Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
massage
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
I've been having a soar back lately and since my birthday is comming up i decided to treat myself to a nice massage at the spa. I've never had a massage before so i am wondering about the different types of Massages. They have Deep tissue, stone massage, swedish massage etc. What is the difference between them?
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
Deep tissue is what it sounds like--they kind of knead deeply into your muscles.

Stone massage would be my vote for pampering yourself--they usually use warm/hot smooth rocks and put them on your back, then massage you.

Swedish massage is much gentler, with kind of stroking motions, as opposed to the deeper kneading of deep tissue.

If you google, I'm sure you can find better descriptions.

However--I would recommend NOT having the massage the same day you're going out for your big night out. Massages, especially if you're new to them, can be very tiring.

Kind of counterintuitive, right? I mean, you're just laying there and someone else is pampering you... but they can sometimes leave you very tired. Also, massages often help you release toxins, so it's not that uncommon to not feel 100% afterwards. Not to scare you off--it's just happened to people I know.

Make sure and drink plenty of water afterwards.

Also--is your back sore from hunching at your keyboard or working out too much? Or is it sore in that "injured" kind of way?

My very first massage was by a sports massage lady recommended by my doctor about a month after I sprained my back. Unfortunately, I think it relaxed me a little too much b/c I had a back spasm about 12 hours later that lasted 18 hours and was the absolute worst experience of my life! (My mother had one years ago and said it was even worse than giving birth!)

So... this is all a very longwinded post to say:
1) I recommend the hot stone massage for pampering yourself--it's the most enjoyable of the types to me
2) Make sure you tell the masseuse where you've been sore
3) Drink lots of water and rest afterwards

And Happy Birthday!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 08, 2006 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
thanks tularyn,
My sore back is caused by hunching too much because i usually spend my days in front of the computer or in school studying, carrying my backpack.
Also i'll try not to book my massage the same day i'll be going out celebrating. Smile
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 09, 2006 2:14 am      Reply with quote
If it's your first time.. definitely go for a gentle one.. because they can leave you feeling very 'bruised' afterwards.. and dead tired too especially if you have been having tension in the back. I totally agree with the not feeling 100% thing.. I get regular chiropractic adjustments which are in a way 'massage in one swift movement' and they leave me feeling drained afterwards.

Osteopathic/manipulative massage is nice.. they actually massage the spine/neck and focus on areas that have tension rather than go for the whole works. They may also do light adjustments, aligning the vertebrae..

But I think you will feel reall light after the second day or so, try to have a hot bath afterward the massage.

(if they weren't so expensive here, I'd be going for one at least twice a week.. although I was warned to not go overboard, yes you can have too much massage!)
maddy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 09, 2006 4:19 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
My sore back is caused by hunching too much because i usually spend my days in front of the computer or in school studying, carrying my backpack.

This happened to me too and has resulted in chronic back pain. Be careful carrying that schoolbag.
My favourite is remedial massage- it doesn't hurt but it feels like they are doing something. I hope you enjoy it. Massage has to be one of my favourite things ever Very Happy . Not sure what one out of your list would be most similar- ? Maybe check with the spa people?

Good luck- I am sure you will love it.
[/quote]
pustekuchen
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 09, 2006 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
BC girl,

from one vancouverite to another, if you're looking for a place to get your massage i have a GREAT reccomendation for you.

i went to this woman about a month ago and she's AWESOME.

it did great things for my "student back"
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 09, 2006 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
pustekuchen,

can u tell where it is?
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
pustekuchen wrote:
BC girl,

from one vancouverite to another, if you're looking for a place to get your massage i have a GREAT reccomendation for you.

i went to this woman about a month ago and she's AWESOME.

it did great things for my "student back"

I'd like some suggestions on where to go Smile
pustekuchen
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
i'll send a pm Smile
alice~in~wonderland
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 10, 2006 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
my preference is deep tissue or sports massage. But it really depends what you want out of a rub - I started out with deep tissue for my back (yes, me too, get stress in between the shoulders). That in conjunction with some back exercises my physio gave me, within 6-8 weeks, my back became a lot better and I have been able to control the "stress" in that area ever since! Razz

Now we're working on my hips (specifically my gluteus medius anterior muscle is extremely tight). Sadly, it will not be such a quick response, but we're slowly but surely getting there!!

Oh and like tularyn says - drink lots o'water after the massage! It's amazing how thirsty you can get.
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 11, 2006 8:57 am      Reply with quote
pustekuchen.

Thx for your prompt reply. Very Happy
pustekuchen
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 11, 2006 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
no problem!

if you decide to go to her, i hope you have a wonderful experience!
Rose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 11, 2006 8:35 pm      Reply with quote
Has any one got bacterial infection from massage? My first ever massage landed me with bacterial infection on my lower back. It was only a back massage for 30 minutes. A few days after the massage, one bump started to show up in my lower back. I thought it was a little pimple, so I did not do anything about it. A few days later, I got more bumps. The problem continues and I had to go to see a dermatologist. The dermatologist said that it was folliculitis and put me on antibiotics and topical gel.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 11, 2006 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
^ i've never heard of anybody getting an infection from massages. I've heard of people getting infections from pedacures.
Rose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
I can imagine why pedicure will transmit infection. One time the pedicure lady accidentally made my toe bleed. I did not want to soak my foot back in the bath after the cut. I just asked her to rinse it.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 19, 2006 8:45 am      Reply with quote
I love deep tissue message and get them about once a month. I feel very relaxed for days after. If you're not a massage regular you should discuss your tender areas with your provider in detail. You want to feel good after (maybe some good sore) but not achy for days.

I've never tried the hot stone message although my spa offers it. Do they continue to work your body after laying the stones on? I just haven't tried it because I thought that it would give you less contact time.
yaling111
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:09 pm      Reply with quote
Deep tissue,- break down the fatty deposit tissue, is quite painful.
stone massage,- remove the toxic
swedish massage - very relax massage
Olyn
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:48 pm      Reply with quote
My favorite kind of massage is Reiki massage. I have had a few different kinds, but once I had Reiki I don't think I'll ever get any other kind!
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:13 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |