Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Bugs Love Me
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
Bugs love my husband, but they leave me alone! Very Happy He has high cholesterol, and does not take vitamins regularly as I do. I will pass on all the suggestions here, in hopes that SOMETHING will help him! So far, neither OFF nor natural repellants have helped. Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:00 am      Reply with quote
I'm going to try out a couple brands of the B1 type patches. My bites have gotten worse and one on my leg is causing my entire calf to itch. It's all swollen and painful. No matter what I apply, I can't help but scratch. I also get lovely blisters that crust over and scab. My daughter has her entire legs covered with bites... Damn skeeters Mad

I have low cholesterol and take vitamins too, so I don't think that dictates who gets bit.
yeahyeah
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:12 am      Reply with quote
i too HATE mosquitoes or anything that flies! whenever i go back home, i always get eaten alive by the bugs Mad but they dont seem to bite my family that are already there...guess they like new, fresh blood.
even with extra strength moquito repellent i seem to get one or two bites on my body. i once had some on my face and it was like getting cystic acnes but as well as hurting and scaring, they itch like hell!!!
i've been meaning to buy those insect repellent patches cos it seems like more of a natural way than spraying myself 24/7 with those stinging sprays....any tried it or have any natural remedies Question

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:37 am      Reply with quote
Yes, Bugs love me too! I feel like I wrote all these posts, you guys describe me well. I hate bugs! Skin so soft, by Avon has been a life saver for me, too. I also read that manslaerliz used lavender, I will try that this summer, as well.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:45 pm      Reply with quote
I think it's what you eat that draws the bugs. When I was in college, I lived in an apt with a couple of roommates. We got fleas from the previous tenant's cats. They only attacked my two roommates who were Chinese and they ate lots of delicious saucy Chinese food since Lucia was a great cook. Luckily she did not share her food with me. I don't recall what I ate now. I think I just ate campus cafeteria food since I worked there part time while going to school.

Over the spring break, my roommates went home to visit their families. Those fleas started biting me since they got no one else. Oh wait a minute, my bf came to visit, but he got no bites since he was a vegetarian. He never got any bug bites. So vegetables don't seem to make your blood smell tasty like meat. I am not a heavy meat eater, and that's probably why they preferred my two Chinese roommates.

Interestingly though when I went to Thailand with my current bf, I got bitten more than him. I don't recall him getting bitten at all, but I was not a magnet of bugs either. I got one or two bites at most during the 2-week trip. So maybe men don't get bitten as much as women? (Except for Nadjazz's husband!)

So my question to you all that seem to attract bugs is what food do you often eat? Do you eat a lot of meat? If you're a vegetarian, that would blow my theory re: bugs don't like veggies out of the water.
boski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:
Oh wait a minute, my bf came to visit, but he got no bites since he was a vegetarian. He never got any bug bites.

So maybe men don't get bitten as much as women? (Except for Nadjazz's husband!)

So my question to you all that seem to attract bugs is what food do you often eat? Do you eat a lot of meat? If you're a vegetarian, that would blow my theory re: bugs don't like veggies out of the water.

Sorry to blow your theory, unless your theory only applies to fleas .. another creature I detest. My husband and his friend are devout carnivores, eat steak all the time, and they NEVER get bitten by mozzies. In my 14 years of knowing him, he's never been bitten by mozzies that I can recall (because I'm right there next to him and they feast on me). However, fleas do bite him. So the mystery continues as to why no mozzie bites on him Think ...

BTW, I got an email from the Agraco distributor and he sent me 3 testamonial letters from people singing praises. They all had full names and addresses on them, so they looked legitimate. Gives me some hope.

But it's going take months for these dang bumps to heal and fade Sad
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
boski wrote:
bkkgirl wrote:
Oh wait a minute, my bf came to visit, but he got no bites since he was a vegetarian. He never got any bug bites.

So maybe men don't get bitten as much as women? (Except for Nadjazz's husband!)

Sorry to blow your theory, unless your theory only applies to fleas .. another creature I detest. My husband and his friend are devout carnivores, eat steak all the time, and they NEVER get bitten by mozzies. In my 14 years of knowing him, he's never been bitten by mozzies that I can recall (because I'm right there next to him and they feast on me). However, fleas do bite him. So the mystery continues as to why no mozzie bites on him Think ...

BTW, I got an email from the Agraco distributor and he sent me 3 testamonial letters from people singing praises. They all had full names and addresses on them, so they looked legitimate. Gives me some hope.

But it's going take months for these dang bumps to heal and fade Sad

Boski, what kind of food do you eat most often? I definitely think food is one of the attractions, but there are also some other things like a man probably has different hormones which make them smell differently to bugs than women.
luckylouie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:46 pm      Reply with quote
B group vitamins and garlic both help considerably. B group vitamins are needed for all metabolic functions, are cheap to buy and water soluble, so even if you don't think you're low on b vitamins, get a supplement anyway.

Add garlic to your food when you can, or get one of the odourless supplements, but even if you don't want to add the garlic, please add the b vitamins.
boski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 7:28 am      Reply with quote
bkkgirl- I eat a balanced diet of proteins, mostly eggs, chicken, seafood, or beef with green vegetables and no refined sugar or refined carbs. I don't eat much dairy. I don't eat a whole lot of anything in particular.

luckylouie- How much of the B complex do you suggest? Any recommendations on brand? I already take a multi that has 25 mg of B1, B2, and B6 and 25 mcg of B12.

The Agraco patches I'm thinking of using has 300 mg of B1, but the body can only utilize 75 mg, the rest is excreted through urine and sweat, which is how it deters mosquitoes. I like the convenience factor too, since I already take so many supplements each day and I'm not outside except during weekends.
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 01, 2007 9:46 am      Reply with quote
boski wrote:
bkkgirl- I eat a balanced diet of proteins, mostly eggs, chicken, seafood, or beef with green vegetables and no refined sugar or refined carbs. I don't eat much dairy. I don't eat a whole lot of anything in particular.

luckylouie- How much of the B complex do you suggest? Any recommendations on brand? I already take a multi that has 25 mg of B1, B2, and B6 and 25 mcg of B12.

The Agraco patches I'm thinking of using has 300 mg of B1, but the body can only utilize 75 mg, the rest is excreted through urine and sweat, which is how it deters mosquitoes. I like the convenience factor too, since I already take so many supplements each day and I'm not outside except during weekends.

Boski, sounds like you have a good sound diet plan. So maybe it's something in your hormones. Maybe females produce hormones that attract bugs more than males? Don't know for sure. I wonder if people who are diabetic attract more bugs.

Be careful with a patch. It can be irritating on your skin. I tried a patch once and my skin was scary red around the patch, and super itchy. My skin doesn't like gummy stuff on it I suppose.
gwynethhung
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 04, 2007 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
burt's bee herbal insect repellent is really good
Chrissie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 04, 2007 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
I thought I was a bug magnet, so it's good to know I'm not alone. There could be 200 people in a room with 1 flea. I would bet anything I own, that the flea would bite me first.

5% products discount

Sat May 05, 2007 8:45 am      Reply with quote
i was told to take vitamin b6 before and during my holiday to stop mosquitos. Didn't get bit like normally so it must have worked! Very simple solution if i was the b6. I didn't use anything else and there were plenty of bugs!
havana8

Sat May 05, 2007 9:36 am      Reply with quote
I am a total bug magnet, too, which drives me crazy Laughing Whenever we are on vacation, I am always the one covered in bites that swell and itch... definitely not a pretty sight. Confused This last trip, though, I brought along something called "SkeeterBeater" and can only say good things about this stuff--it works! it smells pleasant! it helps to repel that bug buzzing from around your exposed parts! and, as a blend of essential oils, it's all natural.

http://www.naturesgift.com/skeeter.htm

Interestingly, everyone I have ever given a sample to has asked where to buy it after trying it.
boski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:08 am      Reply with quote
Well, I tried the B1 thiamine mosquito patches and slathered on the Nature's Gift Skeeter Beater oil and I still got bit bad over the weekend at the lake. I'm very frustrated that nothing (even Deet) seems to stop them from biting me and my daughter while hubby never gets bitten. We are going to be on the lake quite a bit over the summer.

So can somebody who is taking Vitamin B supplements and/or garlic supplements for this recommend a brand and dosage??

Thanks
alice~in~wonderland
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:57 pm      Reply with quote
It's skeeter season again in Edmonton. And they have long (painful!) stingers this year.

I read (but haven't tried) that mixing rosemary oil with catnip is a good natural repellant against mosquitos. Anyone else have any homemade remedies?
chorally
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:57 pm      Reply with quote
The scent of tea tree oil and lavender could help, you could spray it on your body.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:41 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |