Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Simplifying your skincare routine
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Janis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 30, 2006 7:19 pm      Reply with quote
A lot of you guys here seem to use SOO many products... doesn't it get overwhelming? Myself, lately I've been wanting to simplify. I decided to cut out anything that wasn't scientifically proven or seemed at all gimmicky.

As a result, I've reduced my skincare regimen to essentially: cleanser, sunblock, Vitamin C and Retin A. I've been doing this for a couple months and my skin is looking good. I also don't feel like I'm constantly applying new and possibly countereffective elements to my face.

Does anyone else here have a fairly simplified routine or share the same philosophy as I do?

(I could crack soon and hit eBay though! Laughing Laughing)
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 30, 2006 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
that is what I have done. I use a glycolic cleanser and lotion in the morning along with vit C and sunscreen. In the evening, I use a cleanser and retin A. When I have breakouts, I use yonka cream 15 and juvenil.
Sassyred
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 30, 2006 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
I hear ya sistahs! when I get rid of my stash, and it might be monthsssssssss. I will simplify again because the gimmicky stuff is just that, simple works better. Ok I do like my La Mer for getting my skin back in shape Wink

I love simple jojoba oil for removing makeup! especially eye! I agree w/vit c, some exfoliant, sunscreen.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 30, 2006 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
My skin has definitely improved a whole lot ever since I stared using less products.
Morning=> cleanser + spf20 moisturizer
Evening=> cleanser + serum (not everyday) + moisturizer
Once a week=> Green Apple peel or Clay mask
I am very happy with this routine/products

I do believe in using core products essential for good skin care. But how often or how many, well that's a personal preference.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 30, 2006 10:25 pm      Reply with quote
I'm in the club !
Actually, my skin simply cannot handle various things in the same time.
a.m.: OCM, hydracool (before ISC it was a moisturizer)
p.m.: OCM, active serum (before moisturizer)
once a week : scrub or peeling and a mask
that's it.
Then I'd need a good hand cream , sunscreen and body moisturizer.
LandB
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 3:55 am      Reply with quote
I totally agree with the philosophy of a simple regimen that works. Thanks to EDS, I have developed one:

AM:
Cetaphil cleanser
Spot treat with Relax-A-Line
Vitamin C serum
Decleor eye/lip cream
Shiseido sunscreen or CG Smoothers tinted moisturizer with SPF.

PM:
Cetaphil cleanser
Spot treat with Relax-A-Line
Decleor eye/lip cream.

Once or twice a week I use a gentle exfoliating sponge with the Cetaphil.

I don't begrudge my earlier product-sampling frenzy, however, because I have developed a solid collection of other products that I use on an as-needed basis when my skin is going through a phase. For oily phases, I like Decleor's YY balm. For phases when my skin lacks lustre, I like the aspirin mask, Neutrogena's foaming acne wash (works like the aspirin mask for me), and Neutrogena's hand-held microdermabrasion thingy.

5% products discount

Wed May 31, 2006 4:09 am      Reply with quote
Oh yes, simple and not too much.
cleansing, exfoliating once or twice a week.
Serum and a little cream, lots of water and excersise.
Safire
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 4:47 am      Reply with quote
I've been trying to simplify my routine lately too, as I've been spending way too much time & money on excess skincare products that don't even work! Rolling Eyes At the moment I'm using an olive oil based soap-free cleanser, eye cream, moisturiser & sunscreen during the day. At night I use a AHA night cream/lotion & I exfoliate/use a mask twice a week. It seems to be working well so far Smile
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 5:18 am      Reply with quote
I've simplified by quitting useing my MDFormulations Glycolic every night...figuerd out it was getting far too much exfoliating. Now I use either PSF papaya or green tea at night to cleanse, R&R toner or Decleor toner, and whatever I feel I need...either the works or just some moisturizer and eyecream/gel.

The simplifying action is rather that I've left my rigid system and gone over the other way instead...doing whatever I feel like! in other words, useing many different products instead of the same all the time. And my skin is more radiant than ever!!!!

MDF, Decleor, PSF, JansonBecket (samples) are my staple products at the moment. Much more fun, and my skin is thanking me for leaving the rigid Decleor moisturizing routine and Glycolic acids..

PSF is rocking my world baby Cool

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
RuthMarion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 6:11 am      Reply with quote
I'm trying, but it's so scarey Confused What if one of the "extra" products that I use are THE secret ingredient that makes them all "click".
Here is my version of scaling down for the summer (BTW my skin is really oily) Embarassed

Cleanser - glycolic or cream depending on skin at the moment
Toner - PSF, AlphaDerma, Dr Hauschka, Liz Earle, Yonka or my "new" Embarassed Elizabeth Grant. Oh yes. Or Darphin .
DMAE
Vitamin C
TNS
Elizabeth Grant Torricelumn Pur Essence
Eye Cream - Kiehl's, Cellcosmet, PSF, Elizabeth Grant or Nelly du Vuyst
AlphaDerma CE
DermaExcel 7
Moisturizer - Darphin, Cellcosmet, BioCollasis, Valmont, Nelly du Vuyst, Biophora or Immunotec
Sunscreen

And off & on Valmont BioCellulaar

I might add that they are all very light layers Embarassed & I don't use ALL of them EVERY day - some days I might skip one or two from the list Wink . But my skin looks really good, so.........
tidieu
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 7:18 am      Reply with quote
I like to stick to a simple routine too but I am such a sucker for any products that sound good. Just can't discipline myself, but the products that I always use are C serum, AHA, retinoid.
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 7:21 am      Reply with quote
This might sound strange to you guys, but in the morning I cleanse with just water. I heard about this a long time ago and its really helped my skin with being dry. I also save a lot of my products this way. I have no problems with my skin right now, so it works fine for me.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 7:29 am      Reply with quote
PhoebesMeow I had been cleansing with only water in the morning for over a year and my sensitive skin loved it. Recently I started using a gentle no-rinse cleanser in the morning because I am using the Proheal serum and it is supposed to be applied to "clean" skin. But I am seriously considering going back to only water.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 7:31 am      Reply with quote
I'm with RuthMarion--- I'm always afraid of getting rid of the one product that is making my skincare system "click," LOL. That being said, I definitely like to stick to a simple base routine, but it's also nice to have a bunch of products on hand that you are familiar with so you can treat your break out phases, oily phases, dry phases, irritated phases, etc. Considering my skin goes through all of those phases, I doubt my skincare routine will ever able to be truly simple...

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 6:06 pm      Reply with quote
Janis wrote:
A lot of you guys here seem to use SOO many products... doesn't it get overwhelming?

Oh yes! I have alot of products right now (mix of Dermalogica and some Juice Beauty) and I have thought at times that maybe I'm over doing it. I don't use everything every night ... some of them I switch off. But I would love to have a more simple routine. My problem is that my skin still isn't where I'd like it ... I think if I was more happy, I'd be content to stick to a few key things, but I keep wanting to try new things to see if something else would work better!

Right now (and this is a simplified routine for me), I'm using:

AM
Juice Beauty Green Apple Cleanser
Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Serum on t-zone
Juice Beauty Antioxident
Peter Thomas Roth Eye Rescue
Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Firm Eye & Lip
Dermalogica Sheer Moisture Tint Light SPF15

PM
Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel
Dermalogica Microfoliant
JB Blemish Clearing Serum (t-zone)
JB Antioxident
PTR Eye Rescue
Dermalogica Multivitamin Power Firm Eye & Lip
Dermalogica Skin Smoothing Cream (where needed)

WEEKLY
Dermalogica Skin Refining Mask (tzone) & Multivitamin Power Recovery Mask (rest of face)

AND ... I'm so excited ... I just received the JB Green Apple Peel tonight, which I will add once a week as well.

OK ... I THOUGHT that seemed like a reduced more simple routine, but looking at my big list, I'm thinking maybe it's not so simple after all. Sad
angel06
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
same here myself, i tried to simplify my skin care routine to cleanser, moisturizer, eye gel or cream. i think using a lot of stuff at one time might be more damaging than helpful, plus it makes you poor.
violetanne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 8:29 pm      Reply with quote
I usually stick with a few brands, because I'm not very adventurous when it comes to skincare-- I stick with what works! I have added a couple things lately, though, and mix it up every now and again.

AM
Proactiv cleanser and toner
Dove moisturizer

PM
DHC deep cleansing oil for removing makeup
Proactiv cleanser/ toner
Proactiv renewing lotion
DHC concentrated eye cream

I also exfoliate at least twice a week (right now I have a Queen Helene scrub) and use an AHA mask every now and again if I need a little revitalizing.

I am looking to add a sunscreen to my routine, and to upgrade my Dove moisturizer, or just switch to a tinted moisturizer with spf for summer.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
Janis, I (try) to have the same philosophy as you. Sometimes when I load up on too many products, even though they are all good on their own, I find that my skin just hates it.

So basically I am going for a preventative rather than cure-treat approach in my regime.

I am down to the minimum, cleanser, moisturiser, blemish treatment and occassional vitamin c treatment.

I do use HA or Dr H revitalising mask depending on climate changes or breakouts.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:34 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |