Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

what exactly is the purpose of Toner?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Allie Grace
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 20, 2006 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
I don't get what it's purpose is except to remove anything my cleanser might have missed???

I'm using Thayers to see what the fuss is all about, but mostly it just smells good:)

Allie Grace
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 20, 2006 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
Well, as far as my knowledge goes, different people use toners for different purposes. Some people use toners that contain astringents like witch hazel to tighten their pores up, some people use toners to remove any lingering bits of cleanser, some people use toners to restore the ph balance to skin after cleansing, etc. I've heard that it's not a necessary step, but I've done it all my life so for me now it's more of a habit than anything else.^-^

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 20, 2006 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
I've always thought it was more about emptying out our pocketbooks. Rolling Eyes
Ocha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 20, 2006 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
Well, my skin is feeling softer and more supple after putting on some toners. I think it is a must to me. I also believes that it helps to enhance the efficacy of subsequent skin care.
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 20, 2006 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
The reasons are to follow up with what the clenser didn't get and balance the PH in the skin to prepare for other products.

I hear that it is harsh on skin and if you get a good clenser that is already PH balanced it is not nec to use a toner. Plus it is a no-no to use it right before you Vitamin C (if you use that) It degrades it or something.

I just recently gave it up using every night but use it 2-3 times a week now to clean out the pores a little more. But using something like Retin A on a reg basis will keep your pores tight so you don't have to worry about them getting clogged.

So I alternate with a balanced Glycolic clenser or Origins Liquid Crystal clenser-on those nights I use the toner. I can't give it up completely b/c I do feel it gives me that extra cleaning that on certains days my clenser isn't enough.
handsbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 20, 2006 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
I thought toner is used for closing pores? Please correct me if I am wrong, thanks
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 20, 2006 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
I believe that a toner is used mostly for balancing the PH of the skin and for cleaning up what the cleanser has missed. If you find a good cleanser that cleanses your skin without dehydrating it, then a toner is really unnecessary.
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 20, 2006 10:53 pm      Reply with quote
I think when I had my last facial she mentioned that a toner was a preference but not a necessity. I like them for just refreshing my skin .. like if it's really hot out and I come home I might like to use it quickly just to let my skin feel fresher. I think, like others have mentioned, if your cleanser is doing it's job, it's probably not necessary.
Allie Grace
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 21, 2006 9:21 am      Reply with quote
thankyou so much ladies!!!!! I just wondered if I was missing out on something. I use cetaphil gentle to cleanse but the toner always picked up missed makeup so I suppose that's worth it.

donnababe- "emptying pocketbooks", that's what I was wondering too LOL.

I agree that I like how clean and refreshed my skin feels after using it. Can never be sure if it's closing pores or balancing PH. Maybe if I stopped using it now I could tell a difference.

wenrwdy@aol.com wrote:

Plus it is a no-no to use it right before you Vitamin C (if you use that) It degrades it or something.

I'm glad you mentioned this Wendy as I just started using a vit C serum and have faithfully been using a toner before applying it- oops.

Thankyou all for the input, anyone have a fav toner they really love? I have tried a couple but see no difference in them really- any ole toner will do?

Allie Grace
Moonstarr
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 21, 2006 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
I think it depends on what you want your toner to do ... like if you want something to help refine your pores, maybe look for one with salycylic (sp?) acid, or if you want moisture, go with one that is hydrating.

I have realized recently that I really like the Dermalogica Multi-Active Toner. I don't find it drying, just nice and refreshing. This is how it describes it on their website:
"refreshing blend of skin-repairing Aloe, moisture-binding humectants plus soothing Lavender, Balm Mint and Arnica".

I'd been using before that the Clinique 2 toner which I thought I loved, but I think it was super drying to my skin. I also have a Shiseido (Hydro-Balancing Softener) one that I am using up the odd time ... which is nice too. I think I much prefer toners that are more refreshing and hydrating now than thinking I need one that will clear my pores (for some reason they just make me too dry).
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 21, 2006 3:32 pm      Reply with quote
My son uses a clarifying toner by Aloette with a cotton pad to help clear out his pores as he has a problem with acne and it helps a great deal.

I have one by Garden Botanika that I use occassionally with a cotton pad in place of cleanser when I cannot use a cleanser.

I also have a toner in a spritz bottle that came with a skin care kit and I notice that more and more companies are putting out toners as a spritz so it stays on the skin... It seems that if these toners are too clean out the pores then they would not be sprayed on... I have heard that they balance out the ph in the skin and if the cleanser is ph balanced then a toner is generally not necessary.

I think, though, that depending on the ingredients in a toner and what your skin needs it is kind of like using a serum to get extra stuff. Wink
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 21, 2006 3:58 pm      Reply with quote
I always find that I feel comfortable to use toner after the cleanser.

I also apply toner on the face after my weekly mask or peel. Is that un-necessary??
starkers
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 21, 2006 8:23 pm      Reply with quote
No toner before Vitamin C hey? I've been always using my ACV toner after I cleanse and then doing my Vitamin C. I'll try without.

What about other serums? I have an eventone serum I use at night, should I not tone before that?

If that's the case, should I just ditch the toner altogether?

Kylie
Allie Grace
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 21, 2006 9:09 pm      Reply with quote
Moonstarr wrote:

I have realized recently that I really like the Dermalogica Multi-Active Toner. I don't find it drying, just nice and refreshing. This is how it describes it on their website:
"refreshing blend of skin-repairing Aloe, moisture-binding humectants plus soothing Lavender, Balm Mint and Arnica".

I'd been using before that the Clinique 2 toner which I thought I loved, but I think it was super drying to my skin. I also have a Shiseido (Hydro-Balancing Softener) one that I am using up the odd time ... which is nice too. I think I much prefer toners that are more refreshing and hydrating now than thinking I need one that will clear my pores (for some reason they just make me too dry).

this dermalogica sounds really good! I have oily skin, but anything I use specifically for oily skin seems to make it worse. Oddly anything hydrating/moisturizing is the better choice for me....feed the oily monster the oil it needs and it calms down instead of going into overdrive.

bosoxy, I also use toner in place of cleanser sometimes for.....my ears LOL! Seriously, I have oily ears and about mid afternoon if possible I tone those babies down.

bb2000, I would think that if it cleans off any excess mask/peel and helps calm the skin it would be a good thing.

starkers, I also use a serum at night, a refinishing serum so I'm now wondering the same thing. Maybe I'll just be toning my ears from now on:)

Allie Grace
Mabsy

Sun May 21, 2006 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
wenrwdy@aol.com - what is the justification for not being able to use toner before vit C serum? I almost always use toner and don't have any issues. Personally, I don't see how using something like rosewater, or whatever, can degrade vit C or can be harsh for the skin. I really think it depends on the toner you use and you can't just bunch them all up into one category.

IMO, toners are used for different purposes depending on their ingredients. Most commonly, they are used to restore proper pH to the skin, get anything that the cleanser missed, or add some moisture to the skin. Some are also astringent and used to help close pores or fight acne. So, really, many uses. To me they are an optional step but I do use them because I like them and I see a difference in my skin in terms of hydration when I use one (I spend the entire day in air-con btw). Some of my favorites are: Phytomer Face Dew (adding moisture), Eminence Organics Wild Plum (brightening and helping with bumps - has salicylic acid in it), Jurlique Rosewater (adding moisture), PSF DMAE toner (adding moisture, potentially firming), and recently also Caudalie Beauty Elixir (refreshing).
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 21, 2006 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
I have always used a toner. My favorite to date is PSF DMAE toner. Toners clear you skin of any traces of cleaners or impurities. Besides, I love the way my skin feels after toning. Smile

I use a Vit. C serum daily and I don't know of any effects a toner would have on C's. hmm Many skin care manufacturers sell a whole line of products to use as a routine. In that routine there is a toner to use prior to Vit C application.
handsbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 1:10 am      Reply with quote
handsbella wrote:
I thought toner is used for closing pores? Please correct me if I am wrong, thanks

Hi, I did some survey and I found this link.
Yes, it helps in closing the pores. See the article " Why Using a Toner as Part of Your Skin Care Regime is Important"

http://beauty-tip-article.blogspot.com/2006/05/why-using-toner-as-part-of-your-skin.html
kls
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 7:26 am      Reply with quote
So glad to read that the PSF DMAE toner is a favorite for some of you. I just received it in my last order & have been using it for a couple of days. I really like how my skin feels after applying it. Got my fingers crossed for the "firming" effect!
wenrow
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 8:07 am      Reply with quote
The reason you should not use the toner is it has aloe and alot of other plant base actives which have trace metals and can oxidize the c.

First I just used toner at night only and not in the am when I used C. then I slowed using it all together b/c of the irriation. And like I said it wasn't nec when I found a good PH balanced Clenser. Saving steps...
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 8:35 am      Reply with quote
wenrwdy@aol.com wrote:
The reason you should not use the toner is it has aloe and alot of other plant base actives which have trace metals and can oxidize the c.

This is from my reply to another thread:

Quote:
Quote:
hpjrt wrote:

I do know that green tea is known to have tracel amount of metals and metals can degrade Vitamin C ... which is why it's important not to use Vitamin C within 12 hours of using a copper peptide.

I have never heard this before. I always thought that the reason that you could not use Vitamin C and copper peptides together is because the Vitamin C is acidic and an acidic environment can cause the copper and peptides to break apart resulting in free copper in the skin which can lead to skin damage.

Many commericial c serums (IS Clinical, Skinceuticles and Cellex-C to name a few) contain zinc which is a metallic element so in at least some cases it is okay to combine metals with Vitamin C. I would find it hard to believe that cosmetic chemists at major companies would not know about potentially bad reactions between Vitamin C and zinc!

I think that it would be fine to use a toner before a C serum depending on the toner. Even if you are convinced that trace minerals would harm the Vitamin C you could find toners without them.

I do not use toner before my C serum. I do use Kanebo Lotion II which is like a toner and I feel that this has ingredients that would coat my skin and prevent the C from fully absorbing so that is why I don't use toner beforehand. If your toner does not have anything that would come between your c serum and your skin then I do not see any reason why you couldn't use it beforehand.
Natning
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
As far as I know, different toners have different functions, some minimizes pores, some enhance absorbtion of whatever serum/moisturizer that follows etc. Personally, I feel that my skin is cleaner and tighter when I use toner compared to the times when I don't.
Mabsy

Tue May 23, 2006 1:12 am      Reply with quote
Wenrwdy and TheresaL - thanks for the followup on this. It does make sense and helps to clear it up for me. Though I do wonder if there is enough trace minerals to actually make an impact on the vit C? I have no idea but I'm assuming that it would take some quantity and a period of time in order for the degradation to occur? I'd like to read up on this more so if you have any links to studies or whatever info then they'd be appreciated. TIA Smile
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 5:52 am      Reply with quote
For me, the Toner is used only at night after using my cleanser to remove any cosmetic foundation that my cleanser did not take off.

I don't use Toner in the morning, just a cleanser and then my Vit. C, B5 Gel and Sunblock.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 7:17 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
Wenrwdy and TheresaL - thanks for the followup on this. It does make sense and helps to clear it up for me. Though I do wonder if there is enough trace minerals to actually make an impact on the vit C? I have no idea but I'm assuming that it would take some quantity and a period of time in order for the degradation to occur? I'd like to read up on this more so if you have any links to studies or whatever info then they'd be appreciated. TIA Smile

Mabsy I too would like to find some studies showing that trace metals can degrade Vitamin C! I had never heard this until a few days ago when I read it in another thread.
Alix
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:06 am      Reply with quote
I often use toner to flood my skin before putting other skincare product on my face. So, my toners MUST contain sodium hyaluronate and/or sodium pca! Cool
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:15 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |