Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
I think I should ban myself from the magnifying mirror
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 11:49 am      Reply with quote
Okay, I've come to the conclusion that I should never have bought a magnifying mirror! Now that I can see my face really close up ... and see all the little things that shouldn't be there (hello! blackheads), I can't stop myself from messing around with it! And once I start, I can't stop! Last weekend I made such a mess that all week I've been piling on the concealer and then last night I went at it again.

Does anyone else have this problem? I should just take that darn mirror out of my bathroom, because if I can't see it, then I'm not tempted to do things I shouldn't be doing.

Of course ... if I skin were to become perfect one day I wouldn't see anything to mess with. Haha Very Happy
Maura L.
5% products discount

Thu May 18, 2006 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
I was actually going to ask if you guys have found that popping zits/squeezing blackheads can turn into sort of a compulsive activity. I know for me it is. For some reason, it's just really hard to control it. You know you shouldn't be doing it, but you get in this zone and you can't leave things alone. Especially when I have a big zit, I simply cannot resist popping it.

I'm sorry, this is gross to talk about, but I 'm wondering if you guys feel the same.

As far as those magnifying mirrors, I go CRAZY with my skin when I'm around one of those. I know myself well enough never to buy one of those.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
lol i can relate to you. I'm so bad with that, I have a mirror with me everywhere. I always see something wrong with my skin and am never 100% satisfied with it. Sad
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
I love mine and consider it one of the best beauty investments I've made.

But, I do understand how it could become a problem.
bergquis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
Problem for ME YES!! I do not own one, because a regular mirror is just as much of a problem. I see every imperfection and always think, "well, I have to go somewhere on Fri (it's Monday), I will "get it" now, so it will heal by then. Chances are, it would have been less of a problem if I would have left it alone. Then, once I do a few, I say..what the hell I already have all these red marks, might as well get them all. It is a vicious cycle. Throw away your mirrors
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 1:07 pm      Reply with quote
they are shocking at first....but once you get everything cleared up, its actually nice!
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
I can relate!! The squeezing and prodding is compulsive!! Esp. once I start to go after a really stubborn blemish or blackhead, I can't stop until it's extracted. I know, I know....TERRIBLE for my skin. Like I said, it's compulsive, LOL.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
I was the same way. Now, I try to limit myself (squeezing blackheads) to every two weeks after a hot shower. Also, I try to be as careful as I can (I use the blackhead extractor by Tweezerman), I don't force them if they are not ready. This way not much damage is done, it actually helps to keep my skin in a better shape. This and the peels help me to avoid professional facials. I even believe, that I do a better job for much less money.
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
I do the same! Its horrible. I'm always in front of the mirror scrtunizing my face and pores. Of course I regret it after..but then I do it all over again the next night!

Embarassed
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
I'm so glad I'm not alone in my compulsion! Smile I really try to keep my hands off my face, but often times I just can't resist. In a perfect world, I would like to do a weekly home facial and do any extractions during that time. And if things don't come out right away, then just leave them alone until they are ready. But that's so hard! I guess all habits can be broken and messing with my face so much means it never fully heals. So starting tonight ... that is my goal ... once a week only. ACK!! It feels like it's going to be hard to do already! Sad
Chee
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 8:09 pm      Reply with quote
This is totally a compulsion with me too! Even those big hard lumps that you just know won't pop and will likely take over your whole face if you try to squeeze them. Confused I even have memories of a few really BIG zits that popped decades ago ... it was somehow satisfying. CRAZY!!! Embarassed
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
I'm really bad. I don't even need a mirror. If I feel a bump, I start to pick it at. Sad
Chee
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
AACCKK!! Yen, that is so true of me as well.
I like to not wear foundation on the days I can stay home, but find myself always at my face while I'm on the computer or reading, etc. It's better if I put my face on ... I'm less likely to pick.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
Chee, I'm like you. If I have makeup on, I wouldn't pick at it (but once, I get home...that's another story).
pele
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 18, 2006 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
I think this is a compulsion for many. There is even a website for people who have a problem with it. But honestly, what is more satisfying that seeing your pore clogged with black junk and then squeezing it out and making it nice and clean? what I ask you! Laughing

I find that the aspirin mask has helped reduce the blackheads, but I simply cannot leave one alone if I see it just sitting there mocking me.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 19, 2006 12:25 am      Reply with quote
I think I am quite proud to say I managed to kick this very nasty habit..... after 8 years of it!!!

When I got bored in class I would just pick and scratch my whole face.. feeling for blackheads.... I always wondered why my pimples never cleared up..

Now that I finally managed to stop, my skin heals sooo much faster.

Another trick to help with the constant feeling of 'omg I have really bad skin close up!!', is to actually just look at your skin under a soft lamp light. Then think to yourself: hmm my skin actually looks good! And try to keep that positive thought in your head. Smile
roadtonowhere
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 19, 2006 1:06 am      Reply with quote
i am obsessed with popping blackheads. I used to caused so many pimples forming (I guess I did not get the all the gunk out or something), but now ever since I started using retin a, I think the gunk comes out easier.
The obsession is not only to pop my blackheads, but also DH's blackheads. I think it is a disease and I should go to some sort of therapy for it
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 19, 2006 2:09 am      Reply with quote
I hate looking in mirrors - and magnifying mirrors are pure terror.

The thing is, we're the only ones who are going to see our faces that close up. It's not like people are going to come up to within an inch of our faces, examining us minutely with a magnifying glass! Laughing

If we were really sensible, we'd just stop worrying so much about it. (Unfortunately, I'm obviously not at all sensible! Wink )
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 19, 2006 5:20 am      Reply with quote
Oh god yes I can completely relate to this thread!!
I have done some serious messing after being sucked into looking into magnifying mirrors or any mirror where the light is good!
What is worse is when you go on holiday, stay in a nice hotel and what do they have....a magnifying mirror that comes out from the wall and you can position it in any direction you want Shock , I never travel anywhere without my concealer Laughing
I think it is an * spam alert *, it does feel satifying when you discover a blocked pore and squeeze out all the gunk!!

5% products discount

Fri May 19, 2006 8:17 am      Reply with quote
I have been told how bad squeezing and mashing blackheads and zits is but I have done it all my life and NEVER had a scar or disaster happen. I know others who have said the same thing. a little redness for a short whild. try ice on those place. Who said this was a BAD thing?
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 19, 2006 8:41 am      Reply with quote
Ditto for me... I have a real problem with this.

Unlike WendyB, I HAVE experienced some scarring. It's hard to say whether the scars were caused by the squeezing itself or it's just that the zits were so big that they were bound to leave marks. I'm certain the picking didn't help matters! Embarassed

I almost think there must be some sort of biological impulse involved when it comes to popping zits. It's such an automatic and instinctual reaction. It's pretty gross, though.

Oh well. Glad to hear I'm not alone.
pele
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 19, 2006 10:06 am      Reply with quote
roadtonowhere wrote:

The obsession is not only to pop my blackheads, but also DH's blackheads. I think it is a disease and I should go to some sort of therapy for it

it's fun to squeeze your boyfriend/DH's because then you don't have to deal with all the redness on your own face after! Laughing
Chee
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 19, 2006 7:48 pm      Reply with quote
pele wrote:
roadtonowhere wrote:

it's fun to squeeze your boyfriend/DH's because then you don't have to deal with all the redness on your own face after! Laughing

OMG!! Very Happy This is just so true! Very Happy It's squeezing without the guilt. I can't stop myself from going at my hubby's back. The blackheads there sometimes are AMAZING! I can't believe I'm posting this. Embarassed
Mabsy

Sat May 20, 2006 1:25 am      Reply with quote
Wendyb wrote:
I have been told how bad squeezing and mashing blackheads and zits is but I have done it all my life and NEVER had a scar or disaster happen. I know others who have said the same thing. a little redness for a short whild. try ice on those place. Who said this was a BAD thing?

I'm the same but I think it just depends on your skin. Some skins do scar more easily and the marks take a lot longer to fade.

Btw, I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who takes pleasure is squeezing these suckers out (and not just on me Smile) Laughing
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 20, 2006 11:01 am      Reply with quote
It's kinda sad that I couldn't even make it one day without picking at my face. Friday afternoon I posted a message saying "So starting tonight ... that is my goal ... once a week only". Uhm, yeah. So that lasted until I went to bed and just wanted to take ONE look in the mirror and well ... let's just say that I couldn't resist. Smile My problem is that not only do I pick at the things I see, but I keep picking at the same things so they take FOREVER to heal. Maybe I should just embrace my need to pick, but just try not to go crazy with it. I don't think I can quit cold turkey! Very Happy
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:47 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |