Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

soya products
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
sarah19
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 20, 2006 7:12 am      Reply with quote
I have cut out dairy and now am having soya milk and wondered if anyone else has it and found any benefits to there health or an improvement in their skin
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 20, 2006 8:24 am      Reply with quote
I love soya, used to drink soya milk allll the time. Be careful though, can get arthritis...

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 20, 2006 8:58 am      Reply with quote
I have been drinking soy milk for two years, because I heard that you really can not adsorb calcium that well from milk. I have not seen the long term effect yet, but am worried about getting gout in the future.
sarah19
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 20, 2006 10:16 am      Reply with quote
Yeah i think their may be some long term problems whether they are true i dont know think milk can also cause problems for alot of people at a later date i might try and introduce abit of normal milk so im getting the goodness from both i heard that soya is lacking in calcium whereas as milk contains more i could be wrong
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 20, 2006 10:45 am      Reply with quote
I'm a big believer in soy products, esp. soymilk. I drink a brand of soymilk called "Silk Enhanced," it has tons of vitamins, calcium, and omega 3s, so it's really good for me AND my skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 20, 2006 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
My mother-in-law has kept taking soy milk for couple years as she believes soy can help manage midlife by reducing hot flashes and other common symptoms of menopause. Besides, I heard that soy consumption is proved to significantly improve a woman's comfort and health during perimenopause, menopause and postmenopause.
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 21, 2006 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
I was told soya milk contains no calcium except those with "added calcium" on the container/box.

Also eating more tofu will make our skin smoother.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 5:37 am      Reply with quote
I don't drink soy milk but my sis does big time. If you're an older women this is likely good for you as it contains phytoestrogens. If you're in your 20's you probably should not drink it for the same reason. I've seen some studies of young girls who drank mostly soy milk and it lead to premature maturity and reproductive problems. Hormones are powerful things.
maddy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 12:56 am      Reply with quote
I was once told to remember that 'beans weren't meant to be made into milk'. Soya milk can be a bit artificial. That said, many things are and soy milk has to be one of the better things surely! I love drinking both soy and normal milk, but more often normal.

I think there are some well-documented benefits to consuming soy products. Just not sure about the milk?
Rose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz,

Where do you get "Silk Enhanced"?
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Rose! It used to be that I had to go to Whole Foods to get my "silk", but now they have it at most grocery stores. "Silk" is the actual brand of the soymilk, and then "enhanced" is the type that is enhanced with vitamins and omega-3s. You want to look for the lightish-blue carton. The dark blue carton is "vanilla" and the red carton is "plain." They all taste great, but I drink the enhanced because it's such an easy way to get omega-3s. HTH!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
I love "So Good" in the Vanilla flavour. It actually tastes like a milk shake.
yaling111
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:04 pm      Reply with quote
Soya products are very health and good for skin..
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:02 am      Reply with quote
I am intollerant to dairy products and years ago made the switch to soya milk, I think I was sensitive to this too, it always made my tongue feel funny then it would irritate my stomach.
I stopped the Soy and now just could not drink the stuff.
There is Calcium in many other products, there is far more calcium in Brocolly than Milk!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:29 am      Reply with quote
Hi ladies,
Don't forget about rice milk. DH and I use this all the time. It comes enriched and doesn't have that nutty flavor so it goes with everything!
FrevaKZ
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:05 pm      Reply with quote
Yen wrote:

I drink it in chocolate :P I think I may try strawberry, next.

Is it true that soy can cause problems in younger women? I get my soy through soy milk...and personally, I think that these "problems" are way too contained and isolated to be attributed to just drinking soy milk.
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:07 pm      Reply with quote
FrevaKZ wrote:
Yen wrote:

I drink it in chocolate :P I think I may try strawberry, next.

Is it true that soy can cause problems in younger women? I get my soy through soy milk...and personally, I think that these "problems" are way too contained and isolated to be attributed to just drinking soy milk.

I haven't tried the other flavours. Once I tried the Vanilla, that was all I drank. Laughing

I haven't heard negative news about soy aside from my co-worker saying that most soy products are overprocessed.

I've included the nutrition chart for the So Good products.
www.sogoodbeverage.com/beverages_chart.cfm
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
Most of the calcium in tofu and soymilk is added to it, but so is the vitamin D in cows milk. I don't like soy milk. It coats my throat and tongue like I remember milk doing. Although it's been so long since I've had milk that I'm sure it's far worse then soy. I don't mind soy made or mixed into other things like a latte or soy yogurt or something, just not plain. I love tofu though! I can eat tofu plain without cooking it and still like it, just dipped in soy sauce. I love soy sauce! Tempe is good too if it is prepared well. I also like edamme. I just don't care for soy milk. I really don't drink any kind of milks. Rice, almond, oat, hazelnut etc. Although it is really easy to make your own at home. I think macadamia nut milk is the best but almond is good too. Just blend up some water with the nuts, a pinch of salt, agave or other sweetener, lecithin if you want it creamer and a tablespoon of coconut oil. Then strain it through fine mesh strainer or nut milk bag. It's way better then anything you can buy in the store. You can also make a simpler version just by blending water with almond or macadamia nut butter, or cashew. Or if you can find a young coconut you can blend the water and meat together with 1 tB of coconut oil and get a great thick and creamy milk.

Oh and I wouldn't worry about the phyto-estrogens. Just don't drink it like crazy. Most plant foods have phyto-estrogens. Most legumes, nuts, seeds, fruits, herbs etc. Esp. flax and pomegranate. Just don't overdo one food.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
The only soy milk I can tolerate is 8th Continent. They make a chocolate milk, which I, of course, love. Don't forget, soy milk is also an excellent source of soy PROTEIN which is very good for women, especially those who are vegetarians. I'll have soy milk as a snack, but I don't rely on it to provide calcium. I eat yogurt and cheese for that.

Soy yogurt, however? Yeck! Grossest stuff ever.
Agave
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:30 pm      Reply with quote
I personally try to stay away from anything soy. I have read too many bad things about it and how it came to be so prolific in people's minds as a "health food." Now, so many things have soy products in them that you often can't get away from it - especially if you don't eat meat products as I do not. I try to be as careful as possible.

However, I think for candles, oil lubricants for cars and bikes, even skincare, soy is a great product.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:13 am      Reply with quote
I cannot tolerate too much soy products. A few years ago I was drinking soy milk everyday and it caused me to retain water. It wasn't just abdominal bloating either. My face, hands and feet were swollen! The first time I was drinking the soy milk I did not make any connection but after I gave it up and started again the water retention came back and I figured it was the soy. I still have tofu once in a while but am afraid to eat soy products on a regular basis!
Rose
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:04 pm      Reply with quote
Manslayerliz said:Hi Rose! It used to be that I had to go to Whole Foods to get my "silk", but now they have it at most grocery stores. "Silk" is the actual brand of the soymilk, and then "enhanced" is the type that is enhanced with vitamins and omega-3s. You want to look for the lightish-blue carton. The dark blue carton is "vanilla" and the red carton is "plain." They all taste great, but I drink the enhanced because it's such an easy way to get omega-3s. HTH!

Hi Manslayerliz,

Thanks for the info. I will try the enhanced version.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
violetanne wrote:

You have to try the Wildwood brand, tastes just like yogurt. And it's 100% organic.

As far as cow dairy for calcium, it is extremely low in magnesium. So it's really a poor source of calcium, esp. since most people don't get enough magnesium in their diets.

"Adequate amounts of magnesium are required for the absorption and utilization of calcium, favoring the deposition of calcium in bones where it belongs and preventing deposition of calcium in the soft tissues and kidneys where it does not belong.

Magnesium levels should be one half of calcium or calcium will not deposit properly and much will be lost.

Without magnesium, high doses of calcium will lead to calcification of soft tissues, kidney stone formation, and decreased bone strength."
MAC8
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
Agave, I am right there with you. The only soy in my life is candles and hair oil.

For me, soy as an edible is right up there as an allergen, along with milk, wheat and corn.

BYRG, thanks for the great tip about making milk out of nut butters. I have been using a prepared almond milk, but am still suspicious of the sweetener in it. And I don't like the straining step when I make my own.
preenie
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:35 am      Reply with quote
BYRG wrote:
violetanne wrote:

You have to try the Wildwood brand, tastes just like yogurt. And it's 100% organic.

As far as cow dairy for calcium, it is extremely low in magnesium. So it's really a poor source of calcium, esp. since most people don't get enough magnesium in their diets.

"Adequate amounts of magnesium are required for the absorption and utilization of calcium, favoring the deposition of calcium in bones where it belongs and preventing deposition of calcium in the soft tissues and kidneys where it does not belong.

Magnesium levels should be one half of calcium or calcium will not deposit properly and much will be lost.

Without magnesium, high doses of calcium will lead to calcification of soft tissues, kidney stone formation, and decreased bone strength."

I drink soya milk as I'm lactose intollerent, and I also prefer it. Can anyone advise on other ways to add magnesium and calcium to my diet without going the dairy route? Should I take a supplememt. Because I don't eat dairy, am I increasing my chances of "bone problems" -very scientific I know!- when I'm older?
Thanks.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:54 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |