Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How to apply sunscreen properly?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 26, 2006 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hello beautiful ladies, I am trying my first purchase of European sunscreen thanks to all of your help and info. It is the Avene 50+ spray and it sprays into the hand completely white. How many sprays is a good amount to use on the face? Today I used three, spread it on and did not rub it in, leaving a very noticeable white cast that I covered with makeup. Laughing Is this the right way to apply it? Should I spread it on kinda thick and let it dry or rub it in?
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 26, 2006 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
This is a good question. Too little may not give us proper protection.

We also have to remember using a good make-up remover to clean the face thoroughly if we apply SPF 30 or over.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 27, 2006 12:32 am      Reply with quote
You need to rub it in properly. I cant use the recommended 1/4 ts of my avene spray, it looks to shiny so I'm probably reducing the protection but ah well...... Smile I dont care that much.

I tipped some into a 1/4 ts measuring spoon so i could get an idea of how much to use but i just could not put it all on my face Confused
donnababe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 27, 2006 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
You are supposed to use 1/4 teaspoon to get the full SPF. I'm with Carolb, if it's too shiney for you, use a little less. Oh, IIRC, I think that's the amount for face AND neck.
Ocha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 27, 2006 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
Just read an article regarding the guide for applying sunscreen. HTH
A> 2 ml for each cm sqare, thus approx. 1.6ml is requred for the whole face
B> don't forget to put sunscreen on those easily neglected area such as back of the neck, chin & ears.
C> apply sunscreen 30 minutes before sun exposure. Reapply every 2 hours if going for swimming.
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 27, 2006 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you ocha! I just did a quick conversion and 1.6ml comes to 1/3 teaspoon. Is this for face and neck? I hope so. Today I rubbed mine in and it was alot better, just a little shiny. It's kind of like when I get that mild sweat from running a few blocks. Has anyone noticed when washing their face that it stings if it gets into the eyes? Do you put this on your eyelids?
puglove
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 27, 2006 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
Does that mean that sunscreen in moisturizer isn't as affective?
Ocha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 27, 2006 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hi pnw, I think 1.6ml is enough for the face and ears only...you need to apply another 1.6ml for the neck(both front and back) and the decollete area. Do you have oily skin and think it's too much to make your skin looks shinny? Maybe you should go for something oil free or put on one layer, and apply the second layer after the first layer sinks in (about 10 minutes). Don't put on more than 2 layers as it would congest your pores. HTH.
carolb69
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 28, 2006 6:02 am      Reply with quote
On the MUA boards they're all saying a 1/4 teaspoons for face only! i find it a bit congesting to use that much though. I'd rather use less. I found i had to aplly two layers to get the required amount and i cant imagine reapplying that much every two hours Confused my pores would be a mess!
pnw
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 28, 2006 11:34 am      Reply with quote
No, my skin is not oily but it does break out alot. I chose this sunscreen because it says it is non-comedogenic. I think it is oil free, too. It seems to be very moisturizing, though and I don't need much lotion before it starts to sit on top. Maybe two layers will help, and I think I'm going to use mmu evnetually also. It's really important to me to use this stuff properly because I spend alot of time outdoors in the summer.
Ocha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
pnw wrote:
Thank you ocha! I just did a quick conversion and 1.6ml comes to 1/3 teaspoon. Is this for face and neck? I hope so. Today I rubbed mine in and it was alot better, just a little shiny. It's kind of like when I get that mild sweat from running a few blocks. Has anyone noticed when washing their face that it stings if it gets into the eyes? Do you put this on your eyelids?

Hi pnw, I also did a conversion too, but I got a different result from yours...I put 10 teaspoon into a measuring cup and it was about 65ml...then I get 1.6ml should be about 1/4 teaspoon. That's why carolb69 said you should apply 1/4ts instead of 1/3ts.

I always wonder if I can put sunscreen on my eye contour. I have quite a few brown spots on my eyelids and the skin tone is much darker than the rest of my face. Then I started to realise my eyelids do need some protection. Many members in the forum have good comments on Murad Essential-C Eye Cream SPF15. I finally got that recently. Well, I still want to apply my favourite eye cream and a separate sunscreen. Can anyone tell us which sunscreen can be applied on the eyelids? TIA
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
There was a segment on CNN's "House Call" that featured sunscreens. The theme was early summer safety I think. It is on at 8.30am ET/5.30 am PT on SAT & SUN. Not sure if this program changes weekly or monthly.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 5:26 pm      Reply with quote
I just saw a special this morning on the news about applying sunscreen. A dermatologist gave a little demonstration. However I don't know how this compares to the spray on since she was talking about the lotion. She said most people don't apply nearly enough, that everytime you apply it you should apply about a shotglass size to your entire body in a real thick coat. She also said you need to reapply more often than you think, almost every hour to two hours. If I did it like this I'd go through a whole tube everyday!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
PhoebesMeow wrote:
I just saw a special this morning on the news about applying sunscreen. A dermatologist gave a little demonstration. However I don't know how this compares to the spray on since she was talking about the lotion. She said most people don't apply nearly enough, that everytime you apply it you should apply about a shotglass size to your entire body in a real thick coat. She also said you need to reapply more often than you think, almost every hour to two hours. If I did it like this I'd go through a whole tube everyday!

How often depends on how much your in the sun though, the two hour rule should only apply if your sitting there out in the sun all day ie at the beach etc and i think how good the sunscreen formulation is too, something stable like LRP should last longer than other products like say Paulas Choice sunscreen which has avobenzone that hasnt even been stabilised Confused
Ocha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 6:34 pm      Reply with quote
PhoebesMeow wrote:
If I did it like this I'd go through a whole tube everyday!

Laughing hahahaha...that seems to be the fact, but who will follow it strictly?
Bee
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:25 am      Reply with quote
Hi.

I have a question: Yesterday I read in some health and fitness mag that sunscreen needs to applied first, to clean, bare skin, in order to be absorbed and to be fully effective. Does anyone know if this is true?

I moved to Miami from up north 4 months ago, and sunscreen has suddenly become extremely important to me.

Today I applied only Neutrogena Age Shield after cleansing, followed by mineral make-up.

Aside from feeling a little greasy (I put a ton of the sunscreen on), my skin feels pretty good -- plus it's nice to simplify the morning routine!

I think that I'm going to get shiny pretty quickly, but I guess that' just a fact of life around here in the summer!

-- Bee
Anna_in_Sweden
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:35 pm      Reply with quote
This doesn't have to do with the application of sunscreen but it has to do with sunscreen in general. The article link below is about Mexoryl and why it is so effective as a sunscreen. Currently it is not available (legally) for sale in the US which is why so many buy theirs from Canada or Europe. Europe now only uses the Mexoryl XL whereas before they used Mexoryl XS. Both are good but the XL is better. Currently I read that Canada still uses the XS. That is still better than none but the XL provides better coverage.

This article was taken from ABC News in America.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Health/story?id=858453&page=1
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |