Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
tan
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
speedy
5% products discount

Wed May 31, 2006 8:01 am      Reply with quote
I got a tan without going outside. I work from home ,from a computer ,and i was working all day yesterday ,and i noticed i tanned. IS IT POSSIBLE OR AM DREAMING IT TOO HARD
speedy
5% products discount

Wed May 31, 2006 8:05 am      Reply with quote
also, my elbows are darker than the rest of my body. I dont know how to even it out
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 8:48 am      Reply with quote
speedy first let me welcome you to the forum!

To answer your question: yes you can get a tan indoors. The glass in most windows blocks UVB rays but lets the UVA rays (the ones that cause tanning) through.
speedy
5% products discount

Wed May 31, 2006 9:09 am      Reply with quote
ooh ic...SO it not an illusion. NICE....i can tan indoors with the air condition on as long as i sit near a window
speedy
5% products discount

Wed May 31, 2006 9:21 am      Reply with quote
i thought that u need heat to tan as well...OR am i wrong
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 9:52 am      Reply with quote
speedy you do not need heat to get a tan!

Now for the lecture part: tanning is bad for your skin and dangerous! The UVA rays that go through a window to tan you are the same rays that cause premature aging and skin cancer. You might avoid a sunburn by tanning through a window but you are still damaging your skin!
PhoebesMeow
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 9:57 am      Reply with quote
Speedy, you'll want to read this:
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_163b.html
You must live somewhere with a high uv index I assume? High as in above 9. If you don't know your uv index for the day and are curious go here:
http://www.epa.gov/sunwise/uvindex.html

And Welcome to the forum!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 9:59 am      Reply with quote
Here is another link about tanning through glass AND includes info about your heat question. So apparently yes you could tan through a window and no you don't need heat.

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/219/

5% products discount

Wed May 31, 2006 10:14 am      Reply with quote
wow...my uv index is 9...NO wonder....BUt, im olive color, in winter somedays, im white (pale) and somedays ,without any sun exposure im darker(by far) people ask me if i wwent taning. WHUTS up with that
speedy
5% products discount

Wed May 31, 2006 10:18 am      Reply with quote
and how would i get a shade lighter in summer back to olive, in the winter i can eaily use a spray tanner...BUT summer i get too dark..casue im out all day everyday.
BYRG
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 11:08 am      Reply with quote
I thought it was UVB rays that caused tanning and/or burning? And it was UVA that caused well just deeper damage and aging. I've always heard them called UVB-urning rays and UVA-ging rays. Of course it's a generalization.

Windows I don't think block all of the UVB rays, just like sunscreens don't totally block them and you can still get a tan with a light sunscreen on. Also, do tinted windows block more of the full spectrum, both types of rays? Cause I know that tinted windows that are special treated are supposed to help reduce the damage from the sun to materials inside. Like at my old house in front of the windows that were just regular windows, and opened, the wood floor was destroyed in that area and lighter then the rest of the wood floors in the house. Also, the curtains on the windows would also always get destroyed and change color, get all bleached out. It's amazing to see what it does to materials. In my new place now the windows are tinted and the sun hasn't done anything to the wood floors or the curtains on the window. Outside on our patio though the dark chocolate brown carpet is now a faded reddish light brown, and the bright yellow panels on the walls are a faint yellowish off-white now. Weird how things react.

Anyways it can't block it all still cause I work at home also and am not pale. The sun is always getting in and this place is so light like a daylight studio. I have a powerbook and I'm constantly moving from my desk to the dining table, back to my desk or somewhere to get away from the sun that comes in and shines right on me. I hate it. I get really hot, can't see my screen well. I want shade. lol. I keep telling my husband I want to trade out these sheer see-through white curtains on the 2 story window for thick opaque black ones, maybe velvet or a heavy canvas, to block the sun and for a lot more privacy. He likes the light though and thinks they look great....
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 11:29 am      Reply with quote
you can get a tan from sitting in the window, but not a sunburn. Being that you are of olive complexion, it makes sense that you get a tan very easy. My best friend is italian and olive colored, and she tans very nice on her body, but unfortunately burns on her face:(

Byrg, uva rays are what causes tans which essentially overtime causes damage to the skin. Thing is, not everyone tans, but the damage is still taking effect on their skin when they have years of exposer to the sun. the uvb rays are most active between 10-4pm every day while the uva rays are ALWAYS there from sunrise to sunset. tinted windows are supposed to have full protection from uva/uvb rays...I just got my car windows tinted about a month ago and it's amazing how much heat has been kept out..that and its nice to know i'm getting protection when im driving:) cars are the worst when it comes to damage..the most damage we get on our skin is actually from driving...it's not fair i tell you.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 31, 2006 11:48 am      Reply with quote
purpleturtle I totally agree about window tinting for cars. One of the first things that my husband and I do when we get a new car is tint the windows. When we buy our own house we are also going to get windows that offer UVA protection! I know what you are saying about damage to stuff in the house BYRG. I have a leather couch and the part that is not exposed to the sun looks so much better than the rest of the couch!
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:37 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |