Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Male Skin Help
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Pinhead
5% products discount

Sat May 13, 2006 11:32 am      Reply with quote
I need some help choosing some products to use on my face.

I'm fair skinned and I think I have sensitive/combination skin - if I wash or get any water on my skin, I get really dry, flaky/peeling skin (usually around my nose, forehead and my chin if I have stubble). But a few hours after washing, my skin gets really, really greasy.

I don't think my skin is in great condition - I don't get loads of spots (only some around my mouth a few days after shaving) but I do have noticeable pours on my forehead and have some red tones/marks here and there. I also get small bumps on my forehead that don’t turn into spots. They just stay as bumps and have a hard yellowish lump inside.

I shave but not every day. More like once or twice a week.

I'm looking for something to use on my skin to help get it in better condition.

A moisturiser and/or face wash?

I'm in the UK, so products I can get in the UK would be best.

Thanks,

Pinhead Bad Grin
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 13, 2006 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Heya

I have a guy cousin with the same skin problems as you... though he can't admit it Rolling Eyes

A suggestion for the dry/peeling skin... you could try rinsing your face with bottled spring water after washing your face with tap water... it just helps to rinse off the chemicals that could be causing the dryness (probably chlorine??). Another thing is, if you wash your face first thing in the morning, you should try letting your tap run for about 30 seconds.. I know it's a waste, but it's to flush all the heavy metals out of the pipe. (We are advised to do this here in NZ)

As for the oily skin... Do you use any products while you shave? (sorry so out of touch with shaving..) Sometimes using a gentler shaving cream or changing whatever cleanser you are using helps with sensitive combo skin.

I would recommend the Dr Hauschka range for oily skin. The cleansing cream, toner and revitalising mask will really help with oiliness and calming the skin. Since Dr H is a European brand, you can find it in most local health shops in the UK.

There are some cheaper 'knock-offs', all natural too, like Sante. I have been using some Henry Tianus products, they are a UK brand, really great for my oily sensitive skin.
Pinhead
5% products discount

Sat May 13, 2006 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply.

I was looking at Nivea for Men:

http://www.nivea.co.uk/frameset.php?content=/rp3/advice/advice_index.php

Extra Soothing Face Wash and Extra Soothing Moisturiser.

What are your thoughts on these?

I don't think shaving is the course of problems. I only shave once a week. When I shave, I usualy shave before bed time and use warm water and Gillette shaving gel. Splash cold water on my face atfer. Maybe use some after shave balm as well.

Pinhead Bad Grin
Pinhead
5% products discount

Sat May 13, 2006 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
Ooh, I was using a lot of Banana Boat Aloe Vera gel when I was in Australia and found this helped with my dry skin.

I did use it for some time once I was back in the UK but haven't for the last few years.

I was thinking of getting this:

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1043609

But I'm not sure if that is a solution.

P Bad Grin
Mabsy

Sat May 13, 2006 7:39 pm      Reply with quote
I take it that the peeling you get is without using a moisturiser?

My suggestion for you would be Dermalogica Oil Control Lotion, though you need to try a sample first to see if it is moisturising enough for the drier parts of your face and if your skin can handle the salicylic acid in it. It is slightly moisturising, but not too much, and the salicylic acid will help you with the spots and bumps. Best of all, Dermalogica is available in the UK *and* they are very good with samples. So, if you take yourself to a salon that sells Dermalogica you should be able to get a sample first before you buy it. It will last you a few days and by then you should be able to tell if it is suitable for your skin.

Also, as per usual, I'd strongly encourage you to use a sunblock during the day.

5% products discount

Sun May 14, 2006 5:36 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply.

I decided to order a few products before seeing yours! Sad

I've ordered:

REN - Mayblossom Balancing Facial Wash 150ml:
http://www.mankind.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=21665

Nickel - Bonne Gueule (Anti-Redness Treatment) 75ml:
http://www.mankind.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=21326

Fingers crossed these might help.

P Bad Grin
Mabsy

Sun May 14, 2006 5:52 am      Reply with quote
Great! I hope they work out for you. Let us know how you're going with them.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 14, 2006 8:08 am      Reply with quote
REN stuff's usually really good, pinhead, and it's natural so will hopefully not cause your skin further problems.

Best of luck!

BTW Do you think the spots around your mouth after shaving might even be ingrowing hairs?
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 14, 2006 8:55 am      Reply with quote
My male has followed the following skincare routine now for the last year and will not budge from it (we are in the UK too):

*Neal's Yard Honey & Orange Scrub (£13)
*Asda Clearoderm Deep Cleansing Facial Wash (£2)
*Witch Hazel to tone (about £2 from chemist)

Either:
*Nivia Visage Oil Free Moisturising Fluid ( £2 from Boots)
*Clinique Post-Shave Healer (£15 from Boots)

He uses all of the above daily.

5% products discount

Sun May 14, 2006 9:14 am      Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm almost 100% sure that the spots I get after shaving aren't from ingrowing hairs. They don't come up as bumps. They come up as different sized whiteheads :-& . They usualy go within a few days just by they selves.

Thanks for the list of products "your male" uses rosebud! Smile

If I don't get any good results from the products I'm getting, then I'll look into trying them.

I'm a bit unsure if I should use a face scrub. I've been using SircuitSkin Sir-Activ scrub on and off for a while now and I'm not sure if it's good for my skin or not.

Would a scrub make my skin worse if I'm quite sensitive?

P Bad Grin
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 14, 2006 9:22 am      Reply with quote
Oh I forgot to mention my male does have sensitive skin and he uses the face scrub every morning followed by the Face wash., it does help with ingrowing hairs.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 14, 2006 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
Pinhead wrote:
Hi,

I'm almost 100% sure that the spots I get after shaving aren't from ingrowing hairs. They don't come up as bumps. They come up as different sized whiteheads :-& . They usualy go within a few days just by they selves.

Thanks for the list of products "your male" uses rosebud! Smile

If I don't get any good results from the products I'm getting, then I'll look into trying them.

I'm a bit unsure if I should use a face scrub. I've been using SircuitSkin Sir-Activ scrub on and off for a while now and I'm not sure if it's good for my skin or not.

Would a scrub make my skin worse if I'm quite sensitive?

P Bad Grin

Those do sound like ingrown hairs. I get them on my legs sometimes. It happens when you go too long between shaves or exfoliating. I would definitely suggest using a scrub if you don't shave everyday, even if you have sensitive skin. My guy uses the Nivea for men line, and they have a great scrub (I have to admit, I've tried it before!). He has very sensitive skin, and this doesn't irritate him at all.
Pinhead
5% products discount

Tue May 16, 2006 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I've got SircuitSkin Sir-Active zeolyte purifying scrub. I do use it every so often. Maybe I should try using it every other day.

It's very nice but was quite exspensive!

My REN and NICKEL products arrived today... I also picked up a hair removal product - Moom for Men. So I'm going to wax my chest next week - I off to on holiday for two weeks and want to get rid of the odd few hairs I have! Very Happy

Pinhead Bad Grin
Mabsy

Wed May 17, 2006 2:34 am      Reply with quote
Pinhead wrote:
Hi,

I've got SircuitSkin Sir-Active zeolyte purifying scrub. I do use it every so often. Maybe I should try using it every other day.

I've got that scrub as well and I would suggest that you probably shouldn't use it more than twice a week, or at least use it *very* gently. It does seem fairly harsh. Don't forget that you need to leave this one on for a few minutes to do its work before you rinse it off.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 17, 2006 2:42 am      Reply with quote
The following shaving routine has TOTALLY eliminated all forms of bumps, nicks, and razor burn for my hubby:

1. cleanse/scrub using either Decleor mens exfoliating gel or Aramis Lab Series cleansing scrub

2. apply a glycolic cleanser (at the moment he has one by Anthony) and LEAVE IT ON (he also loves Aqua Glycolic cleanser)

3. apply a pre-shave oil (Decleor Aromessence is great but gets expensive if you use both pre and post shave, so at the moment he has one by JASON courtesy of Carrie)

4. apply shaving cream. His favs are: Decleor (cream type), Weleda, Origins, Lab Series (cream type) - he has also found since using a good-quality shaving brush he is getting better results

5. after shaving apply Decleor Aromessence oil

6. Final step Decleor After shave balm.

It might sound a pain, but the results are worth every extra second. It is second nature to him now and he feels odd if he is away from home and cannot do his full "routine".

Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:55 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |