Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Hair Color Fading
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 10:05 am      Reply with quote
It is now summer and I am outdoors more. I know I should wear a hat but that is not always convenient. My hair color fades in the summer months. Medium brown with copper highlights is the color of my hair. After a week or two my hair is turning an ugly orange color/getting too light. Suggestions please. Pray
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 10:09 am      Reply with quote
They have certain shampoos that protect the hair against UV...i'm not sure exactly how considering shampoo just washes down the drain...maybe it puts a coating on the hair? this reply might not especially since i haven't tried them...but i would definitely look into those kinds of products.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 10:22 am      Reply with quote
The same thing has been happening to me in the warmer weather! I use the Clairol Natural Instincts demi-permanent dye (because I hate to see "roots") in light brown, and I feel like when I'm in the sun my hair has been looking orangish lately. When I ask other people what color my hair is, they say it doesn't look orange, but it's just the sun giving me highlights. Who knows?! I put 1 T of ACV in my shampoo to try to keep the color from fading, but I don't use shampoos specifically designed for "color-treated" hair. Maybe this is the secret? Lately, every time I catch a glimpse of my hair in my car's rear view mirror, I cringe! Anxious

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
Pureology makes a great product called Colormax UV color defense that helps to keep hair from fading.
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 3:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I highly recommend Graham Webb hair products, esp. the ruby red shampoo and conditioner for red highlights. (I now have blonde,as well as red so do not use it, may turn the blonde pink, lol!) ALso pureology nanoworks? (I think that is the name), it is a shampoo and conditioner, great for colour treated hair as well, hths. Very Happy
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
I use Vibrant Shine Mist for color treated hair by Joico (Color Endurance)
It has sunscreens and antioxidants. You just spray it in your hair after blow drying and it should make your hair shine as well as protect it from the sun so it wont fade.
tammymamtam
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
colorsmart by matrix has a great leave in and shampoo for people who color. i use alterna cavier for color.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 30, 2006 4:33 am      Reply with quote
I posted this a long while back in one of the threads discussing color treated hair. It was advice that I specifically gave for someone with red color-treated hair, but the hints I posted are useful for ANYONE with color treated hair:

carekate wrote:
My hair is also colored red (and brown, auburn, gold, amber, copper, etc.!!). Unfortunately, red hair dyes are the ones that fade the quickest so here's a few tips that I utilize to help keep my color to stay "true."

Note: these tips can be used for anyone with color-processed hair, but for those with dyed red hair, they are "mandatory" to help maintain your look:

Use only cool or cold water to wet/rinse your hair when you're in the shower. This is vitally important! Warm or hot water helps to open up the hair cuticle and make it more phorus, and when the hair cuticle is opened/phorus, your red hair dye is going to leach right out of the hair shaft and straight down the drain. By using cool/cold water, the hair shaft will stay sealed and your color will remain inside the cuticle;

Use only a shampoo and conditioner specifically designed for color-treated hair (let me know if you need brand recommendations). These products contain ingredients that are less harsh and so will help to protect the cuticle to prevent the dye from being stripped out of your hair;

Add a tablespoon of cider vinegar to your bottle of shampoo. Hair dyes have a high alkaline level so your hair needs the acid in the vinegar to help maintain a normal PH level, which in turn helps ensure that the hair cuticles stay sealed so the color won't leach out. Another benefit of the vinegar is it acts as a (gentle) clarifier to help cut thru product buildup on your hair so you get shinier hair everytime...and in case your worried that your hair will end up smelling like vinegar or the inside of a Fish & Chips Shoppe, I can assure you it won't! Adding the vinegar to your shampoo is 2nd in importance only to using cool/cold water to rinse. Since I've been doing this, I no longer see pink water running down the drain when I rinse my hair!

Use a color enhancing conditioner once or twice a week. Nothing will completely prevent your color processed hair from fading but by using the color enhancing conditioner, you are refreshing your hair color by depositing a temporary color to your hair (effects normally last for 2-3 shampoos) and this will help ensure your color looks as good as the day you walked out of the salon! Although many hair product brands offer color enhancing shampoos or conditioners, I have tried nearly all of them over the years and have found that the ones from Aveda or the Redken "Earth Tones" brand are the most effective. And you can control the intensity of the color deposited by the amount of time you leave the product in your hair, the longer you leave it, the more intense the results will be -- at a minimum, you should leave it in for at least five minutes. Be advised that when you rinse the color enhancing conditioner from your hair (using cool/cold water!!), you WILL see some pink water going down the drain...this is perfectly normal, so don't freak and think the above-mentioned vinegar trick didn't work! You're just seeing the excess pigment that couldn't be absorbed by your hair rinsing out;

Use a color protectant leave-in spray/treatment containing SPF15 or higher before using any heat appliance to blowdry or style your hair. This is the final step to lock in your color. Most people (including hair stylists!!) don't realize it, but heat appliances (blow drier, straightening iron, curling iron, etc.) and exposure to the sun can also make your color-processed hair fade more quickly!! Therefore, if you're going to be spending a lot of time in the sun (i.e.: at the beach or by the pool), in addition to the SPF color protectant leave-in spray, it's also a good idea to wear a hat or scarf to cover your hair in during exposure to intense sunlight -- besides, have you ever gotten a sunburn on your scalp??? Definitely not fun!

If you follow the above advice, I guarantee you'll find your hair color will help stay looking fab until your next salon appointment to touch up those telltale roots -- please give them a try before your appt next week and see how it goes before you decide on a change in hair color.

HTH,
Carrie

If you need specific product recommendations, just let me know!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 30, 2006 5:50 am      Reply with quote
Many thanks Smile I missed your post carekate and appreciate you directing me to it. I will start following your advice. Winnie
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:08 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |