Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

women's facial shaving
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 6:41 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone, I can't remember if it was EDS or another forum, but someone mentioned shaving their face. Does anyone do this or know about it? Like what do you use and how often? Does the hair come back stubbly? Shock Dying to know, maybe I'll try it for the fine hair on my upper lip and cheeks. Janet
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 9:26 am      Reply with quote
Hi

I wouldn't recommend shaving your face if you're female(?) A cream would be better, no it doesn't come back stubbly, but it's one of those things that once you start you have to keep doing.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 9:28 am      Reply with quote
Sorry, just seen your name and I guess if you're called Janet you're female! Embarassed
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 9:35 am      Reply with quote
I work with a lady who so obviously shaves her upper lip. It looks baaaad, because she has this thick stubble. My boyfriend has less stubble. Shame on you Shame on me, I shouldn't be catty! I would recommend using a depilitory for your face. You'll get a much more natural look, and you'll only have to do it once every couple weeks.
Nymue
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 10:25 am      Reply with quote
I guess this is different for everyone. I have fine blonde hairs on my upper lip. I feel that they are noticeable, especially when I have on makeup. I shave the area maybe once a month (with the grain, of course). It takes that long for it to grow back enough for it to be noticeable again. I have not noticed any difference in the texture of the hair at all. I've spoken to other women that do the same thing with no problems.
I've used depilatory creams, but they are very irritating for me and don't get all of the hair off. For me, shaving is a simple and effective solution.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 10:40 am      Reply with quote
My vote goes for waxing. Most salons will wax all the peach fuzz from your face, and the results last for weeks! Plus, it makes your skin smoother, so your make up looks better!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 11:29 am      Reply with quote
Janet I have only known one woman who shaved her face. She did it for exfoliation not hair removal and she did it everyday. Her face looked fine to me and she said she never had any problems with stubble, etc.
ellyp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 3:45 pm      Reply with quote
I have stubborn black hairs on my chin and neck. I have tried waxing, depilitories, plucking and shaving. The waxing and the depilitories are both waaaaaay too irritating for me (cause MAJOR breakouts) so I resorted to shaving. Problem: ingrown hairs -- and practically all at once! I have resorted to just plucking but, out of all those choices, it takes forever and is soooo annoying. If you are prone to acne, shaving is hard on your skin.
ellyp
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
I have stubborn black hairs on my chin and neck. I have tried waxing, depilitories, plucking and shaving. The waxing and the depilitories are both waaaaaay too irritating for me (cause MAJOR breakouts) so I resorted to shaving. Problem: ingrown hairs -- and practically all at once! I have resorted to just plucking but, out of all those choices, it takes forever and is soooo annoying. If you are prone to acne, shaving is hard on your skin.
skin care addict
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 4:03 pm      Reply with quote
I have very light hair color,and I shave my upper lip and face and neck.It helps with exfoliation.It didnt grow back in thicker and darker,as I had heard in the past.Its free and I can do it myself,whenever I feel like it.I try to pluck those nasty chin hairs,I have 2 that always come back.
Skin care addict Smile
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 4:58 pm      Reply with quote
I used to before I started waxing. I have very fine light blonde hairs though so even if I left them alone they'd probably only be noticable to me. I probably only had to do it once a month or so and it never grows back thicker or dark or anything. I may go back to it at some point because the waxing hurts and irritates my skin sometimes and the shaving never did. Also its GREAT for exfoliation like someone else said. Maybe its taboo for women to be doing but I think alot more are than admit it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
I've been shaving my face for over 40 years and have suffered no ill effects from it. I do think it's one of the last taboos for women to admit to doing.
tammymamtam
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
i have shaved my upper lip chin and neck for years! and its not gotten darker or thicker. but i do have to do it every other day. i use to use suave shave minimizing lotion an d could shave once a week but i cant seem to find it any more. guess they stopped making it. too bad it worked great.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 5:37 pm      Reply with quote
DO NOT SHAVE YOUR FACE!! when you shave, hair will grow back at a faster rate and more course and thick! I've seen girls who have shaved their faces and it is obvious.
What I do about my facial hairs is to get it threaded. Threading hurts like hell, but when it's over is much better than shaving or waxing.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
whenever I get a chemical peel, she uses a straight razor on my face prior to the peel. There is a special name for it, and at this time I can't remember what its called. I don't see any difference between this and using a razor with a handle. It is done to exfoliate the face.
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
dermaplaning is the term I was looking for!
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 22, 2006 6:21 pm      Reply with quote
Chrissie wrote:
dermaplaning is the term I was looking for!

Yes, I have heard of this and you're right, its no different than shaving! I think this is a case by case basis for everyone, some women who shave may have it come in thicker, faster, or quicker and others may not. I do prefer waxing to shaving but I don't think shaving causes any ill effects.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 1:00 am      Reply with quote
What about bleaching? Can be a method to minimise the appearance of facial hair without getting rid of it?

Very Happy
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 1:33 am      Reply with quote
Hay, thanks so much for the great replies. I guess I never thought to put that yes I'm a woman, anyway. I have tried cream depilatories in the past on the upper lip but they cause irritation. Are there newer products that cause less irritation? Also for those who do shave their faces, what do you use: like shaving cream and a razer or do you use one of those small handheld battery powered micro-shavers? Very interesting topic! I'm just thankful that my facial hair is fine and blond, even though the hair on my head isn't.LOL. Thanks. Janet.
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 12:02 am      Reply with quote
If you prefer to tweeze you may want to check out http://www.emjoi.com/ A lot of women rave about it and I am going to get one myself.
Jeannine
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 5:20 am      Reply with quote
I have really light fine hair (peach fuzz) on the upper lip/chin area, and I shave about once a week to deal with it. I really don't think anyone can tell, and I've never noticed it grow back thicker or faster. I find depilatories to be too irritating, and I don't think they are very healthy considering the skin is a big sponge.

For those pesky black chin whiskers -- electrolysis.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
If shaving made your hair grow back darker, thicker, corser, faster etc. All bald men (and women) would shave their heads and other people would not be making billions of dollars a year selling hair re-growth products and systems.

As for what to use. It's basically whatever you like. I use whatever razor I grab but it is best to keep one for your face only. It's important to have the area wet, although I have dry shaved, this will help you get a closer shave. You can use shaving cream, soap or moisturizer.
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 25, 2006 9:35 am      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:
DO NOT SHAVE YOUR FACE!! when you shave, hair will grow back at a faster rate and more course and thick! I've seen girls who have shaved their faces and it is obvious.
What I do about my facial hairs is to get it threaded. Threading hurts like hell, but when it's over is much better than shaving or waxing.

I don't think it actually makes the hair grow any faster or darker--the problem is that shaving leaves the hair with a blunt end which is much more noticeable and thicker than the natural end of hair when it comes out of your skin.

I used to shave my upper lip--or pluck the individual hairs b/c there's not THAT many but enough that it bothers me. Now I wax--I find that Surgiwax microwaveable hard wax for Face is really good. It's easy, doesn't hurt too much b/c it's such a small area, and I have minimal irritation. I use an icecube afterwards for a few minutes, and in less than an hour it looks fine.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 25, 2006 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
I would advise proceeding with caution. I have heard doctors actually recommending women shave their faces in order to exfoliate and that it won't grow in darker or courser. As for me, I have used a hair trimmer on my upper lip and chin since plucking was getting too laborious for me (what can I say, they just kept growing in more and more), and I don't know if a trimmer is similar to using a razor, but I ended up with sooo many black hairs all over my chin, neck and face that I have resorted to laser hair removal to get rid of them all. Though the lip hair pretty much lightened on it's own.. Rolling Eyes
yaling111
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:55 am      Reply with quote
I would never do it, they will grow very hairy after u shave it...
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |