Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Facial Sauna (Steamer) - Worth It?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 19, 2006 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
So today after work I needed to buy a new hairdryer (my old one decided it time to go), I saw the "facial sauna's" and it got me thinking about my big plans to do weekly home facial with proper extractions (no more pick pick pick Sad). I know that steaming your face is supposed to help open the pores and might make those extraction easier.

I was SOOOO tempted to buy one of these ... I think it was about $28 CAD. But my sensible side won out over my impulsive side and I decided to research it a bit more first.

What is everyone's thoughts on these? I know I COULD just boil some water in a container and put my head over it with a towel to trap the steam. BUT ... this seems like less effort to me and maybe it would work better?

Question: waste of money or not a waste of money?

Thanks! Smile
Mimi H
5% products discount

Fri May 19, 2006 5:23 pm      Reply with quote
I have had one of these for years. I have to say I am not a constant user but steaming does make your face feel nice. I use it more in the winters here in MI. It is wonderful if you get a cold or have sinus problems. My husband will use it for that. I would shop around. They are at Linens& Things and Bed Bath and Beyond also and you could use a coupon. I don't think I paid that much for mine. Mine is a Conair.
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 20, 2006 11:06 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply. Smile Maybe I will pick one of these up down the road when I see it on sale. I would like to add steam my face to my home facial and it just seems easier than having to boil water in the kettle. Plus, I never thought about the benefits of having one when you had a cold ... I usually get the sinus things the worst when I have a cold.
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 20, 2006 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
I used these for years...finally tossed it out. I think they are too harsh for your skin. I'm sure I got broken caps from using one. Now I use a warm wash cloth on my face. When it cools, it re-wet it. I like this much better.. it does the same job without being so harsh.
Libby

Sat May 20, 2006 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
Moonstarr,
Just be very careful not to break those "steam sensitive" capillaries around your nose Embarassed So, so easy to do w/steam of any kind! >^,,^<
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 20, 2006 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
Oh! I didn't know that. I already have some very small broken capillaries around my nose, so hearing that makes me think twice about picking up one of the facial steamers. I definitely wouldn't want them to get worse.

I think maybe instead I will try the warm wash cloth idea ... that might work better for me then. And it will save me a couple bucks. Smile

Thanks for the info ladies! Very Happy
Mabsy

Sun May 21, 2006 2:21 am      Reply with quote
I've been wanting to get one for ages for two reasons: (a) I'm too lazy to do face steaming as often as I'd like, (b) I'd be great for colds etc.

I'm not sure if it would help with the lazyness factor (kinda like wanting a dishwasher - was too lazy to do the dishes so got a dishwasher, now I'm too lazy to unload it Rolling Eyes) and it'd probably still forget to use it but I still would like to try it nonetheless Smile
Rose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 21, 2006 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
I heard that using cold water to wash the face will make your face tighter. However, I also saw people rave about face steaming. It is very confusing, so I am hesitating to try face steam and I don't use cold water to wash my face.
pinkmelody
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 25, 2006 11:44 am      Reply with quote
I think that you use warm water to heat up so that the pores will open. But after rinsing your face, you should use cold water to give it a few splash to tighten the pores and skin.
System
Automatic Message
Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:58 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Bioelements Calmitude Hydrating Solution (118 ml / 4 floz) BDB The Jet Setter (3 items) Bremenn Clinical Upper Eyelid Lifter (15 ml / 0.5 floz)