Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Organic Red Raspberry Seed Oil
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:27 am      Reply with quote
Hello Byrg,

I use the Raspberry Oil all over my face, but only on the exposed parts of my body. I tend to cover up if I'm in the sun and I don't go to the beach nor sunbathe. My face is always the most exposed part to the sun.

I don't really find that there is a fishy smell to the oil. I have heard that comment made before but if there is one I feel sure that it goes away within 5 minutes after putting on the oil. I am exceptionally sensitive to smells and when I wear the Raspberry Oil I smell nothing at all. Although I have never yet ordered from Garden of Wisdom I have heard nothing but great comments about their products.

Hello Molly,

I am 52 years old with the most sensitive skin on the planet. When my face is exposed to the sun without protection I am very prone to tanning and hyperpigmentation spots. Right now, I am getting rid of existing hyperpigmentation with daily use of organic Rosehip Oil.

I live in Montreal, Canada. Cold in the Winter and very hot with high UV rays in the Summer. So, I am definitely exposed to them. On the one hand I have very little choice but to use the Red Raspberry Oil because my face is just so sensitive to chemical sunscreens. But, I cannot praise the Red Raspberry Oil enough. It calms down my skin sensitivities, makes it exquisitely soft and if it does have UVA/UVB protection then it's helping in that area too. My face has not tanned nor have I gotten any new hyperpigmentation spot and believe me, at my age I was developing plenty.

I hope this answers your questions. If you have any more please feel free to ask.
kpage828
5% products discount

Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:11 pm      Reply with quote
Emily's oils (eoils.net) has red raspberry seed oil under the base materils section and the description says it's from organically grown plants. I've never ordered from this site but she is spotlighting the organic red rasp seed oil on her blog main page.

I would also like to try this as a natural sunscreen, how much do you apply for the face?

Thanks
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
I don't apply much. A little goes a long way so a couple of drops would do it. One doesn't want to walk around with an oily face so really, you don't need very much of it.
goldie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
kpage828 wrote:

Quote:
Emily's oils (eoils.net) has red raspberry seed oil under the base materils section and the description says it's from organically grown plants.

They mention the following on the Emily's Oils Web site related to red raspberry seed oil: It speeds the healing of damaged skin and is used for skin conditions such as acne and psoriasis. This sounds good for those of us that are acne prone as some oils can cause blemishes. I was wondering if this was one of one of them.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks kpage828! I just emailed them to confirm it, but it looks like you found an organic source! Very Happy

Very interesting leeleedeedee. Good to know that there are no lingering strange smells. I plan to mix it with some other oils for a moisterizer. Like Sea Buckthorn and Pomegranate and Grapeseed. All light oils.

I found cheap pomegranate oil too. I'm not so sure about the company but the price is hard to pass up.

http://www.aaskincare.com/pomegranate-oil.html
Hope
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
Byrg - I bought this oil from Nature's Gift recently, and it doesn't smell fishy to me - it just smells a bit "oily". It's not unpleasant, but it's not nicely fragrant, either.

Leeleedeedee - it sounds like you use this oil "straight" - is that right? One of the sites I looked at said to use it at a 20% concentration. Since my main purpose was to make a healing, soothing oil for my legs, I figured I'd use something cheaper for the other 80%. But now you have me interested in using it on my face, so I was wondering if it could be used without blending it with another oil. It seems like mixing it would dilute its protective value.
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, for those that use an oil as moisturizer or sunscreen how much do you use and how long do you have to wait to apply makeup? TIA
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:00 am      Reply with quote
Nomoreneckpain,

I use PSF's balancing oil, and rather generous amounts, on my face in the morning

I wait for about 5-15 minutes, depending on how rushed I am, before applying powder or MMU.

If there is still excess oil I just blot out the extra and apply makeup as normal.

But generally it is good to wait a few minutes for the oil to soak in to the skin before applying anything else.
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:26 am      Reply with quote
Hello Everyone,

Yes, I do use Red Raspberry Oil straight from the bottle because since I use it for its UVA/UVB protection I felt that I didn't want to dilute this protective quality.

However, Red Raspberry Oil does do other wonderful things for the skin and it can certainly be used mixed with other oils to get a broad spectrum healing/conditioning treatment. Personally I find the Red Raspberry Oil to be very rich and moisturizing. It has great anti-inflammatory properties and it is healing for the skin (should one need those benefits.) It also leaves my skin so soft and supple that I also use the oil under my make-up even when I'm out at night and don't need any sun protection. It is a wonderful oil with many beautiful and beneficial skin properties. I have repurchased this oil a number of times. It's one of my favourites along with Rose Hip Oil.

Anyone interested in Organic Pomegranate Oil can visit this website: http://www.saffronrouge.com and look under their Primavera skin care line. It is expensive but not only does a little go a long way I can personally vouch for the exceptional quality of all Primavera Essential and Base Oils and their excellent customer service. I have purchased from Saffronrouge so many times that it is one of my favourite places to shop organic. And (on another note) their John Masters Hair Care products are super sensational.
pumaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:04 am      Reply with quote
I found this on Dr. H web site:

"The sensitive skin of your face deserves something special. So when perfecting the formula for the new Dr.Hauschka Protective Face Cream SPF 8, WALA’s product developers chose to include raspberry seed oil. About 10 kilograms of these small, light seeds are needed to obtain a kilogram of the costly seed oil. Raspberry, sister of the rose, gives a wonderfully fruity, fine oil that preserves the skin’s youth."

Raspberry seed oil is included, but SPF is only 8. I'm wondering if determining the SPF they only go by the amount of Titanium Dioxide they add, or by actually measuring SPF of the cream somehow?
happyhippie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:35 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone that has oily acne-prone skin tried the rasberry seed oil? Great post by the way!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
lamicuz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:13 am      Reply with quote
just this weekend i purchased a product called daily sun filter that contains jojoba oil, seabuckthorn berry & fruit oil, rose hip seed oil, vit. e oil, green tea, lavender e.o. & calendula e.o.

this product was specially created for elixir spa (toronto) between the owner of wild sage skin care & the owner of the spa. lynn (the owner of the spa) said that while the sun filter won't stop you from burning, it will protect your skin on a daily bais, and suggests still using chemical sunscreens when tanning (she is dead set against physical sunscreens). the oil has quite a bit of colour to it (from the seabuckthorn) but disappears quickly once it is applied. lynn also suggested that it be applied under moisturizer. so far i like it...it soaks in nicely & leaves me moisturized (no extra layers of product needed overtop).

just wanted to mention this to give you all ideas for some diy sunscreening oils...i think i may try to replicate it myself once i've used up my bottle & use it all over, not just my face...
pumaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:00 am      Reply with quote
Lamicuz,
why is she set against physical sunblocks? any explanation?
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:01 am      Reply with quote
Lamicruz, although you have a very nice blend of oils none of them (to my knowledge) are known to have any spf factor which is probably why the spa owner told you to also wear a sunscreen.

Off the top of my head the oils that I know to have sun protection are Red Raspberry, Pomegranate, Olive, Shea Butter and I'm sure there are others but I can't remember them.

Aside from that the blend of oils you purchased are really great for the skin. Enjoy!
pumaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:38 am      Reply with quote
leeleedeedee,
most oils have spf of 2-4, so when you add a few oils with spf 2, you may get a total of 10-20.

I'm just theorizing here Smile

http://phantasmix.com/index.php/2006/06/12/the_natural_sunscreen
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:54 am      Reply with quote
Pumaka,

Well, if most oils have an spf of, let's say at least 2, then you're probably right and this would offer a little protection but not enough for a medium to high UV day.
lamicuz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:48 pm      Reply with quote
pumaka,
although i don't know the exact details of her opinion (i personally do where mineral sunscreen & makeup) lynn does not believe in physical sunscreens because she has found information that links titanium (not sure if that includes zinc) to cell mutation.

leeleedeedee,
i have come across discussion about the seabuckthorn oils having some sunscreening capabilities - i would have to check my resources to locate the info again. also, jojoba oil is considered to have some sunscreening capabilities.

yes, so far i am enjoying the combination of oils!
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
Pumaka!

I was reading some brochure issued by Skin Cancer society in NZ. In there was "Common myths about SPF" and it stated that SPF cannot be built upon, like SPF 10 face cream + SPF 30 sun screen = SPF 40 face.

Otherwise, I don't really understand how the SPF works, perhaps it is just the highest.
pumaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Miranets,
is there any chance they were talking about chemical sunscreens specifically? That is interesting.
pumaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:30 pm      Reply with quote
I found another source stating this:
"Can I combine 2 sunscreens to get a higher SPF?

No, just because you wear an SPF 15 sunscreen and then put an SPF 30 on top, it doesn't give you the same protection as an SPF 45. You should make sure you select the correct SPF sunscreen for you. "

I've searched NZ Cancer society information and ALL their advice states that "keep in mind it takes 20 minutes for your sunscreen to active". But this only pertains to chemical sunscreens.

I'm afraid most of these Myths and advice may be given about chemical sunscreens only.

I wonder if physical and/or oil sunscreens may work differently, at least physical.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:26 pm      Reply with quote
Hmm never thought about the difference for chem/physical sunscreens.

I'm guessing vegetable oils would be physical because they reflect light rather than absorb it? Or are they a bit of both, plus with antioxidant properties that heal cells that are subject to damage?

I think you are right about the info relating to just chemical sunscreens, as most of the products that carry the NZ Skin Cancer Society endoresements are your typical supermarket ones.
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:48 am      Reply with quote
Hello
I was just browsing and I came across this snippet by accident on theskincareboard

"....We were mostly interested in high SPF claims posted all over the Internet for the red raspberry seed oil, which turned out to be false. I was able to contact the cited researcher (who is Canadian and works with one of my NIR colleagues) and obtain his cited papers on red raspberry and sea buckthorn seed oils.

I think the fact that there are no demonstrated SPF benefits to human skin and the fact that the Perspese arctic oils are not available commercially in small bottles caused the death of the excitement!"

http://theskincareboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2215&highlight=

I know some of you don't care, like it and will carry on using it. But I know other people, like me, will be interested. So I post.

Molly Cool
leeleedeedee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:05 am      Reply with quote
I think there will always be this controversy over Red Raspberry and other Oils. It protects from the sun - it doesn't protect. One research paper will be replaced by another one offering conflicting reports.

The same thing can be said for chemical sunscreens. I have read reports that they are not that protective because the sun breaks down the chemical composition quite quickly and leaves very little SPF value. Here, in Canada, there was a report put out by the Dermalogical Association that even though there is a huge increase in people wearing sunscreen there is also an increase in skin cancer. Huh!!? How can that be!!? The experts don't know, so how can we?

I have heard the same controversy over mineral make-up. It protects from the sun - it doesn't protect from the sun. But, I also have read posts from people on other forums, individuals with extremely sensitive skin (fair,red headed types) who wear nothing but mineral make-up for their sun protection and have never burned from the sun.

It will be hard to sort through all of this conflicting and contradictory information. So, in the end it will be an individual thing. I will continue to wear Red Raspberry Oil because after two years of use I have yet to see any evidence that it doesn't offer sun protection.

Everyone else will just have to do what feels best for them.
happyhippie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:53 am      Reply with quote
Good point leeleedeedee... by the way- how do you think the oil is for oily skin? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:03 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
I think there will always be this controversy over Red Raspberry and other Oils. It protects from the sun - it doesn't protect. One research paper will be replaced by another one offering conflicting reports.

That's not my point.

It would be fine if there were no studies and just a belief. They only refer to one paper and they quote it wrongly and it's to sell it.

But online sellers are claiming that this has an SPF of whatever and it's got proven broad spectrum protection and where did they get this from? There only seems to have been one study and some of the shops refer to it, but it seems that study didn't even prove any SPF protection so they are all misquoting or misinterpreting.

If sellers are making false claims I like to know, don't you?
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:13 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |