Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Shiseido Mascara Base. Any good????
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
thatgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:58 am      Reply with quote
I saw a good review of Shiseido Mascara Base in GLAMOUR magazine. Has anyone used it and what did you think????
jn1234
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
I used the Shiseido Mascara Base a few years. As my eye lashes are very short, I have tried a few mascara bases. Shiseido Mascara Base is quite good but not my favourite one.

My number one pick is Lancome XXL Booster as it's easy to apply evenly and the effect is better.

I tried the japanese version of Shiseido Mascara Base which was called "dramatical eyes base". The effect was quite good but it's not as easy as Lancome XXL on the application.
Rjez
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
omg - for me (short Asian lashes) the Shiseido mascara base is HG.

I've tried just about every mascara base out there but this is the only one that (drum roll please) ... HOLDS the curl!

Seriously - I fell asleep with makeup on last night and this morning my lashes are still curled! What girl with Asian lashes can say that?

Of course other than that ... it doesn't extend your lashes as well as others with fibers, and it doesn't add as much volume as others ... but did I mention that it holds a curl?
Nijey
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
It does a decent enough job of lengthening, volumizing, holding a curl and waterproofing your mascara, but I didn't really like it. It dries too quickly and gets clumpy, resulting in spider lashes, and it did not hold a curl nearly as perfectly as Ardell + Maybelline Full & Soft mascara (waterproof). The curl was there, but it drooped and didn't look as good. Expensive stuff too. Now I only use it on my bottom lashes when I put mascara on them to keep it from smearing.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:47 pm      Reply with quote
I'm opposite of jn1234, the Lancome did nothing for me, even MAC Prep Prime Lash was better than the Lancome.

Shiseido's mascara base is also my HG, I don't find it a problem with clumping at all (you gotta be careful not to use too much) it holds my curls very well. It doesn't volumize/lengthen on its own but it DOES enhance those effects depending on the type of mascara you use afterward. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's a PAIN to take off. But on the flip side because it's hard to take off it doesn't smear/smudge either no matter how you rub.
hopemelody
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:12 pm      Reply with quote
I like it for two reasons. one being it is the only one that holds the curl, and another being it is a greyith color so that after I apply mascara on top, I won't see any white dots on my lash.
cuppre
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:06 am      Reply with quote
As said by most of the posts above the Base holds curls. I have the asian eyelashes and the only thing I have found so far that holds my curl is Shiseido Mascara base. With this on I can put on two or three coats of a volumising mascara with no fear.

Only thing is that you need to comb your eyelashes straight after applying the base, to ensure no clumps since it is a dryish gel formula. It also leaves my lashes quite soft, instead of crunchy! Laughing
LL
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:39 am      Reply with quote
I have been using Shiseido Mascara Base for the last month because of all the great reviews at Makeup Alley and I really like it so far. Like some of the posts state, it doesn't lengthen or volumize very much on its own, but it enhances every mascara that I have tried. Trust me, I have tried about 15 different mascaras over the last month because the Max Factor 2000 Calorie mascara is no longer available in Canada. From what I was told, Canada will no longer sell Max Factor. So after having used Max Factor since I was a teenager, I had to hunt for a new HG masacara. I find that Rimmel Lycralash works great with my Shiseido Mascara Base. On days when I want to condition my lashes a bit, I use Marcelle Healthy Lash. Warning though: Marcelle's Healthy Lash does not give a dramatic look, but with the help of Shiseido Mascara Base, it gives my asian lashes definition without clumping. Plus, when I wore Healthy Lash alone, it flaked like crazy. With Masacara Base, it has been absolutely fine.

Cheers
poofybabypenguin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:48 pm      Reply with quote
omg I can go on and on and on about this base! I have straight Asian eyelashes that don't curl. I have used curling mascaras, curling wands, and of course, eyelash curlers, but they all look great in the beginning but uncurl within 5 minutes. My eyelashes are so stubborn that I basically stopped wearing mascara for years (except during special events where I feel like I kinda have to). I stopped wearing mascara and just basically gave up hope on the whole eyelash concept because me with mascara and me without mascara looks the same. I ended up playing around with eyeliner alot more because it actually results in a noticeable change.

NOW let's start with the Shiseido mascara base..it is the ONLY mascara formula (I've gone through 30 at least) that actually holds the curl. And I mean HOLDS! I can use it in the morning and at night it is still perfectly curled. I love it because it is a gray gel so no telltale white base shows. It is also not very clumpy so whatever you put on top it won't look too heavy. In terms of voluminizing or lengthening, it's pretty good but I cannot say it is the best. The voluminzing and lengthening depends a bit more on the mascara that you wear on top. So usually if I want amazing nighttime lashes, I put on the base, followed by a lengthening mascara and then a voluminizing mascara and it looks great. This base is also not stiff at all. If you wear a basic mascara on top (my fav is Bonne Bell Eyestyle mascara) you eyelashes will look natural, curled, and feather-soft.

I think this mascara is loved by the Asian population because of the CURL (remember, they're so stubborn that I lost hope in ever attaining the curl Crying or Very sad ). But in terms of volume and length, I doubt it if it is the very best. So if your eyelashes curl easily and you're looking for a base that gives you amazing volume and length, Shiseido won't do. But if like me, you're looking for curl and a little extra volume/length, then Shiseido will be your HG Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
Been my HG mascara base for well over a year - I wear it every day!

Can't find a mascara I love, but at least I have a base!!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:45 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |