Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Need Recommendations for a Bathroom Scale!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 6:49 am      Reply with quote
I currently have a cheap scale that I am at my wits end with because it is so innacurate...it gives different readings depending on how you stand on it, or where you place it. Granted, given how much I paid for the thing, I shouldn't expect much! Laughing However, I think I'm ready to shell out a bit more and get something that is more accurate.

Any suggestions would be more than welcome!

Mary Smile
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 8:03 am      Reply with quote
I've bought many scales over the years, and in my experience, the worst scales are the electronic ones - too many variables - and the best one I ever had (still have it -(8 years now) are Salters. This one is the most accurate one I've ever owned. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 8:14 am      Reply with quote
Just remember, your weight varies thru out the day. Always weigh yourself at the same time of day. Make sure the scale is level and not on a carpeted surface.

Don't fret over the numbers either, remember all a scale does is give you the mass from head to toe. Take measurements, have your body fat tested. Those will give a complete picture, not just part of it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 8:18 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, sportygirl! How funny that you said that you found electronic scales to be the worst...I've had the same experience! I was always told they were the best, so I tried them but they ended up being about as innacurate as the one I have now...only I paid five times as much for them as the piece of crap I have now! Laughing I looked up the Salter scales online...which model do you have, if you don't mind my asking? And do you have to buy them online, or do retail outlets carry them?

And Candy, you're so right...I try not to be a slave to the scale, because it's true that it only gives a part of the picture. As for body fat testing, do you think the digital "do it yourself" machines work, or do you really need to go to a professional to get an accurate body fat reading?

Mary Smile
Candy8865
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 8:28 am      Reply with quote
I have calipurs. They give a pretty accurate number +/- 1% (I seem to recall). The most accurate form of measuring is in a water tank. They dunk ya!!

Because I'm always curious and was looking for a faster way to measure clients I bought the electronic 1. Not very consistant, I could do mine 3x in a row and get 3 different numbers. Once I got the hang of it though it did ok. But trying to explain to someone else how to hold and stand would never work for me anyway.

Your gym or doc should be able to do this for you.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 8:37 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, Candy! You just reminded me...I think I do have some calipers somewhere! I seem to recall I bought them years ago, but never really used them...like a lot of the fitness gadgets I've collected over time! Laughing I know I didn't throw them away, though...so I'm off to dig through the cabinets to see where they're hiding!

Mary Smile
sportygirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 10:10 am      Reply with quote
Mary - I can't find a model no. on it anywhere, but do remember buying it at a department store. Sears maybe, or the Bay!? Can't quite remember..... It's the age thing you know...

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 10:14 am      Reply with quote
i know that feeling...this is why I try to avoid weighing myself:( do you keep your scale in the bathroom? Supposedly, as my mom claims, the reading can be inaccurate in bathrooms due to the surface/humidity? I'm not quite sure, i just know she keeps ours in the kitchen. Ours is horrible..you have to step on it, then step off. Step back on and wait for the suspense of seeing that horrid number...and hoping nobody else is around..hehe.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 10:32 am      Reply with quote
Mary -if you go to-

http://www.aardvark-shop.co.uk/personal_care-5.html and look at the Salter 146BKCRDR mechanical bathroom scale, this is very similar to the one I have. Mine is about 8 years old, so the styles have changed a little.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 12:34 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much, sportygirl...that link helped a lot! At least now I know what to look for. And I think this is a good price range...about $50-$60 USD. The super cheap ones just don't work as well, so I think I'll just have to fork over the $$ to get better quality!

Purpleturtle, I do keep my scale in the bathroom...I've never heard about humidity, etc. affecting the numbers, but I will choose to believe that is the problem whenever I see a reading I don't like from now on! Laughing At any rate, your scale sounds just like mine...you have to jump off and on, and even then, I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is real! Confused

Mary Smile
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 4:04 pm      Reply with quote
I heard that it's always best to weigh yourself in the morning (before you eat). Laughing
Mary H.
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 5:18 pm      Reply with quote
You're right, Yen! That's always when I weigh myself...right when I get up, before I've had as much as a sip of coffee. I need every advantage I can get! Laughing

Mary
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 8:13 pm      Reply with quote
Mary, you crack me up. Laughing
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:08 am      Reply with quote
I have been using a bathroom scale which is made in Japan for more than 10 years and it is still so accurate.

Last year I bought another one(also made in Japan)in a Japanese Department store during my trip in HK. The cost is only C$15.00. I like it too.
Smoky1
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
I've had a relatively inexpensive digital scale from "HouseWorks" for about 10 years now. It has been great for about 8 years and in the last while is just not consistent. I'm thinking of replacing it - and getting a body scale and body fat monitor combined. Has anyone used these combined scales? Any suggestions? I've heard good things about Tanita. Anything else? I am also going to do some internet searches and see what other people are saying about these combined digital scales.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
I've had a Tanita scale for about 10 yrs. I don't have problems with inconsistent numbers (even though sometimes I wish it would! Shock ). It measures body fat through the soles of your feet. I have heard if you use this kind of scale, it measures the body fat of your lower body, whereas the ones you hold in your hands measure the body fat in your upper body (I have had pretty drastic differences in the two kinds - & I'm definitely a bit bottom heavy).

But I love my Tanita. I think I've only changed batteries in it about 3 times over the 10+ yrs. Granted, I've gone through periods of time where I was NOT weighing myself everyday Rolling Eyes ...

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:30 am      Reply with quote
Yeah. I know what you mean about wishing for inconsistent numbers!

By the way, what kind of price range is your Tanita? Just curious.

They seem to come in a wide range, and I tend to me a middle of the road kind of person, so will look for the mid range.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:41 am      Reply with quote
I second Tanita. I bought mine online so many years ago (at least 8 years) for $40. It got the body fat measurement, too. It's digital, and is still going strong. I heard of them when I went to Thailand, and used my mom's scale. It was Tanita. Someone gave it to her as a present. I loved it b/c it was so accurate. So I searched online and found one, and bought it. I know it's accurate b/c I used to weigh myself b4 going to the doctor's office, and without eating/drinking anything else and wearing the same clothes, I found I weighed the same at the doctor's office.
marci65
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:45 am      Reply with quote
I have read for years that Tanita makes excellent bathroom scales. I am "using up" Laughing my existing Health-o-Meter brand digital bathroom scale. It won't seem to break and I can't justify buying a new one until it does. My requirements are large digital display and weight increments in units of 1/2 pound or less.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:08 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |