Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

TOO damn pale!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 17, 2006 6:07 pm      Reply with quote
So I've been obsessively avoiding the sun for about a year now (before that I used to get tan occasionally -- would love walking around on a sunny day without sunblock and getting a little glow).

I know my skin is healthier and this is good for me in the long run, but holy god, I am SOOOOO pale. I've gotten comments about it. I can't stand myself in pictures... I'm white as a ghost. I'm always, without a doubt, the palest in the room. It's just what my skin is like...this is the way I used to look in the dead of winter, and now I just look that way all the time. I'm starting to remember why I liked getting some occasional sun -- it made me look so much more vibrant and healthy.

Nothing is going to change the fact that I'm pale and now I'm old/wise enough to know to avoid the sun. But what can I DO here? And no offense to those of you who use fake tanning products, but I have yet to see one myself that looks natural or good (maybe just because the good ones aren't noticeable), so I'm very skeptical about taking that route. But what are my options? Is there anything that can give more of a glow? Foods I can eat? Just looking for some general direction here....
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 17, 2006 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
Pale is beautiful, baby!! I'm the palest woman I've ever met, and I wouldn't have it any other way. (And neither would my husband^-^) Still, I know what you mean about how you look in pictures, etc. What helps me a lot is using a light peachy-pink blush, and concentrating it on the apple of my cheeks, but then dusting a bit on other parts of my face too. HTH!!

5% products discount

Wed May 17, 2006 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
Blush! Blush makes a big difference when you're pale.

have you considered airbrush tanning? Airbrush solution often looks more natural than most products you see. You can buy your own solution online and mix it with lotion (the people on sunless.com were doing it before all the lotion companies scammed the idea) in a 3:1 ratio of lotion to airbrush solution. One brand I've used with good luck is Avivalabs (www.aviva.com) and I got a great natural brown color from it.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 17, 2006 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
How about using some bronzer?
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 17, 2006 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
Pale is beautiful on some people.

I know what you mean about the self tanners. I mean it just seems like so much work for such short lasting results. Having to exfoliate everywhere and use it all over to make sure it is even and not blotchy. And then it only lasts a few days before you have to do it all over again. And the idea that the only thing changing color and adding the tanned look is dead skin cells is kind of weird, but eh the real deal is just that I'm such a low maintaince person. Maybe for a photo shoot or something....

I found something natural and healthy that gives my skin a bit of color and glow. Organic Virgin Red Palm Oil from West Africa. It's a little too red/orangish straight, so I'm going to get some organic jojoba oil to mix it with as a tinted moisterizer/bronzer. Laughing

Sorry, but I look better with color!
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 17, 2006 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
there is nothing wrong with being pale. It's rather funny because i get girls younger than me telling me how adorable i am to them because of my black hair and fair skin. I get many compliments about my creamy white complexion, and i, like you, am not a fan of the fake tan lotions out there...i suggest a nice blush that is good on cool tones..ive been using some on my cheeks and it really makes me glow:)

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 17, 2006 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not necessarily interested in bronzing my skin or drastically changing its color... I just want a bit of a "glow"... crap, am I going to have to get into makeup? Rolling Eyes
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 17, 2006 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
why yes, i think you will have to Smile

Thu May 18, 2006 1:02 am      Reply with quote
I think using a bronzer will give you that healthy glow. Either that or just use a tinted moisturiser Smile

Whichever way you want to go, Dr Hauschka has a lovely (and natural) liquid bronzer that you can apply by itself or mix in with moisturiser in order to make a tinted one Wink
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 3:59 am      Reply with quote
Janis, Jergens is a great natural self tan. I'm also very pale and I've tried so many self tans and this one is the best I've found so far. It's cheap, looks natural and is foolproof. It's supposed to be a gradual build up but I notice a difference after just one application. The only down side is it stinks like fake tan, so what I do is apply it at night, let it develop, shower in the morning and no-one can smell the obvious fake tan smell. It does make your bed linen smell though, but if you do an application the night before it goes in the wash, then it's not so bad.
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 7:25 am      Reply with quote
I'll look into the Jergens though I am still very wary of fake tans, so that would require a mental leap.

I guess I'm looking more for some sort of lotion that gives your skin more of a brightness and glow? Does this even exist? Probably not! Laughing

I agree that pale can be very beautiful. I have a friend who has silky pale skin and dark hair... looks like Winona Ryder...gorgeous. Some people pull off pale in a very good way. My own version of pale just makes me look washed out and unhealthy, though. I've got dark circles under my eyes (hereditary) and not-so-perfect skin (acne scars, occasionally active acne, some fine lines). Some color could do me a world of good.

I almost want to screw it all and just get a little bit of a tan. Talk me out of it!
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Janis the Jergens is a body moisturiser with self tan, it does it gradually and gives you the glow you're looking for.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 7:48 am      Reply with quote
sarahb wrote:
Janis, Jergens is a great natural self tan. I'm also very pale and I've tried so many self tans and this one is the best I've found so far. It's cheap, looks natural and is foolproof. It's supposed to be a gradual build up but I notice a difference after just one application. The only down side is it stinks like fake tan, so what I do is apply it at night, let it develop, shower in the morning and no-one can smell the obvious fake tan smell. It does make your bed linen smell though, but if you do an application the night before it goes in the wash, then it's not so bad.

I agree about Jergens NAtural glow for pale skin. This is also a moisturizer and you put it on gradually and should see results within a few days of using it if you are using it everyday. I also think this thing doesnt smell the greatest. I dont recommend the Jergens natural glow for the face since you are prone to breakouts. I hear many reviews about breakouts from the face cream. For the face, the best thing would probably be a bronzer that would give you a bit of a sun kissed glow. NARS has a really great bronzer called Laguna which wont cause orangy skin like many bronzers tend to do. I think pale skin is beautiful and you should be proud of it Smile
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 7:54 am      Reply with quote
Hi

I've got the Jergens for the face too. It's a completely different consistency to the cream for the body. It's not greasy at all and sinks straight in. I haven't had any breakouts using the face one but I prefer Liz Earle self tan (spray) for the face.
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 8:07 am      Reply with quote
So I'm confused... will the Jergen's face stuff cause acne nor not?

Also, can you guys give me an idea of how subtle it is? I'm looking for something very subtle.
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 8:07 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I am extremely fair as well, have tried self-tanners, but did not find one that I really liked.
Try a bronzer, I really like Guerlain's new bronzer, it is in a compact, (in blonde 01), also Global Goddess (on sephora) has a great bronzer and Too Faced Snow Bunny, hths.
Allie Grace
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 8:10 am      Reply with quote
Janis, I'm pale too and looking for ways to look healthy and colorful w/o the fake tan this year. However, I must say that a little Jergens helps! If you only use a bit it just wards off the ghostly glow w/o looking like a billboard for fake tanning.

Something I've been considering is coloring my hair in a shade that will look better with this pale look I am also sporting. For me something warmer richer that will accent hazel/green eyes...I currently have light brown golden hair that has always looked great with a TAN! So maybe consider a hair color- maybe the non permanent ones for trying out new color.

Also, clothing color. I have noticed that without a tan different colors look better on me. I have this bright salmony pink tshirt that I bought that I never considered would look good on me....but was looking for something that would brighten up my paleness, and it really does! Try some different clothing color next to your face and see what happens, it really makes a huge difference.

Just ordered some new blush color in a more peachy tone instead of the pink tone I usually wear. Try some new color you had not thought to try before.

Oh, and I'm finding bright white clothing near my face also helps me look ...awake and alive LOL. And cornflower blue now looks better on me somehow.

You might find a new "best feature" somewhere by looking at your coloring in a different way~

Allie Grace
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 8:51 am      Reply with quote
Janis as I said, it's a gradual colour, I'm fair too and one application just gives me a gentle glow, it looks natural, I've got the medium shade. If you want to be more tanned you just apply another layer to build it up. I just do one applicating and as it's a moisturiser too, it seems to last nearly a week. It's only about $6-$7 so give it a go.
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 9:22 am      Reply with quote
I think I WILL actually try this. Thanks for the info guys, and one more question from those of you who use it: how long does it take to "kick in"? You all seem to be saying to do it at night, and then by morning you'll see a mild change?
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 9:31 am      Reply with quote
Janis do you want me to come over there and apply it for you? Wink

As it's supposed to be gradual it's supposed to take a few applications before you see a difference. As I'm fair and I apply it before bed by the morning I have a slight tan which lasts me nearly a week.

Although this is a moisturiser with a self tan in, you still need to apply it like a self tan. Exfoliate first, especially feet, knees and elbows. Apply all over evenly, then wipe your knees, toes and elbows with a dry tissue to take off the excess. Then give your hands a good clean so you don't have tanned palms. Then apply a small amount to the back of your hands and rub them together and inbetween fingers, tissue off around knuckles and voila, next day you should have a slight glow.
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 9:33 am      Reply with quote
sarahb wrote:
Janis do you want me to come over there and apply it for you? Wink

Ha, that would be perfect!

Sorry for my helplessness... just a total newbie to the scary world of self-tanning. I have visions of myself looking like a jack-o-lantern.
ellyp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 9:36 am      Reply with quote
Janis, I feel your pain! I am very pale. In fact, I'm getting frustrated finding a foundation that is light enough in color and doesn't look like I'm wearing makeup. I break out STILL (I'm 36) so I get red spots sooooo easily. I wish I had the type of skin where I could easily not put anything on it to cover up the spots. Oh well...

I have to disagree about the suggestions to use a self-tanner of any sort. For me, I have found the upkeep to be too much. I also have a hard time using bronzers because they always seem too dark or too makeup-y to me. I do use blush and some type of lipstick (there are now a lot of good colored balms out there that add just enough pigment to give color but not look like you are wearing heavy lipstick). One product I've ended up buying for three times now is Bobbi Brown's tinted moisturizer in Extra Light. It's almost perfect as far as a skin match goes for me (it's slightly too yellow) and it covers my spots OK without being too heavy. I have come to the point where I am trying to embrace my paleness and stop trying to be something I'm not--anything else is so much work right now! (I have little ones that are not going to wait for Mommy's fake tan to set before we start our day!)

That said, I do think I will try Dr. H's liquid bronzer at some point though. I have tried it on at the store and the color is incredibly natural and not dark at all. You are supposed to mix it with lotion so it seems pretty easy. I just have to decide if I want to add more work to my rountine or accept pale self as I am. After all, what if it rains or I sweat? Do I really want to worry about my bronzer coming off unevenly so that I look funny? I just dread that...

Good luck though!
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 9:45 am      Reply with quote
Janis wrote:
So I'm confused... will the Jergen's face stuff cause acne nor not?

Also, can you guys give me an idea of how subtle it is? I'm looking for something very subtle.

Well some people experience breakouts from Jergens face natural glow. It just depends if your skin is prone to breakouts. Jergens natural glow is very sublte. Depends how often you apply this stuff. If you apply it once, you may see a tiny bit results or no results. This stuff wont make you bronze by one application. You will see a slight glow when using Jergens, plus this stuff is very cheap too which is a bonus.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 9:57 am      Reply with quote

When you buy this stuff make sure it says for Fair skin. You dont want to buy a dark lotion and then apply it and it's too dark for you. Jergens natural glow is a gradual process so it's not really like your ordinary self tanner. The first application you probably wont see any results.

Keep your healthy summer glow all year long just by moisturizing. Formulated with a unique blend of non-drying Erythrulose, DHA and essential moisturizers to gradually develop a soft, natural glow, without the streaking or orange coloration often experienced with using a self-tanner. And because all skin tones are different, Jergens® natural glow Daily Moisturizer is now available in 3 shades, Fair, Medium and Medium/Tan, so there’s one that’s perfect for you to achieve a natural-looking glow. When used daily for two weeks, you’ll see a noticeable change in the color of your skin - up to one full shade darker.
Use daily and after one week, your skin will be noticeably darker. There is no need to exfoliate, just smooth on generous amounts of natural glow evenly over your entire body. Wash your hands following application to prevent unwanted color on your palms and allow several minutes to dry before dressing. After desired skin tone is achieved, continued daily use will maintain your natural glow.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
I don't understand how people could get so pale, unless it's just in their genes, like Nicole Kidman etc.

I'm a freaking hermit and am indoors working 90% of the time and wear sunscreen, and I'm still not pale!

And don't most people still go outside, esp. in the summer? Normal people I mean. If I actually went outside, I don't care if I wore spf 100 a big ol hat I would still get coloring and tan on my face and any exposed skin areas. Sunscreen doesn't block tanning, it just slows it down and prevents burning etc.

Only my body and legs are pale because they are always covered in clothing etc. I'm embarrassed to show my legs off. I might need a self tanner for summer for that, or just get some real sun on them. Laughing
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:24 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |