Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Organic Red Raspberry Seed Oil
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
Has anyone seen an organic source of this oil before anywhere? Nothing comes up in any of my searches and quests for an organic supply of this oil. Thanks.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
I have the same troubles when trying to find seabuckthorn oil!!

It seems like many less well known oils don't ever come in states like organic, unrefined, cold pressed etc..

But even if you could find it.. I would imagine the price being $$$
lamicuz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
for seabuckthorn seed & fruit oil trywww.seabuckthorn.com
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 1:45 pm      Reply with quote
What are these oils for? Maybe you could try searching their scientific names Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 3:50 pm      Reply with quote
Seabuckthorn oil you can find cold pressed and organic. The best source I've seen is http://rosayfruta.com/pages/3127/Nectar_(Fruit_Antioxidant_Oil).htm

Aubrey also sells it http://www.aubrey-organics.com/product1.cfm?product_id=764A&cat=15&subcat=29

Red Raspberry Seed Oil is a strong anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and also a natural sunscreen with a rated SPF between 28-50. That's why I'm looking for it. Esp. after reading about Titanium Dioxide damaging DNA upon exposure to sunlight. "We also show that sunlight-illuminated TiO2 catalyses DNA damage both in vitro and in human cells."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9414101&dopt=Abstract
Although I don't really understand any of this science stuff or relative effects or concern.

I have found several sources of it cold pressed, I'd just also like to find a certified organic source as well if I can. So far no luck, even looking for the scientific name, Rubus Idaeus. Oh well, I guess I will have to settle for the non-organic cold pressed version, unless an organic source comes up.

"The SPF of red raspberry seed oil has been found to be equal to that of titanium dioxide and has been rated to have an SPF as high as 28-50 (Oomah et al 2000)."

http://www.naturesgift.com/carrier_oils/raspberry-seed-oil.htm
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
Interesting! Smile So it has a high spf?! Do let us know when you find a source Smile

5% products discount

Mon May 29, 2006 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hi - I've received great product from Markey at Gardenofwisdom (the usual before and afters). She carries the Red Raspberry Seed Oil (cold-pressed). I'm not sure if it is all organic, however if you dropped her a note, I'm sure she'd let you know.

Red raspberry seed oil is a good anti-inflammatory oil which is very soothing.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 29, 2006 11:56 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info BYRG.

At least if you know it is cold-pressed that it has retained most of its active properties. You could also just email the seller to ask if it is wild-crafted or something.

I have also heard that seasame oil and silk powder have some limited SPF properties too. So perhaps using these in combination can enhance the antioxidant and SPF power all together?

As regarding TO2 being damaging for the skin - I was trying to read more on the antioxidant properties of caffeine since it's used in so many products, caffeine itself also proliferates some tumour cells under certain UVA and UVB conditions.. so I guess some things actually aren't good for us once light hits them.. (I can find the article link if anyone wants it, just pm me)
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 30, 2006 2:27 am      Reply with quote
Does this mean the sunscreens/sublock with TIO2 are bad and should be avoided? Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 30, 2006 3:41 am      Reply with quote
Hi BYRG, I am sure I saw this on the Rosa Y Fruita website a few months back, you know she changes her line quite often. Just an idea; why don't you e mail Elizabeth and ask her if she can get hold of some for you?
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 30, 2006 10:03 am      Reply with quote
titanium dioxide is perfectly fine to use...one article does not mean the end of the world:D

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 30, 2006 10:07 am      Reply with quote
"However, TiO2 absorbs about 70% of incident UV, and in aqueous environments this leads to the generation of hydroxyl radicals which can initiate oxidations."

aqueous means water...water environments. Too bad this article was from almost 10 years ago and you think more research would have been done from other countries, ect.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 30, 2006 10:33 am      Reply with quote
Smoothskin:

You were correct, Rosa Y Fruita DID have seabuckthorn oil but I think I bought her extra bottle about 2 or 3 months ago.

BYRG: PM me if you want some seabuckthorn oil.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 30, 2006 11:02 am      Reply with quote
I like the idea of using raspberry seed oil as a sunblock. It sounds so natural and organic. However, does anyone know how much oil one should put on his/her face to reach spf20? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 30, 2006 11:25 am      Reply with quote
I looked into this a little and have some questions.

How much would you need to apply to reach a certain SPF? Does this offer UVA/UVB protection? Any clue as to what wavelengths of the UV spectrum this would offer protection against? Are there any tests showing that red raspberry oil is safe to use in the sun? What tests have been done to prove that this is safe to use in the sun or safe to use at all?

Okay, I guess this is bringing out the skeptic in me! I don't think I would be willing to take any chances on using this. I think I will stick with my zinc oxide!
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 30, 2006 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks. I did write Elizabeth. Her site is what first mentioned it's sunscreen properties. She said that she has some cold pressed stuff she can sell but it's not organic and once she gets her supplier to locate organic raspberry seeds they are going to custom press for her she will start selling it again. So if she has to get it custom made that way I doubt it is on the market from any supplier already, certified organic. I just thought I would check, never know if someone heard of something or knows of a little known source or something. I had never even heard of red raspberry seed oil before for skin care. It's fine, just my first preference was an organic one if was available. Not all my stuff is.

As far as the SPF the only way I know of finding out what a custom blend has is by getting it tested in a lab. Although none of these places selling any of these plant oils could do that and claim an SPF because then it makes the product classified as a drug, not a cosmetic and requires a special license and ext. testing etc. or whatever. Although many plant oils do have natural protection and absorption. This is the first one though I heard of having such a high SPF. Although I couldn't verify that unless I got it tested myself or saw a lab report from someone or something. Although I'm not such detailed or technical kind of person that I need to know the exact SPF of something. I'll know by how my skin reacts to being out in the sun for a while. It is claimed to have full spectrum UVA and UVB protection. Other oils that have sun protection I've heard are HelioCarrot Oil, Hazelnut Oil, Shea Butter, Jojoba (but very little), Pomegranate Oil, Macadamia Nut Oil, Red Palm Oil and many others. I also wear mineral makeup that has at least Zinc Oxide it that provides further protection, that has no SPF listed for it either. If you are concerned about an SPF you can also just add these kinds of oils to what you already use to provide further protection and also a ton of anti-oxidants.

I really don't know about the safety of anything. Who knows how my makeup is reacting on my skin in the sun or any oils or moisturizers, but I do prefer something that is food based. I read something about how all sunscreens that absorb UV rays have to then do something with this store energy and release it, and in doing so cause some oxidative damage to skin cells. Of course they said the overall DNA damage was not as high as unprotected skin, but nothing is really free of some damage and free radicals are everywhere. The only thing though is like the stuff about Titanium I heard is that while it does cause DNA damage etc. to cells upon UV exposure, it only matters if it is actually absorbed into the skin where it can do damage. If it is just sitting on top of the skin then it's just sitting on a layer of dead skin cells that don't matter and it won't hurt you. Although with these smaller and smaller particles of these minerals they really don't know how much if any gets absorbed into the skin or happens, perhaps under certain conditions like in the presence of absorption increaser chemicals that are in a lot of skin care products etc. It's also unclear what the degree of damage really is in a relative sense. As far as in water environments it would be relative when you are sweating in the hot sun or go swimming etc. I still think they are better then a lot of the chemical sunscreens with their gender bending oestrogen's that are linked to cancers, although neither is "natural", as they both are synthesized. But anyways, here was the info on Elizabeth's site: http://rosayfruta.com/pages/3096/FAQ.htm

MACrisis, how much SeaBuckthorn Oil do you have? Is there anything else in it? Thanks!
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 30, 2006 2:38 pm      Reply with quote
i think its good to be concerned about what we put on our skin, but i think it only makes sense that mineral makeups be micronized vs nanoparticle because we want coverage which means they cant make the particles too small...If we took everything we read about cosmetics to heart, i don't think any of us would wear makeup or sunscreen at all. Now days every time i turn on the news or pick up a newspaper/read the internet, something is on the market that is potentially dangerous, but i really think it's there to alarm us less scientific individuals to buy into what we don't completely understand.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 30, 2006 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hi
I don't have a background in science either and I don't want to get into another sunscreen fight, but from what I've read over onwww.theskincareboard.com (who do seem to know their science) the physical sunscreen scare is very hard to justify but much reported on the internet. It is one, very old study and in addition the physical screens are now micronised and encapsulated, which cuts down on free radicals being generated. There also seems to be very little evidence that raspberry seed oil has anything but the most minimal sun protection qualities. Have a search over there yourself. I can't be bothered to look up the threads I read, but they were v. convincing.
Just thought you should know.M Smile
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 30, 2006 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks guys Smile I really appreciate everyone giving their inputs objectively! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Byrg

I emailed Rosa y fruta regarding the raspberry seed oil because there is no price listed for the product. But I never got a reply Neutral

Is she still selling this oil?

TIA
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
Hey Byrg

I emailed Rosa y fruta regarding the raspberry seed oil because there is no price listed for the product. But I never got a reply Neutral

Is she still selling this oil?

TIA

Hi,

Don't know when you emailed Elizabeth but her site stated she is closed from 6/3 til 6/11. Maybe you can try emailing after the 11th? She is usually very prompt with emails.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using Red Raspberry Seed Oil as a sunscreen for the past two years. I am not a scientific person nor do I want to be. I also don't want to debate wether or not it works or why it cannot work as a sunscreen. All I can say is I have used it and I have never burned, tanned or got any hyperpigmentation from the sun. I love this oil and would never go back to using anything else as a sunscreen. It leaves my skin soft and supple and does remarkably good things for my skin that no other sunscreen could ever do. Pomegranate Seed oil supposedly also provides UVA/UVB protection.

Although I get my oils from Elizabeth at Rosa Y Fruta you can purchase Red Raspberry Seed Oil from http://www.naturesgift.com
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:05 pm      Reply with quote
leeleedeedee wrote:
I have been using Red Raspberry Seed Oil as a sunscreen for the past two years. I am not a scientific person nor do I want to be. I also don't want to debate wether or not it works or why it cannot work as a sunscreen. All I can say is I have used it and I have never burned, tanned or got any hyperpigmentation from the sun. I love this oil and would never go back to using anything else as a sunscreen. It leaves my skin soft and supple and does remarkably good things for my skin that no other sunscreen could ever do. Pomegranate Seed oil supposedly also provides UVA/UVB protection.

Although I get my oils from Elizabeth at Rosa Y Fruta you can purchase Red Raspberry Seed Oil from http://www.naturesgift.com

Thank you! That's what I need to know. If you can't get a tan with it on, it must be blocking something. Personally I am not of the opinion that you need SPF 60 or something to adquately protect from the sun. It smells though right? Fishy? Do you dilute it with any other oils or use it straight all over your face and body? I guess I give up on finding an organic supply. Why there are organic versions of everything else and not this I have no idea. Pomegranate, Sea Buckthorn etc. all organic. But for reg. cold press, a great price is here https://shop.gardenofwisdom.com/displayProductDocument.hg?productId=599&categoryId=87
https://shop.gardenofwisdom.com/displayProductDocument.hg?productId=598&categoryId=87

Elizabeth is selling it for $35 for 100ml.

Molly wrote:
There also seems to be very little evidence that raspberry seed oil has anything but the most minimal sun protection qualities. Have a search over there yourself. I can't be bothered to look up the threads I read, but they were v. convincing.
Just thought you should know.M Smile

What is the "most minimal"? Jojoba and some other oils supposedly have an spf of like 3. I think raspberry is far above that. I have looked over there and read a bunch of threads on the raspberry oil and they all seem to be for it. It's just not proven, real life studies are needed, but it showed some potential. Self experimentation will tell me more.

"Since I now have all the up close and personal information, I can tell you that one study was done that showed this had a potential to have this SPF in a test tube environment compared to zinc oxide. No further research has been done." - Deb
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hey I think it's really great that we are able to find sources of natural, non chemical alternatives for sun protection that don't have controversial health effects.

I am just rather disappointed at the scientific community for its lack of interest and investigation into these simple substances that ar e readily available.

Thanks guys for all the interesting info and links.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:29 am      Reply with quote
Hi Leeleedee

Quote:
All I can say is I have used it and I have never burned, tanned or got any hyperpigmentation from the sun

That's v. interesting. Do you mind saying what kind of climate you live in or you've been to and used this stuff? Do you tan easily? How old are you and are you prone to hyperpigmentation or burning? (Sorry, so many questions, but I'm interested)

Hi BYRG - I can't remember where I got my info - in fact I looked into so many things lately that I'm afraid I might have confused the raspberry seed oil with something else - sorry Embarassed
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:48 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |