Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
is tinting your eyelashes safe?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
mildlyobsessive
5% products discount

Tue May 30, 2006 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
i've been wanting to purchase the 1000 hour lash tint for some time now, but my mom is concerned about the safety using the dye that close to your eye. does the package say anything about the safety of the dye or has anyone experienced problems with this. any input on this subject would be greatly appreciated (especially if you have positive or convincing things to say about it Razz ) im dying to try this!
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 30, 2006 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
I would definately go to a professional to get this done.
Allie Grace
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 30, 2006 2:12 pm      Reply with quote
hiya, if you are concerned it would be so easy to go to a pro!

Having said that, I dye mine using the blue black tint. I'm an artist (not that being an artist makes my eyes any more sacred) and I won't wear anything on my eyes when I work, and when I am not painting my eyes need a break and some TLC- not mascara, it irritates them no matter how I have tried.

I had running water going in the sink right next to me along with wet cotton pads and wet qtips -all at my fingertips. I made sure phone was off, nothing to disturb me. I used a lighted makeup mirror and took my sweet time. I did one eye at a time. I did once get a dab in my eye and quickly and immediately rinsed it in water- having the water right there and already running made it so easy and fast that it never even had a chance to sting or irritate- not one bit! Once the area was dry I redid it- no problems. Anyway, that was the worst thing that happened to me LOL

I've tinted three times now... I use ardell to condition.

hope this helps.

Allie Grace
Mabsy

Tue May 30, 2006 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't had any problems but I would not have done it myself if I didn't first get it done at the salon. That gave me an idea of what the process is like and also what is normal (in terms of stinging etc) and what isn't. I'd recommend that you don't do it until you have it done by a professional and are then comfortable with doing this yourself. I think there is always a risk with using chemicals around the eye area so it's important to follow the procedure and the safety tips. However, the salons do heaps of lash tints, so in that respect it's fine.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 5:22 am      Reply with quote
Allie Grace wrote:
I had running water going in the sink right next to me along with wet cotton pads and wet qtips -all at my fingertips. I made sure phone was off, nothing to disturb me. I used a lighted makeup mirror and took my sweet time. I did one eye at a time. I did once get a dab in my eye and quickly and immediately rinsed it in water- having the water right there and already running made it so easy and fast that it never even had a chance to sting or irritate- not one bit! Once the area was dry I redid it- no problems. Anyway, that was the worst thing that happened to me
Allie's advice is right on! I've been tinting my lashes every 3-4 weeks for the past 18 months or so without any problems. I HAVE gotten a bit in my eye on several occassions (in a hurry and distracted, wasn't paying as much attention as I should) and I'm not blind yet! Shock Very Happy Seriously, it burns like the devil and causes your eye to tear up and wash the stuff from the eye so I didn't even need to splash my eyes to get it out.

Seriously, so long as you follow the instructions and hints posted by many members, you shouldn't have any problems. Here's a link to one set of explicit instructions that I like to direct lash tinting "virgins" too: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=8927&highlight=1000+lash+tint Just make sure you do your lashes when you are free to concentrate and not be distracted at all.

ETA: I'd also recommend going to a salon to get it done the first time, but you might have trouble with that because lash tinting is an illegal practice in the U.S. because it can't be regulated and most salons were using the types of dyes that ARE dangerous. Check out the info I posted in my orig product review for 1000 Hours to find out what's dangerous and why:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=7546&highlight=1000+hours I think it'll help calm your fears because 1000 Hours Lash Tint doesn't contain any of the "banned" ingredients and therefore isn't linked with any cases of causing blindness or serious eye damage.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 7:30 am      Reply with quote
I bought the kit and had problems with it, but I have super sensitive eyes I think. I must say though that after the initial blueness of the kit I bought wore off it was a pretty nice color. I didn't do a good enough job though because I got it in my eyes and couldn't let it sit long enough. However the problems I had were not enough to keep me from trying it again. I am going to attempt it again today or tomorrow. I have amassed enough info now on how to apply it correctly that I am more confident I can get it done.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 7:45 am      Reply with quote
I have used it about 4 times now. The technique takes some getting used to, but the results are well worth it!
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:01 am      Reply with quote
Chrissie wrote:
The technique takes some getting used to, but the results are well worth it!

ditto. Smile

I was really worried at first but once you get the hang of it, it's alright. I think my first time I did one eye at a time.

Perhaps try practicing with hair conditioner too b/c of the similar consistency.

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
Elfie
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
I love the 1000 Hour Lashtint. I have a bunch of my friends hooked on it and they have their daughters hooked on it. I think it is safer then having mascara flake in your eyes. I've actually had a corneal abrasion from one of the fiber mascaras when they first came out. I apply with mascara wand (thank you Sephora-tell them what you're doing and they may give you a bag of them-they were very generous with me). Just be sure that when you apply it is thick like pudding or it can drip. The stuff if fabulous.
mildlyobsessive
5% products discount

Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:43 pm      Reply with quote
thanks all! i think my mom is almost convinced, she just wants to call this chemist friend of hers and get the d/l on the chemical ingredients so your posts definitely helped my cause Very Happy thanks for all the advice too, i kinda feel like i know a little more about what im doing & it doesn't seem so intimidating anymore.
yaling111
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:48 am      Reply with quote
yes, I think is quite safe, I did few times by myself, the result is very good..
autumn
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
I have been having my lashes tinted for years. I pay $15.00 cdn and it lasts 4 - 6 weeks.

You can find salons in the US that tint lashes; it is much harder. The one esthetician was Cdn and she had her product sent to her from Canada. (Combinal - spelling?)

I also condition them with Ecrinal. It has caster oil and horse mane extract as the main ingredients. I would use Ardell if available. (It is cheaper.)
joziegrozy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hello I am Asian (black hair, dark brown eyes). Do you think it would make a difference if I tinted my already black lashes? Smile I just want it to appear longer and thicker.

5% products discount

Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
are they dark all the way through or are the tips lighter?
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:26 am      Reply with quote
mildlyobsessive wrote:
are they dark all the way through or are the tips lighter?
The tips of everyone's lashes are light, no matter what color your lashes are naturally. Therefore if someone with jet black lashes already tinted her lashes with the 1000 Hours kit, the result would be glossy looking lashes that appear even longer because the blond tips will have been colored and therefore are no longer "invisible."

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:07 am      Reply with quote
I have really fair eyelashes & have had them tinted a number of times by different estheticians.
The dye has never gone as far as the root so my lashes look two-toned. Afterward I always seem to have more of a lash fallout but I don't know if it really is more or that it's just easier to see them because they're dark. I've resigned myself to use a brown mascara Neutral .
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:14 am      Reply with quote
RuthMarion wrote:
I have really fair eyelashes & have had them tinted a number of times by different estheticians.
The dye has never gone as far as the root so my lashes look two-toned. Afterward I always seem to have more of a lash fallout but I don't know if it really is more or that it's just easier to see them because they're dark. I've resigned myself to use a brown mascara Neutral .
This probably because the esthetician is skittish about getting any of the colorant on your skin so is afraid to apply the mixture right up to the roots. This isn't a problem with the 1000 Hours kit so long as you use a clean mascara spooly wand to apply it because you can get the dye mixture right down to the base of the lashes.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:16 am      Reply with quote
Top & bottom of upper & lower lashes, Carekate? Sounds too good to be true after years of failures Smile
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:13 pm      Reply with quote
RuthMarion wrote:
Top & bottom of upper & lower lashes, Carekate? Sounds too good to be true after years of failures Smile
Yes, top and bottom of upper and lower lashes, from root to tip -- most definitely NOT too good to be true...you must have missed seeing the big thread discussing the wonders of this lash tint: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=7546&highlight=1000+hours It really works and looks fabulous!

I have a spare (new) kit of the 1000 Hours in Midnight Blue (gives glossy black results, like the wings of a raven when viewed in direct sunlight) so if you want to give it a try, just PM me to work out the details.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:24 am      Reply with quote
After reading this thread again, I went to the link & actually read through ALOT of positive feedback on the 1000 Hours tint (I think that it was 9 pages or so long Laughing ). To make a long story short, I ordered it! Wink
Thanks for your offer Carrie - that was very thoughtful of you. Smile I will wait until my parcel comes from down under and post my review too Smile
glittergal
5% products discount

Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hey, just wanted to say that i redyed my eyelashes a few days ago, and I was wondering if the dye in it somehow dries out your eyelashes? Anyhow I did the dye, then coated with ardell after; I use that about once a day...and in any case I had so many eyelashes fall out on me lately! Like I would just be touching my eye and like 3 would come off one eye...I couldn't believe it! So last night I thought that they maybe needed a deep condition, so i put jojoba oil on them before bed. It didnt really seem to help that much, either, just kinda made my eyes all greasy. Confused

Does anyone have any recommendations so that they dont fall out anymore, or any good restoring 'conditioners' so to speak? Anyone else have this happen to them Question
Thanks!!
Glittergal Very Happy
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:27 am      Reply with quote
glittergal wrote:
Hey, just wanted to say that i redyed my eyelashes a few days ago, and I was wondering if the dye in it somehow dries out your eyelashes? Anyhow I did the dye, then coated with ardell after; I use that about once a day...and in any case I had so many eyelashes fall out on me lately! Like I would just be touching my eye and like 3 would come off one eye...I couldn't believe it! So last night I thought that they maybe needed a deep condition, so i put jojoba oil on them before bed. It didnt really seem to help that much, either, just kinda made my eyes all greasy. Confused

Does anyone have any recommendations so that they dont fall out anymore, or any good restoring 'conditioners' so to speak? Anyone else have this happen to them Question
Thanks!!
Glittergal Very Happy
FYI - using jojoba oil (or any other oil, for that matter) on your lashes is more of a protein treatment to strengthen and nourish damaged lashes (same thing when using a hot oil treatment for your hair) and will not provide the lashes (or hair) with enough moisture to hydrate and moisturize the lashes.

That *doesn’t* mean that it isn’t a good idea to apply some type of oil to your lashes periodically, as you would with any type of hot oil or protein treatment for your hair, it just means that you need to follow up by using a super hydrating conditioner after any protein or hot oil treatment.

Personally, I apply a protein treatment to my lashes (or hair!) just before I dye them, or else I will mix in a few drops of avocado and grapeseed oil (or any other “light” oil) directly into the dye mixture. This not only repairs any existing damage to my lashes (or hair), but it also helps the colorant to “take” more evenly so I get much better results after dying and the lashes(/hair) is really glossy and healthy looking afterwards. Then after I rinse off the lash tint dye, I use a clean spooly wand to apply a deep conditioner (I choose Biolage Conditioning Balm) to my lashes (or hair) to hydrate and restore the moisture balance. I leave the deep conditioner on my lashes for about 10-15 minutes and then rinse with tepid water.

For the record, I don’t believe tinting one’s lashes is any more harmful or damaging then applying mascara (especially waterproof formulas) every day and then having to tug or pull on the lashes to remove it every night. In fact, I would go so far as to say that my lashes are currently more healthy than they have ever been before because I no longer wear mascara of any type unless I am attending some high profile event where my photo is liable to be taken. The chemicals in most mascara formulations are much more harsh to your lashes then the mild peroxide color developer in the 1000 Hours lash tint kit.

However, if you are still concerned about whether or not the lash tinting at home is harmful to your lashes, simply apply a protein/hot oil treatment followed by a deep (hair) conditioning treatment to your lashes at least once a week to help nourish and hydrate them.

HTH,
Carrie

5% products discount

Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Carekate, I will try the jojoba oil and grapeseed together next time...as well as the deep conditioner. Hopes it helps to grow em all back in or at least keep them strong.

great advice Cool

glittergal
Bosoxy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:13 am      Reply with quote
Hi RuthMarion!

I am curious if you received your package and how you liked the lash tint.

I read the other thread and am on the fence about trying it out... I have really long lashes but they are very light. Rolling Eyes and I wear contact lenses so I do not use waterproof mascara...

Take care.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |