Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
opinions on skincare for mature, sagging skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
luvmykitties
5% products discount

Sun May 07, 2006 2:12 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

I just discovered this site through a Google search, and I am totally overwhelmed! There seems to be way too many great products here. Surprised

I know there could be a million different suggestions, but if I could have my choices to research narrowed down, it would be wonderful!
Basically I need to reverse signs of aging.

my issues (listed in order of my priority):
- I am looking for something to help with the sagging of the skin at jaw line and jowls. Something that really does tighten and firm the skin. This bothers me tremendously.
- wrinkles/loose skin on neck
- have "smoking lines" above lips.
- broken blood vessels on nose and cheeks
- loose skin on eyes ("crepe"?)
- light wrinkles around my eyes (but not as concerned with this).
- sun damage
- bags under my eyes (does anyone not have this? lol)

I'm 41, dry skin (cheeks xtra dry in winter), not especially sensitive skin - but don't like overly fragrant products as it sometimes aggrevates my allergies.
Never had acne. Always had pretty good skin - normal, small pores, occasional pimples. (I seem to be breaking out a bit more now, but I think it's because I'm wearing more makeup. I'm in the process of switching over to Mineral based products)

I've ALWAYS looked young for my age. usually guessed for about 7 - 10 yrs younger than my age into my late 30's.
Although I saw signs of aging in my 30's, it wasn't too bad and didn't bother me to badly. Makeup hid the broken blood vessels, dark under-eye circles, and evened out my skin tone.
Once I hit 40, seems like I all of the sudden I really aged, and feel like I now look older than my age now. (I haven't had a "how old do you think I am" conversation in awhile so not sure what people would actually guess). I can't camouflage the jowls/sagging skin.
I guess the years of sun worshipping and smoking finally caught up to me. Rolling Eyes (quit doing both Wink )

I apologize for the lengthy post, but I'm trying to give as much info as I can think of.

btw - I don't have a lot to spend right now, but would be willing to spend money on products that really show results. I may need to get piecemeal at first.

So what has worked well for you?
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 5:20 am      Reply with quote
I can't touch on everything, but my guess is that folks will definitely suggest a daily sunscreen for overall sun protection and a schedule of exfoliation to reveal brighter skin.

For your under-eye and smoker's lines, I would suggest Decleor's Vitaroma Total Lift eye and lip cream. You might try to see if EDS will give you a sample.

You'll probably also want to try a lip plumper, which I think might counteract the smoker's lines to some degree by puffing out the lips. I recently did a search of the forum and found multiple threads on lip plumpers, which discuss different features, such as long term vs. short term effect.

Keep in mind that folks on the forum are very open minded to drugstore finds and regularly review them, so even though money is an issue, my guess is that you'll be well on your way to finding a regime that you can afford.

The search function for the forum is invaluable, and I'd go ahead and search tons of terms, like "sagging" and "neck," and you'll get something! Promise!

WELCOME!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 5:38 am      Reply with quote
landb - sorry to butt in here, but I was just recommended by another woman Decleor Instant Beauty. Would you know anything about this product since you mentioned Decleor total lift? I have the same "things" going on with my skin as luvmykitties, but I wanted a temporary fix as I am going on vacation soon and want to look my best. Thanks for any help.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 5:40 am      Reply with quote
Your best bets are a good sunscreen (broad spectrum, high SPF and PPD)

- a retinoid product

- healthy diet with antioxidants

- a topical antioxidant cream or lotion such as a Vitamin C serum

If I were you, I would start by researching these items, there are several good sources online, this board included.

Then once I had my skin care regimin in place, I would search for makeup that conceals and flatters your face as it is now. Do lots of reading, ask lots of questions - beware of bias on the part of anyone pushing a product they also sell).

Good luck to you, BF
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 5:43 am      Reply with quote
sorry! let me rephrase that.

I meant to say makeup that conceals certain areas of your face, like dark shadows or fine lines, etc.

I don't know much about tightening....

BF
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 6:13 am      Reply with quote
Congratulations on quitting the smoking and sun-bathing. Those were probably the main causes for the lines above your lips and the sagging skin.

You should use sunscreen daily to prevent further sundamage even if you no longer tan. A retinoid product at night, either OTC or prescription would help with some of the fine lines, and Vit C or other antioxidant serum in the morning under the sunscreen. An moisturiser with hydroxy-acids might be a good way to ease into refining your skin texture. One reasonably priced drugstore line is Alpha-Hydrox.

There's a wide range of products that can be found in both drugstore and specialty retailers like EDS and Sephora. It all depends on how much you want to spend. As others have suggested, do a search and you'll find lots of suggestions.
Hope
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 6:46 am      Reply with quote
Your story sounds just like mine with the same issues. You'll find lots of good information on this site, but sadly, your credit card will suffer for it Smile

Vit. C and a retinol product will help a great deal with the clarity and firmness issues. They take time to work, though, so no overnight miracles unfortunately. AHA products help exfoliate and smooth your skin. I use Vit. C every morning and alternate AHAs with retinol at night. I currently use the IS Clinical Active Serum, but it's pricey. In the past, I've found the Alpha Hydroxy line from the drugstore to be effective as well.

Check out the Pure Skin Formulations(PSF) products. They are excellent quality and a good value for the money. I love their Vit. C and their retinol is gentle on my skin. The Stimu-coll is a great product for eye crepiness as well.

Dr. Brandt's Laser Tight is supposed to be good for sagging around the jawline, but I don't have personal experience with it so can't say if it works. Some people have also reported good results with Janson Beckett ADCE. Products containing DMAE are reported to lift and tighten as well, and I'm just starting to research those myself.

In terms of makeup, I can highly recommend the Lauren Hutton face disk. It's based on the principles of shadow and light and has step-by-step instructions for how to use it to minimize spots, bags, saggy jowls, etc. Very natural looking as well - you don't look like you have tons of makeup caked on to cover everything. It's targeted at the over-40 woman, but suitable for anyone.

Good luck with your search. One other thing - you will probably want to try everything at first and it will be a long trial-and-error period before you find what works best for you. So don't give up if the first products you try don't work out. Also, many people list their skin type, age, etc in their signature, so check to see if the person who's recommending a product has a similar skin type.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy reading all the good advice here.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 7:03 am      Reply with quote
I just ordered several products from the Decleor's Vitaroma Total Lift line from EDS. I have been using the same products for so long and looking to give my skin a change (that can be good from time to time). Although I have not used this line as yet my friend does and her skin elasticity is much improved. I will do a review after I have used Decleor for a few weeks.

I can also suggest the Facial Flex exerciser. As of late I have been lazy with it. It really works and is not expensive. It does a nice job on the jawline. You can also try some facial exercises without purchasing the Facial Flex. You are young enough to get some spring back into your face. Smile

Laren Hutton's Face Disc is great for contouring. When I am not being lazy I apply the Face Disc concealers and highlighters and it takes years off this face. Laughing

IMO sunscreen and a Vitamin C serum are a MUST.
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 7:18 am      Reply with quote
Congrats on quitting smoking and giving up the SUN, these are prob. the 2 best and maybe cheapest things you can do for yourself. I'm 52yo and definitly understand what it feels like as your skin starts to show age. It took a while so be patient when trying new products. Ok-1. good quailty sunscreen, 2. gentle exfoliation, 3. Vit C serum, 4. eye product, 5.good general purpose moisturizer, 6.DMAE either in a serum or cream form helps to tighten and tone and 7.good food, lots of h2o, green tea, exercise and vits. Consider saving $$$ for future use in fillers for upper lip lines if other methods do help. Sorry to be so long winded but it's hard to be concise on such a large subject.HTH alittle, good luck and keep us posted.
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 7:21 am      Reply with quote
Well I've never smoked (although I grew up surrounded by smokers, so I reckon I've had more than my share of second-hand smoke Sad ), but otherwise your story sounds exactly like mine. It feels as if I hit 40 and suddenly there's an older person looking back at me in the mirror!

I'm using vitamin c / glycolic products daily now, along with browtox for the expression lines and most importantly - sunblock!! I can't say that the loose skin / sagginess is looking better, but I certainly haven't gotten any worse over the last few months. I'm just about to order some IS Clinical products, and have high hopes for those based on the reviews I've read (loads on here), will let you know if they start to work miracles!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 9:21 am      Reply with quote
Ooooooh nooo, not long until I reach 40 now. I'm seriously scared that I'll start seeing an old hag looking back at my in the mirror at any moment. Shock
fifi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 9:23 am      Reply with quote
It seemed to happen overnight, I'm telling you Shock !!
luvmykitties
5% products discount

Sun May 07, 2006 10:13 am      Reply with quote
thank you for all your advice!

I've never heard of the Lauren Hutton Face Disk. I'll definitely have to look into that.

I should have stated that I have started using daily sunscreen this past year. It's been difficult to find a product with SPF that I like for the face. Don't like the smell or the way my skin felt. But found a couple that are OK. But only SPF 15, and now that summer is approaching, I should probably get higher SPF.

I was looking at the Dermologica Solar Booster SPF 30. I'll have to do a search on that to see opinions. I like the concept of adding it to existing moisturizers and makeup (or applying it on it's own). I'll have to find a place that carries it so I can check it out in person.

Interesting about all the Vit C comments. With all the skin care samples I've tried, none are Vit C! I'll have to start checking this out.

Thank you for giving me some starting points to search on. I'll be busy for the next week. LOL Laughing
It's so overwhelming with all the existing technologies, and then all the "new breakthrough" ingredients.

41, mature dry skin, somewhat sensitive. Blue eyes, brown hair, fair to medium skin. Areas of concern: loss of elasticity & definition, sagging skin/jowls, neck, deep lip lines, broken capillaries on nose and cheeks, crepiness on eyelids. Less of a concern: photodamage, wrinkles around eyes and outer cheeks, darkness under eyes
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
rileygirl wrote:
landb - sorry to butt in here, but I was just recommended by another woman Decleor Instant Beauty. Would you know anything about this product since you mentioned Decleor total lift? I have the same "things" going on with my skin as luvmykitties, but I wanted a temporary fix as I am going on vacation soon and want to look my best. Thanks for any help.

I don't, unfortunately. My only 2 Decleor products are the vitaroma eye/lip and the ylang ylang balm. But my hunch, just from these 2 products, is that Decleor generally delivers good results. I do love these 2 products. GOOD LUCK and no matter what, ENJOY YOUR VACATION!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, LandB!
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 07, 2006 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
One of my favorite Sun Protection products is Jan Marini's. It is a nice moisturizer and stays put all day. Big bonus is that is smells good and the texture is lovely.

Quote:
Jan Marini Skin Research Antioxidant Daily Face Protectant SPF 30 Waterproof combines a revolutionary microscopic sponge encapsulation system, state of the art sun protection, a powerful antioxidant component and a superb hydrating complex. Antioxidant Daily Face Protectant incorporates a combination of conventional sun screening agents along with two newly developed non-chemical sun blocking substances that provide enhanced sun protection as well as exceptional skin recovery benefits. The result is a formulation that ensures continuous coverage for daily or extended exposure conditions with a broad spectrum SPF 30 rating that is also waterproof for times when perspiration or water sports may be a factor.

I also purchased PSF suncreen and use it in place of a moisturizer.....Also a lovely product. PSF has an SPF of 15 and 30.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
I'm a bit older than you are but understand how you feel with the "aging" coming on strong around 40. Simply put, the most effective products to reverse sun damage, refirm/thicken your skin and even out your skin tone are (in order of effectiveness):

-Retin-A or Renova
-Vitamin C serum (Vivier, Cellular Skin Rx, Skinceuticals, PSF are all popular here.)
-stable sunscreen (La Roche Posay, Biotherm, Avene)

You can use the Retin-A at night, the C serum each AM followed by the sunscreen. If you take pics now and follow this routine, you will see a tremendous difference in your skin in about 12 weeks. At one year, you won't believe the change. All three products are long-term use products - no quick fixes for real changes in your skin.

Other: Weekly enzyme masks, cleansers with glycolic/lactic acid in them, physical exfoliants will also help to speed your skin on its way to its old self again.
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Betterat40, would you mind sharing your current routine with us?
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
I'll be 60 soon and starting to show my age. Sad Hate the sagging/lose skin the most.

Other than PS the only thing for sagging/lose skin is DMAE. You can make your own and save $$. It works only moderately well.

Broken caps (vessels as you call them) Nothing topical. V Beam laser is good.

Retin-A will help with some of the lines and creppiness (sp?). Also the "sun damage" you mentioned...every thing you mentioned is sun damage. Other things enter into it like, genetics expressions, but it's also from the sun. Retin-A is rather pricy but a tube lasts a long time.

A good stable UVA blocking s/s.

Moisturizers do nothing to help or avoid aging skin.

Vit C might help bleach out any brown spots you have and is just good for your skin. You can make your own for pennies.

Alpha Hydrox is a good skin exfoliator. You can get it at the drug store.

If you find something for eye bags...let me know! Very Happy
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
I would recommend checking out Ebay for a sample pack by Janson Beckett, which is a 5 day sample pack of several items. I have heard others speak highly of this company, specifically ADCE. I just purchased a pack myself and am anxiously awaiting for it.

Another thing to consider is picking up a kit of Serrious Skin Care products from hsn.com. You can look through the kits that they have and order one with a large assortment of products and even choose an option to pay for the kit in installments. I recently purchased a large C kit from them for slightly over the price of one small jar of a favorite brand of skin cream.

Serious Skin Care puts out a line of Reverse Lift products and A products that sound like they may be a match for you. If you can find a kit that you like you can always choose to add a more expensive product or 2 as you can afford while having a good skin care base of essentials in front of you.

I am not yet 40 myself and a few weeks ago I noticed some things in the mirror that I never noticed before... and I am trying to find the right balance for me to slow things down as much as possible... and if reversal is possible, I am all for it, but like you I cannot spend an arm and a leg to do it.
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, let me add that if you are a new HSN customer there is a code you can use. If you purchase a product that has a price of $60 or more and you type in 690355 when you check out you will save $20. I am not sure how long this code is good for... I think it is until June, but try it before you commit to see if it works, just to be sure. I think it is good for regular priced items only.
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 11:25 pm      Reply with quote
Bosoxy, I tried SSC products via HSN whe I was alittle younger and liked most of the products, however as I have aged more over the last 5yrs. I find there products in general just don't come through with the results. They don't seem to have enough of the vital ingrediants. I've found from this forum and other forums as well as my own experimentation, other products with more % essential ingrediants. Anyway, that's my opinion. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 09, 2006 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
nomoreneckpain wrote:
Bosoxy, I tried SSC products via HSN whe I was alittle younger and liked most of the products, however as I have aged more over the last 5yrs. I find there products in general just don't come through with the results. They don't seem to have enough of the vital ingrediants. I've found from this forum and other forums as well as my own experimentation, other products with more % essential ingrediants. Anyway, that's my opinion. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I totally hear you... I have seen people rave about the products and people say that they are not enough...

I am not sure how great the line of products is, however the kits make it more of a budget line and I feel that for those who cannot afford a full line of high priced products that starting with SSC and perhaps adding in a product or two that may be pricey and essential to address a specific problem would be more beneficial than going without.

Perhaps there are other lines that are better that can be purchased in a similar fashion to the SSC line that would be more beneficial to the skin?

I am also trying to balance finding a good line and the price. I have not used SSC long enough to know if it will work for me but I was working with Olay... the box of face cloths that need to be wet to work and basic Olay lotion for the price and I wasn't too thrilled with it and the line that I used to use and love I can no longer afford...
luvmykitties
5% products discount

Tue May 09, 2006 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you Betterat40 and Donnababe for your input and a bit more targeted information.

I have questions about products: (I've started doing searches here, but there's a lot to read through!)

I apologize in advance for a lengthy post. Embarassed

- Should I start with a lower % of Vit C? And build up over time? Or is a lower % a waste of money? My skin isn't that sensitive, but then again, I don't think I've used anything harsh before.
And if I've been understanding what I've been reading - I should only look for Vit C as L-Ascorbic Acid? Vit C Ester or any other kind isn't as effective?

- what percentage of glycolic acid should I be looking for - or does it matter?
Has anyone tried Mario Badescu "Glycolic Foaming Cleanser"? I have tried it, and really like the way my skin felt afterwards, but it doesn't state the % of glycolic.
They have a Glycolic Acid Toner that says 2%, but I haven't tried it yet. Would I use both together? Or an either or?
Does it matter if the glycolic acid is in an exfoliator cleanser, or in a toner or serum?

- Does glycolic acid and Alpha Hydroxy basically serve the same purpose as an exfoliator? Is my goal just to exfoliate dead skin cells off - so any product that can do that without irritation, would be adequate? Or do the different types of exfoliators make a big difference?
I've tried the Mary Kay Timewise Dermabrasion and loved the way my skin felt after both steps. Could this be an option as "the exfoliation" step?

Here are some of the products that I am considering so far: (my goal is to get at least 2 products - to work in synergy for optimal results)

- Cellex-C 2 Step Starter kit for Sensitive Skin (because it's lower concentrate Vit C to start off with - and because it's cheaper Razz )

or

- PSF (this line looks nice) Firming Facial Toner and Emergen-C Repair Serum. And maybe HA Serum.
Would I use PSF HA with the Emergen-C serum? Or instead of?

- The Cellular Skin Rx line is a bit pricey for me at this time.

- What about Dr. Hauschka? I like the sound of the moisturizers - especially the Rose Day Cream. Would/could these be used after applying Vit C serum? I assume I still need a moisturizer after the Serum(s).
I am thinking of getting the "Daily Face Care Kit": contains trial sizes of Cleansing Cream, Cleansing Milk, Facial Toner, Moisturizing Day Cream, Rose Day Cream and Quince Day Cream

Is there anything I should avoid in a moisturizer if I'm using toner/serums that contain Vit C/AHA/glycolic acid/retin-A?

- For exfoliators, as stated above, I really like Mario Badescu and Mary Kay. Haven't really looked into new exfoliators yet.

Thank you in advance!!!

41, mature dry skin, somewhat sensitive. Blue eyes, brown hair, fair to medium skin. Areas of concern: loss of elasticity & definition, sagging skin/jowls, neck, deep lip lines, broken capillaries on nose and cheeks, crepiness on eyelids. Less of a concern: photodamage, wrinkles around eyes and outer cheeks, darkness under eyes
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:13 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |