Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Anyone ever gotten a bad pedicure?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Poll :: What's your favorite color for a pedicure?

french
25%
 25%  [ 6 ]
red
41%
 41%  [ 10 ]
pink
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
unusual color, like sky blue or mint green
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
metallic such as bronze or silver
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
natural beige
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 24

manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 05, 2006 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
Back when I was younger, it seemed like I had all the free time and energy in the world to perform elaborate weekly manicures and pedicures on myself. These days tho, I find it easier to just go to a salon and let them get my feet sandal-ready for me, so I just started getting salon pedicures last month. The first place I went to was AMAZING--- when I walked out of there my feet looked like they were ready for the red carpet! I figured all salon pedicures were like that and resolved to start going more often. However, when I tried to book an appt a month later, they were full, so I decided to try another place. It wasn't until I got home til I realized what an awful job they did!! My toenails are uneven, the nail polish has hair bubbles, is smudged, and doesn't even cover the whole nail on some toes, and it's just a big mess---what a waste of money!!! I guess I learned a lesson the hard way, but I wonder---- is this the norm? Has anyone else ever had a bad salon manicure/pedicure?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 05, 2006 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
By the way, that was supposed to be "air bubbles" not "hair bubbles" Embarassed

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 05, 2006 4:24 pm      Reply with quote
the salon still might be okay...the person that did your pedicure may be new. I'd just ask for someone else next time!
phredd4
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 05, 2006 10:46 pm      Reply with quote
I only wish I could get a spa or salon pedicure! For years I've had this very small plantars wart on the bottom of one of my feet plus I get regular eczema outbreaks on both feet so I'm sure they wouldn't want me there! But french is my preference.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 06, 2006 7:28 am      Reply with quote
phredd4 you poor girl!! I actually know just what you are gong through--- I used to have eczema on my feet (but it eventually went away, thank goodness), and my younger sister has the world's largest planter wart on the bottom of one of her feet. She has been to a million dermatologists and none of them can do anything, so she has resigned herself to no salon pedicures. ( I don't even think she will let her boyrfiends touch her feet!)

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 06, 2006 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz,

if you have time, i would go back soon, like today or monday and say that you are not happy with the results of the pedicure.

they should fix it for you.

i would just go in, and nicely explain, wear sandals, so it's easy to show them.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 06, 2006 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
my younger sister has the world's largest planter wart on the bottom of one of her feet. She has been to a million dermatologists and none of them can do anything, so she has resigned herself to no salon pedicures. ( I don't even think she will let her boyrfiends touch her feet!)

My mom had really stubborn warts on her hands. She was having them burned every month for 2 years with no result. Then the dermatologist gave her a cream called Aldara and it helped clear them up in a couple of months. The cream is meant for skin cancer but works great on warts. I had a nasty one on my foot and 3 weeks took care of it without the peeling/burning/etc that comes from duofilm and the other salicylic based wart treatments.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 06, 2006 11:11 pm      Reply with quote
I've been blessed with good pedicures. Found a great salon close to home with a great technician at a reasonable price. Granted, she speaks little English, but we struggle along just fine! She's incredibly meticulous and recently did this most beautiful floral design on my big toes. I had always thought it looked cheesy until I saw her feet and begged to have it done. No regrets- very fun for summer!

As for plantars warts, I was cursed with these during college. The nurse at the school's clinic recommended a solution that worked for me. A bit painful, but worth it. You apply the over-the-counter wart treatment on the area, then bandage the area well and wear the bandage for several days. This causes the solution to penetrate and kill the wart from the inside, which is wear these little buggers live.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 8:13 am      Reply with quote
LandB wrote:
As for plantars warts, I was cursed with these during college. The nurse at the school's clinic recommended a solution that worked for me. A bit painful, but worth it. You apply the over-the-counter wart treatment on the area, then bandage the area well and wear the bandage for several days. This causes the solution to penetrate and kill the wart from the inside, which is wear these little buggers live.

I don't recommend doing that if the wart is close to a nail. I used the OTC stuff and it burned off the skin right beside my nail. I had to use a bandaid because I was going on a cruise. The result of the bandaid over the nail was a nail fungus. Yuck...still working on getting rid of it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 10:14 am      Reply with quote
lianne wrote:
LandB wrote:

I don't recommend doing that if the wart is close to a nail. I used the OTC stuff and it burned off the skin right beside my nail. I had to use a bandaid because I was going on a cruise. The result of the bandaid over the nail was a nail fungus. Yuck...still working on getting rid of it.

Totally agree. I should have specified that mine were in my heel where the skin tends to be calloused and can tolerate the chemical. Thanks for noting this.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
LandB wrote:

Totally agree. I should have specified that mine were in my heel where the skin tends to be calloused and can tolerate the chemical. Thanks for noting this.

No problem, I don't want anyone to go through what I've been going through with this danm nail fungus. I gave in and filled the dr. prescription and it cost $120...and there's 6 refills on it...and of course, it's not covered by my medical plan.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 10:19 am      Reply with quote
Wow, I can't believe all this info!! Thanks everyone! My sister's wart is in the middle of her foot, so I think she'd be safe with any of these treatments. As for me, I'm trying one more new pedicure place (this one supposedly does nail art, so I'm going to see if they will use little jewels. When I lived in Japan I noticed lots of girls wore manicures and pedicures with tiny crystals on their nails, and it looked sooo awesome! I've been doing it ever since, but it would be nice to find a place that will do it for me...), but it this place is bad, I'm just going to throw in the towel and stick with the original place.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 11, 2006 12:21 pm      Reply with quote
Pedicures and manicures can be SO hit and miss!! I had acrylic nails for about 3 years and had to go every 2-3 weeks to get them filled. I went to a place near my house and saw whichever tech was free. There was one woman there who was AWESOME, did the best job, made sure my nails were healthy and looked perfect. There were a few techs there who were so-so, and one who I hated to end up seeing because he did a quickie slapdash kind of job. I really think it's the nail technician that's important much more so than the place. If you find someone you like, make appointments to see that person only! I wish I'd been able to do that with the woman who did a great job, but our schedules conflicted most of the time.

Along the lines of pedicures, I've actually never had a professional one. I don't know what it is, but there's something about me sitting on a throne like chair having someone kneeling at my feet and scrubbing them that makes me uncomfortable. I know it's their job, but I can't help feeling that way. I have a hard time relaxing and enjoying massages too, isn't that crazy?? I think it's the fact that it's a stranger, I have no trouble accepting and enjoying a massage from the bf (rare though they are!)... Laughing
Linnie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 15, 2006 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
Twice, the beautician (not the same) was too much in a hurry to send me home, and the nail polish got smudged. Very frustrating! I suppose that I could have gone back for touch-ups, but was too angry to.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 15, 2006 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
Well, just to give you guys a little update--- I went to the new place I was talking about, and while my pedicure looks better than the disaster that befell me LAST time, this time there was a new problem... the person who did my pedicure was a guy!!! I know, I know, to some people that's no big deal, but I'm one of those strange people who's funny about personal space, and I don't like being touched by strange men for any reason. (This pedicure also apparently included a leg massage...very uncomfortable!!) And on top of that, laugh if you want to ladies, but it almost seemed like the way this guy was smiling he was enjoying my pedicure....(Well, I AM a beautiful woman with beautiful feet....) <sigh> Anyway, I was originally looking for other places to get pedicures because the place where I got the nice one is like 20 minutes away and I'm a bit lazy, but I guess from now on I'll just suck it up and go back there...

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
The pedicure itself was great -- my feet actually looked beautiful. The toe nail fungus came along with the pedi as a free gift with purchase, I guess.

I'd never had nail fungus in my life, so I didn't recognize it as such. Went to a clinic, stuck out my foot and asked the doctor "What IS this? It's disgusting!". Felt like a real ninny when I learned what it was, then really ticked off when I realized where I'd contracted it.

Getting to the point here eventually, I also tried the prescription systemic med. for nail fungus and it did the trick but I wouldn't do it again -- this med. is tough on your system. About six months later, I noticed fungus appearing AGAIN, on the same nail.

Loathe to do the prescription thing again, I picked up a bottle of Oil of Oregano (made by North America Spice Company, a bit pricey at $30 Cdn. per bottle but worth it). Soaked my feet well, cut the afflicted toe nail as short as I could without crippling myself, and applied a drop of the oil, straight out of the bottle, rubbing it in well. (It is recommended that you dilute the oregano oil with a carrier oil, like olive, because it may cause skin irritation but I never had any bad reaction from the straight oil.) The idea is to have the oil make contact with the infested area in order to be effective. If you can't abide really short toe nails, get a little syringe (from your veterinarian or some such) and make sure it has a very thin spout/tip/applicator. Draw up some oregano oil with the syringe, ease the nail back as much as you can, and squeeze a drop of oil underneath. You'll be able to tell if the oil hits the mark because the nail color deepens slightly and you might notice a slight burning sensation because the oil is very strong. You know your skin sensitivity better than anyone, so use common sense and caution if concerned.

Anyway -- I used it nightly and it did take months, but it worked! Now that traitorous toe nail looks as good as the rest of them. I still use the oil about once a week, especially in the colder weather when my feet are almost continually encased in closed shoes.
If the powerful smell bothers you, try wearing a sock on the treated foot.

Weird thing I noticed -- the next morning, after the first time I tried this treatment, I woke up and burped delicately, and tasted oregano! Greek food, anyone? Laughing Good support for the fact that skin is permeable, and one should be careful about what is applied to it.
dealated
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
I used to get pedi's, I got them done at walmart Embarassed but they did a fantastic job every time Smile But I stopped going out of fungus fears. got athlete's foot and never returned
Misha
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:14 pm      Reply with quote
I got a really bad manicure the other week. I was out of town for a wedding and needed a mani/pedi. Time was tight so I just stopped into a nail salon in a strip mall by our hotel. It's the kind of place I always go to back home. The techician filed my nails down to a square tip. I normally do rounded and he didn't ask. Then as he was painting them he commented about how uneven he had filed them. One nail he filed down conciderably shorter than the others and then asked me if I'd like them all that short. And it was pretty short. I just kept them uneven. At the end, he wrote down the polish name and color and told me that if anything happens before the wedding he'll fix it for free. I'd never had anyone say that before. I didn't think anything of it until the next morning and I had chips on every nail. I went back and someone else fixed it. I bought the polish because the wedding was still two days away and I wouldn't have any time to come back to get it fixed. Sure enough...I had to fix it everyday. The day after the wedding the polish just started peeling off in big chunks. I haven't had too many mani/pedis but I've never had polish peel like that. My toes still look beautiful though.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:24 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |