Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
sunscreen?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
maketop

Thu May 04, 2006 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
In choosing a sunscreen is it important or beneficial to choose one with antioxidants ?

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 05, 2006 12:15 am      Reply with quote
personally, i'm not too fussed whether my sunscreen has antioxidants as i get them through my skincare, I just make sure it has a high enough spf seeing as that's what i'm using it for

oli
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 05, 2006 9:09 am      Reply with quote
The most important thing about s/s is how much UVA it blocks. It's also the hardest information to find in US s/s Rolling Eyes
productjunkie76
5% products discount

Fri May 05, 2006 11:49 am      Reply with quote
one of the most important thing about ss is the stability.
unfortunatlye most stable ss's break me out
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 05, 2006 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried Lancome's multi-vital spf 30 lotion or cream? It's apparently stable & may be worth looking into. Plus, the Bay has a promo till the 14th with a deluxe sample inside( along with one of their huge tote bags & stuff)
Actives are avobenzone, octisalate & octocrylene-to stabalize the avobenzone.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 05, 2006 5:04 pm      Reply with quote
I prefer a good anti-aging moisturizer with SPF.
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 06, 2006 6:20 am      Reply with quote
I use a separate antioxidant serum. I'm pretty fussy about my sunscreens since I'm allergic to the chemical ones.
dede
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 06, 2006 6:29 am      Reply with quote
Could anyone recommend a good sunscreen that's not chemically based?
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 06, 2006 10:01 am      Reply with quote
the only sunscreen i've stayed with is skinceuticals physical formula spf 30. It contains zinc oxide and titanium dioxide..the downfall is that it does have a white coat..but it kinda of blends itself in after awhile. and mineral sunscreens never sink into the skin, which is actually good...cause putting those active chemicals in your body isn't too sexy...Nope.

Sat May 06, 2006 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
but the mineral sunscreen does not protect you well against the UVA...Also, they are not very stable....
I use Retin A cream and I need a good sunscreen but the more I read the more confused I am.
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 6:53 am      Reply with quote
dede wrote:
Could anyone recommend a good sunscreen that's not chemically based?

I'm currently using mineral makeup as my sunscreen because I can't use chemical ones and most that use only titanium dioxide and zinc oxide were greasy, too white or gave me red bumps. Of the ones I've tried, June Jacobs makes a pretty nice one but it's not easy to find and it's pricey. I haven't tried them but Skinceuticals, DDF and PTR also have physical sunscreens that are quite popular.
sj4eva

Mon May 08, 2006 10:38 am      Reply with quote
Can anyone recommend a good sunscreen that has skin lightening abilities? I have never worn sunscreen before so I am not sure about what spf I should use either.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 1:25 pm      Reply with quote
Vitamins C and E in sunscreen do help to protect your skin. I read about it on PubMed.Here's a couple of abstracts....

Effectiveness of antioxidants (vitamin C and E) with and without sunscreens as topical photoprotectants.

Darr D, Dunston S, Faust H, Pinnell S.

North Carolina Biotechnology Center, Raleigh, N.C., USA.

Considerable interest has been recently generated concerning the use of natural compounds, anti-oxidants in particular, in photoprotection. Two of the best known anti-oxidants are vitamins C and E, both of which have been shown to be somewhat effective in different models of photodamage. Very little has been reported, however, on the effectiveness of a combination of the two (known to be biologically the more relevant situation); nor have there been detailed studies on the ability of these antioxidants to augment commercial sunscreen protection against UV damage. We report that (in swine skin) vitamin C is capable of additive protection against acute UVB damage (sunburn cell formation) when combined with a UVB sunscreen. A combination of both vitamins E and C provided very good protection from a UVB insult, the bulk of the protection attributable to vitamin E. However, vitamin C is significantly better than vitamin E at protecting against a UVA-mediated phototoxic insult in this animal model, while the combination is only slightly more effective than vitamin C alone. When vitamin C or a combination of vitamin C and E is formulated with a commercial UVA sunscreen (oxybenzone), an apparently greater than additive protection is noted against the phototoxic damage. These results confirm the utility of anti-oxidants as photoprotectants but suggest the importance of combining the compounds with known sunscreens to maximize photoprotection.
Bioconvertible vitamin antioxidants improve sunscreen photoprotection against UV-induced reactive oxygen species.

Hanson KM, Clegg RM.

Laboratory for Fluorescence Dynamics, Department of Physics, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, USA.

The ability of sunscreens and antioxidants to deactivate highly destructive reactive oxygen species in human skin has remained inconclusive. Two-photon fluorescence imaging microscopy was used to determine the effect of sunscreen/antioxidant combinations upon UV-induced ROS generation in ex vivo human skin. A sunscreen combination containing octylmethoxycinnamate (Parsol MCX) and avobenzone (Parsol 1789) at SPF 8 and SPF 15 was tested for its ability to prevent UV radiation from generating ROS in the viable epidermal strata of ex vivo human skin. A UV dose equivalent to two hours of North American solar UV was used to irradiate the skin. Each sunscreen reduced the amount of ROS induced in the viable strata by a value consistent with the SPF level. UV photons that were not absorbed/scattered by the sunscreen formulations generated ROS within the viable epidermal layers. The addition of the bioconvertible antioxidants vitamin E acetate and sodium ascorbyl phosphate (STAY-C 50) improves photoprotection by converting to vitamins E and C, respectively, within the skin. The bioconversion forms an antioxidant reservoir that deactivates the ROS generated (within the strata granulosum, spinosum, and basale) by the UV photons that the sunscreens do not block in the stratum corneum.
Scottishjuls
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
If using Retin A do I need a sunblock or a suncreen?? I am confused... Havent wore anything more than SPF 15 before but things need to change now I am using Retin A...........
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
You definetly need a good sunscreen especially since you are using RetinA.

I use Differin (a weaker retinoid than RetinA) and I put on a SPF15 sunscreen every morning. If I am going to be out in the sun I will put at least a SPF 30 on and often use a SPF 55.

I think SPF 15 is okay if you are mostly going to be indoors but otherwise use a strong sunscreen. I am actually thinking about increasing the SPF of my everyday sunscreen to 20 or 30 just to be safe. You also need to look at more than just the SPF rating. Some sunscreen have a high SPF but offer very little protection against UVA rays.HTH
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 2:02 pm      Reply with quote
viesia wrote:
but the mineral sunscreen does not protect you well against the UVA...Also, they are not very stable....
I use Retin A cream and I need a good sunscreen but the more I read the more confused I am.

not very stable? I beg to differ. Chemical sunscreens have a higher chance of being far more unstable than mineral. It's pure physical sunscreen ON your skin...not sure where you found that information.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
I kinda think some of the confusion comes from the fact we are in different countries and on different continents. We all need protection from the sun but all sunscreens are not equal.

In the US, chemical s/s tend to be unstable and have little to no UVA protection. Physical s/s tend to be better. These would be s/s with Zinc Oxide as the main ingrediant. When we talk about physical being better than chemical this is what we are talking about.

Now, the best s/s in the world is a chemical s/s made by La Roach Posey called Anthelos (I hope someone will correct the spelling). It is not sold in the US so we have to buy it from other countries usually via the internet.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
Funny you mention authelios(sp ), because I was eyeing some of that last night on the internet. I always use physical sunscreen on my face being that I am sensitive..but it's far too expensive to smother my body in. My body can handle slightly harsher ingredients, so i think it's time to give this stuff a try.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
I do the same thing, purpleturtle. The "good stuff" goes on my face and neck. The other stuff goes other places! Bad Grin
Rose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using Skinceuticals' for a while. I also have Avene sunscreen. I don't know which one is better though.
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 7:19 am      Reply with quote
The best sunscreens are Mexoryl based. Currently they are not approved by the FDA in the US but nearly every other country sells them. L'Oreal has the patent on Mexoryl so all of their sunscreen products OUTSIDE of the US have them as an ingredient. If it isn't made or owned by L'Oreal it will not have Mexoryl in it anywhere. You can buy these sunscreens online for delivery to America (my sister lives in the US and buys them online from Canada). It is by far the best protection against both UVA and UVB light.
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 7:37 am      Reply with quote
I should have added that another poster mentioned the L'Oreal owned brand La Roche Posay. They make an excellent sunscreen for wear under makeup called Anthelios. A google search will give you several results. The best is the XL version. Before they used XS which was an inferior sunscreen protection against UVA. They have since changed their formulation to create Anthelios Fluide XL which is a good sunscreen under makeup. It is very light and holds up during the day.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 10:43 am      Reply with quote
My absolute fave sunscreen is the La Roche Posay Dermo-Pediatrics spf 40 SPRAY (not lotion or cream). It has a PPD of 18 and dries to a nice matte finish. It's my lifesaver. No more greasy, shiny sunscreen for me.

It is stable and not available in US. I get it off ebay from either wasabina or lwsue. Also,www.physea.com sells it.

However, all that said, this year, it appears that the US suncreen makers have finally gotten a clue and there are a slew of STABLE sunscreens available. Look for Avobenzone (Parsol 1789) and Octrocrylene in the stable formulations. The Avobenzone should be at a percentage that is about twice what the Octocrylene is at. (For example, 4% Avo, 2% Octo...) I believe Neutrogena has an spf 55 that is "breathable" and is getting good reviews at MakeupAlley. I also saw that Cellular Skin Rx has a new sunscreen out that has the Avo/Octo combination as well and when I tested it, it dried to a soft, matte finish.

BUT, LRP dermo-peds spray is my forever sunscreen. Smile
Smoothskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
I think two good mineral sunscreens are: Dr Hauschka which is water resistant and based on titanium dioxide. A good daily mineral sunscreen comes from Devita - it is SPF 30 with a feather light texture and a zinc oxide shield (I have written an enthusiastic review of this). For a sunscreen that lightens too; I would recommend Philosophy A Pigment Of Your Imagination SPF 18 which contains kojic acid.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:58 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |