Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Flaking skin no more!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
zazu
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:15 am      Reply with quote
Hi all -okay, I am finally ready, once and for all, to eliminate the flaking skin I often get around my nose, between my eyebrows and sometimes under my bottom lip. I just don't understand the problem. I do use the vit-c serum, but I also use hydration serum and good moisturizers, day and night, and gentle cleansers. It has been like this since High School! I'm 31 now. And I am so sick of it. Often, when I wear foundation, the horrible flaking area is so terribly obvious. Does anyone have a suggestion? Is it that I need a good exfoliator? I am at my wits end. MadMad
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
Well I guess your moisturizers aren't good afterall. Sounds like the vitamin c is drying out your skin. I have had great success with the Elizabeth Grant serums. Super hyration 24 hrs a day!Very Happy
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Zazu !

Two things I never used to do until about eight years ago-- exfoliate or use a mask.... using a mask is less important, although I now have seen the benefits to my skin's condition and moisture levels. But with exfoliating, you've hit the nail on the head with the flakiness problem-- exfoliation is key to getting rid of the dead skin cells that sit on the surface and cause your complexion to look dull. Twice a week, you'll find that it will not only get rid of your flaky problem but your skin will also look more vibrant.

If you have dry skin that may be a little on the sensitive side, you might like to try the Phytomer Vegetal Exfoliant-- I apply it on my eyebrows as well as I also get flakiness around there (one place I can't moisturise or apply sunblock hence skin dryness). I like it better than the Dermalogica Microfoliant. I love using a soft cotton face cloth to gently help slough off dead skin when rinsing.... finishing off by saturating the cloth with cold water and 'bathing' my face in it before I pat dry and start my moisturization routine. Cold water is so good for your skin and closes the pores tight.

Summertimegirl xVery Happy
Alexis52
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
Is your skin oily or dry in general? The areas that you mentioned as having flakes seem to be areas that would produce more oil - Tzone stuff. The two exfoliators I like (adult oily here) are Derma. Microfoliant and Karen Herzog Mild Scrub. Also, I'm loving the Dermalogica (or is it Skinceuticals ?:P) Overnite Renew. That has helped my skin sluff off that extra skin very nicely. HTH Alexis
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
Zazu, (BTW, thanks so much for the Karin Herzog milk cleanser rec., I love it!!!) I agree with all the above regarding flakiness. Try Exfoliating, perhaps adding a serum to your routine which helps to make the moisturizer penetrate better, moisturizing masks, and maybe using a richer night cream. Good luck!

Alexis would love to hear a review of the Karin Herzog mild scrub... I would love to try more of his products (named after his wife who assisted him).
zazu
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:39 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestions, EDS pals! I think I really must get an exfoliator - thanks summertimegirl! I am going to follow your advise and get the Phytomer Vegetal Exfoliant: once I read your comment re: flaky eyebrows, I knew we have the same issue going on! YAY!Very HappyVery Happy BTW, can I just say that I am in Boston right now and my skin is just LOVING all the humidity. The minute I got out of the airport I felt like a dry sponge absolutely SOAKING up the moisture! Within three seconds of arrival back in Denver, however, all will be lost...I'm enjoying it while it lasts!
zazu
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:40 am      Reply with quote
Thoughtcrime: THRILLED that you're liking the KH milk! I thought it was just lovely.
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
Zazu,

Are you sure you don't have seborrheic dermatitis? The most common places for SD are around the nose, between eyebrows, in the eyebrows etc. Check out this article:
Seborrhea

If you do have SD, exfoliating will only help a little. You will need to watch what you use on your face very carefully and may even need rx med.

Good luck!
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:52 am      Reply with quote
Hello,

Believe it or not, sometimes exfoliating your skin is not the key to getting rid of dryness and flakiness. The answer is hydration.

If you have dryness and flakiness it could very well be that something you are using is causing it. It could be the vitamin C (and I say that because of my own experiences with the C serums which severly dried out my skin.) But, then again it could be something else. Maybe your cleanser is just too drying for you skin type. Some cleansers contain so many chemicals and additives that they could irritate any skin.

Until you find out the cause of your problem try Dr. Hauschka's Rose Day Cream which offers super hydration. You can by it at all health food stores. It contains organically grown botanicals that soothe and hydrate and heal the skin.

I know I go against what everyone else is saying about exfoliation, but this is just my opinion bases upon my own experiences with extremely dry skin.
alohagirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:23 am      Reply with quote
I agree with leeleedeedee.

Try exfoliating, but if it only works temporarily, look for the cause. Vitamin C, ingredient allergies, or even products with too low of a ph can cause flaking.
zazu
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
Good gracious! Thank you all so much for the very helpful replies! I have been away for the last week so I'm sorry I didn't check in before now. I am going to try a combination of exfoliating AND the Dr. Hauschka cream. What would I ever do without this forum!
cuties
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:28 pm      Reply with quote
It may be seborrheic dermatitis; flaking between eyebrows & nose is an indication. If it is you should try to use only gentle, fragrance free products and stay away from heavy creams & lotions. Don't over exfoliate because it can make it worse.
medicea

Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
Medicea Terre D'oriente has a great product that could help with that. Its a night nutrient cream / hydrating cream. Take a look.
http://www.terredoriente.com/level.itml/icOid/106
summertimegirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:34 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by mtview

Are you sure you don't have seborrheic dermatitis? The most common places for SD are around the nose, between eyebrows, in the eyebrows etc. Check out this article:
Seborrhea

Hello Mtview!

Thanks for providing the link re: seborrheic dermatitis-- it was a really informative and interesting read and glad to know that I don't have it-- just the occasional flaky skin in the eyebrow area when exposed to sun for too long, not to the degree that it's described. (Phew!) Wink

Leeleedeedee,

Thanks for pointing out a gentle line of products as Dr. Hauschka's-- the Rose Day Cream has received some favourable write-ups lately, also I didn't know that you can buy this line in health food stores so THANK YOU !

leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:51 am      Reply with quote
Hello Summertimegirl,

You're Welcome!! It's nice to be of some help to others!

To me, Dr. Hauschka's Rose Day Cream is comparable to Creme De La Mer, but that's my own opinion. I love the Rose Day Cream and have gone through a couple of tubes of it by now. But, I live in Canada (brrrrrrr!) and have very dry skin. If you have normal/oily skin you can put it on just the dry areas. Personally, I love the fact that it's made with pure, organically grown botanicals because that's where I'm at with skin care. I hope you can find it at your health food store (you should be able to) if not, just go into the Dr. Hauschka's website (yes, they have one) and you may be able to find the store nearest you. There's also the saffron rouge website that carries Dr. Hauschka's products. It has a U.S/Canadian website, but I don't know if they ship internationally. Although you didn't ask, I'm also using Dr. Hauschka's sunscreen (spf 20) because it's ingredients are botanical with Titanium Dioxide as the sunscreen agent and for my sensitive skin this is wonderful! I have a big problem because mose sunscreens irritate or burn my skin.

I know I have given you more info than you've asked for, sorry! That's a problem of mine. I can go on and on and on.

Anyways, good luck with the cream!
babyfish
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:11 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by summertimegirl

the occasional flaky skin in the eyebrow area when exposed to sun for too long, not to the degree that it's described. (Phew!) Wink

I, too, sometimes get flaky skin above my eyebrows. The last few weeks, I've been using Cellcosmet Eye Contour Cream and because it's so gentle and safe to use all around my eyes I put some on my eyebrows too. Maybe I'm just quite optimistic but the flaky skin is no more and I think my eyebrows are more...uhm... luscious, can I say that?:P:P:P
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:30 am      Reply with quote
Hi Summertimegirl,

Dermadoctor.com does have some very informative articles. I am happy to hear that you don't have SD. I have been living with SD for years and it drives me crazy

Mad
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:39 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |