Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Hair "Glossing"??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 03, 2006 5:19 pm      Reply with quote
I keep seeing ads for these new products designed to add high gloss and shine to hair between colorings.

If I recall correctly, back when I was a teen in the 80s in NYC, these treatments used to be called "cellophanes" - and you could choose between clear shine or a tinted shine.

The cost was somewhat cheaper than full color.

Anyway, so I checked out a box, I think it was the John Frieda brand and the ingredients look like silicones: cyclomethicone, dimethicone plus some kind of pigment.

I'd rather not pay whatever it is, like $10 per treatment (sheesh on top of hair cuts and permanent colorings and shampoos and conditioners...etc).

I have silicones at home that I use in my homemade cosmetics and dry oil perfume sprays.

Any ideas on where to start in developing a DIY formula?....

Thanks, BF
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 03, 2006 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
Sometimes I get glossing done at the hairdresser. It is very expensive but worth getting once in awhile. I was told that you should not get it done frequently because it is drying on your hair.
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 03, 2006 7:28 pm      Reply with quote
I just bought Clarol Nice & Easy Color Boosting Glaze but I haven't tried it yet since I just got my hair highlighted again. It comes in several shades so I bought the one for blondes. I'm thinking I would much rather just have a clear glaze though for shine but I haven't seen any like that except for a salon. The cost was $8.99 USD at my Rite-Aid drugstore.

I'm reading the back of the box now and it says you can do the glaze in 5 minutes and has a special blend of Aloe Vera, Jojoba Oil and Vitamin E. The glaze has no ammonia and no peroxide - it's incredibly gentle on your hair. Also says it is NOT recommended for use with golden shades so I don't know why that would be. The glaze is supposed to last for 6 shampoos. Oops! Says Color Boosting Glaze is NOT recommended for highlighted hair. It goes back to Rite-Aid if I can find my receipt!
Caspers Mum

Wed May 03, 2006 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
I had posted a simliar, inquisitive thread in the Product Reviews a couple of months ago. I'd asked if anyone had used these, and as I had not-much feedback, I had to buy a bottle myself.

"Crap & corruption!" I exclaimed! Though I bought the John Frieda Glossing product, and smelled it before I bought it, I thought I'd be able to tolerate it's perfumey-scent.

As soon as I applied it to my hair: not! I hate perfume enhanced products, and this one reminds me of early 1990's, Calvin Klein Eternity! Razz

I have naturally, medium blonde hair. I have white-blonde highlights put in chemically, every eight weeks or so, but I found that the John Frieda product did nothing but make my scalp itch, and nose twitch from it's fragrance! I haven't tried the Clairol/Color-Stay version yet, and won't bother to.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 2:10 am      Reply with quote
Expensive? I had a glaze put onto my hair once when I had my hair highlighted in a salon and they didn't even charge me for it. Maybe they did I didn't realize it...

I bought and tried Wella's clear glaze (a "demi-permanent"). I found it at Sally Beauty. I think it was $5, $6? And the developer was $5 I think. But I have used it twice and I still have enough left in the tube for at least 2 more applications and about 3 aps of the developer. And I have a lot of hair in a medium-long layered style.

When I had my hair cut last November I asked my beautician if glazing was bad for your hair or not. If I am remembering correctly she said it wasn't really that damaging at least not as damaging as regular hair dye. She came across as very knowledgeable about hair. I liked the haircut she gave me so much that I went back this March for a trim and partial highlights. And I love it! It's the best hair style I've had in years. I have definitely found my hair designer of choice after 6 years of searching. (But now I am moving away! Crying or Very sad).

Anyway, my hair is healthy and I didn't notice any damage when I have used it. And it does create a nice shine. But I can't help but believe that the ingredients wouldn't do some kind of damage...

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 4:35 am      Reply with quote
Bizarrely, I was told a while back by a hairdresser thet you shouldn't have a glaze put on if you have coloured hair as it makes the colour fade. Anyone else heard that?
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 04, 2006 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
Well....I pay my hairdresser a lot just for a haircut. I think he is worth it because he does an excellent job and I could never find any fault.
I have not been told that glossing should not be used on treated hair, but I was told that it can dry out your hair if you get if done often. I think my hair colourist said that you should wait at least three months if you want to keep your hair healthy.
I have not got it done for awhile because my hair is healthy right now.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 09, 2006 6:03 am      Reply with quote
fifi wrote:
Bizarrely, I was told a while back by a hairdresser thet you shouldn't have a glaze put on if you have coloured hair as it makes the colour fade. Anyone else heard that?
That's pure, unalterated bull sh*t! The clear glaze, provided it is applied immediately after the hair coloring or highlights, actually helps "seal" in the color so that it doesn't fade as quickly. Think of it like a manicure "topcoat" for your hair!

For the record, I create my own homemade "glossing" treatment by mixing a few ingredients that I buy from the Personal Formulator into my shampoo and/or conditioner. If you want shiny, healthy hair, the simplest method I can recommend is to mix 1 cup of your fave conditioner with 1 cup of honey (yes, the stuff the bees make!) in a separate jar or container (just stir it with a spoon or spatula until it's completely blended) and apply it in place of your normal conditioner every day or every other day.

The honey not only imparts incredible shine, but it also adds great volume and body to the hair, as well.

looking for small bottle or generous decant to allow me to sample scent to see if it works for me AND doesn’t cause an instant ‘perfume migraine.’

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 09, 2006 9:14 am      Reply with quote
Carrie, I really like the idea of adding honey to the conditioner (always looking for ways to add more volume/body to my fine hair)! Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind sharing, what are the ingredients you use from the Personal Formulator for your DIY glosser?

Mary Smile
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 09, 2006 9:50 am      Reply with quote
Mary H. wrote:
Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind sharing, what are the ingredients you use from the Personal Formulator for your DIY glosser?
This is the additive I use specifically for shine:
• Herbal Shine Booster

but I actually purchase and add several additives from the Personal Formulator to my shampoo and/or conditioner:

• Herbal Volume Booster
• Hair Color Protector Additive
• Herbal Hair Health Booster
• Herbal Dark Hair Highlightener (they also have a version for blondes)
• Damaged Hair Highlightener

For a 16-oz bottle of shampoo or conditioner, I add an 1/8 of a teaspoon of each of the above additives.

The reason I locked onto the idea of using these additives is because the ingredients in the Herbal Shine Booster are very similar to those in the Paves Shine Serum that I so worship and adore (click here to read more: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=7256&highlight=paves+shine+serum). I haven't gotten around to formulating a homemade recipe for the Paves shine serum but I bet it wouldn't be that difficult...I'll add it to my to-do list and share the recipe with you guys once I've worked it out.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 09, 2006 10:19 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, Carrie...you're the best!

Mary Very Happy
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 14, 2006 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
I keep noticing that the key ingredients to all these shine serums, including Aveda smoothing elements and the Paves products is silicones and then other smaller amounts of other additivies.

I know several of the bath and body etailers also sell "hair glossing sprays" that are basically composed of fragrance and silicones.

I am going to have to try to make a DIY formula. It just seems like there must be something obvious here that I am missing.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 15, 2006 3:44 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
I keep noticing that the key ingredients to all these shine serums, including Aveda smoothing elements and the Paves products is silicones and then other smaller amounts of other additivies.

I am going to have to try to make a DIY formula. It just seems like there must be something obvious here that I am missing.
So long is the silicone that is being used is water-soluable (meaning that it was easily shampoo out), then I don’t have a problem with it being included in a shine serum but that’s just me....

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 28, 2006 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
following up:

I didn't need to develop my own, I found "recipes" for the following at the lotion crafters website, looking forward to trying them!

Hair Polishing Serum

High Sheen Hair Polishing Serum

Conditioning Hair Glossing Spray

Simply Shine Hair Glossing Spray
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:36 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |