Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Review: surprise rave for Burt’s Bees Orange Facial Cleanser
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 8:17 am      Reply with quote
Just to be completely clear, the actual name of the product is Burt’s Bees “Orange Essence Facial Cleanser” but it wouldn’t fit in the subject line. Here’s the official buzz (no pun!) on this product:

Our award winning facial cleanser gently removes all traces of dirt, oil, make up and pollutants while moisturizing and conditioning the skin.

• 100% Natural
• Not tested on animals
• This gentle and moisturizing cleanser is especially effective on sensitive and normal to dry complexions.
• Natural cleansers and emollients leave your face radiantly clean and replenished without the parched tight feeling associated with harsh, synthetic cleansers or detergent-like soaps.

Directions for use:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wash hands and apply cleanser to wet or dry face and throat. With fingertips or wet washcloth, massage gently into skin in a circular motion to loosen dirt and makeup. Remove with warm washcloth and pat dry. For best results, follow with your favorite Burt's Bees exfoliant, toner and moisturizer.

Ingredients:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vegetable Glycerin, Olive Oil, Orange Oil, Oat Flour, Lanolin, Oat Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Vegetable Oil & Beta-carotene, Tocopheral (Vitamin E), Quillaja Extract (*see product details), Rosemary Leaf Oil

*(from ingredient list) Quillaja is derived from the Chilean endemic tree Quillaha saponaria. It is used as a natural soap, cleanser, and foaming agent and contains antioxidants and proteins.

I got a sample of this as part of an MUA swap and I was actually quite stunned to discover that I loved it! I would have to say it fits in the same category as products like DHCC or Jurlique Face Wash Cream and/or using OCM, although in terms of ingredients the Orange Essence cleanser is definitely more akin to OCM. I was actually a bit afraid to use it as the label states it's better suited for normal-to-dry or sensitive skins because I thought it might be too "heavy" for my already greasy hide!

Also, it seems to get mixed reviews on MUA, but I believe the bad reviews can be attributed to the fact that the users are A) either not reading and comprehending the useage instructions (i.e.: you absolutely, postively MUST remove it with a warm, wet washcloth because it won't just rinse away!), or B) unable to overcome the initial disbelief and acceptance of the 'fight fire with fire' mentality and not dismiss the concept of cleansing one's skin using oil is a complete oxymoron, but I know everyone *here* has learned to suspend their initial disbelief and misgivings to overcome these negative thoughts and are willing to be open-minded about trying new things....

As for me, after I tried it the first evening, I liked it so much that I went out and bought a full-size tube! I have to admit that I personally prefer using the OCM method for deep-cleaning my face and remove dirt and makeup, over using DHCC simply because I find it to be a pain in the ass to rinse off the little almond chunks....It takes a lot of rinsing and splashing to get it all off and I invariably end up flooding the entire bathroom countertop around the sink whereby I have to move and rearrange the over-a-dozen bottles and tubes and potions around the counter in order to towel up the mess. Maybe I'm just lazy, but it's too much of a hassle and I didn't have much better luck with the Jurlique Face Wash either.

Now, you have to bear in mind that up until the point that I joined this forum, I was one of those women who rarely bothered to wash my face at night (but only b/c I use mineral makeup and knew it wasn't likely to cause problems to sleep in it over night -- back when I used the old fashioned greasy foundations, I washed my face twice a day no matter how tired I was) so I want my routine to be as simple as possible.

Also, because the excess little almond paste bits (or chunks of dried flowers, in the case of the Jurlique FWC) have a tendency to fall off in little bits, I had to make sure I was standing over the sink when I used DHCC so as not to make a mess and leave a trail of almond bits in my wake. Because of this, I would rush through the procedure and probably not knead-and-press nearly long enough to be ultimately beneficial because my back would begin to ache as I leaned over the sink (the same thing happens at the kitchen sink when I wash dishes -- obviously the builders of my house decided to install 'facilities' better suited to a person less than 5-foot tall! Rolling Eyes ).

While I found the OCM a *lot* easier to use because I could sit there and watch TV or whatever while I massaged the oils into my skin, I still didn't utilize this method as often as I should have to achieve maximum benefits because I was too lazy to concoct a fresh batch of my optimum oil mixture each evening (and never quite got around to buying a nice little pump bottle dispenser so I could pre-make a large batch of my oil-blend because I'm always too busy mixing up a bottle of this or a batch of that my everyone else! Embarassed ).

So I LOVE the idea of just being able to squeeze a bit of this cleanser from the tube (note: you need to shake or knead the tube first because the oils have a tendency to separate from the 'stiffer' ingredient/s so at first a bit of excess oil will come out before the actual cleanser if you don't knead or shake the tube for a couple of seconds before dispensing) and sit in front of the idiot box and spread it over my face and just massage it all around. Last night, I was so absorbed in the episode of "CSI: Miami" that I realized I'd been massaging my face for nearly 20 minutes and I have to say that it felt absolutely divine!

And the consistency of the product is such that I don't have to worry about the bits of almond flaking off or that I might accidentally tip one of the the bottles of OCM oil over and making a mess, or any accidental drips of oil falling down onto my shirt or nightgown. It's also not contigent upon whether or not your able to properly master the knead-and-press technique so first-timers can get the hang of it right off the bat!

If you like oranges, the scent of this cleanser is absolutely divine -- like having a freshly squeezed glass of OJ sitting right in front of you. Although it does contain rosemary EO, you don't really notice any note of that at all in the scent and the stuff actually smells good enough to eat although I haven't quite been brave enough yet to sneak a taste to see if it lives up to the delicious scent!

In addition to removing all traces of dirt, oil and makeup (how do I know? Because the cotton pad with which I applied my ACV super toner afterwards was still snowy white and showed no traces of dirt or makeup that got left behind which I normally see when I just use my Jurlique Foaming Cleanser in the evenings.), because you massage this product over your skin in the manner of DHCC or OCM cleansing, you get the benefit that "suction" action that will pull the clogging debris right out of your pores!

As with using OCM, the smoothness of the Orange Essence cleanser makes it easy to notice when the "plugs" have been removed from your pores because you can actually feel the little b*stards while you're massaging your face because all of the sudden it will feel like there is a bit of grit that got onto your face and stuck in the cleanser but it's actually the little blackhead plugs. It's an odd realization at first, but you quickly get over it and become secretly gratified that you were able to get that gunk out of your pores without having to scratch or squeeze them as used to be the only method of extraction previously available to you, or so you thought before joining this forum!!

You know how the fabled "T-zone" is supposed to be the oiliest areas on everyone's face? Well, believe it or not, that is actually the section of my face that is the most "normal," bordering on extremely sensitive! I've mentioned in the past that while my skin naturally is extremely oily (although I've thankfully found a way to peacefully coexist with it thanks to discovering this forum and subsequently finding the magic combination of products to help keep the greasies at bay), I'm paradoxically also a bit sensitive in areas -- specifically the skin right around my nose and on the tip/nostril area and sometimes just under my eyebrows on the browbone area where you'd traditionally apply some sort of a highlighter product to give your eyes a little bit of a boost, although I think this is caused by the fact that I usually use my regular cleanser (i.e.: Yonka Nettoyant Gel, Phytomer Purifying Cleansing Gel or my current love, Jurlique Foaming Cleanser) to remove my eye makeup and it's probably too harsh for that delicate area.

Anyway, back to the point (don't you just love my rambling reviews?!): I love the fact that when I get one of those icky dry, flaky areas -- the ones on the tip of my nose are the absolute WORST because the dried, dead skin flakes resemble dried buggers Shock when viewed from a distant so I'm sure people think I'm disgusting because it looks like I haven't wiped my nose carefully enough Embarassed I *know* you know what I'm talking about because everyone gets it from blowing their noses too hard/often when they have a bad cold.

But I can just put a bit of the Orange Essence cleanser on the area and leave it on overnight and when I wake up the scaly patches are GONE and clear, smooth skin is left in its place (note: as a result of this discovery, I've been testing it out on those horrid red scaly patches of extra dry skin on my legs to see if it will help them as well -- click here for more about that particular on-going battle: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=4411&highlight=red+scaly+patches Hmmm, I just now experienced a flash of total clarity and suddenly realized the ultimate irony that my face is so hyper-oily while the rest of my skin suffers from bouts of extreme dryness. I wonder if that means that God put all of my sebum glands in my face and forgot to leave any leftover for the rest of my body...?).

<Okay, CareKate, stay on task!>

The only "downfall" I have with this product is the fact that I'm probably going to need to alter my routine a bit to cut back my current daily useage of my beloved DHSBSSFM (combo homemade AHA/BHA mask) because my skin felt a tad bit raw (although there was no actual redness) when I got out of the shower the morning after I used the Orange Essence cleanser for the first time and used my DHSBSSFM the next morning as per my usual routine because it was a bit too much exfoliation for even my thick rhinoceros hide to take!

This shouldn't be a problem because when using the Orange Essence cleanser, you're actually getting the benefit of both a manual exfoliation (i.e.: the warm, wet washcloth with which you will remove the cleanser from your face) AND an enzymatic exfoliation in the form of the citrus ingredients in the cleanser which provides beta-hydroxy action.

It's been over a week now and the more I use it this stuff, the better I like it. Even though the label says it's best suited to those with normal-to-dry and/or sensitive skin, I've found it to be quite lovely on my grease-pit of a face: it keeps it feeling soft, smooth and hydrated, without feeling oily or leaving any residue (provided you follow the instructions and remove it with a warm wet washcloth -- if you just try to rinse it off by splashing your face, you'll be there all night and will probably still won't be able to remove it all, I can't stress that enough: removing this cleanser with the warm, wet washcloth is NOT optional!!).

This is wonderful news, because my fellow oily-skin sufferers know that there is a fine line between over-moisturizing and under-moisturizing, either of which can send the dreaded sebum glands into overdrive! Of course, the biggest test is in what condition will my skin be in the morning: will I wake up with an oil slick or will my skin still feel smooth and clean? Thankfully, it is the latter so I feel confident that this product can be used by any skin-type.

I can almost read all y'alls minds, wanting to know if it causes any breakouts? I have to be honest and admit that I'm fortunate enough not to suffer from acne and rarely experience any pimples or T.O.M. breakouts but sometimes if I use a product that is too "rich," I'll wake up the next morning with a few tiny little bumps -- mostly on my nose or along my chin. This happened to me one night when I decided to sleep in a thin layer of the Got2B "all mashed up" mask: I woke up the next morning with tiny little eruptions all along those "fault lines" but I am delighted to report that that has *not* been the case with the Orange Essence cleanser -- there have been no bumps or breakouts whatsoever!

I love applying a thin layer of this stuff to my face after using a strong exfoliating mask/peel and/or clay mask and leaving it on overnight to soothe and hydrate my skin. I used to do this with my beloved Dermalogica Multi-Vitamin Power Recovery mask, but I ran out of it ages ago and never got around to buying another tube...now I guess I don't need to since the Orange Essence performs the same task at less than a fraction of the price! Smile

Note for my fellow DIYers:
-----------------------------------
I'm thinking it would probably be fairly easy to make a homemade version of this, although I haven't tried to duplicate the formula yet because it's not too terribly expensive at around $10USD for a tube that ought to last about 3-4 months (it's definitely more economical than true DHCC which is $20 a pop and you go thru about a tube every 4 weeks!). If enough members express an interest in getting a recipe, I'll see if I can come up with something in the next couple weeks otherwise I'll probably wait until I finish out my first tube.

I *am* perplexed by the fact that this cleanser contains all oil-soluable ingredients EXCEPT for the aloe, because it specifically states that it contains aloe JUICE which is water-based and not the concentrated oil soluable aloe extract (available from the Personal Formulator) that I am used to using in my body products and moisturizes unless this "Quillaja Extract" has emulsifying properties because I can't understand how they got the aloe juice to 'marry' with the oil-based ingredients without obvious ingredient separation (unless that is what I am mistaking for liquid oil separation when I mentioned that you need to knead the tube first).

Anyhoo, I'm going to have to give this product a big thumbs up and I think I'm going to get another tube of it for my mom to go with her bottle of Emu oil (she rubs it into her hands to relieve her arthritis) and the new BE "Rare Minerals Skin Revival Treatment" product that Hollywood twisted my arm to buy as a result of her rave review as part of her Mother's Day present....

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 9:12 am      Reply with quote
Shock WOW what a review, you do realise that we are going to be running out to purchase this now!! Laughing
I would love to try the homemade version Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 9:57 am      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:
Shock WOW what a review, you do realise that we are going to be running out to purchase this now!! Laughing

That's exactly what I want to say too!
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 10:28 am      Reply with quote
I love citrus scented products, and this sounds like it really delivers the goods (and for a reasonable cost, no less)! Thanks for another excellent review...my local health food store (Wild Oats) carries the entire Burt's Bees line, so I'll definitely check this one out!

Mary Smile
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 11:40 am      Reply with quote
I think this is the longest review...ever!!! Thanks for sharing all of that lovely info...I'm soooo tempted to go out and buy a tube today!
doba
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for such detailed review!!!
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 3:14 pm      Reply with quote
AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Buying it right now, thx.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, this must be the longest review I have ever read... And my list of things to try just keeps growing... Rolling Eyes
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 4:45 pm      Reply with quote
I can't wait to try this now--- thank goodness it's so inexpensive!^-^

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
oooh I want to try this Smile I did OCM to by BF last night, I wanted him to have something to use at home (he's too lazy ofcourse to actually mix OCM) So this would be great! Smile

Have you tried DHC oil cleaning? Is it comparable?

Thanks carekate!! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 16, 2006 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
I have a tube of that cleanser at home too. I have oily skin but a couple of months ago...my chin/mouth area was flaking and I didn't know why. This cleanser helped to moisturize that area.
Mabsy

Wed May 17, 2006 3:00 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review Carrie! Now I need this Laughing Rolling Eyes

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 17, 2006 3:50 am      Reply with quote
You guys are so lucky that you can easily pop out and buy this!!! I am so far away and it costs a fortune to send these sorts of things down under Sad
Best of luck with it, Carekate - you can tell you use your ability to "influence" on a daily basis!!
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 17, 2006 7:04 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the review, Carrie. Now I'll have to look for this. Love orange scents. Smile
tammymamtam
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 20, 2006 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
its funny i have had this stuff for ages where i work and bought it but never used it. its in my makeup bag. now i cant wait to try it tonight! thanks
Olivia
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 21, 2006 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
I have used this cleanser in the past and I must say...I loved it as well. I may need to buy this again after I use up some of my cleansers. Thanks for the review...I had forgotten all about this stuff.
prs
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
Um WOW Very Happy I will be buying this tomorrow. Carekate, you are one amazing woman!!!!!!
Elfie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
Just bought it at drugstore.com for $8.49, can't wait to try it.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
I've never used this, but my sister uses it on her (very) oily skin and she loves it.
Harmonster
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 10:02 am      Reply with quote
I used this for the first time last night and I was surprised! I put in on my dry face (it says you can do it on a wet face also) and it was very thick and tacky feeling at first until it warmed up to my skin. This pulled out at least 6 plugs (shocking!) whereas OCM might get one or two... and it smells soooo much better! So far A+!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 10:09 am      Reply with quote
Wow! Harmonster, when you say it pulled out plugs, do you mean by just massaging it in, or also by creating suction?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 2:59 pm      Reply with quote
They were flyin' off my skin like hotcakes! (Does that phrase even work there? Lol) Like I said, the Orange Essence Cleanser is very tacky feeling, so perhaps that helps it grab onto the plugs or something. Either way within the first minute of massaging I had several out, whereas with OCM it takes me quite a while to get out even one. If it doesn't break me out I'm totally hooked!

Also, I think the people on MUA are confused because the packaging of the OEC says that you can just rinse it off. I agree with carekate, you should use a washcloth and get that gunk off of your skin completely. Smile

And carekate: It tastes fine. I accidentally got some on my lip! Mmmm... oranges.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
It sounds lovely but I won't use orange oils (unless it's specifically stated that the oil is distilled, not cold pressed) Cold pressed bitter orange is especially photosensitizing.

http://www.essentialoils.co.za/sun-sensitivity.htm

From the Burt's Bees website, the orange essence cleanser page:
"ORANGE OIL - Obtained by expressing the cold, fresh peel of the orange tree. Orange oil reduces puffiness and discourages dry wrinkled skin. Both the oil and the peel are used to stimulate circulation, clear blemishes, and increase perspiration.'

http://www.burtsbees.com/
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 8:43 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
Thanks for the review Carrie! Now I need this Laughing Rolling Eyes
I gotta you covered -- I'll be sending you a new parcel of stuff in "retaliation" for the latest surprise you sent me, which'll have a sample of this included! Very Happy

ETA: it's been two weeks now and I'm still loving this stuff as much as I did on Day 1!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 8:49 am      Reply with quote
That was an iteresting link Lolli! Smile Just a thought though, vitamin C makes us photosensitive too right, could there be bergaptene in vitamin c too? I dunno what I am saying Smile

But this cleanser sounds lovely, maybe you guys should just wear sunscreen Smile

Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:10 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |