Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Foundation Color
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 11:52 am      Reply with quote
How Do you girls choose your foundation color? Do you match your face or neck? Question Question Question

Non-Asian SA always chooses the color that matches my face but Asian SA always chooses the color that matches my neck.

My face is darker than my neck. TIA.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 11:56 am      Reply with quote
I'm currently using MAC studio fix and concealer. I let the sales person pick my colour. I use the NC30 shade (I'm asian).
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
My face used to be ever so slightly darker than my neck and I always matched foundation to my neck. So I would say match it to your neck. If there is a big difference between your face and neck color as opposed to just a minor difference then I don't know what would be the best option. HTH
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
I saw Iman on tv a couple of weeks ago and she says to choose your foundation, put a stripe of it on your jawline. I did this with samples and got five stripes on one side. The one that disappears is your color. I did this in my bathroom under indoor lighting and then went into my other bathroom to see it in natural lighting. The colors that were wrong for me actually changed colors while the one that disappeared stayed unnoticeable in both conditions. HTH
Debra
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 12, 2006 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
I do the jawline-thing too. My face is a bit darket than my neck, too. And my skin tone appears to be funky or something, because every MA I've seen to match foundation has a difficult time. Every one of them, professional to novice, take one look at me and declare me "warm." But anything with a tinge of yellow looks horrid on my skin. Plus, since using excellent skin care products, my skin has lightened two shades of Estee Lauder Re-Nutriv foundation! I'm wearing the lightest one now.
Back to topic.....
Now I save MA's/SA's time and me the frustration and suggest they "stripe" a few light-neutral shades on my jawline down to my neck to decide which one is the best match and apply it to my whole face. Before I purchase a full size product, I ask for a sample container for two or three days supply to try at home. They've been happy to do this.

Sat May 13, 2006 5:48 am      Reply with quote
If the skin on your face is darker than your neck then it makes sense to match with your neck. It's an interesting question, I never really thought about it I just somehow match it without thinking Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 13, 2006 6:38 am      Reply with quote
I would definitely go with matching it to your jawline area.. there's nothing worse with makeup than the mask look! Sometimes the person wearing it doesn't even notice! I've given up on wearing any sort of heavy makeup because of this. I've had makeup match me perfect one day and then a week ore month later it's off. I figure just a little concealer and powder on me looks alot better than trying to put it on my whole face.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 13, 2006 8:37 am      Reply with quote
It is always good to buy foundation at the shops or counters but as yet no sales ladies can find the right color I like, either too dark or too white.

One thing I got to remind you gals not to order foundation from catalogue if you want to find the right color. If you do you will be disappointed and waste money.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 13, 2006 8:44 am      Reply with quote
jawline....then go outside and check it in normal light before purchasing. It should NEVER be tested on the hand/wrist.

5% products discount

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:10 am      Reply with quote
thanks for all the good tips.

J
andaman_gypsy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:15 am      Reply with quote
For some weird reason, my forehead is darker than the rest of my face and my neck so I choose the foundation to suit the color on my forehead. I tried the one that suited the rest of my face and neck, but my forehead just ended up looking even worse! I wear MAC NC30.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:09 am      Reply with quote
I ditto the jawline as well. Everywhere I've gone they have tested it there. If I'm testing myself though ... I always test on the top of my hand which seems like it wouldn't work (because my hand is probably a bit darker than my face), but it seems to work for me; I can tell right away if something will be too yellow on me.
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:47 am      Reply with quote
Yen wave I am NC30 too Very Happy

My face is actually lighter than my neck so if I match foundation to my face colour, I'd look like I am wearing the wrong foundation color that is twice as light as my neck! Very geisha-like, if you can imagine Confused

I suggest going with the jawline as well because it is usually the middle ground colour-wise between the face and neck. Also, apply foundation to your neck as well. HTH

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
my face color lighter than neck. I use two colors. NC30 on my side cheeks match to my neck, and NC20 on my central face and forehead. Transition is very important. I'm an asian.
waffle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
don't buy unless you can get a sample or smear it on your face and seriously inspect up close in natural light. Nothing sucks more than buying $40 foundation to discover it makes your pores look large, clogged, and orange.

I will not buy makeup at makeup counters without having used a sample first outside, the lights inside are very yellow and tend to be much more flattering and you won't notice the way it blends or sits on your skin.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
jawline for me too. I have to laugh that people still use their wrists. My writs are a completely different colour than my face/neck area... Laughing

I honestly usually just let the sales associate pick for me, and they always do the jawline...

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
One word from me..Prescriptives..
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hm, I think you should try a shade between your face and neck and make sure it's a sheer formula that won't look too off in either case. And maybe you should try some new skincare or a stronger sunscreen and try to get your face and neck to match?

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:08 am      Reply with quote
Great advice here. I'll simply add that getting a sample first to try at home after a sales person has chosen a shade for you is crucial. You have to be able to check your color in all kinds of light to know if it's right for you.
babygirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:24 am      Reply with quote
I couldnt find the correct shade of my foundation for months, its my beautician who chose one for me and it looks perfect! Ask the professional!!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:58 am      Reply with quote
Yen wrote:
I'm currently using MAC studio fix and concealer. I let the sales person pick my colour. I use the NC30 shade (I'm asian).

Hi Yen- You don't have problems with clogged pores or breakouts with these? How do you like studio fix compared to others that you have tried? Thanks.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:20 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |