Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sephora Question?

EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 15, 2006 5:38 pm      Reply with quote
Just curious as to why Sephora doesnt carry such a huge heavy-hitter like MAC (at least online anyway?) and why they have a department store line like Lancome, but not Prescriptives, Lauder, etc....

Gloss.com I think has MAC and Prescriptives....

If you can believe it, I've never stepped into a Sephora as there isn't one anywhere near me...unless I drove to Massachusetts, which I'm far too lazy to do, so I just order online.

I was just wondering how they choose the lines they carry...

I must have too much time on my hands to be asking such inane questions! Laughing

Maria

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 15, 2006 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
The closest Sephora to me is an 8-hour drive one way Crying or Very sad

I've only been in one while visiting my sister in So. California.

I've never been in retail but it could have to do with how much of the mark up Sephora would want.
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 15, 2006 8:32 pm      Reply with quote
I wondered that too. I wish they carried some of the other lines like Bobbie Brown, Prescriptives, etc. I would love it to be a "one-stop" shopping experience. I don't have any near me either Sad , so I order what I want online. I thought maybe it had something to do with licensing?
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 15, 2006 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
I think it may have more to do with the brands, and how they choose avenues of distribution. Sephora used to carry the bath and body line Jaqua (at least online-- no stores near me either), until Bath and Body Works (of which there are two near me) started carrying it. Jessica Simpson choose to only sell her Dessert Treats on Sephora and Walgreens, of all places. Sephora might carry those brands mentioned if they made Sephora a distributor.
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 2:33 am      Reply with quote
The Sephora in Paris on the Champs Elysées carries MAC.
DiverChick
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 5:11 am      Reply with quote
From an advertising perspective, many companies choose to sell their products at certain stores based on how they want people to perceive their brand. I deal with high end jewelry designers, who would never allow themselves to be seen in a department store, because it would tarnish their image and make them seem less desirable--more common. They also work that way with prices--never discount their jewelry or offers "sales." People usually think more expensive=better quality.
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 5:15 am      Reply with quote
Moonstarr wrote:
I wondered that too. I wish they carried some of the other lines like Bobbie Brown, Prescriptives, etc. I would love it to be a "one-stop" shopping experience. I don't have any near me either Sad , so I order what I want online. I thought maybe it had something to do with licensing?

I know, it would be great to have a one-stop shop -- for make-up anyway!!! Laughing I am a greedy pig when it comes to any new blush color, or lippie, or eyeshadow! There are some really good makeup lines out there these days!

It seems that our very own EDS has become a one-stop shop for me for skincare which is very exciting! There are very few skinproducts that I now have to go elsewhere for - that coupled with the amazing discount that EDS so generously offers us make it a no brainer! Laughing

Maria

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 5:24 am      Reply with quote
DiverChick wrote:
From an advertising perspective, many companies choose to sell their products at certain stores based on how they want people to perceive their brand. I deal with high end jewelry designers, who would never allow themselves to be seen in a department store, because it would tarnish their image and make them seem less desirable--more common. They also work that way with prices--never discount their jewelry or offers "sales." People usually think more expensive=better quality.
violetanne wrote:
Sephora might carry those brands mentioned if they made Sephora a distributor.
Exactly! Most of the time, it's not Sephora's choice but the actually cosmetic brands themselves who chose not to sign up with Sephora. They want to maintain their products 'mystique' and exclusivity, and there is a feeling now that Sephora is de-bunking or de-mystifying these cosmetic lines now that most major cities have at least one Sephora store.

In the case of MAC, so far they have decided to maintain their products availability in high-end department stores (Neimans, Nordstroms, Bloomies, Saks, etc), as well as a few MAC stores. For customers who don't have access to any of those, they'll relegated to having to order the products online -- again, maintaining the exclusive-ness of MAC.

It's bullshit, but that's the way they're playing the games. These product lines might decide to allow their stuff to be sold at certain "flagship" locations (i.e.: the big Sephora store in NYC and the location in Paris), but they're not going to let the smaller satellite stores distribute the products, as well.

ETA: Why don't we ask EDS to carry MAC, Bobbi Brown, etc? I know MAC is a Canadian company so you wouldn't think there would be any probs in allowing them to become a certified distributor. I'd like to see EDS carry Anastasia of Beverly Hills products too, so the rest of you can discover how superior her tweezers and other brow products are to Tweezerman, too!

Tue May 16, 2006 6:01 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
ETA: Why don't we ask EDS to carry MAC, Bobbi Brown, etc? I know MAC is a Canadian company so you wouldn't think there would be any probs in allowing them to become a certified distributor. I'd like to see EDS carry Anastasia of Beverly Hills products too, so the rest of you can discover how superior her tweezers and other brow products are to Tweezerman, too!

I think Anastasia might be easier if EDS wanted to stock it (and Anastasia wanted to be stocked Smile) but MAC is now owned by Estee Lauder so I doubt there is much chance of that one happening....

Still, EDS is becoming more and more of a "one stop shop" for me as they keep adding brands recently. Yay!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 6:06 am      Reply with quote
Could it have anything to do with the fact that MAC, Bobbi Brown, Prescriptives are all owned by Estee Lauder? I may be wrong but I *think* Gloss.com was started by Estee Lauder so it's not likely they'd want their lines to be sold on Sephora.com. Stila, before its recent sale was an exception.

Here in Canada Laura Mercier seems to have an exclusive deal with Holt Renfrew as you can't order it through Sephora. Crying or Very sad
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 6:09 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
carekate wrote:

I think Anastasia might be easier if EDS wanted to stock it (and Anastasia wanted to be stocked Smile) but MAC is now owned by Estee Lauder so I doubt there is much chance of that one happening....

Still, EDS is becoming more and more of a "one stop shop" for me as they keep adding brands recently. Yay!

gulp! now i'm feeling extremely guilty.... i spoke with Anastasia herself about stocking on EDS (she's the *only* one i let touch my eyebrows) and she gave me the name of her business manager. if my stupid BF Wink hadn't showed up, i would have followed through. damn! guess a long distance call may be in order....

edited to add: oh, and she told me her brow gel will be coming out with a growth formula (like Ardell) soon
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 6:16 am      Reply with quote
stardust wrote:
Could it have anything to do with the fact that MAC, Bobbi Brown, Prescriptives are all owned by Estee Lauder?
That could very well be! I don't know if this is acurate, but someone here mentioned that Skinceuticals had been bought out by Estee Lauder which is why EDS wasn't carrying it anymore. If that is the case, then I reckon we'll be SOL about getting EDS to carry MAC, BB, et al. Damn!!

But I definitely need to add Anastasia to the "Requests" thread because her stuff is fab! I'm SO jealous that Cam gets her brows done by the lady herself! (wheres the emoticon for 'envy'???)

Tue May 16, 2006 6:19 am      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
gulp! now i'm feeling extremely guilty.... i spoke with Anastasia herself about stocking on EDS (she's the *only* one i let touch my eyebrows) and she gave me the name of her business manager.

Well, I'm only speculating about this based on previous comments by Caspers Mum - i.e. anything by Estee Lauder is very difficult. Smaller ones should be easier but, obviously, both parties must be able to see value in the arrangement.

Carekate - count me in with the jealous ones!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 6:26 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
But I definitely need to add Anastasia to the "Requests" thread because her stuff is fab! I'm SO jealous that Cam gets her brows done by the lady herself! (wheres the emoticon for 'envy'???)

please do! that way Anastasia's rep won't get the 'who are you?' when she contacts EDS.

i meant to clarify that her brow gel was like Ardell, but so much better. it seems to add a gloss and sheen to them that just highlights the whole area.

as for the lady herself, well, she's just awesome! love her to death, even when she gives me that delicious half smirk when she sees how badly my brows have grown out in 3 months Laughing . much as i love her tweezers as well, i'm just inept at keeping her artistry. and, yes, you should eat your heart out -- she's THAT good!!!
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 6:36 am      Reply with quote
la vie en rose wrote:
i meant to clarify that her brow gel was like Ardell, but so much better. it seems to add a gloss and sheen to them that just highlights the whole area.
Out of curiosity, can it also be used on lashes? I might have to put that in my basket when I go to Sephora on Friday to get my Guerlain LipLift.... Very Happy Is it sad and pathetic that I am on a first-name basis with all the SAs at my Sephora? When I come in, they know to steer clear of my because I've got my list and I know exactly what I want to buy so there's no use hovering, thinking they can sucker me into an 'impulse' buy! But they also shower samples on me whenever I step up to the counter. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 6:47 am      Reply with quote
P.S.
la vie en rose wrote:
Oh, wait a second – I think I might have gotten a tube of the brow gel when I got my 7-piece Anastasia kit. Dang it, now I’m going to wonder about it all day until I can get home and check it out! Confused

Out of curiosity again, how much does a visit w/ the brow guru cost? (yes, I can be shamelessly rude!)

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 6:56 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
stardust wrote:
Could it have anything to do with the fact that MAC, Bobbi Brown, Prescriptives are all owned by Estee Lauder?
That could very well be! I don't know if this is acurate, but someone here mentioned that Skinceuticals had been bought out by Estee Lauder which is why EDS wasn't carrying it anymore. If that is the case, then I reckon we'll be SOL about getting EDS to carry MAC, BB, et al. Damn!!

Skinceuticals was actually bought by Loreal but what you say about Estee Lauder being very "exclusive" with their distribution rings true with me. A while back I was considering the Darphin range which is now owner by Estee Lauder and called a store close to where I live that was listed on the Darphin website. The store said that they no longer carried Darphin and when I asked if it had to do with Darphin being owner by EL they said yes!!
la vie en rose
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 8:58 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
Out of curiosity again, how much does a visit w/ the brow guru cost? (yes, I can be shamelessly rude!)

i know no shame.... $55 for the first visit, $45 for clean-ups (you can guess how much i pay every visit Laughing ). she's booked up a few months in advance, so the only way to see her (unless you're really anal) is to go in at least an hour before she gets there and be her first walk-in otherwise the wait can be two to four hours. seriously! and she's actually worth the time and the money -- well, for me anyways. no one has *ever* made my brows look anything close to the elegance she achieves. she keeps them thick (rather than the plucked chicken look that has happened to me far to many times) yet manages to give them a je ne sais quoi along with a delicate arch (as much as is possible with my straight thick brows).

as for using the brow stuff on your lashes, i don't know. my lashes are pretty puny, so mascera is one of the few things i'll put on regardless. i've been out of the gel for awhile (yes, i forgot to pick another up), but from what i remember it gave you almost a 'wet look.' i definitely think it's worth a try on your lush blue-black lashes!
duffie
5% products discount

Mon May 22, 2006 7:28 am      Reply with quote
did you all hear that jcpenny stores will soon have a sephora store inside?

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 9:26 am      Reply with quote
duffie wrote:
did you all hear that jcpenny stores will soon have a sephora store inside?

I did some reading online and this sounds exciting! The closest Sephora to me is over two hours away. At first, however, they are only putting the scaled back Sephoras in the NEW JC Penneys stores. Those of use with older, already existing Penneys will likely have to cross our fingers and hope our store is one of the 1,000 older stores to get a Sephora in 2008 (at least that's what all the articles I read conveyed).

I also read the Penneys franchise will start running sephora.com as well.
thatgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 9:43 am      Reply with quote
[quote="violetanne"][quote="duffie"]did you all hear that jcpenny stores will soon have a sephora store inside?[/quote]

I did some reading online and this sounds exciting! The closest Sephora to me is over two hours away. At first, however, they are only putting the scaled back Sephoras in the NEW JC Penneys stores. Those of use with older, already existing Penneys will likely have to cross our fingers and hope our store is one of the 1,000 older stores to get a Sephora in 2008 (at least that's what all the articles I read conveyed).

I also read the Penneys franchise will start running sephora.com as well.[/quote]

I wonder if their return policy etc will change online then????
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
Is she the one that was on Oprah today?

She was pretty good.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
stardust wrote:

I think you've got the answer right there!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 8:13 am      Reply with quote
I just wanted to add that Sephora is owned by LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton, which also owns: Guerlain, Christian Dior, Bliss, Fresh, BeneFit, list goes on...

I can understand if Estee Lauder companies and Sephora don't play nice.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 9:44 am      Reply with quote
I just made a list of some of the names owned by certain companies. I live in canada and we have a Holt Renfrew and we have a few of cosmetics lines owned by Estee lauder.

ESTEE LAUDER- Aramis, Clinique, Aveda, Prescriptives, Origins, M·A·C, La Mer, Bobbi Brown, Tommy Hilfiger, Donna Karan, Stila, Jo Malone, Darphin, Michael Kors, Rodan + Fields, American Beauty, Flirt!, good skinTM, grassrootsTM and Donald Trump, The Fragrance.

SHISEIDO- Decléor, NARS Cosmetics, Joico Laboratories, Piidea Canada, Zotos, Quantam, Senscience, Bain De Terre, ISO.

L'OREAL- L'Oreal Paris, Garnier, Maybelline, Lancome, Helena Rubenstein, Cacharel, Kerastese, Vichy, Redken, Matrix, Kiehl's, BioMedic
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:45 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Donell Super Skin Brightening Cream (1 oz) StriVectin Anti-Wrinkle Duo (2 items) Babor Spa Mediterranee Eau de Toilette & Shower Gel Duo (2 items)