Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Have you heard about or used Neutrogena Age Sheild Suncreen?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
Have you heard about or used the new Neutrogena Age Sheild Sunscreen.

I read about it recently... I has an SPF of 45 and uses a new blend of ingredients to mimic a popular ingredient used in European sunscreens that blocks both UVA and UVB rays, which most US sunscreens don't.

I just looked it up on Amazon.com and this is what it says:

Neutrogena Age Shield Sunblock with Helioplex, SPF 45, 4-Ounce Tube
# 4-ounce tube of sunblock with Helioplex--the most advanced sun protection technology available in the U.S.
# Shields skin six layers deep from aging UVA rays
# Powerful antioxidants combat free radicals that accelerate signs of aging
# Skin conditioners hydrate and replenish skin, leaving it soft and supple
# Non-greasy, oil-free, non-comedogenic, fragrance-free, waterproof, sweat-proof

This is on my must buy list, but I would love to hear from anyone who has tried this.

Thanks a bunch!
tidieu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
I hope it's available in Canada soon!
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
I read about it in the June issue of Good Housekeeping. I do not recall if they mentioned selling this in Canada, but if they sell Neutrogena in Canada I would think that they would sell this product too.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
it's funny you mention this, I was just tuning into the weatherchannel and they were talking about this ingredient in some of the new sunscreens for the summer...at least the US is doing SOMETHING to help us with uva protection..but i'd like to do some research on this ingredient before giving it a try.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 10:31 pm      Reply with quote
hmm...apparently helioplex is just avobenzone with oxybenzone...which...we've known about for some time:/. I don't like avobenzone...nope

info:
http://www.realsimplerewards.com/rsn/microsites/neutrogena_helioplex.html

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 23, 2006 11:03 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Avobenzone is one of the best UVA absorbers, while Oxybenzone is a very good UVB absorber with some UVA absorbency. Together with the patented Helioplex stabilizing technology, these two sunscreen ingredients complement each other for high, broad spectrum and photostable coverage.

Thank you for the link, purpleturtle!

It seems that Helioplex is a stabilizing ingredient that makes oxybenzone and avobenzone work together differently.

I am not familiar with the ingredients on their own, what is it that you do not like?
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 12:47 am      Reply with quote
A couple years ago I used a neutrogena sunblock that had parsol 1789 (avobenzone)..I'm not sure what other ingredients were included, but i got horrible heat rashes when exposed to sunlight. Apparently avobenzone when mixed with certain other sunscreen agents or by itself can be degrade very very quickly...Which might explain why i always got bad reactions on my skin wearing it:(

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 12:48 am      Reply with quote
A couple years ago I used a neutrogena sunblock that had parsol 1789 (avobenzone)..I'm not sure what other ingredients were included, but i got horrible heat rashes when exposed to sunlight. Apparently avobenzone when mixed with certain other sunscreen agents or by itself can be degrade very very quickly...Which might explain why i always got bad reactions on my skin wearing it:(

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 12:52 am      Reply with quote
Perhaps the helioplex will stop that from happening?

If you really wanted to try it you could write them and ask for a sample telling them why... or maybe see if you can find a European sunscreen with the good stuff.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 12:58 am      Reply with quote
i dunno...i think it's the same stuff really. I periodically look at sunscreens and their ingredients in stores..and the neutrogena hasn't really updated. They've had the avobenzone for years but i think they are trying to educate people that it is one of the best we have for us in the U.S. I'm excited to try my La roche posay sunscreen this week and see how i like that. Maybe your skin will react nice to the neutrogena sunblocks, but personally i've never reacted well to anything in their line (moisturizer, foundation, suncreen, ect.) Hopefully mexoryl will be approved for the U.S soon has rumor has it..*Crosses fingers*

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 10:34 am      Reply with quote
These new sunscreens from Neutrogena, the Age Shield and SPF 55, are *supposed* to be stable, not the Dry Touch SPF 30 or 35 (can't remember the value) it's still not stable. I have a sensitivity to most chemical sunscreens but am so tempted to try the two new stable ones from Neutrogena, just maybe they will work for me. They are matte though, not the moisturizing type, for those who are dry it may not be comfortable.
tidieu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 11:05 am      Reply with quote
I hope they are matt since have oily skin and all the suncreens I tried made me look shiny.
tinamarie8
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
I bought the Age Shield 45 to use this summer when I am actually outside in the sun. I only tried it once, and my skin seemed to like it. It didn't make my skin feel more oily than usual. I bought it because I read that it is stable and is better than most US sunscreens.

Tina
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
I dunno purple, while I have SPF in all of the daytime moisturizers that I would use I grew up on the Cape, so I have more than my fair share of sun damage... What attracts me to it is that it is being recommended by physicians because of the UVB and UVA protection...

I have not had a lot of luck with Neutrogena products in the past myself, however for about $8 or $9 a bottle I can certainly pass it on to my male counterpart or my son if I do not like it as they will use anything... lmao!

I am hoping that mexoryl will be approved soon as well, as I would love to try it and see what all the hype is about.
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 9:01 pm      Reply with quote
I heard the reason they re-formulated Neutrogena s/s is because they were unstable.

tidieu, if I lived in Canada where they have Tinsorb in their s/s, I sure wouldn't be buying this stuff Rolling Eyes

I don't like Avobenzone either. It isn't very stable and lots of people, including me, have a bad reaction to it. I've also read it starts to degrade as soon as sunlight hits it!

I had to buy some s/s today for my hands and arms so I stopped in Walgreens and got some of this. It went on nicely and wasn't greasy. I'm not sure how well it worked. My arms still feel hot and I've been out of the sun for almost 8 hours!
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 24, 2006 10:56 pm      Reply with quote
well i don't think theres no reason you should not try the new formulation bosoxy, but i don't think it's always the best to trust a dermotologist or physician...they might just be going along on the bandwagon and promoting this formulation since it's the best thing we have so far against UVA protection. I think if people don't have sensitive skin this stuff might work awesome..i just have a bad memory with avobenzone so im too stubborn to try the new stuff hehe. Also i just am paranoid that anything that degrades on its own that quickly brings concern on how precisely it needs to be blended in order to remain stable when exposed to sunlight. oh well.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 25, 2006 9:02 am      Reply with quote
purpleturtle wrote:
Also i just am paranoid that anything that degrades on its own that quickly brings concern on how precisely it needs to be blended in order to remain stable when exposed to sunlight. oh well.

I'm not sure about the sensitivity but I do think they've solved the degrading issue, it no longer degrades when exposed to light which is what is meant when a sunscreen is considered stable.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 25, 2006 9:05 am      Reply with quote
i'm aware of that...what i meant was that though they claim it is stable, any ingredient that has a history of degrading like that is something i don't feel like giving a second chance to...stable or not. i'd much rather invest in other sunscreen ingredients and see my luck there.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 25, 2006 9:36 am      Reply with quote
purpleturtle wrote:
i'm aware of that...what i meant was that though they claim it is stable, any ingredient that has a history of degrading like that is something i don't feel like giving a second chance to...stable or not. i'd much rather invest in other sunscreen ingredients and see my luck there.

Ah, I see! Smile Good luck finding the right product! I just love your skin, gorgeous!
tidieu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 25, 2006 9:47 am      Reply with quote
I don't think we have Tinsorb sunscreens in Canada yet, just mexoryl. The Avene sunscreen in Canada still does not have Tinsorb.
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 25, 2006 11:36 am      Reply with quote
You are right, tidieu, we don't have Tinsorb, we do have Mexoryl SX but not LX which is what they have in Europe. SX in the pre LX version of Mexoryl.
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 25, 2006 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
Purple, I can totally understand where you are coming from! When a person has a bad reaction to an ingredient it is probably not a good idea to jump in and try it again... lol!

For those who do not have a sensitivity to that ingredient, I do hope that the product works as it is supposed to as we certainly do not need to be the aging meter pumped into overdrive by the sun!
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 25, 2006 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
The octocrylene they added to their new formulations is what is stabilizing the avobenzone. They finally caught on to what has been known in other countries for a while. Since they sell internationally, can't imagine why their chemists overseas didn't call 'em on this a while back.

Oxybenzone is a powerful UVB blocker but it is also absorbed by the skin at a much higher level than other chemical sunscreens. Perhaps using on your face (not much surface area there)would be okay but I would not use a sunscreen all over my body on a regular basis that had oxybenzone in it.

By the way, the ratio of avobenzone to octocrylene has to be about 5 parts avo to 4 parts octo.

Also, though I am a LaRochePosay Dermo-Pediatrics spf 40 spray user 4ever!!, I received a free bottle of the Cellular Skin Rx Sunaway sunscreen. It has a nice texture to it and was not greasy - a softer matte finish. It's got the avo/octo mix plus some C and E to help with free radical protection.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 25, 2006 11:14 pm      Reply with quote
i would imagine a more potent absorber = more heat to the skin. This explains why in the summers when i put the chemical sunscreens on my body, it feels likes its overheating:( i really don't think chemical sunscreens like me much. All people ever say is "oh my god you are heating up!" and my arms and chest will turn red...i blame the fact it happens only when its hot outside when this does happen, but the fact the chemical ingredients are absorbing the uv rays can explain why i get such bad reactions...my skin is seriously the devil..Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 26, 2006 8:25 am      Reply with quote
My skin is no where as pale as yours, purpleturtle, but I react the same way to chemical sunscreens. Prepregnancy I was sensitive but now it's just rediculous. And I haven't been pregnant now for 5+ years! I see vains all over my body even though I have a slight tan on my arms and fake tan on my legs, maybe it's just thin. The Age Sheild looked great and I was going to try it until I saw how much silica it has, I think the chemical sunscreen and high silica would totally stress my skin out.

I'm going to stick with Clinique City Block SPF 15 Sheer. It has silica but not so much and titanium and zinc for filters. It's not the best but it is the best I can find. I have tried other non-chemical sunscreens Paula's Choice was fabulous for finish under foundation was awesome but I quickly started breaking out, Avene SPF 25 Lait Lotion is really thick and greasy, otherwise it was fine, just not very cosmetically elegant.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:22 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |