Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
what to use?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
anbloom
5% products discount

Sun May 21, 2006 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
I just currently started using Retin-A to help with my acne scaring. My dermatologist expects I will be on it for 4-6 months. My face does not have rough dry patches like some experience but it does peel throughout the day and I have to continuously reapply mositurizer which ruins my makeup. My question is what would be a good exfoliator/microdermabrasion/scrub to make sure that I get all the dead skin off before I apply my makeup? Also what would a good moisturizer be to help the peeling, I am currently using jojoba oil. On another note I am a college student and my student nursing job isn't the most top paying position so recommendations that are affordable would be helpful. I am willing to pay some money but cannot really be paying for extremely pricey items. Also I have just gotten my face clear from acne and am so excited, so nothing that would be too pore clogging for the moisturizer. Thank you so much!
athena
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 21, 2006 11:15 pm      Reply with quote
AHA, aspirin mask or papaya enzyme mask all help to get dead skin off. I like to use something stronger and Epidermx microdermabrasion is wonderful. If jojoba oil is doing fine for you just stick with it. I use camellia oil which keeps any dry patches away and keeps my skin smooth and supple.
anbloom
5% products discount

Sun May 21, 2006 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks. I do currently use the aspirin mask but didn't want to use it every day and was hoping for something I could use on a more daily basis or at least 3 times a week. Is there a particular brand of papaya mask that you have found works well?
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 2:23 am      Reply with quote
Hi I too use Jojoba Oil as a moisturiser.
I really do recomend the homemade Dr H Cleansing cream (DR H CC):

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

The cleansing cream, is abrasive enough to be used daily and yet it is not overly abrasive so it will not leave you with any outbreaks or sensitiveness. I have been using this for over 6 months now and my skin looks so clear and radient.
Also if you are on a budget it is ideal, once you have your oils in (believe me they last for ages) preparation cost is next to nothing.
I have found that Goundnut oil from the supermarket works well in this recipe too.

Also follow with Witch Hazel to tone, is conditions the skin and prepares for the Jojoba Oil.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 5:56 am      Reply with quote
Hi! I agree with athena--- a good enzyme mask will definitely help you. A nice one for not a lot of money is Alba Hawaiian Pineapple enzyme mask. You could also try Juice Beauty's Green Apple peel. It's pricey, but the little sample size should last you several weeks, and it's very powerful. If you feel like jojoba is not moisturizing your skin enough, you might try using camellia oil. The brand I use is from chidoriyaworld.com and it's WONDERFUL stuff--- I was having some serious problems with my lips being scaly and flakey due to product sensitivities, and this cleared it right up! Again, if you are concerned with the price you can order a less expensive product and request a sample of the camellia oil--- this company is really good about samples and the vial they send would be enough for weeks. Lastly, I would recommend carrying around a bottle of the body shop's vitamin e facial spray. I know there are a million face sprays out there so it doesn't really make a lot of sense why this one in particular would help peeling, but it does. When I am battling a lot of peeling skin I always carry this with me--- a few spritzes and the peeling skin is gone! HTH!

5% products discount

Mon May 22, 2006 6:27 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Manslayerliz, I had actually been looking for a facial spray anyway so I will have to try this one out. I am looking into camellia oil and the masks.
athena
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 7:12 am      Reply with quote
Talking about camellia oil I use the Silkia one from goldportbeauty.com. It's great stuff at a good price. I like this stuff much more than rosehip oil.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 8:59 am      Reply with quote
anbloom if you are experiencing alot of peeling with RetinA you should be very cautious about adding exfoliating. The RetinA is already exfoliation your skin and that is why you are peeling. I have very sensitive skin and use retinoids (Differin) also. I would advise against adding an exfoliating step until your skin becomes accustomed to the RetinA. But if you really want to go ahead with the exfoliating then a gentle product would be best. I can recommend the Kanebo Silk Peeling. It is very gentle and even my skin can tolerate it.
anbloom
5% products discount

Mon May 22, 2006 11:56 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL, what would you recommend to make sure I get rid of the dead skin then so it's not flaking off throughout the day?
Thanks!
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 12:12 pm      Reply with quote
anbloom unfortunatly I don't have any recommendations, maybe someone else can give us some. I get face peels done at my derms and deal with the peeling skin from that but I usually don't use anything to remove the dead skin because I am too afraid of using something harsh right after my peels. I just put up with it for a few days but in your case where it is something constant I could see why that would not be an option for you!
starkers
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
I use a product called Ginerva Marvel Gel with Green Tea.

It's a green gel that you put on your face and when you rub it off it all the "cornified layer" of skin rubs off.

It's gentle and doesn't sting.

I'm in Australia and got it at the chemist (drugstore). It costs $A19.95 for 30ml and $A39.95 for 60ml.

I'd say a generous pea-sized amount would do the whole face. So it's pretty well priced. I'm sure I've seen it on the internet too.

Kylie
starkers
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
BTW, I'll add the the bits that come off when you use the gel aren't a chemical reaction the gel does to make you think it is taking off the cornified skin. I used it once straight after an aspirin mask and nothing came off. So it's ridgy didge. I think I also saw a post on some website where a girl just rubbed it on a desk to see if it was for real and same thing, no bits.

It's pretty cool stuff and I think it's helped my skin. It took loads off when I hadn't used it for a while and I've been using my Vit C and Eventone serum.

Kylie
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
You have got to try Ice Elements 2 minute miracle exfoliating gel!

US and Canada can get 2 containers of 1/4 oz each for just $2.95 shipping... Go to http://www.iceelements.com for information. You can call or email Shelly as samples are not able to be ordered through their online system.

I tell you, I am in LOVE with this stuff! I talked my teen son into trying it and my bf is next! lmao!

What you do is spread a thin layer over your face, wait 2 minutes and then rub... and the dead skin and oil just sloughs off!

When I heard about it I thought, well everyone is talking this up so much that I have to try it but I am really not one to rave about a product and I thought that I would like it but not that I would LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

I really hope that you do try it and let me know how you like it!
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 6:02 am      Reply with quote
I can't help with what to use, but I can tell you from experience, do not use Serious skin Care's A peel. I was on Retin A a couple years ago, and had the same peeling problem. I used the A peel thinking it would help remove the flaky skin. It did't burn while it was on my face, but when I rinsed it off, my face was bright red and very tight. It was like someone had burned the top couple of layers of skin off my face. Washing with a terry cloth wash cloth hurt. It took almost a week for my skin to return to normal. I'm not sure what ingredient it was, but that peel contains everything. (alpha hydroxy, glycolic and lactic acids, beta hydroxy salicylic, malic acid, plus papaya and papain enzymes.)
Just becareful before you go with anything too strong.
Nymue
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 6:45 am      Reply with quote
I would think that a good amount of massaging with OCM would help take care of the flakies.

When I was on the benzoyl peroxide regimen at acne.org, my skin was very flaky. I would take a long hot bath every night and let the steam and sweat soften up everything (this is with a clean face to start!), and then I would just gently rub with wet fingers and I got alot of the flakes off. I would think OCM would be similar, and less time consuming!

I am very sensitive to Retin-A, and when I was on it last, my derm advised to mix equal parts Retin-A and moisturizer. Even at the lowest percentage and with the moisturizer, I could only use it every other night.

Bosoxy made the Ice Elements product really good though! I'm not currently dealing with any peeling at all, and I'm also using the Clarisonic face brush twice daily, and I'm still tempted to try that 2 minute miracle stuff!
anbloom
5% products discount

Wed May 24, 2006 12:43 pm      Reply with quote
Thank all of you so much for your help! Do any of you have an idea for a gentle cleanser, it seems like everything I try just tightens and drys my face more. Maybe a soap free cleanser?
Thank you again, you are all so helpful!
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
anbloom one cleanser that I can recommend is Bioderma Crealine H2O No Rinse cleanser. This is very gentle and has NEVER irritated my very sensitive skin. It does take a little getting used to because you apply it like you would a toner and then pat your face dry. I don't know if you would want to rely on it ot remove heavy makeup or sunscreens though. I use the Sheseido Ultimate Cleansing Oil to remove any makeup,etc. then follow up with the Bioderma cleanser or La Roche Posay Toleriane Foaming Cleanser (I haven't made my mind up about the LRP, it seems to be too drying).

Jurlique Ultra Sensitive Face Wash is another great cleanser that has never irritated my skin. I find it a little too drying but it might work for you. It is a little pricey though.
jlrobatzek
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
Try Cetaphil. It's gentle enough for babies, and can be found in almost any drugstore.
tinamarie8
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
anbloom wrote:
I just currently started using Retin-A to help with my acne scaring. My dermatologist expects I will be on it for 4-6 months. My face does not have rough dry patches like some experience but it does peel throughout the day and I have to continuously reapply mositurizer which ruins my makeup. My question is what would be a good exfoliator/microdermabrasion/scrub to make sure that I get all the dead skin off before I apply my makeup? Also what would a good moisturizer be to help the peeling, I am currently using jojoba oil. On another note I am a college student and my student nursing job isn't the most top paying position so recommendations that are affordable would be helpful. I am willing to pay some money but cannot really be paying for extremely pricey items. Also I have just gotten my face clear from acne and am so excited, so nothing that would be too pore clogging for the moisturizer. Thank you so much!

Could you first try gently using a washcloth to remove the flakes? Baby washcloths might work as the weave is smaller/tighter than regular washcloths. I use RetinA, and I can rarely use exfoliating products, but the wash cloth usually works for me. I either use it right over my cleanser or a moisture mask. These seem to loosen the flakes to make the cloth work better.

Tina
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
I have another suggestion! (Like you need any more, LOL!) I just tried a sample of PSF's Moisture Mask, and it was just divine! Smells wonderful, very soothing, and I think it would be good for flakiness, too.

5% products discount

Wed May 24, 2006 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks again to everyone, As an update: I have the Juice Beauty Apple Peel which does help but I only use that 1 time a week because that's all my face can handle. I have actually had this product for a whlie and love it. I have samples of Juice Bueaty Milk cleanser and philosophy's purity cleanser that I got today to try for a more gentle cleanser that won't over dry my face. I am going to try some of your recommendations as far as the mositure mask and a very gentle exfoliator until my face gets more used to the Retin-A because I do think my face will need that with all this other stuff going on with it...but once I do get used to it I would love to try the Pineapple enzyme peel or the PSF pumpkin that I've seen raves about. I got some camellia oil as soon as it was mentioned and it has worked wonderfully! Thank you all again for your help, me and my face appreciate it!
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 5:30 pm      Reply with quote
Nymue wrote:

Bosoxy made the Ice Elements product really good though! I'm not currently dealing with any peeling at all, and I'm also using the Clarisonic face brush twice daily, and I'm still tempted to try that 2 minute miracle stuff!

You should so try it! I wish I could get everyone to try it, it is just sooo awesome!

aubloom, Ice Elements also has a cream cleanser for dry skin that does not have the ingredient that makes it foam (having a blank moment here!) so it is really good for your skin and actually is hydrating. It also has the olive derived Squalane as an ingredient and NO water to dilute it... I put on just a bit dry start in small circles on my face and then dampen my fingers with a bit of warm water to spread it all out... It takes a bit to get used to it however if you are dry you will be able to feel the difference.
stardust
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
aubloom - I'm also using retin-a and to deal with the occasional flakies, I may use Dermatological Microfoliant with a wet washcloth to gently scrub. A recent addition to my routine is ROC Peel-ex Radiance mask which I use 2 nights/week. It's very gentle but still effective at removing flakes. it!
muzzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 25, 2006 6:37 am      Reply with quote
Clinique's 15 minute Total Turnaround Facial is another "rub off" type of masque/exfoliator that gets off flakies really well! It seems very gentle ( believe it or not!) too... I am quite liking it actually!

Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:26 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |