. It's based on the author's life I think, and it's just fascinating--the descriptions of people and places and the main character's personal growth. I'm hooked. If only I didn't have these papers to write and tests to take...

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for that list tiger_tim, I started reading the synopsis of those books on amazon and they all sound great! Then I started thinking which ones I should buy and to look on ebay and such... and then I remember the library! I haven't been to the library in years! Gonna take a trip there soon and order some of those books.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, thanks for all the recs! (Great... what have I got myself into? First I got my skincare and makeup to-buy list, now books to-buy!)

I think I'm really going to enjoy all these books you've recommended, so sifting through the list to find the first three books to buy aint gonna be easy (I don't like borrowing books - I have a thing about bookshelves...)!

Thanks again, keep the recs coming! Smile

41 combination skin. Chanel Mat Lumiere Extreme in Beige Ambre for colour ref. I don't wear foundation anymore (thanks to this board I have better and healthier skin than when I was younger). Skincare staples: Retin A, Cleansing oil to remove makeup, BHA cleanser for hormonal breakouts, aloe vera gel, sunscreen.
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
I'd start with "Good In Bed" by Jennifer Weiner, or "Jemima J" by Jane Green.

Those were two of my first (after Bridget Jones) and they totally got me hooked Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 02, 2006 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
The Feng-Shui Junkie by Brian Gallagher
Don't be deceived by the title. The book is not about feng shui. It just so happens that one of the main characters is really into feng shui. Smile

The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella
I actually prefer this one over the Shopaholic series. It got me laughing out loud. Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:42 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |